PDA

View Full Version : lawrence maroney vs. indy defense

tony hipchest
01-17-2007, 09:08 PM
i was wondering why the prized #1 pick of the pats had a horrible showing of 5 rushes, 5 yards against the chargers and was supplanted by the role player, k. faulk. i remembered that after the cincinatti game his name was thrown around as a possible rookie of the year candidate and the best RB in the draft. after looking into it further it seems he only does half descent against the powder puff defenses in the nfl. the better defenses shut him down.

you would think that facing the worst rush defense in the league this weekend, he will be due for a huge game, but the colts have shown to be able to shut down power backs such as larry johnson and jamal lewis of late.

maroney had a great game against cinci (who doesnt) -125, good game vs titans (73 yds), and decent games against the colts (60+) and green bay (about 80 on 20 carries). 86 and 65 against his 1st 2 games with bills and jets.

denver 12-18
miami 18-38
bills 8-29
vikings 8-34 (22 yds gained on 1 run)
chicago 13-33
detroit 4-14 (he mustve broke down and got hurt during this game he put up o'fers in the next 2)

jax 7-48 (27 gained on 1 run marking his best game against a strong defense)

is he a bust?

Hines0wnz
01-18-2007, 01:50 AM
I'm thinking Vince Young had more rushing yards than he did.

patsdynasty
01-18-2007, 06:15 AM
I don't think he's lived up to the hype. But it's way too early to determine whether or not he's a bust.

He also strained his rib cage early in the season. That has had an effect. I don't know if I would catagorize him a power back. He does have some power but I think of him as a more of a speed back.

He dances too much. It seems like he either gashes one for 12 yards or gets dropped at the line of scrimmage. He needs to hit it more quickly. And as much as I like him (especially in goal line situation), Corey Dillon seems ot have lost a step speed wise. All in all I don't think their RB tandem as as good as advertised.

That being said, I think if the Pats can get a TE in the seam and get Sanders out of the box, they should be able to run very effectively against the Colts. Yes I realize James Sanders is back. But he is getting way too much pub. One guy (a good but not great player) is not going to make that much of a difference. It's not like the Colts defense morphed into the 86 Bears. I think the Pats will mainly spread the field with 5 WR and throw.

But yeah, I'm a little worried. I was just mentioning to a guy the other day the Pats probably could have done better with the 21st pick. But again, it's too early. He's playing behind a line that at times gets manhandled and he isn't 100% healthy. Let's wait and see

stlrtruck
01-18-2007, 07:51 AM
What I really hope is that he has a few fumbles this week, deep in his own zone, giving Peyton and the Colts short fields. I think if the Colts can get up by 21, then they'll be ok. But they have to maintain that 21 point lead at all times!

tony hipchest
01-18-2007, 11:27 AM
That being said, I think if the Pats can get a TE in the seam and get Sanders out of the box, they should be able to run very effectively against the Colts. Yes I realize James Sanders is back. But he is getting way too much pub. One guy (a good but not great player) is not going to make that much of a difference. It's not like the Colts defense morphed into the 86 Bears. I think the Pats will mainly spread the field with 5 WR and throw.

But yeah, I'm a little worried. I was just mentioning to a guy the other day the Pats probably could have done better with the 21st pick. But again, it's too early. He's playing behind a line that at times gets manhandled and he isn't 100% healthy. Let's wait and seelooking at maroneys numbers you would just assume that dillon was carrying the load but thats not always the case. in many of the games dillon wasnt doing that great either, so thats a good point about their line getting manhandled, i think the main emphasis for their line is keeping brady upright, as opposed to the steelers, where it seems their main emphasis has always been run blocking. you cant deny that sanders has made a huge difference to the colts run stopping abilities. absolutely horrible in the regular season with out him, and the best run d in the playoffs with him, hence all the talk about him.

this is definitely a difficult game to guess which direction the offenses would go. brady is very effective going 5 wide and no huddle. but a good way to play the colts is ball control and keep the ball out of mannings hands. most teams dont want to turn it into a shootout against him. same with manning. very good in games that are gonna be a shoot out, but you wanna play ball controll and keep the ball out of bradys hands. brady had 4 int's last time against the colts. you would think both teams want to try and establish the run. that being said the opposite will probably happen. whichever set of coaches guesses correctly the most times will win. personally i hope they let caution go to the wind and its a shootout.

balls to the wall.

Hines0wnz
01-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Dillon has lost a few steps and seems to be running with low air on them almost bald tires. Could this be his last stab at a full season? Probably depends how Maroney pans out.

patsdynasty
01-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Yeah, you would think they would go with a ball control offense against the Colts. It makes sense. But traditonally they have used the spread very effectively against the Colts. And screens and slant can be just as effective as running as far as ball control. With the Pats you never really know until game day. But if I had to bet, I would say pass.

Either way, the Pats are very good at adapting to what the opposition is doing. They play a number of different styles very effectively on both sides of the ball. While the Colts are pretty much a one track train on offense. They are a finesse offense. I think that's one of the biggest reasons the Pats have dominated them for so long.

patsdynasty
01-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Dillon has lost a few steps and seems to be running with low air on them almost bald tires. Could this be his last stab at a full season? Probably depends how Maroney pans out.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in Oakland next year. There's no way the Pats are going to pay him the 5 or 6 million he's due next year.

tony hipchest
01-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Yeah, you would think they would go with a ball control offense against the Colts. It makes sense. But traditonally they have used the spread very effectively against the Colts. And screens and slant can be just as effective as running as far as ball control. With the Pats you never really know until game day. But if I had to bet, I would say pass.

Either way, the Pats are very good at adapting to what the opposition is doing. They play a number of different styles very effectively on both sides of the ball. While the Colts are pretty much a one track train on offense. They are a finesse offense. I think that's one of the biggest reasons the Pats have dominated them for so long.well, we saw what ty law did to manning 2 weeks ago. is it just a coincidence that the pats havent beatten the colts since law left. while i would normally agree that the colts were finesse, did you see them pound the ball down the ravens throats, during crunch time, when the ravens knew the colts were running to keep the ball out of their hands?

this could easilly be a game where the pats pass 55 times and run 10, and probably find some success with it. but then that would make THEM the finesse team. i think pride will get in the way here and they will attempt to prove they can win with a power running game.

as far as the pats dominance goes, in the last 6 games the colts have won the last 2. 2 of the others have been won by the pats by 3 points. those 3 points could very well be on the colts bench this time. should be a good game, but frankly, one im getting tired of watching. for the ist time in a long time, im actually looking more forward to the nfc matchup of the bears vs. saints.

Hines0wnz
01-19-2007, 01:42 AM

Either way, the Pats are very good at adapting to what the opposition is doing. They play a number of different styles very effectively on both sides of the ball. While the Colts are pretty much a one track train on offense. They are a finesse offense. I think that's one of the biggest reasons the Pats have dominated them for so long.

I dont see Caldwell and Gaffney having two monster games in a row. I figured one of them might versus San Diego but I think they blew their wad. If Watson and Graham dont dominate it wont matter how many times Brady throws, they wont win.