PDA

View Full Version : Official Welcome to Pittsburgh Coach Tomlin thread.

Pages : [1] 2

AvoidLLoyd95
01-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Steelers pick Tomlin as head coach
Sunday, January 21, 2007

By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin

The Steelers have informed Mike Tomlin, the Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator, that he will be their next head coach. The team plans a news conference to announce his hiring.

The sides were negotiating a contract tonight for four years and an option year. The Steelers made their decision today between Russ Grimm, their assistant head coach and offensive line coach, and Tomlin. They informed Grimm today that they had chosen Tomlin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

steelerbackr4life
01-21-2007, 05:52 PM
Ive seen this somewhere before.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
01-21-2007, 05:54 PM
yes hey everyone I bet I'm the first person to add him to my avatar

slashsteel
01-21-2007, 05:55 PM
NFL Network is reporting it too. I think we can now say it is official.

Now that he is a Steeler go Tomlin make us proud ! !

tony hipchest
01-21-2007, 06:00 PM
if this is the case, the only hold up was to see if the bears would lose so the steelers could use rivera as leverage to save 50 bucks.

Jeremy
01-21-2007, 06:06 PM
Welcome to the Steel City coach!

mattss
01-21-2007, 06:12 PM
wow this will be interesting, let's hope this works out..

Fox Sports

"The two sides have agreed to terms on a multi-year deal that is believed to be comparable to the four-year, $10 million deal Cam Cameron reached with the Miami Dolphins.

The Steelers are expected to officially announce Tomlin as their coach Monday.

Tomlin was originally scheduled to fly to Mobile, Alabama for this week's Senior Bowl but was asked by Pittsburgh brass to not get on the plane.

Calls to Tomlin have not been returned but sources close to the coach said he expects to be able to work out the terms of the contract with the Steelers by this evening."

HometownGal
01-21-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm going to merge this thread with AvoidLloyd's, Jeremy.

Please- pretty please with a cherry on top everyone- post all of your comments regarding the Steelers new HC in this thread. Pings to the side of the head to all who don't comply. :wink02:

stillers4me
01-21-2007, 06:25 PM
A very big, warm welcome to the newest Man of Steel.....Coach Mike Tomlin!!! Noll, Cowher, Tomlin.......no pressure here big guy, but whoa!! :wink02:

Enjoy your stay in Pittsburgh! I hope it will be a long and successful one!

OneForTheToe
01-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Welcome Coach.

Hey, if it is 2.5 million a year it won't make Tomlin the lowest payed coach in the league. :wink02:

That would also be about the same Whisenhunt.

SteelCzar76
01-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Welcome aboard the greatest franchise in any sport 'Iron Mike'.:helmet: May you surpass even your own expectations. (let alone those of the Steeler Nation) And add to the glory and success of this Franchise. Immortality awaits.

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"

SteelCityMan786
01-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Let the Mike Tomlin Era Begin. In Pittsburgh we'll be

"TOMLIN BOMBIN" EVERY TEAM WE PLAY AGAINST

Welcome to Pittsburgh Mike, make us all proud man.

Atlanta Dan
01-21-2007, 07:25 PM
I think a clean break from Cowher is best - it would be a nice sign if some of the players showed up at tomorrow's press conference.

Welcome Coach Tomlin to a team with one of the most attentive fan bases (for good and bad) in pro sports.

WWIIOwheelz
01-21-2007, 07:32 PM
One of the toughest games we played down the stretch last year, on the way to the Superbowl, was the Minnesota Vikings. I commented to many friends that the Minnesota defense was doing extremely well. I find it incredibly ironic that I had no idea who Mike Tomlin was at that time & that I told so many people how impressed with the Vikings D I was.

He was there during all that crap with the strippers/cruise etc., too, so he knows how to deal with that kind of adversity, but I think he'll find this program devoid of that kind of thing.

Welcome to Pittsburgh, Coach Tomlin!

MACH1
01-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Please- pretty please with a cherry on top everyone- post all of your comments regarding the Steelers new HC in this thread. Pings to the side of the head to all who don't comply. :wink02:

So what your saying is no more coachs threads? :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

Welcome to the team coach. :cheers:

klick81
01-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Welcome Coach!

HometownGal
01-21-2007, 07:51 PM
So what your saying is no more coachs threads? :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny:

Smart-alek. :wink02: :flap:

vlad
01-21-2007, 08:53 PM
Mike Tomlin, what can I say? He's a Hall Of Famer in the making. He's intelligent, and I can't describe to you guys how serious an advantage that is.

Bill Cowher wasn't particularly intelligent. Brian Billick isn't intelligent - he just reads his thesaurus every night before bedtime. Iron Mike Tomlin - can we work on popularising this nickname please, I love it - is smart!

So welcome, dear smart fellow, to our beloved Steeler family! We shall respect your authoritah! :)

Dynasty
01-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Iron Mike was/is Da Coach.... he should be Steel Mike!

Congrats Coach!

touchdownward
01-21-2007, 09:40 PM
I love the fire that Tomlin has on the sidelines, kinda like a young Bill Cowher. :smile:

83-Steelers-43
01-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Also, actual Pittsburgh TV stations are reporting the same (KDKA). Tomlin is our man.

Once again and I'm to see it, congratulations Mr. Tomlin. Do us good.

stillers4me
01-21-2007, 09:41 PM
I love the fire that Tomlin has on the sidelines, kinda like a young Bill Cowher. :smile:

I agree!!

Newzfoxjr
01-21-2007, 09:42 PM
NFL.com had a story saying that nothing has been announced and Rooney said there's no decision yet...but either way I just hope we get a good coach. o_o

dhosmer
01-21-2007, 10:00 PM
welcome iron mike. a william and mary grad has to be smart. i like the choice.

Dynasty
01-21-2007, 10:11 PM
Steel Mike!!! lol

X-Terminator
01-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Welcome to Pittsburgh, Mike Tomlin! I'm sure you will do a great job and have a long tenure as the Steelers' coach! I also hope you have Teflon skin, because the fans here will drive you nuts and want to run you out of town if you don't deliver them the Super Bowl next season :wink02:

Preacher
01-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Here we go Tomlin here we go!!!

And yes, I would LOVE to see a few Steelers show up to welcome Tomlin. That would be classy.

Preacher
01-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Welcome to Pittsburgh, Mike Tomlin! I'm sure you will do a great job and have a long tenure as the Steelers' coach! I also hope you have Teflon skin, because the fans here will drive you nuts and want to run you out of town if you don't deliver them the Super Bowl next season :wink02:

How scary, how true! :tt02:

tony hipchest
01-22-2007, 01:07 AM
One of the toughest games we played down the stretch last year, on the way to the Superbowl, was the Minnesota Vikings. I commented to many friends that the Minnesota defense was doing extremely well. I find it incredibly ironic that I had no idea who Mike Tomlin was at that time & that I told so many people how impressed with the Vikings D I was.

He was there during all that crap with the strippers/cruise etc., too, so he knows how to deal with that kind of adversity, but I think he'll find this program devoid of that kind of thing.

Welcome to Pittsburgh, Coach Tomlin!
psssst. tomlin wasnt there last season.

and we whipped the vikings nevertheless.

Steel_Bus_24
01-22-2007, 04:13 AM
Welcome Coach, and may we win many SBs together

Galax Steeler
01-22-2007, 04:18 AM
Lets go tomlin

Spidey
01-22-2007, 05:23 AM
Welcome to the Burgh, home of football!!

rexpress
01-22-2007, 05:32 AM
Gotta come up with something other the Iron Mike.

"Steel" Hand Mike? (He would of course have to earn that name by eating 50 eggs!)

dash66
01-22-2007, 06:39 AM
Welcome to the Steeler Nation Mike. I'll admit, you weren't the coach that I was hoping got the job, but now that you have it, I'm behind you 100%!! You've inherited a great team, now go do great things with is. Make us proud!

Black&GoldBleeder
01-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Welcome Coach- LETS GO!! (oops...) hope you wear a size 14 ya have some big shoes to fill!

Justin Otstott
01-22-2007, 09:00 AM
I am glad he is now our HC!!! Welcome Tomlin!

Ward86MVP
01-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Welcome Coach Tomlin! We're all behind you. Now it's time to get back to business.

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the best damn team in the NFL!
The fans are many, the fans are nation wide, and the fans want another trophy (just thought you should know that going in)!

