B McFadden 704 k 2008 season
D Townsend 1.9 mil 2009 season
R Colclough 747 k 2007 season
C Iwoma UFA

FS A Smith 533 k 2008 season
R Clark 1.9 mil 2009 season

SS T Polamalu 1.6 mil 2007 season
T Carter UFA

More often than not the steelers front office plans ahead. Typically they dont allow themselves to be surprised or caught off guard. Normally if they make a commitment to a player or coach, they will first take care of the business side of the game and get any contract issues taken care of long before a guy comes close to being a free agent. That being said, many of the contracts on this depth chart are somewhat in limbo.

As we approach the draft, many of us will spend countless hours researching and debating just who exactly the steelers will or should select with the 15th overall pick in the 2007 draft.

Many of us, on this site or sites like it, spend time pining for unrealistic player transactions and acquisitions....No Lance Briggs will not end up being a Steeler, Nor is Calvin Johnson... hell I have heard people on this site clammor for Randy Moss.

Instead most decisions within the Steeler front office are made with info just like the depth chart.... Who do we got?.....For how long?....For how much?....Who is there to replace him?....How much does he cost?..... You get the idea

Okay lets put our GM or player personnel hats on....I urge all to look over the depth chart/salary info and based on that:
-Where are our immediae needs?
-Whose contract and depth chart status tells you that he will be gone...SOON
-What positions are thin....not just on talent, but also taking contracts into consideration
-How does all of this affect the draft in your eyes?

I have read many posts wanting a DB to be taken early in this years draft.... the info provided makes that highly unlikely.

the LB section shows obvious flaws (more than any other position) from starters to backups....Joey's contract situation, Farriors age, Haggans is rapidly approaching the dreaded 30th birthday, which is llike a death sentence for most NFL'ers, other than James Harrison we have ZERO quality depth (Arnold Harrison showed flashes but not enough & he isnt under contract at all)

Isnt that crazy....the steelers with problems at LB!!!!! I never thought I would see that!!!!

Hopefully this info helps anyone out there who is missing meaningful steeler news as much as me :tt02:

Infamix
01-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Hey thanks for all this information coachspeak....I agree that we need to address our aging linebackers. Porter's contract issue is going to be a big off-season story. But I trust our FO to fix it, because they always find good linebackers to fit in great in our system.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-17-2007, 09:10 AM
EXCELLENT POST!!!! Thank you very much...!!!

coachspeak33
01-17-2007, 09:16 AM
If I combined ability/production (which obviously is only my opinion), depth, and contract status I would rank order of need (based on position) like this:

1. LB
2. OL
3. RB
4. WR

Elvis
01-17-2007, 10:29 AM
If I combined ability/production (which obviously is only my opinion), depth, and contract status I would rank order of need (based on position) like this:

1. LB
2. OL
3. RB
4. WR
:coffee:
In my opinion only... I just cant agree with your list or atleast not all of it. I really believe that if MLB Patrick Willis is still there when the Steelers pick then we should grab him. He will replace one of our Middle guys whether it be Farrior or Foote eventually. He is a man among boys in college and I just think he would fit the Steelers mold perfectly. My list looks like this
1. DB or OL
2. OL or DB
3. LB
4. DL
5. Crazy I know... Punter :jawdrop: :wave:

coachspeak33
01-17-2007, 10:33 AM
although OL and RB are awfully close IMO.... Faneca will get resigned.... The new HC and his staff will find a couple of starters out of the current mix of Starks, Colon, Simmons, and Kenmo....

The only real OL question in my eyes is the C position.... is Hartings done?.... Can Okobi be the guy?.... Did they keep Marvin Phillip around for a reason?

Also, this post isnt a knock on Willie Parker....I love what fast willie brings to the game....but to carry the rushing load for a 16 game season and then hopefully 4 playoff games is an awful lot to ask of one RB these days.... look around the league.... a lot of teams are going to a two back system....

I should specify that many teams are using day 1 draft picks to add an extra RB.... not just go find some lefftovers who have been cut!!!!

there are some good ones in this years draft:
Peterson, Bush, Lynch are probable Rnd 1 picks
Tony Hunt, Pittman, are a couple of probable Day 1 picks

Any interest in these guys?

Boulder257
01-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Wow, nice post! Very informative and it includes some rather significant logic. This is the stuff I love to see, especially when our season is over. I get tired of the usual whining, wishing, etc. This post removes emotion and uses logic. Nice work!

Boulder257
01-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I would take Pittman, but then again I am a buckeye...lol

Truly though I agree about the Willie logic there. I like him and I think he is a terrific back. I would take him over many others in the league, but he needs someone to rest him during a game and we NEED a short yardage guy. Pittman can get those yards for us. Also, why not continue to go after Duckett?

coachspeak33
01-17-2007, 10:47 AM
wedosesteelers2006,
I will have to check out some info on Willis...sounds like he might be a good fit to replace Farrior.

