PDA

View Full Version : The Official Pick Your HC Thread

SteelCzar76
01-18-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm aware that the site has a poll addressing the selection of the next HC. But with that said,...i'm curious to know WHICH members of the fam are,....as i i'am,....Mike Tomlin supporters.

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Big D
01-18-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm aware that the site has a poll addressing the selection of the next HC. But with that said,...i'm curious to know WHICH members of the fam are,....as i i'am,....Mike Tomlin supporters.

You know I got his back.

Hines86Ward
01-18-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm all for Tomlin....

Russ Grimm would be a terrible selection. How can you get your players in shape when you're fatass yourself....

tony hipchest
01-18-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm all for Tomlin....

Russ Grimm would be a terrible selection. How can you get your players in shape when you're fatass yourself....so we got a colored candidate and a lard ass candidate. this is great. i can see steelerfans begin to hate on the new coach within his first day on the job.

im a supporter of the next steelers head coach, no matter who it is. i dont know who the best candidate is. but i will support whoever his hired the same.

one thing i do know... next year when cowher throws his hat into the head coaching candidate ring, EVERYBODY will know who the best candidate is.

noto45
01-18-2007, 07:41 PM
please no grimmmmmmm tomlin all the way

4n2t0
01-18-2007, 08:18 PM
so we got a colored candidate and a lard ass candidate. this is great. i can see steelerfans begin to hate on the new coach within his first day on the job.

im a supporter of the next steelers head coach, no matter who it is. i dont know who the best candidate is. but i will support whoever his hired the same.

one thing i do know... next year when cowher throws his hat into the head coaching candidate ring, EVERYBODY will know who the best candidate is.

I like Tomlin.

Preacher
01-18-2007, 08:32 PM
For some reason, I am a Mike Tomlin fan myself.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-18-2007, 08:41 PM
Tomlin baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MommyDoc
01-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Well Folks, Since the Opposition has started a Vote 4 Tomlin thread, I thought I would start a Vote 4 Russ thread. It is only fair that he be given equal time and space!

I was pleased that his 2nd interview lasted longer! I was also surprised by my 9-1/2 yo daughter, Kendyl, who came home from school yesterday with a homemade card for Russ wishing him luck in becoming the next Steeler coach! I mailed it off to him today---he should get a kick out of it! I just wish I would've scanned it first so I could've shared it with you all!

Russ Grimm for Coach! :helmet: :tt02:

MJ5150
01-18-2007, 09:42 PM
I hope the Rooneys read these threads before they cut the check to the next HC.

-Mike

Black@Gold Forever32
01-18-2007, 09:44 PM

I like Mike Tomlin alot Czar. I just hope if he is hired he doesn't ditch LeBeau and the Steelers stick with the 3-4. My main reasons the Steelers are built for the 3-4 and might take a few seasons to get the right players for the 4-3/cover2.

Hell I'll support Tomlin, Rivera and Grimm. I just want the coach named and then get ready for the NFL draft.

Showdaddeee
01-18-2007, 09:49 PM
I like Tomlin myself. He is a stud defensive coach that will stay in the 3-4 defense and hopefully he'll let the OC do his thing.

Stlrs4Life
01-18-2007, 10:15 PM
so we got a colored candidate and a lard ass candidate. this is great. i can see steelerfans begin to hate on the new coach within his first day on the job.

I'm with ya Tony.

WWIIOwheelz
01-18-2007, 10:44 PM
I don't know much about Rivera, but have heard some high praise from some Bears fans I know.

I'll be happy with either candidate I've seen so far.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-18-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm on Tomlin's bandwagon. :cheer: :tt02: :banana: :thumbsup:

NV STEELERS 723
01-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Since Whiz has left... and it surprised me... I think the Rooneys might go outside now... So Tomlin's interview was 3.5 hrs...... Grimms was 6.5 hrs.... they can't talk to Rivera till the Bears are done.... to me the HRS says lots.... the Rooneys are more likely to choose a guy that fits their Defense..... to me that says Tomlin....