As for his name, this is a stretch - but I'm trying, Titanium Tomlin!

nicesteel4life
01-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Welcome aboard the greatest franchise in any sport 'Iron Mike'.:helmet: May you surpass even your own expectations.

Lets watch the IRON Mike Stuff, There was only one of them in Steelers History and he wore #52 and was the best dam center of ALL-TIME!

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Press conference announcing Tomlin's hiring is scheduled for 3:30 EST today.

http://news.steelers.com/article/73526/

Steelers to Introduce New Head Coach at Press Conference

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers will hold a press conference at 3:30 p.m. today to introduce Mike Tomlin as their new head coach. Tomlin will become the 16th head coach in Steelers history after coaching as defensive coordinator with the Minnesota Vikings in 2006.

The press conference will take place at Steelers headquarters at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex.

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 09:43 AM
And as soon as your press conference is done, please get your butt to the Senior Bowl to watch the future draft picks of the Pittsburgh Steelers!

now - GIT 'R DONE!!!

MJ5150
01-22-2007, 09:54 AM
Alright...LET'S DO THIS!!!

-Mike

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-22-2007, 10:01 AM
WPXI will be streaming live feed of the press conference today. Scheduled time is 3:30 EST and 12:30 PST. Here's the link

http://www.wpxi.com/tu/5m5im0Ldk.html

NV STEELERS 723
01-22-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm glad the Rooneys hired Coach Tomlin...once again...a smart choice!

ARKIESTEEL
01-22-2007, 10:05 AM
I guess he coached at Arkansas state the last year I was there.....I feel bad that I dont recall his name:dang:

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Got it saved to my links and posted in my calendar!

SteelerFanInCA
01-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Cool. Thanks for the heads up.

floodcitygirl
01-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Appreciate the info. Grrrrrr....3:30???!!! I have to pick up the carpool!!!!! :banging:

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Well if you spent the majority of your last year under the tap, then you're forgiven!

klick81
01-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Press conference announcing Tomlin's hiring is scheduled for 3:30 EST today.

http://news.steelers.com/article/73526/

Steelers to Introduce New Head Coach at Press Conference

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers will hold a press conference at 3:30 p.m. today to introduce Mike Tomlin as their new head coach. Tomlin will become the 16th head coach in Steelers history after coaching as defensive coordinator with the Minnesota Vikings in 2006.

The press conference will take place at Steelers headquarters at the UPMC Sports Performance Complex.

Woot woot!!! I know what' i'll be doing at 12:30! Wait...3:30 'burgh time does equal 12:30 pacific, correct? Anyway, where will it air?

klick81
01-22-2007, 10:32 AM
WPXI will be streaming live feed of the press conference today. Scheduled time is 3:30 EST and 12:30 PST. Here's the link

http://www.wpxi.com/tu/5m5im0Ldk.html

LOL...sweet. You just answered my questions posted on another thread. Thanks!

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Woot woot!!! I know what' i'll be doing at 12:30! Wait...3:30 'burgh time does equal 12:30 pacific, correct? Anyway, where will it air?

Yep - we're 3 hours ahead of you out on the west coast. I see you got your answer in another thread. :thumbsup:

3:30 PM EST officially begins the Tomlin era! :tt02:

Borski
01-22-2007, 11:12 AM
%^&* I have class!

are you saving it also or is it just a live stream?

steveironcity
01-22-2007, 11:28 AM
You know whats pissin me off? All over ESPN and ESPN2 right now is coverage of Bill parcells retireing!!!! Why did he pick today? Why not tomarrow? Its stealing Mikes thunder!!!

Big D
01-22-2007, 11:31 AM
You know whats pissin me off? All over ESPN and ESPN2 right now is coverage of Bill parcells retireing!!!! Why did he pick today? Why not tomarrow? Its stealing Mikes thunder!!!

Because the girls are "americas team" and also the former team one of there crackhead commentators played for.

TackleMeBen
01-22-2007, 11:35 AM
I might have to get the kids out of school early now :wink02:

augustashark
01-22-2007, 11:48 AM
I say welcome and good luck to Mr Tomlin.

I will never wish anything but wins and superbowls on him BUT:

I think that he (IMO) was the weakest of the four (whiz, grimm, riveria).

To me Continuity is everthing. I think whiz would have been best.

I will not be happy to say I told you so, but I think the Steelers have backed themselves into a corner here.

If he goes 8-8 two years in a row do you fire him? or do you give the same respect that Cowher received? If you fire do you hear the whispers of why only two years, they gave cowher 13 before he won the SB.

Change is good, when done the right way! Change just to change is a step back and is counterproductive.

So be it.

MACH1
01-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Only time will tell.

Steelers
01-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Certainly more than 2 years.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Cowher won immediately and it took Noll 4 years to build from the basement up to start his run.

If Tomlin has a 4 year contract with a 1 year option I think he gets 4 years absent total disaster. The Rooneys know this current team has several young impact players (most importantly the QB) but will be going through some major retooling - an outside choice was decided to be best for that task and they were not going to wait until after the SB to pursue the Rivera alternative.

As stated in a Ron Cook column in another thread, HC hires are no sure thing. We will just need to hope for the best.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 12:28 PM
By all reports it sounds that Mike Tomlin is going to keep coach LeBeau. So I think its safe say those worried about a total change just calm down. As I see it Mike Tomlin has to win right away and the best way to do that is keeping the 3-4. I just don't see if Tomlin has two or three bad years the Rooney's keeping him. They stuck with Noll and Cowher so long since they were proven winners/great coaches.

Thats why I see Mike Tomlin sticking with the 3-4 since the pressure will be on to win. He knows he isn't going to a team like the Cards or the Texans. In Pittsburgh the play-offs are expected every year. I'm happy with the hire of Mike Tomlin and I'm excited about this new era of Pittsburgh Steelers football about to begin.

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 12:31 PM
By all reports it sounds that Mike Tomlin is going to keep coach LeBeau. So I think its safe say those worried about a total change just calm down. As I see it Mike Tomlin has to win right away and the best way to do that is keeping the 3-4. I just don't see if Tomlin has two or three bad years the Rooney's keeping him. They stuck with Noll and Cowher so long since they were proven winners/great coaches.

Thats why I see Mike Tomlin sticking with the 3-4 since the pressure will be on to win. He knows he isn't going to a team like the Cards or the Texans. In Pittsburgh the play-offs are expected every year. I'm happy with the hire of Mike Tomlin and I'm excited about this new era of Pittsburgh Steelers football about to begin.

Well said! :iagree:

NV STEELERS 723
01-22-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for posting that...hopefully ESPN will have too.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 12:38 PM
The fans may think Tomlin needs to win right away but Dan Rooney knows the league is designed to be cyclical - Cowher made the playoffs his first 6 seasons and 4 of his last 6 seasons, but had a 3 year gap between those 2 runs - Tomlin coming in at the start of what potentially may be another rebuilding cycle should give him some slack with the Rooneys.

As for Noll, he had a tremendous run from 1972-1984 (11 playoffs, 4 SBs, 7 AFC championship games). However, he was not a proven winner from day one:

1969 1-13
1970 5-9
1971 6-8
1972 11-3

I think Tomlin gets to his 4th year absent no playoff appearances or winning records his first 3 years - cornerstones of the Rooney Way are patience and not overpaying for talent, which would include buying out Tomlin's contract.

Da Steeler Soprano
01-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Welp we're done. Someone said here before about an overweight coach being unlucky or something how about a black coach?? I know what everyones thinking there are 2 black coaches in the superbowl right now but there no way the league is gonna write the script to have another black coach get there any time soon. Yes I said script as in every other playoffs. No way the Saints and Pats lose those games yesterday. Oh well time to suffer through some more Bubby Brister type years for awhile.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Welp we're done. Someone said here before about an overweight coach being unlucky or something how about a black coach?? I know what everyones thinking there are 2 black coaches in the superbowl right now but there no way the league is gonna write the script to have another black coach get there any time soon. Yes I said script as in every other playoffs. No way the Saints and Pats lose those games yesterday. Oh well time to suffer through some more Bubby Brister type years for awhile.

