PDA

View Full Version : Overweight Head Coach, Super Bowl Championship history says NO WAY!

Steel Pit
01-17-2007, 03:50 AM
With all of the talk of Russ Grimm possibly being named the Steelers next Head Coach, I say that you may want to reconsider your support of Grimm. Super Bowl Championships are VERY RARELY won by teams with an excessively overweight Head Coach. Russ Grimm would certainly qualify as being excessively overweight.

Say what you want but Super Bowl winning history SPEAKS VOLUMES. I've looked at the past 40 Super Bowls and found that only 2 Super Bowl winning Head Coaches would qualify as being excessively overweight, John Madden and Mike Holmgren. Some of you may be saying Bill Parcells and I'll counter by saying that Parcells was not excessively overweight when he won his Super Bowls.

A Super Bowl winning percentage of only 2% for excessively overweght Head Coaches should spell DOOM for Grimm's chances of landing the Steelers Head Coach position.

Just look at the remaining Head Coaches for this weekends Conference Championship games. Do you see any obesity? Heck no, the fat was melted last weekend. Sure Andy Reid and Mike Holmgren have had success in their coaching careers but I believe that we as Steelers fans are looking for a little more than a Head Coach who consistently loses Conference Championship games and Super Bowls as both Reid and Holmgren have done.

Preacher
01-17-2007, 03:59 AM
With all of the talk of Russ Grimm possibly being named the Steelers next Head Coach, I say that you may want to reconsider your support of Grimm. Super Bowl Championships are VERY RARELY won by teams with an excessively overweight Head Coach. Russ Grimm would certainly qualify as being excessively overweight.

Say what you want but Super Bowl winning history SPEAKS VOLUMES. I've looked at the past 40 Super Bowls and found that only 2 Super Bowl winning Head Coaches would qualify as being excessively overweight, John Madden and Mike Holmgren. Some of you may be saying Bill Parcells and I'll counter by saying that Parcells was not excessively overweight when he won his Super Bowls.

A Super Bowl winning percentage of only 2% for excessively overweght Head Coaches should spell DOOM for Grimm's chances of landing the Steelers Head Coach position.

Just look at the remaining Head Coaches for this weekends Conference Championship games. Do you see any obesity? Heck no, the fat was melted last weekend. Sure Andy Reid and Mike Holmgren have had success in their coaching careers but I believe that we as Steelers fans are looking for a little more than a Head Coach who consistently loses Conference Championship games and Super Bowls as both Reid and Holmgren have done.

You know, with stats like that.. Your turning this into a baseball forum!!! :sofunny:

LarryNJ
01-17-2007, 04:18 AM
I guess you may have a valid point. How can someone lead a team and get the most out of all their athletes when they don't have enough discipline to take care of their own bodies?

rags1336
01-17-2007, 06:40 AM
I understand Grimm was an offensive lineman but he should have slimmed down after his playing years, most o-linemen do that. The guy just doesn't look like a head coach to me. I made fun of him on another board saying he was suing McDonalds for naming Grimmus after him, I cought hell for that from all the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette faithful who think just because it was in the paper that he will be our next coach.

stillers4me
01-17-2007, 06:46 AM
While I fail to see what Grimm's weight has to do with his skills and knowledge as a coach (and I am a firm believer in doing everything we can to maintain a healthy weight), I must comment from woman's perspective that Bill Cowher appeared to be ......ummmm.... quite well disciplined......

polamalufan43
01-17-2007, 06:49 AM
While I fail to see what Grimm's weight has to do with his skills and knowledge as a coach (and I am a firm believer in doing everything we can to maintain a healthy weight) and must comment from woman's perspective that Bill Cowher looked ......ummmm.... quite well disciplined......

lol,
I have to agree that Cowher looked pretty much healthy throughout the years. As for teh overwieght coach thing, it might be just by chance that this happens. But it might reflect on the coach's discipline of the team.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Infamix
01-17-2007, 08:05 AM
After I first looked at this thread, I laughed, but there actually may be some truth to it.

Think about it. If you had a personal trainer, what would inspire you more: An overweight trainer, or a completely jacked or fit trainer. I'd take the latter, and this may be different than coaching a football team, but you guys are right; it shows the lack of discipline.

Btrice
01-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Studies have shown that people who are in good shape or are working towards being in good shape perform better at their jobs because they are able to think more clearly, they get sick less frequently, and they have more energy to get through the day.

Thats just the stuff that will help out on any job, the benefits for a position such as football coach are even more abundant. Such as: setting a good example for any players looking to emulate Duce, being able to keep up with the pace of practice during the hot days at training camp, being able to RUN onto and off the field at halftime, or the end of the game, or to jam a photo in a referee's pocket.

MACH1
01-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Only two hmmm maybe third time a charm :pig: :smile:

plenewken
01-17-2007, 11:40 AM
After I first looked at this thread, I laughed, but there actually may be some truth to it.

Think about it. If you had a personal trainer, what would inspire you more: An overweight trainer, or a completely jacked or fit trainer. I'd take the latter, and this may be different than coaching a football team, but you guys are right; it shows the lack of discipline.