OK.... you heard it here.... Tomlin is 34 like Cowher was..... he is a DC like Cowher was.... no head coaching exp. like Cowher.... Mike Tomlin has all the tools....... and the mind...

I just think the Rooneys will hire him.... I just hope Tomlin realizes what precious job he is getting..... we don't change coaches every other year ....

And if its Grimm.... and I don't think it won't be..... at least he won't look too far for a offensive cordinator...

Borski
01-19-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm with Tomlin unless the unlikely chance the Tony Dungey gets fired after his playoff loss for not being able to win the big one

nicesteel4life
01-19-2007, 12:39 AM
RUSS! RUSS! RUSS! I root for either of the three, we just need a coach! But as a old school'er I prefer Russ the most....Sorry all. Change is hard.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Well I had to do it...Open a thread for Riveria... this is an EOE board isn't it???:bouncy:

I think he must have impressed... why would they need 6 hours on a second interview for a coach that has been on staff for quite awhile ??

nicesteel4life
01-19-2007, 12:48 AM
I'm with Tomlin unless the unlikely chance the Tony Dungey gets fired after his playoff loss for not being able to win the big one

That would be CRAZY! But anything can happen in the NFL

Borski
01-19-2007, 01:00 AM
...sorry, I'm not big on Russ. but if he is who we get its fine with me.

Borski
01-19-2007, 01:05 AM
OMG! how many of these are we going to have?!

heres who I would like

1 Tony Dungey - (if the off chance he becomes avalible)

2 Tomlin - I think he would lead the team well

3 Riveria - he too would make a good HC

4 Grimm - least favorite of mine but would still suport him if he becomes HC

Borski
01-19-2007, 01:07 AM
can we have these threads merged though?

really a 'Vote for Tomlin/Riveria/Grimm thread' would serve the same purpose

tony hipchest
01-19-2007, 01:11 AM
can anyone give me 1 good reason why he should be the steelers HC other than the fact that hes been the dc for the bears the past 2 years?

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-19-2007, 01:12 AM
MIne was a joke , besides that there is a poll already..

augustashark
01-19-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm with Russ.

Preacher
01-19-2007, 02:55 AM
can anyone give me 1 good reason why he should be the steelers HC other than the fact that hes been the dc for the bears the past 2 years?

Because of the remaining coaches in the hunt, he seems to have ran the best overall defense, even though it was for a very short time (1 year) and in what many consider a softer division/conferance.

SteelersWoman
01-19-2007, 05:05 AM
I'm torn. I would like Russ (since the Rooneys lost WHIZ :dang: ) cuz he represents continuity. He's one of "our" guys, and I think he'd stay with the defense that seems to suit us. However, I wasn't all that impressed with how he coached this past season--whatever the reason was, somethin has changed, and I just don't have a lot of confidence in him after this past year. (Of course, it might just be because of the same reason the REST of our guys just didn't seem to have "it" this year, and hopefully they'll ALL come back lookin for a fresh start in '07).

I also think that Tomlin might do ok. Bring in some Tampa 2 to mix up with our 3-4 sometimes--keep the opponents never knowin WHAT they might be facin. However, he too
is "untried" as HC, and has never even played NFL football himself. But I think he'd probably do better for us than Rivera from everything I've read about him. He's young, and has MOSTly straightened out the Vikings--in a very short period of time, so who knows how well they could do if he were there longer? He also is said to have a great magnetic personality, (so the guys would probably wanna do well for him) but at the same time, he has a way of lettin them know he's in charge--so he's "nice", but not "TOO nice".

So outta the 3, those are my two choices, and of course I'll get behind whoever the Rooneys FINALLY decide on--even if it's Rivera. He LOOKS tough and mean enough to be a HC lol (It's just that I read somewhere that he seems to lack "passion" for the game"--and I don't think that sounds too good).

