PDA

View Full Version : What do the Steelers have to do next year?

Elvis
01-21-2007, 04:52 PM
:tt02: We are all Steelers fans pretty much here aint we? Well just what do you think that our new coach must do to get this very talented team back to the Super Bowl next year?
We have alot of talent here in my opinion and there is Not got to be Alot of turnover here in Steeletown. I'm still not sure what is going on with our coaching situation but I hope that whoever it is there is not alot of personel changes myself. I think that our secondary needs major help at DB and depth at DL and LB's. On offense, Our O Line needs added depth as well as WR's and a big blocking TE would be nice. These are just my opinions so everyone feel welcome to come on in and give me yours.:tt02: :wave:

fansince'76
01-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Simple - HANG ON TO THE DAMN BALL. We gave away at least 4 games this year (Cincy, Atlanta, Oakland, Denver) with turnovers.

Stlrs4Life
01-21-2007, 06:11 PM
We need Ben to comeback, we need to strengthen the OL some. We need some help at LBer, and cut down on the turn overs.

aburdell
01-21-2007, 07:31 PM
No more turnovers, young players need to make some plays, Oline needs to give ben some time to pass, running backs didnt pick up the blitz well, and we need some youth in the draft on defense. thats what i think we need to do pretty similar to everybody else. just some minor adjustments on both sides of the ball.

vlad
01-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Offensively, we need a competent LT and RG. Defensively, I'd draft linebackers and DL four rounds straight. Then, as the above folks said, once Ben isn't ailing and Willie holds on to the rock, it's back to good old domination!

Hines0wnz
01-21-2007, 08:21 PM
First, win the division.

Second, win all their playoff games.

Third, smack down the NFC fodder.

ajs8207
01-21-2007, 09:42 PM
First, win the division.

Sounds good.

polamalufan43
01-21-2007, 09:49 PM
First, win the division.

We need Ben to comeback, we need to strengthen the OL some. We need some help at LBer, and cut down on the turn overs.

All good suggestions. I think Ben needs the off-season to just relax. We definately need to work on pretty much all areas, there is always room for improvement, and in our case alot of it. Of course, there was obviously some big distraction last season that caused us to play poorly, so let's hope that distraction is gone for good, or at least untill we win another superbowl and beat the Ratbirds about five times(or more, more is good).

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

stillers4me
01-21-2007, 09:51 PM
Reduce our turnovers and force more from the other team!!!!

SteelCzar76
01-21-2007, 10:05 PM
1) Impact play and better coverage in the secondary.

2) Avoid the mental lapses (ie turnovers)

3) More consistency from the O-line

4) More strength and upfield push from Keisel's End on the line

5) A 'Power Back' to compliment Willie's considerable talent.

6) Ben to evolve as a QB

7) Draft well

Many are down on the 'backers',.....but i still think our starters can aquit themselves well against the best offenses of the league.

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

Elvis
01-22-2007, 06:54 AM
:tt02: Yeh... everyone I agree with just about everyone on this subject. But I think that it all depends on who is gonna be our coach which no one is sure about yet except maybe the Rooney's and Tomlin and Grimm. It is gonna be interesting to see exactly what happens isnt it?:wave:

StylCurtainXL
01-22-2007, 11:32 AM
1. Remove the appendix from all players now.

2. Confiscate all motorcycle keys.

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Let's make it a more simple...

WIN!

Big D
01-22-2007, 12:12 PM
I personally dont think we are to far off. I think if we can gets bens confidence back up and address the secondary we will be great next year.

TackleMeBen
01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
1. Remove the appendix from all players now.

2. Confiscate all motorcycle keys.

Thanks... now i have to go get a new computer screen, b/c i just spit out my water all over it... lol :sofunny:

SteelerFanInCA
01-22-2007, 01:13 PM
We were pretty much in every game this year other than the Baltimore games. Holding on to the ball would probably be the first thing that comes to mind.

Also, starting off the season with a fresh Ben will not hurt either.

steelerfan5
01-22-2007, 02:56 PM
We need better corners, a new punter and kicker, and a healthy Ben. Less turnovers would be a HUGE improvement!

Haiku_Dirtt
01-22-2007, 04:20 PM
We were pretty much in every game this year other than the Baltimore games. Holding on to the ball would probably be the first thing that comes to mind.

Also, starting off the season with a fresh Ben will not hurt either.