Are you joking or what???? :jawdrop:

steveironcity
01-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Are you joking or what???? :jawdrop:

he must of started drinking early

alittlejazzbird
01-22-2007, 01:02 PM
Sheesh, Da Steeler Soprano...one can only hope that you are just trying to stir the pot for the sake of stirring it, and that you don't really believe that nonsense. Mike Tomlin, by all accounts from his peers and superiors, and based as well on my initial impressions from his two post-interview conversations with the local press, would appear to be eminently qualified to be the head coach of this team.

I don't think the vast majority of the Steeler Nation cares in the least if Tomlin is purple with yellow spots, as long as he can deliver the goods. I haven't yet seen anything to indicate that he won't be able to do exactly that.

Plus which....I'm sorry, I just have to say this because I've been thinking it for days and days....and I mean it in a politically correct way and with all due respect for his many professional accomplishments....Mike Tomlin is one handsome guy!!!!! :yep:

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 01:04 PM
he must of started drinking early

Or bet his house, car, and the family dog on the Saints and the Pats.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-22-2007, 01:06 PM
Welcome to the best damn team in the NFL!
The fans are many, the fans are nation wide, and the fans want another trophy (just thought you should know that going in)!

As for his name, this is a stretch - but I'm trying, Titanium Tomlin!

hmmmmm....We had our season with "the Chin"....and Lebeau is already "the architect" of the Steelers' famed "zone blitz...maybe its time for a Master of the rugged arts to orchestrate a new era of winning tradition... Mike "the Maestro" Tomlin?

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 01:06 PM
The fans may think Tomlin needs to win right away but Dan Rooney knows the league is designed to be cyclical - Cowher made the playoffs his first 6 seasons and 4 of his last 6 seasons, but had a 3 year gap between those 2 runs - Tomlin coming in at the start of what potentially may be another rebuilding cycle should give him some slack with the Rooneys.

As for Noll, he had a tremendous run from 1972-1984 (11 playoffs, 4 SBs, 7 AFC championship games). However, he was not a proven winner from day one:

1969 1-13
1970 5-9
1971 6-8
1972 11-3

I think Tomlin gets to his 4th year absent no playoff appearances or winning records his first 3 years - cornerstones of the Rooney Way are patience and not overpaying for talent, which would include buying out Tomlin's contract.

Both Noll/Cowher proved over time they were winners and great coaches. Thats what I'm saying. Thats why the Rooney's stuck with them so long. I just think Mike Tomlin has to at least show the Steelers will be at least in contention for the play-offs from the start. I don't see the Rooneys sticking with Tomlin if he has three 4-6 win seasons in a row.

Thats why I don't see the complete change that some think will take place. The Steelers need some work but don't need to be totally rebuilt. This team has the talent to compete for the play-offs next year. Especially if the 3-4 defense is kept.

ExtonSteelFan
01-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Some early reports on sirius NFL radio are that Tomlin wants to keep as much of the current staff on board as he can (especially Dick Labeau). Good news for some of the people worrying about a major shakeup.

DACEB
01-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Congrats Coach Tomlin, the best of luck for you and the team.

I hope that any of the coaches that are asked to stay work together to bring another title to our beloved Steeltown. :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Both Noll/Cowher proved over time they were winners and great coaches. Thats what I'm saying. Thats why the Rooney's stuck with them so long. I just think Mike Tomlin has to at least show the Steelers will be at least in contention for the play-offs from the start. I don't see the Rooneys sticking with Tomlin if he has three 4-6 win seasons in a row.

Thats why I don't see the complete change that some think will take place. The Steelers need some work but don't need to be totally rebuilt. This team has the talent to compete for the play-offs next year. Especially if the 3-4 defense is kept.

I think you and I are in basic agreement - LeBeau staying for another year would be tremendous. I agree the talent is there for a playoff run in 2007 - 2008 is where the rebuilding starts. Making the playoffs next year probably gets Tomlin to 2010 no matter what hapens the next 2 seasons.

If Porter stays for 2007 I cannot imagine he gets an extension, Faneca is up for a new contract as he starts his 11th year in the league in 2008 and I have lot of uncertainty about Troy staying past 2007. So may be seeing lots of new faces after 2007.

ExtonSteelFan
01-22-2007, 01:49 PM
I think you and I are in basic agreement - LeBeau staying for another year would be tremendous. I agree the talent is there for a playoff run in 2007 - 2008 is where the rebuilding starts. Making the playoffs next year probably gets Tomlin to 2010 no matter what hapens the next 2 seasons.

If Porter stays for 2007 I cannot imagine he gets an extension, Faneca is up for a new contract as he starts his 11th year in the league in 2008 and I have lot of uncertainty about Troy staying past 2007. So may be seeing lots of new faces after 2007.

Can you elaborate more on why you're uncertain about Troy staying past 2007? Is it because you think he wouldn't be effective in a new defensive scheme? Not to say I don't agree with you, but I find it hard to imagine any coach (whether new or not) to give up a special player such as Troy.

alittlejazzbird
01-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Can you elaborate more on why you're uncertain about Troy staying past 2007? Is it because you think he wouldn't be effective in a new defensive scheme? Not to say I don't agree with you, but I find it hard to imagine any coach (whether new or not) to give up a special player such as Troy.

Perhaps he thinks money could be an issue when Troy's contract comes up for negotiation?

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 02:04 PM

I do not think it is a matter of the Steelers leaving Troy (although the more I read about the long term effects of concussions the scarier that image of Troy on the sidelines in the New Orleans game becomes, mainly for Troy's long term well being but also for sinking a lot of cap $ into a Troy signing bonus) so much as Troy leaving the Steelers.

While LeBeau will be back for 2007, which is great news, I think the long term trend is for a new DC and a new defensive scheme. If Troy thinks his game is better to suited to a 3-4 scheme in which he can freelance more that what Tomlin installs, then going to a new defensive scheme, combined with players/coaches leaving + the Rooneys reputation for squeezing nickels & dimes, might lead Troy to pursue a more favorable playing/financial environment out West.

OneForTheToe
01-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I for one think Troy could flourish in a tampa 2, zone blitz or a hybrid system. Bob Sanders is an impact player for the Colts. I think whether Troy stays is based on money and how strong a desire, if any, he has to return to the west coast.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 02:18 PM
ESPN.com has this valentine to the Rooneys on the Tomlin selection

Coaching search shows Steelers know what they're doing
By Michael Smith
ESPN.com

Also, give the Steelers credit for focusing on the big picture rather than the short term. No one would have blamed the Rooneys for promoting from within in an attempt to maintain continuity on a team one season removed from its fifth championship. Or even for hiring an offensive coach or one whose preferred defensive scheme is better-suited to their current personnel. (Tomlin comes from the Tampa 2 coaching tree. The Steelers have run the 3-4 since the early 1980s.) Whereas other teams often select a head coach with one unit or even a few players a mind, Pittsburgh chose whom it believes to be the best leader.

Interestingly, an organization that has changed so little in the past -- Tomlin is the team's third coach in the past 38 seasons -- ignored the potential sweeping changes and instead focused on Tomlin's potential.

Clearly the Rooneys were thinking more about the next two decades rather than the next two years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2738981

83-Steelers-43
01-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Tomlin Arrives at Pittsburgh Airport: http://kdka.com/video/?id=24057@kdka.dayport.com

Like the suit! :tt02:

Steelers
01-22-2007, 02:28 PM
Will this be on KDKA in a few minutes?

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Just listening to him speak sends goose-bumps up and down my spine!

I'm starting to believe that the Rooney's not only got the best coach available but another "diamond in the rough" who will do nothing but to continue the storied franchise of the Steelers and bring more Super Bowl titles!

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Tomlin was already signing autographs and posing for pictures with fans - what a nice guy! :tt02: Sharp dresser, too. :thumbsup: I'm really excited about the Tomlin era beginning! :cheers:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-22-2007, 02:34 PM
this link will take you directly to live video

http://www.wpxi.com/video/10815189/detail.html

83-Steelers-43
01-22-2007, 02:36 PM
"First class, blue collar work ethic"..................

Oh yeah.

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 02:37 PM
GOD!
Now that says a lot about who he is!
Not that I expect him to be perfect but I know where his core values and foundation lay!

Every day I become more impressed with Tomlin!

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Need to work on the "uhs" (better than "you know" but still) - great suit & tie combo though!

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Has anyone noticed that he sucks in his lips. I can see this being a sideline trade mark (like the chin and spit of Cowher) when he gets peeved during the game!