Steel Pit
01-19-2007, 05:23 AM
I'm on Tomlin's bandwagon. :cheer: :tt02: :banana: :thumbsup:

Me too!

stillers4me
01-19-2007, 06:13 AM
Well Folks, Since the Opposition has started a Vote 4 Tomlin thread, I thought I would start a Vote 4 Russ thread. It is only fair that he be given equal time and space!

I was pleased that his 2nd interview lasted longer! I was also surprised by my 9-1/2 yo daughter, Kendyl, who came home from school yesterday with a homemade card for Russ wishing him luck in becoming the next Steeler coach! I mailed it off to him today---he should get a kick out of it! I just wish I would've scanned it first so I could've shared it with you all!

Russ Grimm for Coach! :helmet: :tt02:

MommyDoc.....I must have missed earlier posts from you. How do you know Russ Grimm? Is he a friend of the family or are you related to him?

X-Terminator
01-19-2007, 06:32 AM
After much thinking, Tomlin is my #1 choice. The job he did with that horrible Minnesota D last season was remarkable. He's clearly a great defensive mind, and the Steelers have, of course, been about strong defense. I personally don't like the "Tampa 2" defense, but I'm sure that IF he doesn't retain LeBeau, he will come up with a defense that best utilizes our strengths.

I really like Rivera and he's done a great job in Chicago, and he would be my #2 choice...but IMO, Tomlin is a better fit for the Steelers.

stillers4me
01-19-2007, 06:42 AM
At this point....I'm totally confused..................................

I guess I'll just have to leave it up to the Rooney's. (duh)

I have a feeling that whoever gets the job, and we blow the roof off the league next year when we have an undefeated season (:cheer: ), that everybody will be on the Tomlin, Grimm, Rivera (insert name here) bandwagon except the the typical haters who will scream "Fire Grimm, Tomlin, Rivera (insert name here)!" after the first coaching mistake the man makes.

Here We Go, Steelers!!

HometownGal
01-19-2007, 07:41 AM
that everybody will be on the Tomlin, Grimm, Rivera (insert name here) bandwagon except the the typical haters who will scream "Fire Grimm, Tomlin, Rivera (insert name here)!" after the first coaching mistake the man makes.

Aint that the sad truth? :dang:

I am torn between Rivera and Tomlin. I like the fact that they are both DC's, are fairly young and would fit in well here in the Burgh.

I'm with Tony and the others, though. If Grimm gets the job - whoever - I'm going to stand behind him. I don't think the Rooneys will let us down with their choice. I'd say they did pretty darned well selecting the last two HC's. :wink02: :tt02:

HometownGal
01-19-2007, 07:47 AM
I took Borski's suggestion and merged all 3 of the vote for whoever threads, though again - there is a poll on the SF Home Page. Please keep all opinions on the 3 remaining HC candidates contained in this thread. Thanks! :smile:

Buzz05
01-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Whether its Grimm or Tomlin I think they will both be good. Grimm wants to be there and would be the old fashioned disciplinarian hard nosed guy and Tomlin is new young and firey..either or would be good. Rivera..i duno something just rubs me the wrong way about this guy...

58Lambert
01-19-2007, 10:31 AM
At first, I was eager for them to make a decision and I still am. But now that it's already been a couple weeks later into the process, I kinda would like them to wait to talk to Rivera a second time to see what he has to say. I'd hate to pass up a potentially great HC over a matter of another couple weeks... as long as Tomlin and Grimm aren't already snatched up in the meantime.

TackleMeBen
01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I would like to see Tomlin or Rivera.. Grimm looks too much like Matt Millen in Detroit.. and we all know how Detroit does ;)

Btrice
01-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Tomlin, without a doubt.

Preacher
01-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Okay.... let me say..... GO PITTSBURGH HEADCOACH!!!!

(Though I still am a little leary of Grimm... Just don't know why!)

MACH1
01-19-2007, 04:29 PM
We could just leave it up to these clowns. :sofunny:

http://z.about.com/d/realitytv/1/5/z/b/idoljudges.jpg

meanjoecoop
01-19-2007, 04:36 PM
I am gonna post this here since the original thread was CLOSED while I was typing. :pissed:

Since Ive seen a few responses concerning the looks of a coach I think it is applicable.

