PDA

View Full Version : Official Welcome to Pittsburgh Coach Tomlin thread.

Pages : 1 [2]

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2007, 06:14 AM
Very rarely. When Tiger jumped on the scene I looked at him as one hell of a golfer and one of the top two athletes in the world who actually dominate their respected sport (Federer being the other). I personally never saw the big deal when it came to his skin color. The big deal to me was what he was doing on the green. Oh, and his HOT wife. :wink02:

While the Dungy/Smith talk is becoming a little overbearing (IMO) it's completely understandable that it's getting the amount of air-time it's receiving. I respect both Dungy and Smith and I am happy to see them both in the Super Bowl. Not so much because they happen to be black (even though it's great to see), but because they both seem like really good guys who deserve and who have earned the positions that they are both currently in.

Preacher
01-30-2007, 10:04 AM
What is amazing... was that at one period in our life, possibly the best person to every play his sport was true of three different sports. Hockey and Gretzky, Basketball and Jordon, Golf and Tiger Woods. Some may even include football and Jerry Rice.

Quite amazing if you ask me.

SteelersWoman
01-31-2007, 04:05 AM
you're right. Nick Saban didnt look like the type of guy that could mae a 350lb lineman cry neither

Mike described himself as an "impatient" type of person, but most who know him says that he stays calm. I always liked how intense Bill was, and it will be hard to get used to a coach who has the expression of a Lovie Smith or Tony Dungy on the sideline...oh wait--maybe I COULD get used to that considering where they're gonna be on Sunday! lol

Anyway, welcome Mike (and family)--do yourself and us proud! :thumbsup: :helmet:

stillers4me
01-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Mike described himself as an "impatient" type of person, but most who know him says that he stays calm. I always liked how intense Bill was, and it will be hard to get used to a coach who has the expression of a Lovie Smith or Tony Dungy on the sideline...oh wait--maybe I COULD get used to that considering where they're gonna be on Sunday! lol

Anyway, welcome Mike (and family)--do yourself and us proud! :thumbsup: :helmet:

I saw some footage of Tomlin (I think I posted a link to it on this post awhile back) and he looked liked he could give us some Cowher-esque moments. I believe the refs can retire their spit rags but I don't think Tomlin will be as stone faced as Dungy.

stlrtruck
01-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Let's face it, most fans and common folk don't care about the skin color of a person. It's the media and the PC Groups that make it a big deal.

Truly what matters most to a Steelers fan, the skin color of the coach or winning more SBs?

83-Steelers-43
01-31-2007, 09:42 AM
Let's face it, most fans and common folk don't care about the skin color of a person. It's the media and the PC Groups that make it a big deal.

Truly what matters most to a Steelers fan, the skin color of the coach or winning more SBs?

While it was a different situation, I thought Hines Ward summed it up pretty well when he responded to Plaxico's idiotic "Pittsburgh is racist" tirade........

"As far as the city and him with cornrows and stuff, they love everybody. You go out there and perform, regardless of race, color, ethnic, how you wear your hair, they don't care. The fans here know football. They know the guys who produce and give it all they got and they appreciate it. To sit there and say the city had it out against him, I don't really go along with that. I saw a lot of No. 80 jerseys in the stands."

memphissteelergirl
01-31-2007, 10:23 AM
Very rarely. When Tiger jumped on the scene I looked at him as one hell of a golfer and one of the top two athletes in the world who actually dominate their respected sport (Federer being the other). I personally never saw the big deal when it came to his skin color. The big deal to me was what he was doing on the green. Oh, and his HOT wife. :wink02:

While the Dungy/Smith talk is becoming a little overbearing (IMO) it's completely understandable that it's getting the amount of air-time it's receiving. I respect both Dungy and Smith and I am happy to see them both in the Super Bowl. Not so much because they happen to be black (even though it's great to see), but because they both seem like really good guys who deserve and who have earned the positions that they are both currently in.

:iagree: ...except the part about Tiger's wife...she ain't all that :flap:

HometownGal
01-31-2007, 11:23 AM
:iagree: ...except the part about Tiger's wife...she ain't all that :flap:

I'm a woman and I think Elin Nordegren is absolutely beautiful! :thumbsup:

http://www.ferket.com/jvlt/images/009.jpg

Preacher
01-31-2007, 11:36 AM

[

Well...

The bible says in Romans chapter 1 that we know God exists by the beauty of his creation....

... Yeah, God exists (though just looking at my wife tells me that!!)

memphissteelergirl
01-31-2007, 02:26 PM

http://www.ferket.com/jvlt/images/009.jpg

Oh sure...if you like the "tall blonde with the hot body" type!
I was being sarcastic, HTG...you're right. She is very pretty...just the "green-eyed monster" surfacing there...LOL

fansince'76
01-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Very rarely. When Tiger jumped on the scene I looked at him as one hell of a golfer and one of the top two athletes in the world who actually dominate their respected sport (Federer being the other).

