PDA

View Full Version : HBO's "Rome" Thread

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 07:17 AM
Any "Rome" fans on the board?

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t011/T011395A.jsm

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 07:57 AM
My husband just bought the set on dvd (we don't have HBO) and he is really into it.....I had a hard time following it. I usually like the epic type movies but I just just couldn't stick with it. Something about that particular period of history just doesn't hold my attention well. It seems well done, though.

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 08:07 AM
My husband just bought the set on dvd (we don't have HBO) and he is really into it.....I had a hard time following it. I usually like the epic type movies but I just just couldn't stick with it. Something about that particular period of history just doesn't hold my attention well. It seems well done, though.

I enjoy that time period, but it also took me a few episodes to really get rolling. Much like with "Deadwood", "Carnivale" and "The Sopranos", I'm now hooked. For the record, your saving money on not having HBO. Minus the mini-series and the occasional documentary, your not missing much. They are seriously lacking on the movie front.

Your husband has good taste. :wink02:

stillers4me
01-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Your husband has good taste. :wink02:

Well.......he married me........:wink02:

83-Steelers-43
01-20-2007, 08:25 AM
Well.......he married me........:wink02:

Good point. :wink02:

Hammer67
01-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Best show currently on TV, in my opinion now that Deadwood is gone.

Love the period and the series. Much better then the Hollywood Gladiator crap. At least they somewhat stick to historical context.

If you love that period, I suggest a video game, of all things. Get "Rome: Total War" Great strategy game based on the period.

Suitanim
01-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Yup...Rome is well written, well acted, and pulls no punches. Best thing on TV.

I pay 6.95 a month for HD HBO every month, and DVR at least $20 worth of movies each month from HBO. Definitely worth it...

Hammer67
01-22-2007, 09:12 PM
HBO rules...I never watch movies...just the shows!!

Suitanim
01-22-2007, 09:20 PM
I DVR the movies I want to watch, too, but the series are worth it...

steelerbackr4life
01-22-2007, 09:31 PM
:iagree: I watch and DVR all the HBO shows the wire is good also. There are alot of actors that have gotten into other shows. The guy who played cesil on OZ was on 24 2 episodes ago as an FBI agent.

Although the main reason we watch the Sopranos is to see how many of the places we recognize.

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2007, 05:21 AM
Yup...Rome is well written, well acted, and pulls no punches. Best thing on TV.

It's starting to really heat up. Octavian grew a pair and Antony is starting to sweat under the collar. I'd love nothing more than to see Antony get a hold of Cicero. Atia and Servilia are going at it like never before. Vorenus has gone crazy.

This upcoming episode should be very interesting.

Suitanim
01-30-2007, 08:32 PM
It's starting to really heat up. Octavian grew a pair and Antony is starting to sweat under the collar. I'd love nothing more than to see Antony get a hold of Cicero. Atia and Servilia are going at it like never before. Vorenus has gone crazy.

This upcoming episode should be very interesting.

Well, if you want a spoiler, there are a million books...the series takes a few liberties, but it's really close to what really happened...