That reminds me of the bald barber trying to sell all kind of stuff preventing hair loss. LOL
There are lots of fatties in the US, and some of them are NFL HC. Doesn't make them any less credible and any less competent IMO.

I've seen pretty lousy slim HCs too. Schottenheimer being a prime example.

Infamix
01-17-2007, 12:02 PM
That reminds me of the bald barber trying to sell all kind of stuff preventing hair loss. LOL
There are lots of fatties in the US, and some of them are NFL HC. Doesn't make them any less credible and any less competent IMO.

I've seen pretty lousy slim HCs too. Schottenheimer being a prime example.

lmao @ the bald guy selling hair regrowth

58Lambert
01-17-2007, 02:39 PM
... or to jam a photo in a referee's pocket.

:toofunny:

fansince'76
01-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Madden and Holmgren are both fat slobs. Parcells was on the chunky side when he was with the Giants as well - outside of that, you're right, I can't think of any overweight HCs that won the SB.

58Lambert
01-17-2007, 02:53 PM
I still cannot believe Holmgren actually gets $8 mil a year, talk about being a little overpaid. Sure he took them to the SB last year and the playoffs this year, but HECK... they're playing in the NFC!! If there is any one coach in this league who deserves $8 mil it's gotta be Bill Belichek (sp?). I'd love to have him as our new HC.

SteelerFanInCA
01-17-2007, 03:41 PM
He could always diet. :smile:

Steelers
01-17-2007, 04:16 PM
It's true! Andy Ried won't ever win the big one.

sumo
01-17-2007, 04:45 PM
I think you're all wrong - Lombardi - fat ass, Hank Stram fat ass, Parcells fat ass, Madden fat ass, Weeb Ewbank fat ass, Holmgren fat ass, Chuck Knoll..just kidding -- Weight of the coach has absolutely nothing at all to do with the success of a football team - Andy Reid's teams usually over achieve -- there are some really good lard ass coaches around (Weiss) so please stop making fun of them - they have feelings too...:crying01:

fansince'76
01-17-2007, 08:36 PM
I think you're all wrong - Lombardi - fat ass, Hank Stram fat ass, Parcells fat ass, Madden fat ass, Weeb Ewbank fat ass, Holmgren fat ass, Chuck Knoll..just kidding -- Weight of the coach has absolutely nothing at all to do with the success of a football team

Yep, forgot about ol' Weeb. Besides, I'm tired of hearing how great the Pats are on other threads and our season is over. Why not talk about B.S.?

MommyDoc
01-17-2007, 10:29 PM
I also don't feel weight has anything to do with coaching ability.

Plus, I wish you all could have seen Russ when he went 212 in his HS days and all the girls lusted after him (except me.....I had a huge crush on brother Dave).

LarryNJ
01-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Andy Reid's teams usually over achieve --

I'd say they under achieve. They lost 3 NFC Championship games in a row. Lost at Rams who were a better team. Got whooped at home by Tampa even though the Eagles were a 1 seed. Were the 1 seed the next year and lost to Carolina. They would have at least 2 rings if he was 50 lbs lighter! :)

tony hipchest
01-18-2007, 12:46 AM
im suprised litp hasnt moved this obvious joke of a thread to the blast furnace yet. thats probably because i havent mentioned that the pats would still be superbowl losers, surpassing the magnitude of the bills and vikings, if charlie weiss didnt get his gastro bypass surgery.

since hes become head coach of notre dame you would think hes still choking away too many hot dogs, the way he keeps choking on bowl games.

in other news (just to highlight the rediculousness of this thread): we could very well see the 1st superbowl being played with 2 black head coaches, which means one would win.

tony hipchest
01-18-2007, 12:53 AM
im curious to see the % of fat coaches vs. skinny coaches in the history of nfl vs. superbowl winning skinny coaches and those fat ones who never made it.

Steel Pit
01-18-2007, 06:14 AM
im curious to see the % of fat coaches vs. skinny coaches in the history of nfl vs. superbowl winning skinny coaches and those fat ones who never made it.

We'll let you do the research TONY! I'll guarntee you that the skinny or more fit coaches have dominated. It's a known "FACT" that FIT persons produce a hell of a lot more than FAT persons. You know, people don't get FAT by hustling and if you're going to win Super Bowls as a head coach you're going to have to work harder than the opposing coaches. I just don't see a FAT coach working harder than a FIT coach, PERIOD!
The toughest jobs in the world are held by FIT people. So you go on believing what you want to believe. FIT, FAT, it doesn't matter? Now that type of logic is a freaking JOKE!

Steel Pit
01-18-2007, 06:28 AM
I think you're all wrong - Lombardi - fat ass, Hank Stram fat ass, Parcells fat ass, Madden fat ass, Weeb Ewbank fat ass, Holmgren fat ass, Chuck Knoll..just kidding -- Weight of the coach has absolutely nothing at all to do with the success of a football team - Andy Reid's teams usually over achieve -- there are some really good lard ass coaches around (Weiss) so please stop making fun of them - they have feelings too...:crying01:

The key words were "excessively overweight". There's no way that Lombardi, Stram, Ewbank or Noll would be considered excessively overweight. I would call them chubby/husky.

Steel Pit
01-18-2007, 06:31 AM
im suprised litp hasnt moved this obvious joke of a thread to the blast furnace yet. thats probably because i havent mentioned that the pats would still be superbowl losers, surpassing the magnitude of the bills and vikings, if charlie weiss didnt get his gastro bypass surgery.

since hes become head coach of notre dame you would think hes still choking away too many hot dogs, the way he keeps choking on bowl games.

in other news (just to highlight the rediculousness of this thread): we could very well see the 1st superbowl being played with 2 black head coaches, which means one would win.

African American Head Coaches haven't had ANYWHERE NEAR the opportunity to win Super Bowls as the FAT coaches have had so what's your point?:dang:

stillers4me
01-18-2007, 06:37 AM
African American Head Coaches haven't had ANYWHERE NEAR the opportunity to win Super Bowls as the FAT coaches have had so what's your point?:dang:

Here's an innovative idea.......how about hiring the best and most qualified person regardless of skin race, creed or physical appearance. :wink02:

Big D
01-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Why dont you start naming coaches that are fat that couldnt get it done besides Andy Reid?

Buzz05
01-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Why dont you start naming coaches that are fat that couldnt get it done besides Andy Reid?

Im just playing devils advocate here. I dont agree with the assumption that fat head coaches cant get it done...however here are a few that couldnt :

1) Dennis Green-imploded in Arizona and lost control in Minn.
2) Wayne Fontes - terrible coach to begin with and without Barry Sanders would have been fired a lot sooner
3)Art Shell-No explanation needed

...throw in Andy Reid and you got 4 coaches that cant get it done...thats not enough to say 'Fat' guys cant are bad head coaches. Thats like saying because Ryan Leaf was a terrible QB in the League all Washington State QB's are terrible. Just a generalization.

Btrice
01-18-2007, 11:33 AM
The key words were "excessively overweight". There's no way that Lombardi, Stram, Ewbank or Noll would be considered excessively overweight. I would call them chubby/husky.

Same here, when Parcells won he was chubby/husky as well.

Me thinks there are some chubs or chubby chasers defending their kind in this thread.

Big D
01-18-2007, 11:37 AM
Same here, when Parcells won he was chubby/husky as well.

Me thinks there are some chubs or chubby chasers defending their kind in this thread.

Defending there own kind? You got to be kidding me.

this thread is gotta be one of the worst threads ever posted. Saying someone cant win because they are fat is like saying an african american coach cant win. It's all very irrelevent.

tony hipchest
01-18-2007, 11:40 AM
gee. i guess dan reeves and marv levy couldnt get it done because they were fat. :rolleyes:

you know, there have been plenty of skinny coaches that couldnt get it done either. steel pit could easilly put up the numbers to back his claim.

take the total numbers of coaches who were in the nfl and break that into 2 groups: fat/ non fat. then take the % of those 2 groups that have won a superbowl. only 40 superbowls have been won, and many by repeat coaches. i dont think the numbers and percentages will be that far off.

fat vs skinny is not an indicator.

Big D
01-18-2007, 11:51 AM
gee. i guess dan reeves and marv levy couldnt get it done because they were fat. :rolleyes:

you know, there have been plenty of skinny coaches that couldnt get it done either. steel pit could easilly put up the numbers to back his claim.

take the total numbers of coaches who were in the nfl and break that into 2 groups: fat/ non fat. then take the % of those 2 groups that have won a superbowl. only 40 superbowls have been won, and many by repeat coaches. i dont think the numbers and percentages will be that far off.

fat vs skinny is not an indicator.

I couldnt agree with you more tony. And I guess Marty Schottenheimers a real fat a$$ too.

Buzz05
01-18-2007, 12:00 PM

What a load of crap

sumo
01-18-2007, 01:23 PM
I'd say they under achieve. They lost 3 NFC Championship games in a row. Lost at Rams who were a better team. Got whooped at home by Tampa even though the Eagles were a 1 seed. Were the 1 seed the next year and lost to Carolina. They would have at least 2 rings if he was 50 lbs lighter! :)

IMHO, the eagles have won year after year with no names at their skills positions with the exception of Donovan McNabb...if Reid were available right now - I would put him at the top of the list to replace Cowher...

Big D
01-18-2007, 02:13 PM
IMHO, the eagles have won year after year with no names at their skills positions with the exception of Donovan McNabb...if Reid were available right now - I would put him at the top of the list to replace Cowher...

I couldnt agree with you more. How many of us had the eagles ruled out when mcnabb went down again.

sumo
01-18-2007, 02:32 PM

OK - excessively overweight - yeeeeeeaaaaahhh - ok so how many "excessively overweight" head coaches are out there? - I guess Charlie Weiss maybe? oh and I was kidding about Knoll(please re-read previous post) - so I guess you're right if we hire a guy that has to be lifted out of his house with a fork lift, then he won't take us a to a Super Bowl - I stand corrected...

Btrice
01-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Just because someone says that few fat coaches HAVE won a championship, doesn't mean that they CAN'T win a championship, otherwise we couldn't point to Madden and Holmgren.

But it also doesn't say that if a coach is skinny they will win a championship.

This post was not ridiculous until you folk speaking in converse to the OP's intentions came in here making it ridiculous. The OP stated that in super bowl history only 2 coaches who have won have been obese.

All you simple minded dolts are the ones saying that the weight of the guy is the REASON why he won or didn't win. The OP was simply pointing to statistical FACT. I was simply giving reasons why being slimmer or in better shape could contribute to being more effective. Don't make a stupid post in a thread completely twisting its intention then have the gall to call the thread stupid.

And the reason I said people were defending their own is I was giving people the benefit of the doubt that their reading comprehension abilities were up to snuff to see that the OP, again, was pointing to statistical FACT.

Oh and what current coaches are morbidly obese? Without looking anything up on the net I'd point to Reid, Holmgren, Parcells (now), and Shell.

Normally Tony you seem like a more on top of the ball kind of guy, this gross misinterpretation is uncharacteristic of you. I see where you are going with the whole % game, but I still think 2/40 is a pretty low %, and its not quite the situation as it is with the black head coaches and the fact there have REALLY been very few of them.

As for some the others who have done the same, your lack of intelligence is why I don't post around here too often anymore. Yeah yeah I know, don't let the door hit me on the way out, blah blah. :rolleyes:

nicesteel4life
01-18-2007, 05:17 PM
If you want to debate grimm as being too fat to be a superbowl head coach, tell me this. How many non-white coaches have won a superbowl? None! there hasent even been one there yet! This year will be the first chance at that. So I guess we shouldn't want Tomlin either. I laugh sometimes when i read stuff like this. I know I dont have enough time on my hands to compare things like this. It shouldn't matter race color or creed. Its what you do when your there.

SteelCzar76
01-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Here's an innovative idea.......how about hiring the best and most qualified person regardless of skin race, creed or physical appearance. :wink02:

And this ladies and gentlemen,....is the proverbial "Bottom Line".

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

tony hipchest
01-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Normally Tony you seem like a more on top of the ball kind of guy, this gross misinterpretation is uncharacteristic of you. I see where you are going with the whole % game, but I still think 2/40 is a pretty low %, and its not quite the situation as it is with the black head coaches and the fact there have REALLY been very few of them.

As for some the others who have done the same, your lack of intelligence is why I don't post around here too often anymore. Yeah yeah I know, don't let the door hit me on the way out, blah blah. :rolleyes:

2/40 huh? 40 coaches havent won the superbowl. im just going offa memory hear so i may miss a few

lombardi - 2
landry -2
noll -4
shula - 2
gibbs - 3
parcels - 3
walsh - 3
johnson - 2
belichick - 3

9 coaches here have won 24 (more than half) the superbowls.

so about only 25 head coaches have won a superbowl. thats a ratio of 1:12 of fat to slim.

are you saying theres a higher ratio of 1 in 12 coaches in the nfl being obese (not just last year- 40 years of data would be needed)?

the "gross misinterpretation" was probably just a gross misrepresentation in the 1st place. theres just not that many fat coaches in the nfl. to say if they were equally capable of winning a superbowl 20/40 of the bowls woulda been won by the fat ones, would be totally incorrect.

i stand by my initial statement. the % of fat superbowl winning coaches is probably = to the % of fat coaches hwo have coached in the nfl. unless someones got the numbers i wont believe otherwise. im not gonna go pull up all the weight and numbers cause i think its a pretty bogus premise in the 1st place. even if it is higher for slim coaches i would say its just coincidence.

Btrice
01-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Yes but the fact that only two of those 40 superbowls were won by fat coaches still stands.

Like I said, I see where you are going with this, but without the numbers, which I don't blame you for not wanting to look up, to back up the argument that 2/X (fat superbowl winners / total individual superbowl winners) is roughly equal to Y/Z (fat NFL coaches / total coaches) its not worth even saying. Its just like making up a statistic off the top of your head. 78% of people would agree with me.

The fact of the OP still stands, 2/40 superbowls were won by fat coaches. Even if a single coach won the other 38 super bowls, as long as he was not fat: 2/40 superbowls were won by fat coaches.

Besides, I didn't have as much problem with your argument in that post as in others' posts. Nobody said that a fat man can't win a superbowl. With the way some people reacted you'd think the OP said something along the lines of "A black man doesn't deserve to win the Superbowl."

Oh and <insert touchy-feely cliche so I can have random people agree with me>

tony hipchest
01-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Yes but the fact that only two of those 40 superbowls were won by fat coaches still stands.

Like I said, I see where you are going with this, but without the numbers, which I don't blame you for not wanting to look up, to back up the argument that 2/X (fat superbowl winners / total individual superbowl winners) is roughly equal to Y/Z (fat NFL coaches / total coaches) its not worth even saying. Its just like making up a statistic off the top of your head. 78% of people would agree with me.

The fact of the OP still stands, 2/40 superbowls were won by fat coaches. Even if a single coach won the other 38 super bowls, as long as he was not fat: 2/40 superbowls were won by fat coaches.

Besides, I didn't have as much problem with your argument in that post as in others' posts. Nobody said that a fat man can't win a superbowl. With the way some people reacted you'd think the OP said something along the lines of "A black man doesn't deserve to win the Superbowl."

Oh and <insert touchy-feely cliche so I can have random people agree with me>the problem i have with this thread is that its like saying catholics make the best presidents because 1/1 (kennedy) has been a great leader. theres just not enough in the sample pool to make a generalized statement like that stick.

i would say mean joe green wasnt fat he was just a big athelete. warren sapp is fat. if you look at film of football players in the 40's and 50's there werent a ton of fat people playing the o-line and d-line. they were pretty much big atheletic guys.

i totally agree with your take on the research between medical obesity and relitave success in society, i just dont think it translates that well to football. the reason there havent been as many black coaches or fat coaches is because it is a profession that has been pretty much dominated by white jocks.

if you put the stats up after madden's run in the 70's it would look like fat coaches were pretty successful.

have any single men ever won a superbowl? does this mean our next coach must be married? a single man has never been president. does this mean all singles are poor leaders?

Btrice
01-18-2007, 07:35 PM
No, and thats not how I took it I guess.

Now if your last question was more like: A single man has never been President, what are a single man's chances of being President? What about a single man makes him not a good President?

Only two obese men have won a Superbowl, what are the chances another obese man has of winning the Superbowl (a lot higher than a single man has of winning the Presidency obviously) What about an obese man lessens his chances of winning a Superbowl?

Personally I would never follow an obese man into an athletic competition no matter how smart he is at the game mechanics. If he can't do the minimum to keep himself in shape, what kind of example does that show to younger players in terms of drive and work ethic?

Ok, I know your argument with that one, the fact that he works 70+ hour weeks shows his work ethic. But a man that big has to be eating to get that big, unless he's Samoan (had a friend in college who was Samoan, the kid gained weight looking at food). I don't want to watch my coach shoveling down twinkies while I'm trying to watch film. And I'm sorry but its a fact that in today's society (and I'm not saying it is right) less respect is given to people who don't take care of their appearance. Bill Belichick is an abnormality, that guy dresses and acts like a bum, but he has the rings and the record to back it up. Do you think that the current "street urchin Belichick" would have gotten the same respect back in the beginning of the NE dynasty as this guy was getting? Sure he would have gotten most of the respect, but a lot of people are more willing to just poke playful fun at your appearance when you have already shown your ability to win.

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/image/2002/other/bill204.jpg

MommyDoc
01-18-2007, 08:49 PM
This whole thread makes me sick. As a physician, I can tell you, there are many more reasons for obesity than just eating too much. You tend to forget that many of today's coaches who played in the NFL in the 80s used steroids......it wasn't illegal then and everyone did it. That is but one possible reason for obesity in an ex-lineman. There are many others. You cannot judge a man without walking in his shoes and you CERTAINLY cannot say he cannot make a good coach just because of his weight! That is the most petty and immature thing I have ever heard! I am glad not everyone on this board shares such a small-minded opinion!

Steel Pit
01-19-2007, 03:39 AM
This whole thread makes me sick. As a physician, I can tell you, there are many more reasons for obesity than just eating too much. You tend to forget that many of today's coaches who played in the NFL in the 80s used steroids......it wasn't illegal then and everyone did it. That is but one possible reason for obesity in an ex-lineman. There are many others. You cannot judge a man without walking in his shoes and you CERTAINLY cannot say he cannot make a good coach just because of his weight! That is the most petty and immature thing I have ever heard! I am glad not everyone on this board shares such a small-minded opinion!

I'm suprised to learn that this particular logic is coming from a physician. There may be many causes of obesity but it doesn't take a physician to know that the vast majority of obese people are obese simply because they EAT TOO MUCH AND DO TOO LITTLE which equates to LAZY.

Furthermore, no one said that an obese head coach couldn't be a "good" coach. It was simply pointed out that "excessively overweight" head coaches have had VERY LITTLE success at winning Super Bowls. I'm sure that the Rooney's, along with the Steelers fans, would like to see us hire someone beyond a "good" coach. I believe that we ALL want to see a Super Bowl winning head coach and history tells us that MOST Super Bowl winning head coaches have traveled via the "FIT PATH".

I don't believe that I'll jump on board with your theory that "many of today's coaches who played in the NFL in the 80's used steroids........it wasn't illegal then and EVERYONE did it". Everyone??????????
Come on Doc, what's up with that allegation? Now that truly might be the most "petty and immature thing that I've ever heard". You're now the one who's caught judging men without walking in their shoes. What a small minded opinion you have.

