PDA

View Full Version : Will you welcome back Hines?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2005, 12:03 AM
When he shows up to camp or to the team in the season. Whichever comes first whether he signs an extension this year or not. Will you be one to cheer his return, or have you been tarnished to the point of no return?

bigbensgirl7
08-11-2005, 12:52 AM
I can't say I'm completely tarnished. I think a lot of it would depend on how long this thing gets drawn out. I would still chear for him because he's in the black and gold however, I don't think I will ever really be able to look at him as that ultimate team player I have in the past. I think to me I will see him as more a Plax than a Bus IMO!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Thats a good point girl.. if he does come back can any of us think of him exactly the same as we did before?

Prosdo
08-11-2005, 01:32 AM
If he holds out the whole year I couldn't. But if he came back during training camp I could. Hines is one of my all time favorite players so its hard for me to forget about the years he has spent here already and what he has shown us in the past.

Steel Fury
08-11-2005, 07:25 AM
I'll welcome him back. He has been a constant professional. He could have held out last year but chose to be the team player with the promise that he would be a priority for this season. I don't think that really happened. And he is still handling this better than TO.

steelersgirl86
08-11-2005, 07:34 AM
I would welcome him back and cheer him on just as I will every black and gold player. I aggree with bigbensgirl7 I dont think I will look at him the same as I used to but then again you never know get him in there doing what he does best and I think he will make us all happy. Just hopee it happens soon.... :hope: :sign08:

Hamer
08-11-2005, 09:30 AM
You always hear, football is a business. Hines holdout is a business decision, but THIS nfl team is different, it really is. The Steelers are about passion. That's what feels wrong about this. I will welcome back Hines, he is absolutely our best wideout and we need him. But you guys are right- it's like he's not the same guy who cried for Bettis after the game last year. I hope Hines quits listening to his agent and starts listening to his heart again- because you know he has the passion for the game, the team, and the city.

Friday133
08-11-2005, 10:10 AM
of course you've got to wlecome hines back. after that first touchdown pass he catches, and that first nasty block he throws his holdout will be a distant memory. hell the way its going for the steelers maybe its good he's not in camp, he might have gotten hurt if he had reported!

melroseplace
08-11-2005, 11:26 AM
I'll welcome him back. and I'm sure after he takes a couple of hits and stands up grinning most everyone else will too

pitt
08-11-2005, 11:30 AM
If he comes back during camp, I'll welcome him back.

bigbensgirl7
08-11-2005, 11:34 AM
If he comes back during camp, I'll welcome him back.
I agree, I think I'm going to have a hard time welcoming back if he misses one game! But I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that I don't have to deal with that!

pitt
08-11-2005, 11:37 AM
I understand its all about business but a deals a deal. He signed a contract to play for THIS season and he should be out there practicing/playing THIS season.

Blitzburgh55
08-11-2005, 11:50 AM
I will he should get a long term deal so he stays its not like T.O. were T.O. has 6 years left on his deal

RoethlisBURGHer
08-11-2005, 02:36 PM
I will definatly welcome him back.However,if he misses any of the regular season (which I doubt he will) I can't look at him as the ultimate team player because he hurt us when it counted,the season.If he misses all of camp,lets hope he was working at home to stay in shape.

clevestinks
08-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Early on I won`t be happy.

But once I see him laying players out on blocks, Catching crucial third down passes, and that Hines Ward smile. Then I`ll welc0ome him back.

bengalsfan21
08-11-2005, 03:00 PM
A hold out happens every year and every year fans get on with their lives and root for the player.....I think the only hold out this season that will not be welcomed back is T.O......Face it with out Hines you won't have a great wide out on the team.....You will all welcome him back with no hard feelings and buy/wear his jersey everywhere.

SteelR1
08-11-2005, 05:03 PM
I will welcome him back. Lets just hope its sooner than later......

ironcitychef
08-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Here's the deal with Hines...he isn't here now so he viewed in a slight negative light. Regardless of how the contract turns out(us giving or him giving), as long as he comes back to us, and as soon as he goes across the middle and lays a block on a LB, stands over him and starts yaking, then all will be right in Pittsburgh. If he comes back and for some reason gets tight and doesn't enjoy the game or smile, then we will view him as different because he put too high a price on doing what he loved and was good at.