I must disagree with your list however...the steelers do not have the financial or contractual flexibility to use a round 1 pick (or Rd 2 IMO) on a DB
-Our Saftey spots are filled:
-Troy isnt going anywhere
-Clark contract runs through the 09 season
-Obviously many are excited by Anthony Smith's potential and the Steelers will control his contractual rights for at least 3 more seasons similar to Ike and Starks' situation

3 pretty good safties IMO
-Our DB's are tied up contractually for a while
-Ike just signed the big deal (jury is still out on the quality of that deal)
-McFadden could become a RFA after 08, and a UFA after 09
-Deshea's deal runs through 09 and it is not an overly expensive contract
-Coclough is a relative bargain right now to serve as our Dime back

I know that NFL contracts arent guaranteed... but what is guarenteed is that if we cut any of those guys while under contract we lose cap dollars.... some of these guys (especially the CB's) really had bad years ..... but not bad enough to pay them $$$$$ while they sit at home or play for someone else.

Maybe a 3rd rounder.......MAYBE.....but most DB selected by the Steelers in this years draft will be on day 2

MACH1
01-17-2007, 10:49 AM
Truly though I agree about the Willie logic there. I like him and I think he is a terrific back. I would take him over many others in the league, but he needs someone to rest him during a game and we NEED a short yardage guy. Pittman can get those yards for us. Also, why not continue to go after Duckett?

:iagree:

I'm not too sure about Duckett but we do need someone who can give Willie a breather now and then who can also pick up the short stuff, maybe Veron or Davenport will be the guy but it might not hurt to try and pick up someone thru the draft or a FA.

Dook
01-17-2007, 11:03 AM
I think the free agent list has more clues to the offseason than the depth chart or salary cap.

Steelers 2008 Free Agents
CB Ricardo Colclough RFA
OT Trai Essex RFA
OG Alan Faneca
LB Clark Haggans
DE Travis Kirschke
FB Dan Kreider
S Troy Polamalu RFA
LB Joey Porter
OG Kendall Simmons
DE Aaron Smith
LB Rian Wallace RFA
WR Nate Washington RFA

The big names are Porter, Haggans, Polamalu, and Faneca. I don't think either Porter or Haggans will stay with the team because of age, reduced performance, and mostly because they've priced themselves out of a job. If either wishes to take a pay cut then they might remain with the team but I don't see it. I think James Harrison is Porter's replacement for 2-4 years so the need for LB's is not a big as first thought.

We might look at free agency for an LB and we'll probably take one OLB and an ILB in the draft. I'm not as big on the 1st rounder LB's as others are, Patrick Willis and Lawrence Timmons are the only two I think might be 1st round worth to us at this time. Plenty of good LB will be available in the later rounds, Everett, Alexander, Blades, Waters, Bishop, Taylor, Ismail.

I think we keep Faneca for a few more years despite his age. I think we keep Aaron Smith but we'll draft a DE. And Troy's not going anywhere.

Simmons has always been our weakest lineman, I think this year Kemo will start ahead of him and we'll draft a guard as well. I like OG Kurt Quarterman in the 4th.

Remember we have 9 or maybe 10 picks this year (either two 4th comp. or a 4th and a 5th) so we're going to have plenty of opportunity to draft needs. I don't believe that the 1st round LB's and OL are significantly better than the 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th round ones so I'm looking more toward drafting a playmaker in the 1st, either WR Jarrett or RB Lynch. CB Revis is also high on my list of 1st rounders.

coachspeak33
01-17-2007, 11:05 AM
bcrabt,
No doubt we need another QUALITY running back....

Verron has proven that he is only consistent at being inconsistent!!!!
Najeh had injury problems during his entire stay in GB and i dont trust any player from "THA U"

Sometimes when you have a quality organization with good scouts who provide good depth you can fill holes from within.... hell, look at Willie Parker

I firmly believe the we need to look outside our organization to fill this hole.... A hole by the way that killed way too many drives this season

Steeldude
01-17-2007, 11:25 AM
the aging LBs should have been addressed years ago. the steelers became content with average LBs.

porter - old, overpriced, inconsistent and overrated. a product of the steelers' 3-4 defense.

haggans - getting old, but still a few miles left. just an average LB.

farrior - getting old. lost a couple of steps.

foote - does anyone get mowed down more than this guy? weak LB who is a product of the system. does he ever collect any stuffs?

1. LB
2. OL
3. LB or OL(BPA)
4. LB or OL(BPA)

MACH1
01-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Not dissing Willie but he was arm tackled way to many times and we need somebody big and strong enough to run or fall forward thru those and be able to get the short yards.
I know the Bus is gone and he cant be replaced, but how many times did one player ever arm tackle him?
All I'm saying is we need somebody thats big enough to run thru people when needed and not around them. IMO

Steeldude
01-17-2007, 11:51 AM
if bettis was hit before the scrimmage he usually dropped instantly. bettis isn't that hard to replace. take a fat RB and give him the ball.

the running attack has more to do with the poor O-line than the RBs at this point. too many defenders in the backfield too fast. upgrading the O-line is a must, IMO.