In closing I'll say this. If I'm going to hire someone to mow my lawn then I'm going to hire someone who's FIT not FAT. IF I hire a housekeeper they will be FIT not FAT. IF I go to the club and pick up a girl she's going to be FIT not FAT, and if my beloved Steelers are going to hire a head coach then I'm sure as hell permitted to hope for someone who's FIT not FAT.

That's just my small-minded opinion but I prefer it over a BIG-minded opinion.

Btrice
01-19-2007, 09:13 AM

Actually I'm gonna have to agree with Steel Pit about your false logic. I worry about a physician that knows so little about steroids. As a bodybuilder (hobby, not profession) I've done a TON of research on the subject before making my decision not to use them and I can tell you that their obesity has nothing to do with steroids. I've seen people with gynocomastia and the "moon face" who were otherwise not fat. Sure, their body's own production of testosterone could have been slowed to a crawl, but if it was that bad to cause their obesity they would be having other problems that would probably keep them from such a demanding job.

NOW, that being said, yes there are other reasons why a person can be obese and its not from eating. T3 and T4 (thyroid) issues is probably #1 on that list, but again that is one that causes a lot of other problems that would be prohibitive to a stressful job like head coaching, such as gross lethargy. But still, I won't rule it out. Why? Because it still has very little to do with the point of the post.

Finally, you (somebody smart enough to go through the rigors of medical school too!?), like the others, must have been sick on reading comprehension skill day in elementary school. Nobody is saying that a fat man "cannot make a good coach." Not even close. I'm done reexplaining the point. Go back and read, or have somebody read it for you.

Big D
01-19-2007, 01:36 PM
this whole thread has been false logic. I cant believe that this thread has made it as far as it has. This is ridiculous

sumo
01-19-2007, 02:03 PM
this whole thread has been false logic. I cant believe that this thread has made it as far as it has. This is ridiculous

Hey come on Big D - it makes perfect sense - if you're overweight you can't win a Superbowl - of course it has to be a certain amount overweight as to seem excessive as in about 40 lbs or more - well no because that would bring in Lombardi and Ewbank ...wait a minute ok -- at least 50 lbs over - no wait a minute that would bring in Stram ...ok I got it - you would have to be at least 100lbs overweight - yeah - that's the ticket - so now all we have is Madden and since Holmgren was only 80 lbs overweight - he doesn't even count --- so yeah here it is - sound logic: if you are 100lbs or more overweight and your name is not Madden - you have no chance of ever winning a Superbowl - done!!!! - now go ahead - try and refute that!!! - Even Socrates can't argue with this logic!!

Haiku_Dirtt
01-19-2007, 02:04 PM

Left out of this intellectual debate is that skinny women haven't had much Super Bowl success either. Hasn't this group in our society suffered enough already. Living on blow and celery sticks. Paraded around in flamboyant French "high fashion". Camera flashes. Spending a healthy 5-10 minutes with their heads in toilets after every 'meal'.

Now that's dicipline!!

Let's see. Who will take us to the bottom of the AFC North first? A fat head coach or a "fathead" QB who has no problem hitting a moving New Yorker and no problem hitting a receiver NOT wearing black and gold.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-19-2007, 02:08 PM

Not false logic. Since we're talking about Russ Grimm and his weight. It's PRETZEL LOGIC.

Mustard anyone?

Big D
01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Hey come on Big D - it makes perfect sense - if you're overweight you can't win a Superbowl - of course it has to be a certain amount overweight as to seem excessive as in about 40 lbs or more - well no because that would bring in Lombardi and Ewbank ...wait a minute ok -- at least 50 lbs over - no wait a minute that would bring in Stram ...ok I got it - you would have to be at least 100lbs overweight - yeah - that's the ticket - so now all we have is Madden and since Holmgren was only 80 lbs overweight - he doesn't even count --- so yeah here it is - sound logic: if you are 100lbs or more overweight and your name is not Madden - you have no chance of ever winning a Superbowl - done!!!! - now go ahead - try and refute that!!! - Even Socrates can't argue with this logic!!

i'm sure there will be some witty come back about how there theory is right on this one.

Btrice
01-19-2007, 02:36 PM

I am now convinced you people are not just stubborn and illiterate, you actually have some sort of mental handicap. There is no other explanation, I'm sorry. At least Tony was able to make coherent argument and it was actually enjoyable debating with him. How old are you two, like 15? Take a note from the supermod who is only 15, that is maturity, try it out.

Oh and its THEIR theory, not there theory. If you are going to flame, at least spell correctly.

tony hipchest
01-19-2007, 02:48 PM
I am now convinced you people are not just stubborn and illiterate, you actually have some sort of mental handicap. There is no other explanation, I'm sorry. At least Tony was able to make coherent argument and it was actually enjoyable debating with him. How old are you two, like 15? Take a note from the supermod who is only 15, that is maturity, try it out.

Oh and its THEIR theory, not there theory. If you are going to flame, at least spell correctly.i agree that obese people probably suffer from more depression, have a shorter life expectancy, etc. but like i said earlier, the only problem i have with this premise being applied to grimm as the next head coach is that its boarderline saying a black qb cant win a superbowl.

but if you look, 50% of all black qb's to play in a sb have won. 50% of all white qb's who have played in a superbowl have lost. funny stuff you can do with math and stats.

sumo
01-19-2007, 02:59 PM
i agree that obese people probably suffer from more depression, have a shorter life expectancy, etc. but like i said earlier, the only problem i have with this premise being applied to grimm as the next head coach is that its boarderline saying a black qb cant win a superbowl.

but if you look, 50% of all black qb's to play in a sb have won. 50% of all white qb's who have played in a superbowl have lost. funny stuff you can do with math and stats.

careful Tony - you're sounding too immature now - please don't manipulate math and stats like that - it's immature - oh and apparently it's 'mentally handicapped' also...

Big D
01-19-2007, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=Btrice;207639]I am now convinced you people are not just stubborn and illiterate, you actually have some sort of mental handicap. There is no other explanation, I'm sorry. At least Tony was able to make coherent argument and it was actually enjoyable debating with him. How old are you two, like 15? Take a note from the supermod who is only 15, that is maturity, try it out.

Oh and its THEIR theory, not there theory. If you are going to flame, at least spell correctly.[/QUOTE
This shouldnt be an arguement. I find this thread offensive and quite ridiculous. And a mature person wouldnt be argueing that an overweight head coach couldnt win a superbowl.

Btrice
01-19-2007, 03:01 PM
i agree that obese people probably suffer from more depression, have a shorter life expectancy, etc. but like i said earlier, the only problem i have with this premise being applied to grimm as the next head coach is that its boarderline saying a black qb cant win a superbowl.

I understand what you mean, and I agree with you. I just know that I would probably listen more to a Tomlin type guy than a Grimm.

Nobody commented on my example reference to the change in Belichick. A couple of the football fans in the office here thought that was a great point as to how appearance is used as a measure of success/initial respect in this society. Instead I have the three stooges talking about Socrates and stuff.

Tony I would be more than willing to discuss this thread further for you. I'm going to go look for an ignore feature for those three though.

Btrice
01-19-2007, 03:06 PM

Oh and its THEIR theory, not there theory. If you are going to flame, at least spell correctly.
This shouldnt be an arguement. I find this thread offensive and quite ridiculous. And a mature person wouldnt be argueing that an overweight head coach couldnt win a superbowl.

OK I AM GOING TO GET THIS THREAD CLOSED AND GET BANNED FOR THIS, BUT IT IS WORTH IT JUST TO TELL OFF A STUPID F*** LIKE YOU AND THAT DOUCHEBAG SUMO. FIRST OF ALL, GET A F***ING SPELLING LESSON. SECOND OF ALL LEARN HOW TO READ. I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE SAID IN THIS THREAD THAT NOBODY IS SAYING THAT A FAT MAN CAN'T WIN A SUPERBOWL. I'VE EVEN SET THE WORDS IN BOLD/CAPS EACH TIME, SO TAKE YOUR ADHD HAVING ASS AND GO BACK AND READ MY POSTS BEFORE MAKING YOUR STUPID F***ING COMMENTS. I'M OUT.

sumo
01-19-2007, 03:10 PM
I understand what you mean, and I agree with you. I just know that I would probably listen more to a Tomlin type guy than a Grimm.

Nobody commented on my example reference to the change in Belichick. A couple of the football fans in the office here thought that was a great point as to how appearance is used as a measure of success/initial respect in this society. Instead I have the three stooges talking about Socrates and stuff.

Tony I would be more than willing to discuss this thread further for you. I'm going to go look for an ignore feature for those three though.

Those you are referring to were using sarcasm to argue logic - something a lot of columnists and cartoonists do on a regular basis -- none of us have said anything personal aimed towards any of the posters in this thread - go back and read and you will see words and phrases including : immature, stubborn, illiterate, mentally handicapped, three stooges, etc - all personal attacks and none of them made by the posters you are referring to as the "three stooges"....

Big D
01-19-2007, 03:10 PM
see ya!

Btrice
01-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Those you are referring to were using sarcasm to argue logic - something a lot of columnists and cartoonists do on a regular basis -- none of us have said anything personal aimed towards any of the posters in this thread - go back and read and you will see words and phrases including : immature, stubborn, illiterate, mentally handicapped, three stooges, etc - all personal attacks and none of them made by the posters you are referring to as the "three stooges"....

How would you like it if every time you were having a debate or conversation, I would come in, completely misunderstand what you were saying and call your argument ridiculous? You'd call me names too, dips***. Oops theres another one. And now, I've become the immature one. Well I've tried every other means to get your attention to the fact that you've misinterpreted my argument, big letters, bold, caps, single sentences so as to not lose your 3-second attention span. None seem to work. But now I got your f***ing attention huh? Too bad I had to reduce my post's intelligence level to do it, but I think I was finally successful.

Nice BigD, sarcastic glee at my leaving, I didn't see that coming. Great success.