I think it?s more about image bothers some people more than anything else. I have grown accustomed to the Cowher image, the fire and physical nature of his leadership. I must admit (right or wrong) when I first saw a picture of Grimm, I thought there?s no way this guy can be the face of the Steelers. All I could envision was the image of Holmgren standing there after the Super Bowl crying ?I new we had to beat the Steelers, I didn?t know we?d have to beat the ref?s?. That whiney shmuck just bugs the heck outta me.

Over one third of the Super Bowls have been won by three teams (combined) in the NFL. The 49ers, the Cowboys and us. I don?t know how the coach?s weight affected those games. I think the owner?s choice?s played a big part. I trust the Rooney?s will make the best decision for the team?regardless of size.

Seth88101
01-19-2007, 04:44 PM
After watching some of Tomlin's prior press conferences, i'm even more convinced that he is the guy to lead the steelers. Here is one of them... He has the coach mentality, related well with the players, and knows what he is talking about. He also acts way beyond his age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfh7EX5XaDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8rVoDKITF4

Preacher
01-19-2007, 04:57 PM
After watching some of Tomlin's prior press conferences, i'm even more convinced that he is the guy to lead the steelers. Here is one of them... He has the coach mentality, related well with the players, and knows what he is talking about. He also acts way beyond his age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfh7EX5XaDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8rVoDKITF4

Yeah, I will tell you this much. The Confidence Tomlin oozes is infectious. Originally, I was a Rivera fan. But Tomlin is really winning me over.

Preacher
01-19-2007, 05:02 PM
We could just leave it up to these clowns. :sofunny:

http://z.about.com/d/realitytv/1/5/z/b/idoljudges.jpg

BCRABT...:bat:

Preacher
01-19-2007, 05:51 PM
And then... I go and read something like this about Rivera... and I am thoroughly impressed... and swing back to Rivera as head coach...

By The Tribune-Review
Friday, January 19, 2007

Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, one of three finalists for the Steelers' head coaching job, talked Thursday with the Tribune-Review. Here are some excerpts of what he said. On getting the chance to become a head coach in the NFL:
"Maybe last year I should have got a shot, but I didn't. I know the Rooneys have a specific idea of what they're looking for, and my first interview I thought was very positive. I got a feel of what they were looking for, and I really loved what I heard from them in terms of the direction they believe they're headed, the support they're going to give the coach."
On the appeal of working for the Rooney family:

"Coach (Bill) Cowher was there for 15 years and probably could have been another 15 if he wanted. Chuck Noll was there forever, and I think that speaks very well for whoever the next head coach is because you know you're going to have the opportunity to be there awhile and win awhile." On not getting a chance to interview with the Steelers a second time until the Bears' season is over:
"I would love to be able to (interview with the Steelers again) but also in the same respect I've got a great job here in Chicago with a great organization, a family-oriented organization. Coach (Lovie) Smith has been tremendous for me and my career, and the players are unbelievable. I bet a lot of it is like the chemistry Pittsburgh had last year. Am I being penalized? It depends on how you look at it. I think right now my priority is winning, beating New Orleans, getting to the Super Bowl and winning. If the opportunity is still there in a week or two? Great. If not, I understand completely."
On how much he would change the Steelers if he got the job
"To go in and expect to change everything in one year and expect to be as successful as I think they can be next year would be wrong. You've got to look at and evaluate the talent you have."

[FONT=Arial][COLOR=#000000] [SIZE=5]Making a difference
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] The Bears' defense made considerable improvement after Ron Rivera's first season as Chicago's defensive coordinator in 2004. Here is a look at how the Bears have fared statistically and where they ranked in the NFL in each of Rivera's first three seasons (regular season only).