Dook
01-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Jerome Bettis' best ability, besides his size and speed, was his footwork. He would get the ball, stutter step to the left to delay enough for the guard to open a hole, then steamroll his way through it.

If a fat RB could do the job then Staley should have gotten a chance.

Upgrading the OL is a must? Sure but how do we do that?

I don't think you've taken a serious look at the free agent's available and the OL available to us at our #15 pick, basically we can't upgrade our OL.

tony hipchest
01-17-2007, 07:22 PM
I firmly believe the we need to look outside our organization to fill this hole.... A hole by the way that killed way too many drives this seasoni wonder is marshall faulk has any gas left in the tank for 1 more year, or if he is as done as duce.

Dynasty
01-17-2007, 08:17 PM
umm... he will probably retire... and he is gonna be to busy doing analysis for nfl network....

MommyDoc
01-17-2007, 08:20 PM
I think our first priority is in resigning/restructuring some contracts, then we see where our needs lie in the draft.

First and foremost....RESIGN TROY!!!!!!!
I think Faneca should be a priority too, and I like what I've seen from Carter and Krieder plays a unique role in our offensive scheme. I like what he does and don't think he'd fit as well anywhere else.

If Smith and Porter are willing to restructure their contracts and take paycuts, then keep them, but their level of play does not warrent the hit we take with their salary cap value.

We also need a new punter, pure and simple. Whether he comes from FA or the draft, we need one desperately. I love Jeff Reed, but his kick offs are falling off and he needs some competition in training camp to keep his job and pick it up a notch.

The rest of the guys who are up for FA or whose contracts expire after 07 I am neutral about.

tony hipchest
01-17-2007, 08:23 PM
umm... he will probably retire... and he is gonna be to busy doing analysis for nfl network....rumor is he's not so much in a hurry to be pushed out the nfl door. granted he is probably done and does real well on the nfl network. BUT...if there were gas in the tank... (keep in mind he actually knows how to BLOCK on 3rd down)

Steeldude
01-17-2007, 08:24 PM
I don't think you've taken a serious look at the free agent's available and the OL available to us at our #15 pick, basically we can't upgrade our OL.

getting rid of simmons and hartings would be an upgrade:smile:

Showdaddeee
01-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Nice post. A true Steeler fan there.

Elvis
01-21-2007, 07:14 AM
if bettis was hit before the scrimmage he usually dropped instantly. bettis isn't that hard to replace. take a fat RB and give him the ball.

the running attack has more to do with the poor O-line than the RBs at this point. too many defenders in the backfield too fast. upgrading the O-line is a must, IMO.
:jawdrop: who are you to come in here and put off on the bus? Jerome made more yards after contact than you think kid. You need to watch the man run the ball and how many hits this man took to his knees and his chest and how many men like Urlacher he ran over... I dont know where you got that he dropped nearly instantly everytime...:toofunny: :wave:

Sharkissle29
01-21-2007, 12:31 PM
get rid of cedick...hes making too much

stillers4me
01-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Not only resign Troy......but give that boy a raise!!!

lilyoder6
01-21-2007, 02:07 PM
i do beileve that pitt might pick up paul p. from penn state to be a linebacker.... he is good in any of the pos.... and we can pick up some ppl in the free agency this yr... there are many players that will be in the pool this yr that are very good....

coachspeak33
01-29-2007, 09:11 AM
probably not gonna be too much cash available for the Steelers to throw around....unless we have some high priced guys retire (Hartings, Gardocki, etc) or the Steelers Front Office decides to make some salary cap casualties (Porter, Smith, Farrior, Wilson, Simmons, etc).

I cant wait for this Super Bowl to come and go.... so that we will be able to see what the steelers and other teams off season plans are.

If we wanna remain a runnning team under Tomlin....we gotta get a better No 2 RB than Najeh or Verron.

I like Verron cause he plays ST's and is a much better 3rd down blocker than Najeh.

CrazySteelerFan
01-29-2007, 10:17 AM
I say keep Verron and if he is still there get Tony Hunt out of PennState.

Anybody else thinking about drafting a good back in the first round? Dont get me wrong, i love willie, but we need the bigger back to compliment him in this offense.

hartings is gonna retire and i think chukky can feel the role if givin more playing time. With faneca next to him the kid is gonna learn alot about being a lineman in the NFL.

thanks for letting me join the BEST FORUM about our favorite team!!!!!!!!!!

kren
01-29-2007, 12:05 PM
I say keep Verron and if he is still there get Tony Hunt out of PennState.

Anybody else thinking about drafting a good back in the first round? Dont get me wrong, i love willie, but we need the bigger back to compliment him in this offense.

hartings is gonna retire and i think chukky can feel the role if givin more playing time. With faneca next to him the kid is gonna learn alot about being a lineman in the NFL.

thanks for letting me join the BEST FORUM about our favorite team!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe draft him in the second round. Their will be much better RB's then tony hunt at 15 overall. IMO they need a DE that can pressure the QB consistently or a hell of a cover DB.

They can address the need for a back up RB in free agency or 3rd or 4th round.