Big D
01-19-2007, 03:17 PM
How would you like it if every time you were having a debate or conversation, I would come in, completely misunderstand what you were saying and call your argument ridiculous? You'd call me names too, dips***. Oops theres another one. And now, I've become the immature one. Well I've tried every other means to get your attention to the fact that you've misinterpreted my argument, big letters, bold, caps, single sentences so as to not lose your 3-second attention span. None seem to work. But now I got your f***ing attention huh? Too bad I had to reduce my post's intelligence level to do it, but I think I was finally successful.

Nice BigD, sarcastic glee at my leaving, I didn't see that coming. Great success.
excuse me for not begging you to stay. Quite honestly there was no need for all of the personal attacks you did in this thread. It was uncalled for.

Btrice
01-19-2007, 03:21 PM
excuse me for not begging you to stay. Quite honestly there was no need for all of the personal attacks you did in this thread. It was uncalled for.

Yes it was called for. Normal adult methods of reasoning were not working. You two continue to post in the thread that you already called ridiculous. There are names for people who do that and have 2000+ posts in less than a year, they are typically referred to as "trolls." Again thats some nice work. I'm just waiting for you to post "I thought you were leaving?", and then the douchebaggery will be complete.

tony hipchest
01-19-2007, 03:22 PM

Tony I would be more than willing to discuss this thread further for you. I'm going to go look for an ignore feature for those three though. it was a great point. and true. bealichick has earned the right to look and act like an ass.

as far as the looks aspect i will add to it.

bill gates. college drop out, blue jeans type guy. looks like a geek
donald trump. graduates from wharton. gets all the girls

both are sharp as a tack, but if it came down to hiring one (assuming it was before all their current success) d. trump probably gets the job EVERY time.

im just guessing here but when it comes to closing a deal, i bet trump has more success. when it comes to developing a product and pushing it (more behind the scenes stuff, i bet gates has the edge)

appearance definitely matters and fat vs. skinny certainly applies. i just dont think it applies as much to being a head coach as say it would in the board room or fitness trainers.

i know obeisety rates are going up in america (just like they have in football). im curious if the % of fat players in football is the same as fat people in the general population

Big D
01-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Yes it was called for. Normal adult methods of reasoning were not working. You two continue to post in the thread that you already called ridiculous. There are names for people who do that and have 2000+ posts in less than a year, they are typically referred to as "trolls." Again thats some nice work. I'm just waiting for you to post "I thought you were leaving?", and then the douchebaggery will be complete.

no, I will tell you that this thread and your arguements are very offensive. And I think many on this board will tell you i'm not a troll. But think what you want.

Btrice
01-19-2007, 03:25 PM
it was a great point. and true. bealichick has earned the right to look and act like an ass.

as far as the looks aspect i will add to it.

bill gates. college drop out, blue jeans type guy. looks like a geek
donald trump. graduates from wharton. gets all the girls

both are sharp as a tack, but if it came dowmn to hiring one (assuming it was before all there current success) d. trump probably gets the job EVERY time.

im just guessing here but when it comes to closing a deal, i bet trump has more success. when it comes to developing a product and pushing it (more behind the scenes stuff, i bet gates has the edge)

appearance definitely matters and fat vs. skinny certainly applies. i just dont think it applies as much to being a head coach as say it would in the board room or fitness trainers.

i know obeisety rates are going up in america (just like they have in football). im curious if the fat players in football is the same as fat people in the general population)

Good analogy. I think we would actually have to ask the players themselves how much it matters to them and the F.O. people making the hiring decisions. I'm sure in the case of Grimm, since they know him to be qualified its not an issue at all, maybe its not even that much of an issue in the NFL at all because most if not all coaches need to have a proven track record before getting the job, whereas maybe in college football some coaches are picked up from lower tier schools many people have no idea about.

Btrice
01-19-2007, 03:27 PM
no, I will tell you that this thread and your arguements are very offensive. And I think many on this board will tell you i'm not a troll. But think what you want.

They are meant to be offensive, just like I find you and Sumo interrupting Tony and I's debate with stupidity that doesn't add to the conversation to be offensive. So I've done my job. You go to your corner and I'll go to mine.

HometownGal
01-19-2007, 03:32 PM
OK I AM GOING TO GET THIS THREAD CLOSED AND GET BANNED FOR THIS, BUT IT IS WORTH IT JUST TO TELL OFF A STUPID F*** LIKE YOU AND THAT DOUCHEBAG SUMO. FIRST OF ALL, GET A F***ING SPELLING LESSON. SECOND OF ALL LEARN HOW TO READ. I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE SAID IN THIS THREAD THAT NOBODY IS SAYING THAT A FAT MAN CAN'T WIN A SUPERBOWL. I'VE EVEN SET THE WORDS IN BOLD/CAPS EACH TIME, SO TAKE YOUR ADHD HAVING ASS AND GO BACK AND READ MY POSTS BEFORE MAKING YOUR STUPID F***ING COMMENTS. I'M OUT.

Your wish is my command. Sorry, Tony and the others who posted in this thread with good intentions.

THREAD CLOSED.