If you consider golf a sport, I guess. I don't consider a game that 80-year-old geriatrics can play a sport, sorry.

HometownGal
01-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Oh sure...if you like the "tall blonde with the hot body" type!
I was being sarcastic, HTG...you're right. She is very pretty...just the "green-eyed monster" surfacing there...LOL

I know - LOL! :wink02: You're a sweetheart of a gal and I believe God gave everyone the same amount of beauty to use as they see fit. I tend to be the type of person that sees beauty in most everyone.

fansince - that was funny! :toofunny: I tend to lump golfers in with bowlers. :wink02:

memphissteelergirl
01-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey..hey, watch it ! I play golf (well learning to play anyway). :nana:

fansince'76
01-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Hey..hey, watch it ! I play golf (well learning to play anyway). :nana:

I wasn't trying to demean golf - I happen to love shooting pool, but I don't consider that a sport either. I put both golf and pool on the same level as far as games go - I don't consider the participants "athletes," however.

stlrtruck
01-31-2007, 03:13 PM
How can it be a sport if no one is going to hit you back?

And HTG, I think you're right, God gave everyone beauty. The difference is some people over look other's beauty only to harp on what they think is ugly! What a different place this world would be if we focused on the positive!!!

HometownGal
01-31-2007, 03:58 PM
How can it be a sport if no one is going to hit you back?

And HTG, I think you're right, God gave everyone beauty. The difference is some people over look other's beauty only to harp on what they think is ugly! What a different place this world would be if we focused on the positive!!!

Well that has to leave bowling out of being a sport for sure. Thus far, I've never seen a ball rack, a chair or the overhead scoreboard hit anyone back. :sofunny:

Absolutely right, stlrtruck! :cheers: There are positives and negatives in everyone - we are, after all, human. With a little self-motivation and patience, negatives can usually be turned around into positives. :thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2007, 04:24 PM
If you consider golf a sport, I guess. I don't consider a game that 80-year-old geriatrics can play a sport, sorry.

Well you and I can "play" basketball and "play" football and "play" tennis (I read recently a 90 year old Hollywood mogul still plays tennis regularly) but that certainly does not mean those are not sports.

I admit some of the PGA golfers like Mickleson are fat tubs of goo but so are offensive linemen.

It is a sport that places a premium on limited number of neuro-muscular skills but, take my word for it, it is not easy to play with any degree of proficiency.

fansince'76
01-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Well you and I can "play" basketball and "play" football and "play" tennis (I read recently a 90 year old Hollywood mogul still plays tennis regularly) but that certainly does not mean those are not sports.

I admit some of the PGA golfers like Mickleson are fat tubs of goo but so are offensive linemen.

It is a sport that places a premium on limited number of neuro-muscular skills but, take my word for it, it is not easy to play with any degree of proficiency.

Well, if the verb "play" is the only criteria, I guess playing poker is a sport then too - especially since ESPN broadcasts the World Series of Poker. But then, so would "playing" Monopoly. To avoid an argument, suffice it to say I'm not willing to place Tiger Woods in the same class of "athlete" as LaDainian Tomlinson.

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Well, if the verb "play" is the only criteria, I guess playing poker is a sport then too - especially since ESPN broadcasts the World Series of Poker. But then, so would "playing" Monopoly. To avoid an argument, suffice it to say I'm not willing to place Tiger Woods in the same class of "athlete" as LaDainian Tomlinson.

Neither does the marketplace; Tiger's endorsement deals are probably worth more than those of the top 20 NFL players combined and they are for products a lot more upscale than Chunky Soup and GNC Vitamins.

fansince'76
01-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Neither does the marketplace; Tiger's endorsement deals are probably worth more than those of the top 20 NFL players combined and they are for products a lot more upscale than Chunky Soup and GNC Vitamins.

Which is alot like saying that Will Ferrell is a better actor than Denzel Washington just because he made more last year. So, due to his endorsement deals, Tiger is a better athlete than LT? I also think the "more upscale products" Tiger endorses is due to the fact that he is a hell of alot more identifiable to the moneyed crowd that buys those "more upscale products" and hangs around six-figure-dues country clubs playing golf, for the most part.

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Which is alot like saying that Will Ferrell is a better actor than Denzel Washington just because he made more last year. So, due to his endorsement deals, Tiger is a better athlete than LT? I also think the "more upscale products" Tiger endorses is due to the fact that he is a hell of alot more identifiable to the moneyed crowd that buys those "more upscale products" and hangs around six-figure-dues country clubs playing golf, for the most part.

As you have said, we will repectfully disagree on this.

It is called professional sports for a reason - you play for pay (Tiger makes a fair amount of change in a sport where if he has a bad week he does not get paid at all) and a big part of top shelf athletes pay (e.g. - Peyton Manning) is in endorsemnent deals. Tiger's biggest endorsement deal is with Nike - last time I checked they hold themselves out to be a sporting goods company and their endorsement deals are with individuals they appear to regard as athletes. By Nike's definition, Tiger appears to be regarded as a professional athlete. IMHO their opinion merits some credence.

