PDA

View Full Version : This is why I hate ESPN

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Ignorant ESPN writers. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2737739)

For a city that does not reconcile change very well at all, where neighborhoods and people seem frozen in time, Pittsburgh might be about to undergo a dramatic metamorphosis.

I expect this garbage from Sienna Miller. But this is a journalist with a major network.

Hines0wnz
01-21-2007, 11:11 AM
That was an interesting opening line but overall the article was good.

83-Steelers-43
01-21-2007, 11:32 AM
"For a city that does not reconcile change very well at all"

I can't really disagree with that line all that much.

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 11:36 AM
I've lived in half a dozen different places and let me tell you that Pittsburgh handles changes as well as any of them.

It was a cheap shot plain and simple. Hack journalism from a hack network.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2007, 12:05 PM
No football writer is a bigger booster of Pittsburgh than Lennie P. - he grew up there and still has family in western PA.

Prior to ESPN, Pasquarelli served as a senior writer for CBS SportsLine.com, which he joined in 1999. He has also covered the NFL for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution from 1989 to 1999, the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel from 1985 to 1989, Pro Football Weekly from 1982 to 1985, and Pittsburgh Steelers Weekly from 1978 to 1982.

Pasquarelli is a Pittsburgh native and graduated from the University of Pittsburgh in 1972.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Len_Pasquarelli

Hardly someone i would categorize as a Pittsburgh basher

As far as the comment, I did not move away from Pittsburgh until the early 80s and also still have family in the area, but I agree with Lennie and see nothing insulting about the comment. Pittsburgh is what it is, for better or worse

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 01:10 PM
No football writer is a bigger booster of Pittsburgh than Lennie P.

Based on what? Nobody at ESPN is friendly to Pittsburgh. It runs against their NYC based mindset.

4n2t0
01-21-2007, 01:21 PM
"For a city that does not reconcile change very well at all"

I can't really disagree with that line all that much.

I can't disagree with it at all!

It was definitely a shot at the people of Pittsburgh but one that couldn't be more true IMHO.

meanjoecoop
01-21-2007, 01:21 PM
For a city that does not reconcile change very well at all, where neighborhoods and people seem frozen in time, Pittsburgh might be about to undergo a dramatic metamorphosis.

As an outlander who has visited several times over the years I think that comment is unwarranted and could more accurately apply to many other cities.

Can you say “journalistic sensationalism”….

"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always twenty years behind the times." - Mark Twain

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 01:24 PM
As an outlander who has visited several times over the years I think that comment is unwarranted and could more accurately apply to many other cities.

Can you say ?journalistic sensationalism??.

Thank you. Sometimes people in Pittsburgh don't realize how modern their city really is. It's not New York or LA, but that's a good thing.

4n2t0
01-21-2007, 01:25 PM

Can you say “journalistic sensationalism”….

"When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always twenty years behind the times." - Mark Twain

Look at your avatar and banner, stuck in the 70's?

Just kidding, I couldn't resist...lol. :hug:

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 01:27 PM

Just kidding I couldn't resist...lol. :hug:

There's a difference between honoring the past and being stuck in the past. Pittsburgh honros the past and sometimes goes a bit overboard with the nostalgia. But having spent time in SoCal, I would rather live through 30 Pittsburgh winters then have to put up with most Southern Californians for one summer.

meanjoecoop
01-21-2007, 01:27 PM

Just kidding I couldn't resist...lol. :hug:

:flap: maybe a little... :chuckle:

X-Terminator
01-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Sorry guys, but it's the truth. Change and Pittsburghers are like oil and water. All anyone who lives here has to do is look at all of the whining that is and has been done whenever there's been talk of redeveloping the Fifth and Forbes Ave. corridors. Or when the plans were drawn up for the new Three PNC office tower that is now under construction - even though PNC owned the land. Or the proposed North Shore connector for our subway line that would connect PNC Park and Heinz Field with downtown without having to walk across the bridge. One excuse after another, and it's that way for damn near anything new that gets planned here. That's why Pittsburgh, while it is moving forward, is moving at a much slower pace than it should be.