He keep all the "uhs" and "umms" he wants to say as long as they come right after, "That was a tough team we faced today, and the team pulled together for the W"

Big D
01-22-2007, 02:46 PM
I think the guy is just wicked nervous. Not everyday do you get named head coach of the pittsburgh steelers.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 02:47 PM
LOL @ you Dan! :sofunny: I really like what I'm hearing thus far - seems like a down to earth guy who is very excited about this opportunity and wants to get to work immediately on getting our boys back to the top where they belong. :tt02:

He has an uncanny resemblance to X-Terminator - LOL! :smile:

Big D
01-22-2007, 02:49 PM
LOL @ you Dan! :sofunny: I really like what I'm hearing thus far - seems like a down to earth guy who is very excited about this opportunity and wants to get to work immediately on getting our boys back to the top where they belong. :tt02:

I like the way he is addressing the coaching situation. Obviously there will be more changes on the staff.

stlrtruck
I think the guy is just wicked nervous. Not everyday do you get named head coach of the pittsburgh steelers.

What are you talking about, I got a call a few weeks ago for an interview and had to turn them down. I couldn't convince my wife to move!

LOL - j/k

HometownGal
He keep all the "uhs" and "umms" he wants to say as long as they come right after, "That was a tough team we faced today, and the team pulled together for the W"

He must be hangin' out with Mario Lemieux. No one but no one uses the "uh" as much as Mario - LOL!

Big D
01-22-2007, 02:50 PM
What are you talking about, I got a call a few weeks ago for an interview and had to turn them down. I couldn't convince my wife to move!

LOL - j/k

the steelers job is a position you have to leave your wife for. What were you thinking man!?

Big D
01-22-2007, 02:51 PM
I think this guy is getting way to many age questions.

Borski
01-22-2007, 02:52 PM
never mind, class got canceled.......SWEET!

Big D
01-22-2007, 02:53 PM
I dont see this guy making any of his players cry.

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 02:54 PM
the steelers job is a position you have to leave your wife for. What were you thinking man!?

It wasn't leaving my wife that concerned...it would be that darling of a daughter I have that I couldn't do!

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 02:55 PM
I dont see this guy making any of his players cry.

Don't let the press conference fool you. He looks like the guy that could go berzerk on the sideline!

83-Steelers-43
01-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Woooohoooooo!!!!

Let's Go Coach Tomlin!!!

I'm pumped.

Borski
01-22-2007, 02:57 PM
I like him even more after that

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Woooohoooooo!!!!

Let's Go Coach Tomlin!!!

I'm pumped.

When does the season start?

Let's just take the team to Miami, storm the field, and take on both the Bears and Colts (LOL)!

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Don't let the press conference fool you. He looks like the guy that could go berzerk on the sideline!

Oh hell yeah - I agree. He also came across as extremely flexible which can be a very good thing. :thumbsup:

klick81
01-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Let's get this started baby!!!! Can't wait to see what's next.

SteelerFanInCA
01-22-2007, 03:00 PM
I liked him as well. I love his attitude. He sounds like he has a really strong work ethic. Either way he's our new guy now so I will back him 100%.

ajs8207
I like him even more after that

I agree. The man sounded very impressive. If you were listening closely he did give a bit of a hint and said we are probably going to be using both a 3-4 and a 4-3.

nicesteel4life
He had a very good first interview as the Steelers Coach. I think it's going to work out well.

klick81
never mind, class got canceled.......SWEET!

Cancelled...yeeeah right!!! :sofunny:

Anyway, I can't wait for this off-season to begin AND end. It's gonna be an interesting ride to say the least.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-22-2007, 03:02 PM
he has a focus and intensity about him, yet a calmness of disposition. bold, yet not arrogant. funny, he's the same as age as cowher was, yet the "age" questions came pretty hard at him.

bottom line: i LIKE what i saw. i believe that he's the right man for this job...he provided enough information that gave us a glimpse into who he is...his philosophy of football (players & personnel trump schemes)...and yet didn't feel the need to ramble on.

good hire.

Borski
01-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Cancelled...yeeeah right!!! :sofunny:

Anyway, I can't wait for this off-season to begin AND end. It's gonna be an interesting ride to say the least.

really it did lol, but I missed the first half of the press conference walking to class before finding out it was canceled and walking back.

Steelers
01-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Exactly. Constantly spoke about how blessed he is and how it's God's plan that he's here. Also, very charismatic and determined. :helmet:

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 03:04 PM
he has a focus and intensity about him, yet a calmness of disposition. bold, yet not arrogant. funny, he's the same as age as cowher was, yet the "age" questions came pretty hard at him.

bottom line: i LIKE what i saw. i believe that he's the right man for this job...he provided enough information that gave us a glimpse into who he is...his philosophy of football (players & personnel trump schemes)...and yet didn't feel the need to ramble on.

good hire.

I need to go back to the Cowher video of his first press conference that I think is linked somewhere on the board for comparison.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 03:09 PM
I love this hire and I think Mike Tomlin is going to do well. He seems like a Pittsburgh kind of guy to me. Great hire by the Rooney's and I can't wait for the season.

Big D
01-22-2007, 03:11 PM

you're right. Nick Saban didnt look like the type of guy that could mae a 350lb lineman cry neither

augustashark
01-22-2007, 03:27 PM
I love this hire and I think Mike Tomlin is going to do well. He seems like a Pittsburgh kind of guy to me. Great hire by the Rooney's and I can't wait for the season.

Anyone but Cowher, right?

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 03:34 PM
I need to go back to the Cowher video of his first press conference that I think is linked somewhere on the board for comparison.

I put it up in the Media forum right after Cowher announced his resignation, Dan.

alittlejazzbird
01-22-2007, 03:51 PM
I just noticed on the Steelers website that they have retouched Mike Tomlin's photo to show him wearing a Steelers shirt instead of the Vikings shirt he was actually wearing in the photo. They sure didn't waste any time, LOL!

Preacher
01-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Dang Dang Dang...

I haven't seen the interview yet.

Anyone have a link... Not YouTube... I can't connect to youtube??:dang:

TexaSteeler
01-22-2007, 04:05 PM
It looks like he will need jaw implants.

Preacher
01-22-2007, 04:06 PM
By the way...

Did any of the STeelers show up to welcome him?

hardwork
01-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Got a coach, huh. Well, that's a start anyway.

MACH1
01-22-2007, 04:20 PM
dude, why dont you go grab a pole(not bradys) and go fishing with the rest of your team.

hardwork
01-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Just think, now that you have a coach, if you get a few players you might be able to field a team.

Big D
01-22-2007, 04:27 PM
Just think, now that you have a coach, if you get a few players you might be able to field a team.

I believe we just won a superbowl last year. When was the last time the patriots won a superbowl.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 04:33 PM

And maybe hold on to a 21-3 lead with the ball and first down at midfield late in the second quarter or, for that matter, hold on to the lead and the ball with less than three minutes to go.:smile:

Glad to see you are not betraying any indications of bitterness relating to a recent AFC Championship game.

hardwork
01-22-2007, 04:36 PM
I believe we just won a superbowl last year.

Yeah, and look at you now. Shot to hell.

blackngoldbaby
01-22-2007, 04:38 PM
:tt: welcome coach Tomlin to the steel city I know you will enjoy it!!!!and i know youll make the steeler nation proud!!!!!I thinks its wonderful to have you as our next head coach!:wink02: :thmbup: :tt:

Jeremy
01-22-2007, 04:38 PM

Why does an obviously bitter Patriots fan spend his time on a Steelers board?

Leave it to a Pats fan to ruin a thread meant to welcome our new head coach.

Big D
01-22-2007, 04:39 PM

Yeah and giving up a 21-3 lead is great too isnt it?! Just to let you know your pattys went 9-7 after there superbowl in 01. Did they go straight to hell?

hardwork
01-22-2007, 04:40 PM
And maybe hold on to a 21-3 lead with the ball and first down at midfield late in the second quarter or, for that matter, hold on to the lead and the ball with less than three minutes to go.:smile:

Glad to see you are not betraying any indications of bitterness relating to a recent AFC Championship game.

I'm quite proud of the Patriots. They had a good year. For most teams that would be as good a year as almost any they'd ever had. Of course being the Patriots we expect more. But, hey, we'll be back, and far stronger then the disjointed Steelers will be.