To the extent golf does not meet your definition of a sport, that is your opinion. It was the crack about golf not being a sport because it is an activity that can stiill be perfomed after someone reaches their early 30s that I thought called for a response.

X-Terminator
02-02-2007, 04:28 AM
Here's Ed Bouchette once again trying to stir up controversy with Tomlin's hiring, just because Upshaw congratulated the Rooneys for hiring him. Will it EVER end? :rolleyes:

Union chief hails hiring of Tomlin
Credits Dan Rooney for 'walking the walk'

Friday, February 02, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- Dan and Art Rooney spent time last week denying there was pressure put on them from the league or the NFL Players Association to hire a minority coach for the Steelers.

Yesterday, NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw made it clear that he was delighted the Steelers hired their first black coach in Mike Tomlin.

Upshaw began by noting the historic precedence of having two minority head coaches in the Super Bowl, then turned his attention to Dan Rooney, the team's chairman who arrived in Miami yesterday but did not attend the afternoon NFLPA news conference.

"I want to say to Dan Rooney, he not only walked the walk, he talked the talk," Upshaw said. "It was very important he took that step."

The reference by Upshaw was to the NFL's "Rooney Rule," which requires each team to interview at least one minority coach in their search for a head coach. It was named as such because Dan Rooney pushed for its adoption four years ago.

There were reports that the league office and/or its players association put pressure on the Steelers to hire a minority coach, and Upshaw's comments yesterday did nothing to diminish those reports.

"Not saying other candidates didn't deserve it," Upshaw said, again congratulating Rooney for taking the step he did.

Neither Dan nor Art Rooney could be reached for comment.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07033/758819-66.stm

HometownGal
02-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Here's Ed Bouchette once again trying to stir up controversy with Tomlin's hiring, just because Upshaw congratulated the Rooneys for hiring him. Will it EVER end? :rolleyes:

Union chief hails hiring of Tomlin
Credits Dan Rooney for 'walking the walk'

Friday, February 02, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- Dan and Art Rooney spent time last week denying there was pressure put on them from the league or the NFL Players Association to hire a minority coach for the Steelers.

Yesterday, NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw made it clear that he was delighted the Steelers hired their first black coach in Mike Tomlin.

Upshaw began by noting the historic precedence of having two minority head coaches in the Super Bowl, then turned his attention to Dan Rooney, the team's chairman who arrived in Miami yesterday but did not attend the afternoon NFLPA news conference.

"I want to say to Dan Rooney, he not only walked the walk, he talked the talk," Upshaw said. "It was very important he took that step."

The reference by Upshaw was to the NFL's "Rooney Rule," which requires each team to interview at least one minority coach in their search for a head coach. It was named as such because Dan Rooney pushed for its adoption four years ago.

There were reports that the league office and/or its players association put pressure on the Steelers to hire a minority coach, and Upshaw's comments yesterday did nothing to diminish those reports.

"Not saying other candidates didn't deserve it," Upshaw said, again congratulating Rooney for taking the step he did.

Neither Dan nor Art Rooney could be reached for comment.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07033/758819-66.stm

Argghhhh. :dang: I wish this race issue would die a quick death and that some of these reporters would knock it off with the conspiracy theories and stick the race card up their hineys.

One name - Ed Bouchette. I should have known better than to read it.

SteelersTilIDie
02-03-2007, 12:47 PM
From all of the Steeler fans in Pittsburgh, Welcome to the Pittsburgh STeelers Organization Mike Tomlin!!

Preacher
06-13-2009, 07:00 PM
This feels just like buying a new car.

Everything is so shiny and pretty. The engine just purrs, the freeway is calling.

In the back of the head though is always that one thought... Is this the car that was put together by the hungover line worker Monday morning?

I am SO excited... but actions and words are two different things.

COme onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Tomlin... do what you say!! We want another 5 rings!!

I say give Tomlin a few years. He needs that much time to know what kind of coaching staff he wants, be able to go get those coaches, make the changes that he thinks needs to be made, etc.

I am willing to give him a couple years with 8-8, 7-9, 9-7 teams in bringing his team about. However, once he has a couple three years under his belt, he needs to start putting up STRONG superbowl run teams.

Well, I can SAFELY say that Tomlin wasn't put togehter as a coach by a hungover Monday-morning line worker! :chuckle: Also interesting, he won the whole thing in his second year!

What a pick by the Rooneys, and CONGRATS Tomlin on your first SB win.

Now as I said before, we want 4 more!

pancake
06-15-2009, 02:15 AM
I must admit that he was not one of my choices( like I get to help choose :laughing:), but I heard nothing but great things about him and they all look to be true.:tt02:

wezx
06-19-2009, 01:35 AM
From all of the Steeler fans in Pittsburgh, Welcome to the Pittsburgh STeelers Organization Mike Tomlin!!

I concur...welcome and thanks for the first 2 great seasons!