Making a difference
The Bears' defense made considerable improvement after Ron Rivera's first season as Chicago's defensive coordinator in 2004. Here is a look at how the Bears have fared statistically and where they ranked in the NFL in each of Rivera's first three seasons (regular season only).
Year Scoring Total (yards) Rush Pass
2004 20.7 336.9 128.1 208.0
NFL Rank 13 21 25 15
2005 12.6 281.8 102.3 179.5
NFL Rank 1 2 11 5
2006 15.9 294.1 99.4 104.8
NFL Rank 3 5 6 11
*Average per game for all categories

I just don't know anymore!! I really like what he has done.

alittlejazzbird
01-19-2007, 06:50 PM
It says a lot about this team and the organization that we are in a position to have three such great candidates for the job that we can't decide who's better!!! I myself am partial to Mike Tomlin -- the guy just blew me away in his press conference, and I can only imagine how impressed the Rooneys and Kevin Colbert must have been over the course of two long interviews -- but honestly, I think any one of them will be an excellent choice for what's almost unanimously regarded as the best coaching job in the NFL.

Like another poster said, I feel like a kid at Christmas, and wish the Rooneys would hurry it up already....

Preacher
01-20-2007, 02:59 AM
It says a lot about this team and the organization that we are in a position to have three such great candidates for the job that we can't decide who's better!!! I myself am partial to Mike Tomlin -- the guy just blew me away in his press conference, and I can only imagine how impressed the Rooneys and Kevin Colbert must have been over the course of two long interviews -- but honestly, I think any one of them will be an excellent choice for what's almost unanimously regarded as the best coaching job in the NFL.

Like another poster said, I feel like a kid at Christmas, and wish the Rooneys would hurry it up already....

I agree... because the seond I find out, I am going to be studying up on the guy!! Finding out what he calls, etc. I just have such high hopes for the future. Especially with a high draft pick this year.

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Really, all three are fine with me.....

I was impressed with Tomlin when he was with Tampa Bay and I like that fact that he has past experience when it comes to coaching DB's. In my opinion, with Ike's downfall, McFadden coming into his own and Townsend on his way out, I think his experience in that department could be very valuable. He comes off as a tough but fair man. Players coach but tough. From what I have read and seen, I like the guy.

Rivera it depends. If Chicago wins this weekend I'm not exactly thrilled (nor do I feel the Steelers would be) with the idea of waiting until after the SB in order to sign a HC for a team coming off an 8-8 season.

Grimm has been with the organization for a long time. He knows the system and the players. Also, if he stays maybe there is a better chance that LeBeau will hang around (if that's what we want?).

While I personally like and prefer Tomlin, I won't take the Clemente Bridge if Grimm or Rivera get the job. Just my two cents.

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Yeah, I will tell you this much. The Confidence Tomlin oozes is infectious. Originally, I was a Rivera fan. But Tomlin is really winning me over.

Same here. Like I said, the more and more I read about this guy the more I like him.

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 09:38 AM
I tend to agree with the above several posts........the Steelers will be in good hands with either of these 3 highly qualified candidates. Other teams seem to spend money like drunken sailors for free agents and changing coaches as often as their change their underwear, trying to buy themselves a championship but the Rooney's have been very successful by sitting back, taking their time, and developing players like horse breeders breed thouroughbreds. I trust them. They know what they are doing.

Good things come to those that wait........I have a good feeling that the changes we are witnessing will be for the good, little mistakes will be made along the way but I think we, as fans, will be very pleased in the next few years with the moves. Have faith, my children. :cheers:

Steelers can afford to take their time finding a new coachBy John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 20, 2007

The tendency is to panic, to bow to public sentiment and reach a quick, judgmental conclusion.

Not the Steelers.

The team hierarchy of president Art Rooney II and chairman Dan Rooney operates by its own set of rules.

Know this: The Steelers will hire Bill Cowher's replacement when they are good and ready.

It could happen today, tomorrow or two weeks from now, after Super Bowl XLI in Miami.

The Steelers won't hurry to hire a new coach because they can afford to take their time, said a prominent agent who represents several NFL coaches.