Jeremy
01-22-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm quite proud of the Patriots. They had a good year. For most teams that would be as good a year as almost any they'd ever had. Of course being the Patriots we expect more. But, hey, we'll be back, and far stronger then the disjointed Steelers will be.

You stay classy Boston.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 04:41 PM
hardwork - please show some class here. This is a Pittsburgh Steelers fans' thread welcoming our new HC. Future ignorant remarks will be deleted.

Big D
01-22-2007, 04:42 PM

just to let you know, there is a section for smack talk. I dont see why you feel the need to talk shit on this thread.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 04:42 PM
hardwork - please show some class here. This is a Pittsburgh Steelers fans' thread welcoming our new HC. Future ignorant remarks will be deleted.

+1 this thread is about Mike Tomlin and the future of the Steelers. Not about the loss of the Pats.

Thanks Hometown for stepping in and getting this thread back on the topic at hand.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 04:43 PM

Yet both teams will be watching SB XLI from their couches. Funny how that works out, huh?

Jeremy
01-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Yet both teams will be watching SB XLI from their couches. Funny how that works out, huh?

Karma is a real bitch sometimes.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Guys - please don't feed him.

Big D
01-22-2007, 04:46 PM
anyways.... how about mike tomlin? who will be our offensive coordinator next year?

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Guys - please don't feed him.

Sorry, HTG. As for the actual thread topic, not my first choice, but I wish Tomlin all the best and definitely welcome him.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 04:49 PM
Sorry, HTG. As for the actual thread topic, not my first choice, but I wish Tomlin all the best and definitely welcome him.

No problem, fansince - it's cool. :wink02:

Jeremy
01-22-2007, 04:49 PM
anyways.... how about mike tomlin? who will be our offensive coordinator next year?

I guess that depends on what Russ Grimm plans on doing. He'd be the logical choice to take over. If he doesn't get the job, Iron Mike could stay in house and promote whoever Whizzer doesn't hire away to be his OC in Arizona, either Arians or Whipple.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 04:50 PM

You have every right to be proud of the Patriots but take it from someone who rooted for a team that did win 4 Super Bowls in 6 years - nothing lasts forever in pro sports.

Coming on to a Welcome Coach Tomlin thread to talk trash (unless I missed comments dissing the Patriots in this thread) is something I would expect from BigBensBikeHelemt or BengalBrian but not from you.

NM

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Now who didn't see this one coming? I personally don't care if he's green with white polka dots!!!! :dang:

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/10816162/detail.html

Race Plays Part In Tomlin Fan Reaction

POSTED: 5:14 pm EST January 22, 2007
UPDATED: 5:30 pm EST January 22, 2007

PITTSBURGH -- New Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin is bound to be a different kind of head coach, but not just because of his style on the sidelines.

History was made on Sunday as two black head coaches, Lovie Smith of the Chicago Bears and Tony Dungy of the Indianapolis Colts, advanced to the Super Bowl for the first time.

In Pittsburgh, history was also made with the hiring of Tomlin. Tomlin is the Steelers' first black coach in the team's 74-year history.

On message boards around the Internet, the race card is being played from both sides of the table.

Take a look at some of the opinions on our Steelers Message Board.

One fan said Steelers fans don't care if their coaches or players are black, white, yellow, red or blue. They said all they care about is winning or losing.

But another fan said that it doesn?t matter if Tomlin had the least experience of all candidates. They said that Tomlin has the politically correct complexion.

"Black men coaching good teams end up being good coaches," said Dr. Paul Friday, a University of Pittsburgh Medical Center psychologist. "It doesn't matter that they are black. It means they are good coaches."

Friday said Pittsburgh is no different than other cities when it comes to race. He said it's a matter of perspective, which Pittsburgh got six years ago when Lloyd McClendon became the first black manager of the Pirates.

"If it is your life, and you can not see through color, you have a problem that transcends your love of the Pittsburgh Steelers," said Friday.

But Friday said Tomlin would also be judged in much the same manner as all of his predecessors.

"If you lose, they are going to hate you," said Friday. "If you win, you are going to be a hero. And I don't care if you are purple, yellow, black or white, you better win if you are a Steeler."

Some of the discussion has been sparked by the Rooney Rule, which is named after Steelers chairman Dan Rooney. The Rooney Rule requires NFL teams to interview minority candidates for top positions.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 04:57 PM

Before the Channel 11 feed froze on my computer (perhaps dazzled by Coach Tomlin's snazzy yellow tie!) I heard Tomlin say he would be keeping LeBeau and then deferred commenting on other coaches.

Let's see if Whiz is allowed to talk to the coaches the Steelers said were off limits - I think Grimm would have promoted Arians to OC, but if Tomlin wants to go elsewhere for an OC I think the Rooneys will grant permission for Arians to interview with Arizona.

It would be nice to hear Ben has come back to Pittsburgh to congratulate Tomlin rather than go directly from someplace like Vegas to South Beach for SB partying. A statement of support for the choice after losing Whiz or Grimm would send a good message for years to come.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 04:58 PM
When I look at Mike Tomlin I don't see a black coach or man. I just see a coach and a man. I was raised not to look at skin color. So I'm color blind when it comes to this stuff. I guess its historical for the Steelers to have their first african-american HC. But race isn't a factor to me. I just care about what kind of person Mike Tomlin and how good of a coach he is.

Jeremy
And people are saying Tomlin was hired because the Rooneys would loose face if they passed on the chance to put their money where there mouth is after they introduced the Rooney Rule. A lot of people loved Lloyd Mac. A lot of people hated Lloyd Mac. But at the end of the day he was fired because he wasn't winning.

But I think this hire was based on the fact that he's a young guy with a defensive mindset and he's from outside the program. I pray that race doesn't become a factor because the Burgh really doesn't need that type of negative PR right now.

Big D
Now who didn't see this one coming? I personally don't care if he's green with white polka dots!!!! :dang:

PITTSBURGH -- New Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin is bound to be a different kind of head coach, but not just because of his style on the sidelines.

History was made on Sunday as two black head coaches, Lovie Smith of the Chicago Bears and Tony Dungy of the Indianapolis Colts, advanced to the Super Bowl for the first time.

In Pittsburgh, history was also made with the hiring of Tomlin. Tomlin is the Steelers' first black coach in the team's 74-year history.

On message boards around the Internet, the race card is being played from both sides of the table.

One fan said Steelers fans don't care if their coaches or players are black, white, yellow, red or blue. They said all they care about is winning or losing.

But another fan said that it doesn?t matter if Tomlin had the least experience of all candidates. They said that Tomlin has the politically correct complexion.

"Black men coaching good teams end up being good coaches," said Dr. Paul Friday, a University of Pittsburgh Medical Center psychologist. "It doesn't matter that they are black. It means they are good coaches."

Friday said Pittsburgh is no different than other cities when it comes to race. He said it's a matter of perspective, which Pittsburgh got six years ago when Lloyd McClendon became the first black manager of the Pirates.

"If it is your life, and you can not see through color, you have a problem that transcends your love of the Pittsburgh Steelers," said Friday.

But Friday said Tomlin would also be judged in much the same manner as all of his predecessors.

"If you lose, they are going to hate you," said Friday. "If you win, you are going to be a hero. And I don't care if you are purple, yellow, black or white, you better win if you are a Steeler."

Some of the discussion has been sparked by the Rooney Rule, which is named after Steelers chairman Dan Rooney. The Rooney Rule requires NFL teams to interview minority candidates for top positions.

that is just out right pathetic. Who cares he's black. Last I checked there were two black coaches in the superbowl. And not only that it's tony dungy and another coaching under dungys tree is lovie smith, and tomlin is under the dungy tree. So obviously they know what the hell they are doing

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 04:59 PM
How cool - Wikipedia has already updated its page on Coach Tomlin!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tomlin

Big D
01-22-2007, 05:00 PM
When I look at Mike Tomlin I don't see a black coach or man. I just see a coach and a man. I was raised not to look at skin color. So I'm color blind when it comes to this stuff. I guess its historical for the Steelers to have their first african-american HC. But race isn't a factor to me. I just care about what kind of person Mike Tomlin and how good of a coach he is.

couldnt agree with you more. But if they would have hired htg, i would have freaked out!

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 05:08 PM
With Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy being in the SB this is not exactly the week for anyone to argue hiring a black coach must be based on tokenism rather then merit.

And it is not as if Coach Tomlin showed up at the press conference wearing a windbreaker and could not string two sentences together. Appearances matter and Tomlin has the look of a rising young exec in a major corporation.

Having seen and heard him for the first time I can see how he much he impresses prospective employers in interviews.

Big D
01-22-2007, 05:09 PM

it was updated on saturday, when nobody even knew if he was getting the job yet.

Big D
01-22-2007, 05:11 PM
With Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy being in the SB this is not exactly the week for anyone to argue hiring a black coach must be based on tokenism rather then merit.

And it is not as if Coach Tomlin showed up at the press conference wearing a windbreaker and could not string two sentences together. Appearances matter and Tomlin has the look of a rising young exec in a major corporation.

Having seen and heard him for the first time I can see how he much he impresses prospective employers in interviews.

I agree. I would have been worried if he would have showed up in one of michael irvins suits. But I think he holds himself in a very professional manor.

Jeremy
01-22-2007, 05:12 PM

A couple of years ago when Sylvester Croom was passed over for the Alabama job, SI did a pretty good piece about being a young black coach in football. One of the things that stuck with me from that piece was an interview with a black assisstant coach in college football. He was very blunt in saying that standards are different for black coaches. They have to do it better and cleaner than the other guy. They can't be running around in public talking slang or putting their hair in braids. They have to be better organized and more motivated than your average white coach.

It may not be a fair system, but it's produced some exellent coaches.

Big D
01-22-2007, 05:16 PM
A couple of years ago when Sylvester Croom was passed over for the Alabama job, SI did a pretty good piece about being a young black coach in football. One of the things that stuck with me from that piece was an interview with a black assisstant coach in college football. He was very blunt in saying that standards are different for black coaches. They have to do it better and cleaner than the other guy. They can't be running around in public talking slang or putting their hair in braids. They have to be better organized and more motivated than your average white coach.

It may not be a fair system, but it's produced some exellent coaches.

I vaguely remeber that. I agree that an african american man has to hold himself to a higher level and probably have to work harder. It's unfortunate that racism is still such an issue in america. And who would guess that steeler fans would question a mans credibility to coach because of color. If we would have hired brian schottenheimer would there be as man questions about his age?

Hammer67
01-22-2007, 05:17 PM

I added a few things to the Wikipedia entry. Mainly the age lines and the comparison to Cowher and Noll.

Hammer67
01-22-2007, 05:21 PM
All I can say is I am officially excited. I thought Mr. Tomlin presented himself very well at his press conference and I hope he is able to reinvigorate the franchise...not that it needed much. I am excited about change. I know some have been complaining about jumping to a 4-3 but those people forget that 4 of the 5 Steeler Super Bowls were won with a 4-3.

I can't wait for camp! Now...we just need a nickname for Mr. Tomlin...perhaps that won't happen until we get to know him better.

:thumbsup: :tt02:

SteelerFanInCA
01-22-2007, 05:26 PM

And if Caldwell had 3 hands he might be able to hold on to the ball.

SteelerFanInCA
01-22-2007, 05:29 PM
The was pretty nice of Tomlin to stop and sign a few autographs upon his arrival. I've got a good vibe about him.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 05:29 PM
couldnt agree with you more. But if they would have hired htg, i would have freaked out!

Oh bite me Dan! :moon: :wink02:

Big D
01-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Oh bite me Dan! :moon: :wink02:
:jawdrop:

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 05:31 PM
I agree. I would have been worried if he would have showed up in one of michael irvins suits. But I think he holds himself in a very professional manor.

Agree wholeheartedly! :thumbsup: I would have been more concerned if he showed up in one of Deion's suits -blech.

Big D
01-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Agree wholeheartedly! :thumbsup: I would have been more concerned if he showed up in one of Deion's suits -blech.

or sporting oocho stinkos mo hawk

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 05:38 PM

Also known as "pimpgarb." :sofunny:

lilyoder6
01-22-2007, 05:43 PM
i liked how he said he would keep dick as D coor.... and how he prefers the 4-3 and the tampa 2 and will try to work with dick to see which def to run

MACH1
01-22-2007, 05:47 PM
or sweats with cut off arms.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Also known as "pimpgarb." :sofunny:

LMFAO!!! :toofunny: :cheers: If he had "brake-danced" his way to the podium, I would have been concerned.

Atlanta Dan said it best above! :thumbsup:

I can't wait until camp to see Coach Tomlin in action! Hope a bunch of you can make it to camp this year, as well. :cheers:

hardwork
01-22-2007, 05:52 PM
And if Caldwell had 3 hands he might be able to hold on to the ball.

I doubt it.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Coming on to a Congratulations Colts thread and trashing the Patriots is something I'd expect from TO but not from you.

Excuse me, luv, but this is a PITTSBURGH STEELERS board, not a Patriots forum. Of course we're gonna rib you a bit after yesterday's debacle. :flap:

I think Dan was pretty darned complimentary in his posts about the Pats.

tony hipchest
01-22-2007, 06:07 PM

Having seen and heard him for the first time I can see how he much he impresses prospective employers in interviews.funny you mention that. my biggest thing with the hiring was switching schemes and players fot the tampa 2, citing the afc's dominance over the nfc, the multitude of teams switching to the 3-4 and the 3 of 4 remaining afc teams in the playoffs using it.

and here we are with 2 tampa 2 defenses in the superbowl. dungy practically glows when talking about what he learned from chuck noll, and its obvious he has passed all that knowledge down to his assistants, or so many of them wouldnt be finding success climbing the coaching ranks. it is good to have a branch of the noll coaching tree back in pittsburgh.

i will be glad when its official that lebeau will stay. running a hybrid defense that can fluidly switch from 3-4 and 4-3 will be good for confusing offenses, and will make some of lebeaus blitz schemes a little less predictable.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Coming on to a Congratulations Colts thread and trashing the Patriots is something I'd expect from TO but not from you.

I have enjoyed most of our exchanges over the last several months but for whatever reason I appear to be getting on your nerves (cannot imagine what else might be bothering you today).

In order to avoid making any comments to your future posts that might cause you distress, welcome to my ignore list - cannot respond to what I don't read.

If I want opinions on the Steelers or the NFL from a Pats fan I will read LITP.

stillers4me
01-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Ok kids...I just got home from work........I could hardly contain myself all day until I got home to watch the press conference!! Watching the new Steeler era begin actaully brought a tear to my eyes (not streaming down my face, mind you, just a little misty eyed!!) Am I a weirdo or what??????? (now don't everybody jump in at once to agree with me......).

I'm excited......wow!! That man is impressive!! Well spoken, classy, (good looking, too!)......and from what I hear, a players coach. I scoped out some Vikings forums last night and the fans were quite upset about him getting this job.......but most were respectful and wished him the best. One guy said, "I hate the Steelers even more now!!" LOL! Thats' a compliment to our new coach! The next poster replied, "I respect them even more now.". Now that's a compliment to our Steelers AND their new coach!! Most of them were disappointed because they had hoped that Tomlin would eventually end up as their HC.........they said he has a way of making the players want to play for him. I'm feeling really good about this change and looking forward to new and better Steeler days ahead!!!

I was disappointed that nobody handed him a Steelers ball cap to wear.........I can't wait to see him in the black and gold!! (I hope his kids can handle it......now that was funny!)

touchdownward
01-22-2007, 06:37 PM

I have a favorite quote from Martin Luther King Jr. "I look forward to the day when our children are judged not by the color of their skin, but on the basis of their character."

We've come a long way, but still have a long way to go.

I.C. Lights
01-22-2007, 07:15 PM
I have a favorite quote from Martin Luther King Jr. "I look forward to the day when our children are judged not by the color of their skin, but on the basis of their character."

We've come a long way, but still have a long way to go.

Here's to the Steelers, the foresight of the Rooneys and our future superstar coach. I have a feeling that we won't have to wait long for good things to come :wink02:

:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

Jacknut
01-22-2007, 09:38 PM
I don't know if this has been said yet or not, but I like the parallels with Noll and Cowher.

SteelerFanInTX210
01-22-2007, 10:25 PM
I think Mike Tomlin will give the steelers defense a new dimension, possibly with multiple fronts from the 4-3 and 3-4. Its going to be great. Welcome Coach!!!

caligirlsteelerfan86
01-22-2007, 10:41 PM
I am very excited about Tomlin! I began reading about all the candidates the steelers were looking and Tomlin stuck out to me. I forgot what poll it was but I did vote for him as our new coach. I liked what I read, I think he will do good in Pittsburgh, and I just had a good gut feeling about him. I was shocked the Steelers did not go with Grimm or Rivera like I thought they would. I really believe Tomlin will do a great job, I am not going to give up on the guy if the next season doesn't go his way. I think the job of a head coach is much like the Prez, your either loved or hated...it's tough. I really cannot explain it, I just have a great feeling about him, he might not shine in his first yr, but I see a lot coming from him. Again, Welcome to the Burgh Mike Tomlin!!! :tt02:

Borski
01-23-2007, 12:22 AM
I was on the Tribs website a little while ago to see if they retracted their story, they didnt but I did find a funny little photoshoped pic of Tomlin in a Steelers shirt.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2007-01-22/2007-0122-tomlin-d.jpg

heres the orignal
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2007/01/09/12/Mike_Tomlin_73464.jpg

by the way, Go Tomlin!

Preacher
01-23-2007, 12:22 AM
I LOVE this line..

"They are physically and mentally tough. They have a reputation for being that. Got some quality players; their resumes speak for themselves. And I'm sure the recent Super Bowl success and failure that followed will make them a hungry group of men."

Seems he calls em as he sees em...

GOOD!!:tt02::tt02:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-23-2007, 12:42 AM
They're not happy about losing Tomlin in Vikings land.....One thing I noticed from the comments they don't like Childress....not at all....

Okay, now since that is out of the way.....I am mourning the loss of
Tomlin. The only good thing about the 2006 season was the way the
defense played. And much like Childress ran the offense and deserves
any credit for its wonderful production, Tomlin deserves the credit for
the pretty fantastic defensive turnaround. This will be a huge loss for
the Vikings. I just wish dictator Childress would have allowed the
assistant coaches to talk to the press so us fans could have gotten to
know Tomlin better. Sounds like he is very articulate and a brilliant
strategist, which of course would have shown up Childress. No wonder
Childress doesn't want anyone talking to the press.

Fire Childress!!!!!

I'm not knocking Tomlin because I think he'll make a great head coach.
He not only demands the respect of his players, he earns it. His
players respond to him very well and that is what a team needs in a
head coach. In fact I was hoping that Tomlin would be around for
another year so if Childress sucked again and was fired Wilf could hire
him as head coach. But I'd hardly consider the defensive turnaround
fantastic. We may have had the top rush defense and the eighth overall
defense but that eighth overall is doesn't mean a thing when we're last
in passing defense and teams abandon the run to capitalize on that. I
do feel that Tomlin would have fixed that next season now that the rush
defense is established but now who knows what yahoo Childress will
bring in to screw that all up.

How about Glen Mason or Mike Tice? Seriously, I would hope that
Chilly goes after a seasoned Tampa-2 defensive coordinator. Hopefully
it is someone with as much energy and knowledge as Tomlin.

Tomlin was the best thing that happened to the 2006 Vikes and now that
is going to be taken away too. It really sucks.

Here goes another good coach he will probably build a powerhouse like
other Vikings assitant coaches have done and we'll be wishing we had
sent them Childress instead........Wait, I already do

He was probably asked to deny it until they make an official
announcement. This sucks if it's true.

--
Jerry

7Ben7
01-23-2007, 12:49 AM
I like him.

He believes in all of the fundamentals Cowher did, he believes in hard nose football and seems like he is ready and willing to take up the reigns.

Come on Tomiln.

MAKE US PROUD!!! :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Whew, that's a relief. When I saw the thread title, I halfway expected to see things like "glad we got rid of the bum." :ouch:

klick81
01-23-2007, 01:08 AM
I was on the Tribs website a little while ago to see if they retracted their story, they didnt but I did find a funny little photoshoped pic of Tomlin in a Steelers shirt.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2007-01-22/2007-0122-tomlin-d.jpg

heres the orignal
http://media3.steelers.com/MediaContent//2007/01/09/12/Mike_Tomlin_73464.jpg

by the way, Go Tomlin!

LMAO!!! You know, i saw the picture, but didn't realize it was a photoshop until you just pointed it out. Good call!

klick81
01-23-2007, 01:13 AM
Good signs...if they're not happy, it means we got someone they need.

X-Terminator
01-23-2007, 01:17 AM

No, he doesn't...he's much better looking than I am - LOL! :smile: :sofunny:

ChronoCross
01-23-2007, 02:44 AM
All of the Viking fans I have talked to have said no please do not take Tomlin away. Vikings and Vikings Fans both think very highly and respect Tomlin. Maybe the way he come across the teams he has been with and the fans of them teams of the respect and all was how he already even gained respect of the Roony's. I trust in the Roony's.

Preacher
01-23-2007, 03:00 AM
Funny Chrono...

I was thinking the same thing. Thank goodness.

Rooney's seem to know what thier doing. Let's hope they did it this year as well!!

Preacher
01-23-2007, 04:21 AM
So I am watching the NFL network.

They are saying that Tomlin is on a short lease because they won a superbowl... in the last couple of years!

WHAT ARE THE IDIOTS THINKING?

1. Tomlin is NOT on a short leash. THis is not the Raiders nor the Cowboys. This is a team and an owner that sticks with thier decisions and allows thier coaches to develop over time. How the heck can you say that ANY coach in on a short leash in pittsburgh. Sure, the fans may call for his head... probably will after the first loss!! BUt the owner.. Come on NFL network. LEARN WHO YOU ARE TALkING ABOUT.. Oh yeah, and there was some complaint about how he will be on a short leash as well because he is black... Yeah, with the team that instituted the minority rule.. CALLED THE ROONEY RULE. :screwy:

2. We WON A SB LAST YEAR... as in... 11 MONTHS AGO. LEARN HOW TO COUNT.

stlrtruck
01-23-2007, 06:54 AM
One word describes that fan....B I T T E R!

stlrtruck
01-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Like anyone has ever given any media outlet credit for being intelligent!

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 07:36 AM
I admit quotes can be taken out of context but this quote from Ben's agent is not exactly a ringing endorsement of the Tomlin hire by Ben.

Big changes for Big Ben
By Kevin Gorman
TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Roethlisberger could not be reached for a reaction to the hire Monday, when the Steelers formally introduced Tomlin as their 16th head coach in franchise history.

"Ben's going to wait to meet the coach and reserve any comment until the staff is resolved," said Roethlisberger's agent, Ryan Tollner.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_489843.html

So Ben does not endorse the choice until he finds out who the assistants are going to be?

Sounds like Ben may not be pleased with having to adjust to having a new sheriff in town.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Until you actually hear it from Ben it's pure speculation, and fishing for a story on Gorman's part... Just what we need another story created by the media...

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 07:52 AM
I blame the agent for not being more artful in his sound bite, assuming those words were not chosen carefully - would have been just as easy for the agent to say "Ben looks forward to meeting Coach Tomlin."

Reserving comment until the staff is hired sounds like something a mutual fund manager would say in response to a corporation hiring a new CEO.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-23-2007, 07:59 AM
True you would think an agent would be more responsible and know the politically correct thing to say...

HometownGal
01-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Sorry, Dan - had to move it.

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 08:54 AM
Sorry about that HTG

I should have remembered to keep all my Tomlin posts under this thread

ARKIESTEEL
01-23-2007, 09:03 AM
From what I seen of him he seems well spoken. Seems he is not showing any holes in his armor for the press to attack and I think he understands what Steeler football is.

I am happy I think this man will be fine... The future is bright.

Any thoughts on a nickname??????

HometownGal
01-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Sounds like Ben may not be pleased with having to adjust to having a new sheriff in town.

Ben is so accustomed to having Cowher and Whiz leading the pack - he has some major adjustments to make, as does the rest of the team, but I'm sure in the end they'll be very supportive of Coach Tomlin, OC Arians and whoever else Coach selects for the coaching staff. From what I've read and heard, Tomlin is very much a players' coach (like Cowher) and this is another plus to him being the Commander-in-Chief.

HometownGal
01-23-2007, 10:25 AM
From what I seen of him he seems well spoken. Seems he is not showing any holes in his armor for the press to attack and I think he understands what Steeler football is.

I am happy I think this man will be fine... The future is bright.