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 01:33 PM
I live in a town that voted down a lightrail system even though it's almsot all urban sprawl.

stillers4me
01-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Sorry guys, but it's the truth. Change and Pittsburghers are like oil and water. All anyone who lives here has to do is look at all of the whining that is and has been done whenever there's been talk of redeveloping the Fifth and Forbes Ave. corridors. Or when the plans were drawn up for the new Three PNC office tower that is now under construction - even though PNC owned the land. Or the proposed North Shore connector for our subway line that would connect PNC Park and Heinz Field with downtown without having to walk across the bridge. One excuse after another, and it's that way for damn near anything new that gets planned here. That's why Pittsburgh, while it is moving forward, is moving at a much slower pace than it should be.

I live in a town that voted down a lightrail system even though it's almsot all urban sprawl.

Believe, Cincinnati is no different.

As far as Pittsburgh and it's people are concerned......this guy is taking about a city that had to remold itself from an industrial based city because it's entire economic lifeblood disappeared in the matter of a few short years. And this guy has the nerve to say that it's people do not react well to change????????? DUH!!!!! This guy doesn't have a clue about the people in that town.

MACH1
01-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Change is tough no matter where your at or which city. People get comfortable with what they know and when change happens it shakes things up a little to much for most people.

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 02:02 PM
This thread really can't go anywhere. Even the most progressive cities see some resistance to change. People praise KC and it's progressive philosophies, but what's the last time you met someone who really wanted to go live in KC.

I guess it's all about home and where we feel comfortable. For me, that's always going to be Western Pennsylvania.

steelerbackr4life
01-21-2007, 02:02 PM
I think that the article is true. But that is why I love the Burgh ! There is a warmth and good feeling there that brings you back to days gone by when politenes and morality was something that was more common place.

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 02:05 PM
There is a warmth and good feeling there that brings you back to days gone by when politenes and morality was something that was more common place.

Be careful now. That's close to the working definition of Southern Hospitality and we all know that all Southerners are backwards rednecks. :wink02:

Or at least that's what the "progressives" in places like KC and NYC want us to think.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2007, 02:16 PM
This thread really can't go anywhere. Even the most progressive cities see some resistance to change. People praise KC and it's progressive philosophies, but what's the last time you met someone who really wanted to go live in KC.

I guess it's all about home and where we feel comfortable. For me, that's always going to be Western Pennsylvania.

Well said - I moved away for economic reasons and have lived in Atlanta for 25 years, but my hometown will always be Pittsburgh.

Stlrs4Life
01-21-2007, 02:23 PM
I believe everybody is taking it and reading it the wrong way. He is just saying that there is going to be change. But if it is true tha Tomlin is going to come in and change everything, he can stay in Minnesota.

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't care what he changes as long as he wins!

HometownGal
01-21-2007, 02:29 PM
I've lived in the Burgh most of my life (other than 2 years in Wichita in the late 70's) and though I've contemplated moving somewhere else where they have more winter and snow, I just can't bring myself to do it, as there just is no place like Pittsburgh.

meanjoecoop
01-21-2007, 02:54 PM
I've lived in the Burgh most of my life (other than 2 years in Wichita in the late 70's)...

:chuckle: "Toto, I?ve got a feeling we?re not in Kansas anymore" :flap:

Elvis
01-21-2007, 03:19 PM
whether Tomlin runs a 3-4 or a 4-3 I just hope that things get back to normal in Pittsburgh. A devistating running attack and a monsterous front 7 seven that is 2nd to none.:tt02: :wave:

steelersautomaton
01-23-2007, 03:54 AM
I've never been to Pitts.., but i've met quite a few people from there and they were all lovely. ESPN does have a bias against Pitts. I remember when that idiot "Jaws" the following day after the Super Bowl, said that the Steelers weren't the best team that year. To hell with them.