24seven
08-12-2005, 12:18 AM
well put.. When and If he does come back my arms are WIDE open.. I can't wait to check the news one night and see we've got him in camp and all is well again.. Not a Steelers fan anywhere can say they wouldn't like to see him back. You can't deny what he's done for us and in comparison to other contracts out there (i.e. Moss,Owens etc) he's WELL underpayed for the commitment,solidarity and all around kickass player he has grown to be. In my opinion there is not one receiver out there that gives the 200 percent like Hines does and never once have I heard him whine about "throw me the ball".. The controversy Owens and Moss have brought to there teams is chaos in the form of a hurricane compared to the sprinkle Hines has produced. And yet franchises have forked out Millions for these arrogant egos that do nothing but cause havoc for there teamates.. I truly believe he'll come to his sences and this will be resolved before the 1st game. You can always look at this 2 ways and the 2 ways are obvious but I still can't believe they won't kick down just a little more for the guy that's brought the biggest smile in football.... It's not like EVERY year someone is holding out for more money.. Not many people have the talent like Hines to even attempt it let alone achieve the goal. If the Steelers are worried about future outbreaks I think it's safe to say there in the clear.. No one else (except maybe Ben.. if he can stay consistent) could even come close to turn heads in a hold out.. But with both sides being stubborn in there stance, it's scary to think it could all end in a loss for everyone.... In the end though i just wish for it to be all over and want Hines sportin that #86 for life!!! I don't feel he's a money mongor even through all this as he's just fighting for what he truly deserves.. And you can't compare it to some guy in Iraq making 20,000 a year getting shot at.. In reality it holds no water.. Because as cruel as it sounds (and i don't want to sound cruel but there's no nice way to say it) no ones paying $100 a ticket to go see him fight in Iraq.. I love our troops,support them and hope to God for there safety so don't take this the wrong way. But there's a big difference as to why they get paid the way they do.. At least compare it to the guy at Mcdonalds if your gonna compare wages.. But everyone makes there own decisions in life and Hines chose to rock the house..So the other way to look at this is Hines makes 1.65 million a year or so.. and Moss will make $75 million in 8 years which is about 9.375 million a year give or take a dollar or 2.. Now.. tell me that Moss deserves almost 8 million a year more than Hines... (not saying Hines deserves that or anyone for that matter let alone Moss.....)but I can see where he's coming from and i'm sure most do.. I think what most people are upset about is that it's Hines Ward asking.. The humble team player that can do no wrong.. Well were all human and sometimes an itch needs to be scratched.. And after seeing some of these boneheads scorin big contracts ... the itch becomes unbearable.... I almost feel sorry for Hines in a way if you take away amounts.. It's almost a slap in the face to do all you could ever do for a team and not get a consideration and then look down the road to Phili and see some jackass causing havoc all over the place and getting paid millions for it... Anwyays.. sorry for rambling but I just want my Hinezy back!! now i must pray............:P

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2005, 12:30 AM
Nicely put 24 !!!

I think there are a few other members of the team where the ramifications of a holdout would be pretty highly felt. Porter, Farrior, I'd even venture to say Polamalu in a couple more years.

Steel Fury
08-12-2005, 07:28 AM
what scares me is this: I heard Mort say on NFL Live last night that Hines is willing to sit out until week 6 when he has to report to be elegible for free agency. I can't picture this happening. I don't know how I would feel if it came to this. I keep expecting to wake up and hear something happened over night and there he is in camp smiling it up.

bigbensgirl7
08-12-2005, 10:15 AM
what scares me is this: I heard Mort say on NFL Live last night that Hines is willing to sit out until week 6 when he has to report to be elegible for free agency. I can't picture this happening. I don't know how I would feel if it came to this. I keep expecting to wake up and hear something happened over night and there he is in camp smiling it up.
See if he does that....I won't welcome him back. I will still chear for him like I have every other Steeler (even the ones I don't really care for)! If it goes into the regular season, knowing how much we need him or a replacement for him, I will be pissed. Not only is he hurting the organization, but also the fans and his teamates. If we were to lose most of those games because we don't have a go to man, who would honestly be happy with him.
Now on the other hand, if he decides to report to camp...I will welcome him back...but like I said earlier, I will never look at him the same again! That's not saying he won't still be one of my favorites on the field if he produces, but not off the field!
I think we all know how much we need him to suceed this year. If he decides to not come back...we need to find a replacement now!

clevestinks
08-12-2005, 04:25 PM
I agree BBG7 I will not be a big Hines fan if it comes to a week six showing. If that is what happens, then he needs to be traded before that. Because he wouldn``t be planning on sticking around.

McNabbulous5
08-12-2005, 06:28 PM
I must say that Hines Ward has a boat load more class than what T.O does. T.O is one of the biggest babies that I have seen. I mean I have to support T.O as long as he is on the Eagles squad but you don't hear on the news everyday about Hines Ward on different sports shows pouting about his contract situation and you dont hear about Hines on the news bringin out his weights and tryin to get attention. I have a lot of respect for Hines Ward. Just wish our receiver was the same... If I was in your shoes as fans I would welcome Hines back with open arms

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2005, 09:25 PM
I realize you have to look out for yourself, and you only have a certain amount of time to roll in the big cash..but Damn, how much bigger do you want. How many games will it take for you to get your point across! How much time will you lose working out w/ Ben and the offense just to get a few more millions. Hines, I love ya man, you're one of my favorite Steelers of all time, I followed your career at Georgia, I've got your autograph on a helmet, You're the best all around WR in the league as far as im concerned. You're the ultimate team guy. You are adored by fans all over the world and an inspiration to sports and non sports fans alike. But how much will it take !!! :(

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2005, 01:24 AM

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05225/553553.stm

Despite their stance of not negotiating with players who are not in training camp, the Steelers continue to have discussions with the agents for holdout receiver Hines Ward and have talked directly to the four-time Pro Bowl performer.

Nonetheless, the Steelers are no closer to resolving their differences with Ward, who is seeking a contract extension, and are now being led to believe he eventually will report later in the season merely to play out the final year of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.

Ward would have to report to the Steelers by the 10th week of the regular season and be on the 53-man roster for the final six games to be credited with fulfilling the final year of his contract.

Once he does that, he can become an unrestricted free agent and is free to sign with another team.

Ward's agent, Eugene Parker, could not be reached for comment.

A report on ESPN Thursday night said Ward is resigned to sitting out the first six games of the season before reporting. When asked yesterday about the report, coach Bill Cowher said, "I don't want to comment on that."

SteelerFanInATL
08-13-2005, 07:26 AM
If he comes back with the extension I would not have a probllem with him being back. If he comes back for the last six games so that he could become an unrestricted free agent next year then I would not like that. Maybe I need to find him down here in ATL and give him a good STEELER Fan pep talk. (lol) This whole thing could have been avoided if the Steelers would have taken care of him in the offseason and not a week or two before camp opened. We could have went through this period then without needing to be in camp. I would really hate to see Ward leave. Just pay the guy, he deserves the money.

jifrmk
08-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Hines Ward is the Man, we all know that... without hom the steelers will have a hard time converting 3rd downs and making the big plays....RB be prepared to run if Hines dosen't come back... I he does I welcome him with open arms.... If not sit out the whole season...

ironcitychef
08-13-2005, 09:53 PM
the biggest thing is to watch if we start to fine him, or ask for signing bonus money back, till then its each side for themselves doing what is long term best for each. If Ward wants 10-12 mil bonuses he will have to go elsewhere, but he can't do it until next year. We want him to stay, but not at the expense of getting our entire team competitive every year. Our bet is if we keep focusing on our run game, can we find a wr that can haul in 90% of what Ward did.