"They're under no pressure," said Nevada-based agent Bob LaMonte, who counts Seattle's Mike Holmgren, Philadelphia's Andy Reid, Tampa Bay's Jon Gruden and Carolina's John Fox among his clientele. "Good team. Good organization. They don't have to rush to hire."

LaMonte says that too many teams change coaches too quickly and that the Steelers are definitely in the minority. The average timeline for an NFL coach is less than three years.

Cowher lasted 15 years with the Steelers, and he probably could have coached for as long as he wanted. That he didn't is more a reflection on Cowher not wanting to maintain the status-quo, rather than the Steelers seeking change.

Prior to his resignation, Cowher was the league's longest-tenured coach, and he had the third-best record among active coaches.

"Teams flip coaches like most people change underwear. Pittsburgh is the juxtaposition of what I'm describing," LaMonte said. "Their ultimate success is they don't change coaches like underwear."

There's a lot to be said for wearing the same underwear, especially when it fits just right.

As long as you wash it.

The Steelers, in general, and the Rooneys, in particular, rarely make change for change's sake. However, Cowher finally forced the team's hand when he announced his resignation Jan. 5.

The Steelers have since conducted interviews with five candidates and appear to be closing in on their next coach.

Russ Grimm is the only remaining in-house candidate and is, by all accounts, the apparent frontrunner.

But 34-year-old Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin is an impressive backup choice if Grimm doesn't get the job.

Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, the third finalist, becomes a more realistic possibility if the Steelers don't hire a coach until after Sunday's NFC Championship Game.

The Steelers, who conducted one interview with Rivera -- they've interviewed Grimm and Tomlin two times each -- can't interview Rivera again until the Bears are out of the playoffs.

"The Steelers have three outstanding candidates, and they can't make a bad choice with any of them," LaMonte said. "In the NFL today, if you have a great owner, a great management team, really good players, a really good coach and if you're really lucky, you have a chance to win."

History indicates the Steelers will hire the right coach, whenever that may be. Based on their successful track record, the Rooneys can take all the time they need.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Excellent article.

Once again, I'm all for the organization taking their time. That's why I wasn't really all that shocked or upset when they brought in Gailey and Sherman. But maybe I'm being paranoid or impatient, but I'm not crazy about waiting for Rivera if Da' Bears make it to the Super Bowl.

noto45
01-20-2007, 10:58 AM
I think tomlin all the way. if the steelers wanted Grimm dont u think they would have picked him already

vlad
01-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I would like to see Tomlin or Rivera.. Grimm looks too much like Matt Millen in Detroit.. and we all know how Detroit does ;)

Snap! :dang:

Dude, you are right!

I've pretty much joined the Tomlin bandwagon, but mostly out of ignorance about Ron Rivera. Their resumes look pretty similar, but it's a fact a lot more attention and time has been given to Tomlin by the media. It kinda seems the Rooneys are leaning that way, the papers aint allowed to let us know, so they're just doing prep articles for the forthcoming change.

That said, I think a choice hasn't been announced because we are waiting on Rivera. Which is good. I think those are the only two real candidates left. If someone from inside was going to be hired, it'd have been the Whiz. Why isn't Grimm being stolen from us like Whizenhunt by less patient franchises? Because an O-line coach doesn't represent the same sort of potential for success as experienced coordinators. And Tomlin is experienced, he just couldn't leave Tampa for a long time.

My choice: 1. Tomlin, 2. Rivera, [---distance---] 3. Jerome Bettis :toofunny: 4. Russ Grimm.

Elvis
01-20-2007, 05:22 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I had rather have Rivera.. that Bears defense is pretty intense. They lost that big DT after the 10th game of the year and they have struggled since. As for his resume... look at the last few years in Chicago with this young man at D coach, this team is very good without alot of great players. I like him and I hope he gets the job, but I am afraid that if the Bears make it to the Super Bowl then the Steelers will get impatient and just give the job to Tomlin or Grimm but I hope that they dont.:computer: :wave: