PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR's Benny Parsons dies at 65

tony hipchest
01-16-2007, 06:06 PM
the former champ and nbc broadcaster died today. i guess benny was to nascar, what meridith or gifford were to the nfl, as far as "in the booth" goes. anyone who has watched racing knows him. he was a great broadcaster and a great racer with an eye for talent. even after missing races last year ue to his cancer, he was right back in the booth, although looking sick. his insight and personality helped me become more of a fan.

in other shocking news (for me anyways) was that bobby hamilton also lost his battle with cancer 8 days ago. the nascar family will miss both.

83-Steelers-43
01-16-2007, 06:11 PM
RIP Mr. Parsons and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

tony hipchest
01-16-2007, 06:23 PM
RIP Mr. Parsons and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.thats cool of you to say. i know your not a nascar fan but if any newbies were checking it out on tv, BP would call a race that explained everything to them but never got repetitive, redundant, or stale. a very compelling broadcaster, especially when many think of nascar as stale as it is.

he was the voice of the sport. a modern day nfl version of john madden or al michaels.

he was a taxi driver before becoming a racer. :chuckle:

In Cowher We Trust
01-16-2007, 06:35 PM
i always loved benny...RIP benny

83-Steelers-43
01-17-2007, 12:01 PM
thats cool of you to say. i know your not a nascar fan but if any newbies were checking it out on tv, BP would call a race that explained everything to them but never got repetitive, redundant, or stale. a very compelling broadcaster, especially when many think of nascar as stale as it is.

he was the voice of the sport. a modern day nfl version of john madden or al michaels.

he was a taxi driver before becoming a racer. :chuckle:

On Sports Center this morning they had a special on him. He seemed like a stand-up guy in and away from the booth. How old was he Tony? He couldn't have been too old?

tony hipchest
01-17-2007, 12:41 PM
On Sports Center this morning they had a special on him. He seemed like a stand-up guy in and away from the booth. How old was he Tony? He couldn't have been too old?he was 65. he was the champ in 1973, and also a daytona 500 winner. i think he retired in 88 and went directly to the booth. part of his appeal (and i think something that helped nascar go a little more mainstream) was that he didnt have that typical southern drawl, goin on that made people think he was just some hick or redneck.

definitely stand up. last season he was diagnosed and hospitalized, yet he returned to the booth a few weeks later and you could tell he was visibly sick. you could hear it in his voice but he motored on. they took out half his lung in december and thought the cancer was cleared.

Suitanim
01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
NASCAR had him in their top 50 all-time drivers. He had some detractors who didn't like his style in the booth, but I liked listening to him talk about the old days and how the sport had changed.

R.I.P. Benny