Jacksonville's defensive line smoked us like Alaskan salmon. And they're investing even more into that defense.

If we can run against Baltimore and the Jaguars next season then essentially we can run against anyone.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-22-2007, 04:35 PM
i would encourage the coaching staff / front office to watch both the baltimore games a few times...the ravens exposed the steelers' weaknesses and a lot can be learned about what this team needs from those two games alone.

SteelerFanInTX210
01-22-2007, 11:31 PM
I want to see Ike get himself together and be the shutdown corner i think he can be, i mean hes shut down charles johnson for years now i dont see why he cant shut everyone down. Also better offensive line play is ideal.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 11:34 PM
I want to see Ike get himself together and be the shutdown corner i think he can be, i mean hes shut down charles johnson for years now i dont see why he cant shut everyone down. Also better offensive line play is ideal.

"Mucho Stinko" isn't all that, IMHO.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
01-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Pressure the quaterback more

Get the offense rolling

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
01-23-2007, 11:08 AM
More aggressive play from the defensive front and more consistent play from the offensive line.

Of course team chemistry is important and it will be critical for Tomlin to bring that together (like Payton has done in New Orleans) and for the time being, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt in that regard. :tt02:

FOOTEupyourarse
01-23-2007, 12:09 PM

I think you mean chad johnson. Christ, i can shut down charles johnson and i'm a 5'7 middle aged white guy.

SteelerFanInTX210
01-23-2007, 07:31 PM
oh yeah chad johnson, my bad..........hahahaha

SteelerFanInTX210
01-23-2007, 07:32 PM
do you think ike is that bad really???

shevdog
01-23-2007, 08:42 PM
What is needed:

1. Solid special teams.
2. Minimal QB turn-overs
3. A return to more of aa "pound the ball" running game.
4. a solid o-line.
5. Rise of the "Steel Curtain?!" (I think we can do it!)

The team has the talent, the ability, and the experience. They just need the leadership and the hunger. Looks like that could come to past.

Watch out NFL, the Steelers are returning from their slumber!

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Nope, not based on one season. He was simply another underachiever on a team that essentially took the year off.

iloveben7
01-23-2007, 10:39 PM
I think the O-Line needs the most work with protecting Ben and giving him time to throw!! When Ben has all day to throw~he is AMAZING!!

Also the best thing that Mike Tomlin can do is to impress the Steeler Nation with his philosophies of football and I think he is off to a great start!!

FOOTEupyourarse
01-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I think the O-Line is our biggest problem. we can run the ball with Willie P(verron coming back will help), the DEF is solid with some minor tweaking( mark my words, IKE will return to SHUTDOWN status), we just need to give Ben more time.

polamalufan43
01-24-2007, 04:13 PM

That's just the thing, he really isn't. But with last seasons play and turn of events, he is considered a poor player. Which, this isn't other peoples faults for thinking because let's face it, Ike just wasn't there. I think he just needs the offseason to reflect and see where he wants to go. I mean, we all no he has the talent and potential. The question is weather or not he will be smart enough to use it.

~Polamlaufan43:tt02:

ChronoCross
01-24-2007, 04:22 PM
When your team is not playing with heart, motivation, hunger, of course its not going to be a good year. We should have that hunger back in the eyes again this coming season.

Everyone saying something is wrong with are secondary, does not even look at the facts that you can only cover for so long when your not getting pressure on the QB every game constantly.

Let the guys get the hunger back and you will see a much better team.

So much went wrong this last season you cannot point the finger at one part of the team but point it at the whole team in general. So hammering down on even one person of the team when the whole team is at fault. Even the beloved Ward had his own issues on the field making errors which he normally does not.

People grip about Parker only getting so many yards during certain games, but I guess you did not look at the poor blocking them games.

People grip about Ben's INT's and play, but did you take into consideration about the pressure, the amount of sacks, the time he was on his back. Him not being really healthy for the first half of the season. We only seen glimpses of Ben looking like him past self at times. He will be healthy for this upcoming season. Ben will be fine.

Were not the only team to have a crappy season after a SB and not the worst one ether. So there is no reason to cry wolf and for a bunch of changes when we have the talent already on the team to get us to another SB. Of course there is always room for improvement during the off season and draft. Let the coaches get this guys fired up, motivated, and a deadly hunger in there eyes and we will be back in the big show.