Any thoughts on a nickname??????

I've started calling him the Tomlinator to my friends. :smile:

alittlejazzbird
01-23-2007, 10:36 AM

Taking what Ben's agent said at face value, it appears to me that (a) Ben may or may not be in Pittsburgh at present, and has not yet met Mike Tomlin; and (b) as the quarterback of the Steelers, Ben of course expects to be asked for comments and would rather give them to the media, who will hang on every syllable and report it far and wide, after he has actually met with and talked to his new head coach.

Tempting though it is to read between the lines where the media is concerned, although Ryan Tollner could have said it a little better, I really think we're making too much of nothing.

PS to HometownGal - LOVE the Tomlinator nickname!!!!

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-23-2007, 11:33 AM
yeah, let's not jump to conclusions...we don't need a soundbite from these players just to get one. it might be nice for ben and tomlin to actually shake hands and say hello to each other before jumping to (false) conclusions.

83-Steelers-43
01-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Actor Omar Epps related to Tomlin? http://us.ent3.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/contrib_pix/o/m/hds/omar_epps.jpg

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-23-2007, 03:11 PM
that is too funny!!! i was racking my brain about who his "double" was - there's my answer. maybe he can hire greg house as his o-line coach!

BOXCAR JOEY
01-23-2007, 04:07 PM
I for one am excited for mike tomlin to be part of a city and team with a lot of history and greatness. and KUDOS to the rooney's too for stepping up to the plate and hiring a black head coach to be part of the few teams in the new era of the game.

Good Luck and welcome to the nation mr mike tomlin................And bring us our six pack championship!

BOXCAR JOEY
01-23-2007, 04:59 PM
With the steelers being a big market team and cowher brings the black and gold to multiple title games, thats alot of weight for tomlin to carry. The question is:

Part one:
Do you think Mike Tomlin can last 15 years for the Steelers?

Part Two:
Why?

I for one cant make a decision yet if its a yes or no. I havent researched Tomlin yet.

But lets hear what you have to say?

WWIIOwheelz
01-23-2007, 05:01 PM
I think he'd very much like to.

MACH1
01-23-2007, 05:39 PM
He could stay for as long as he likes if he fields competitive teams year in and year out.

stillers4me
01-23-2007, 05:47 PM
I found this article posted at a Vikings forum from a St. Paul newspaper......

Posted on Tue, Jan. 23, 2007

Feeling defenseless Vikings lost best coach in Tomlin

TOM POWERS

First the good news: I'm almost positive the Vikings can finish 6-10 again next season even without Mike Tomlin.

Now for the bad: There goes the in-house candidate to replace Brad Childress.

If the New Jersey land grabbers decide to replace Childress next season, perhaps in order to avoid a fan revolt, they'll have to go outside of the organization. There's no telling what Zygi Wilf will come up with next time. Maybe a box of rocks.

We've seen this before. Even as Dennis Green was slipping into a state of megalomania, the Vikings kept him on board while allowing coordinators Tony Dungy and Brian Billick to become head coaches elsewhere. That just shows that stupidity isn't the sole property of current ownership. Even if it sometimes seems that way.

Maybe they won't have to replace Childress. Perhaps everything will be different in '07. But I'm skeptical. The guy just never seems to learn. You can hit him in the head with a hammer three times and he'll get up and walk right back over to the hammer.

Now if trouble occurs early, the emergency parachute no longer is available. With Tomlin gone, there is absolutely no one on the current staff capable of taking over. Childress certainly won't have to look over his shoulder. With the departure of Tomlin, he has never been more secure in his job.

This has many Vikings fans on the verge of a collective seizure.

The chat rooms and message boards are filled with sentiments of doom and gloom. Apparently, no one can understand how the Vikings let Tomlin get away. Of course, the only way to keep him would have been to make him the head coach. The Internet mob seemed more than OK with that.

In all honesty, in a couple of hours on Monday I went from thinking Tomlin wasn't ready to become a head coach, to being convinced he's the right man for the Steelers job. The way he stepped into his new position, the things he said, were very convincing.

At first, I was shocked when the Steelers hired him to replace Bill Cowher. That's a veteran team one year removed from winning the Super Bowl. And Tomlin has remarkably little experience. In another year or two he projected to be a terrific head coach. But now?

It's one thing for Vikings fans to pine for him to take over. After all, the bar isn't raised very high here. It's different in Pittsburgh. All I could think of was that, during his interviews with Art Rooney II, Tomlin must have unleashed the greatest sales pitch since Brother Tim Brewster had Joel Maturi speaking in tongues.

Tomlin was introduced in Pittsburgh on Monday. Remember that he made a name for himself coaching the 4-3 defense. The Steelers have been playing a different defense, the 3-4, since 1983. Yet one of the first things Tomlin said was that he was retaining longtime defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, a popular and effective coach in Pittsburgh.

Then he announced that he would adjust his defense, whichever defense he decides to use, to fit the skills of his players. Imagine that! He won't try to jam square pegs into round holes. His quote was, "You've got to be flexible and do what your guys do well."

Ahhh, flexibility. There's a guy who can coach my team anytime. And suddenly it really does seem as if the Vikings lost a potential star.

Unlike a certain other coach entering his rookie season, Tomlin did not rush in and get rid of every assistant coach, trainer and secretary in sight. He did not make any blanket announcements about style of play. Instead, his eyes and ears are open to anything that might help him get the job done.

Tomlin will do all right in Pittsburgh. He'll make mistakes, but probably not over and over. In other words, you won't be able to hit this guy in the head with a hammer more than once before he learns to avoid the hammer.

Tom Powers can be reached at tpowers@pioneerpress.com.

steelergirlrocks
01-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Welcome Coach Tomlin! It's Tomlin Time!

polamalufan43
01-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Well, as of now I feel pretty confident with Tomlin, but we will have to wait for the season opener to see. Untill then, Welcome Coach Tomlin, GOOD LUCK!

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

P.S. I wonder how they can fit Tomlin into the fight song...

polamalufan43
01-23-2007, 06:06 PM
I think he might have the potenial to. Plus, with ownership like the Rooney's I expect him to be here for a long time.

~Polamlaufan43:tt02:

Livinginthe past
01-23-2007, 06:11 PM
I doubt it.

If he has a poor start (ie losing seasons and lack of playoff appearances) to his career as HC he will probably be fired.

If he succeeds and brings home a ring (or two) then the Rooneys wil probably refuse to pay him what he is worth and he'll head to a franchise that pays top dollar for its HC's.

15 years for any coach is hugely unlikely.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
01-23-2007, 07:05 PM
To early to tell and Tomlin hasn't even put his entire coaching staff together yet.

shevdog
01-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Give me 4 pre-season games and 4 regular season games to get a handle on his coaching style.

15 years? Even if Tomlin was a Cowher clone, I'd say no. I give him 5-10, though welcome 15 if he is an excellent coach. Its hard for me to make that kind of judgement on someone I have no prior knowledge of.

Best wishes to Tomlin on being another coaching legend!

LarryNJ
01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
It's too early to even guess but since you ask I'll say 11 years!

BTW: Pitsburgh hasn't been a big market team since they hired chuck Noll! :)

Preacher
01-23-2007, 09:36 PM
I say give Tomlin a few years. He needs that much time to know what kind of coaching staff he wants, be able to go get those coaches, make the changes that he thinks needs to be made, etc.

I am willing to give him a couple years with 8-8, 7-9, 9-7 teams in bringing his team about. However, once he has a couple three years under his belt, he needs to start putting up STRONG superbowl run teams.

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 09:55 PM
I doubt it.

If he has a poor start (ie losing seasons and lack of playoff appearances) to his career as HC he will probably be fired.

If he succeeds and brings home a ring (or two) then the Rooneys wil probably refuse to pay him what he is worth and he'll head to a franchise that pays top dollar for its HC's.

NM

I agree - in the future I cannot imagine any NFL HC starting out today is going to last 15 years with the same team - teams are not as patient to weather losing seasons and with the $$$ being so huge at some point the stress is not worth it to a great HC.

Given the burnout factor, Bill Walsh and Joe Gibbs both said when they quit that the shelf life for a successful NFL coach usually does not last past 10 years with the same team. If you look back, about the only multiple SB winner who did not get his wins in the first 10 years of his tenure was Tom Landry. After that teams were paying for past performance rather than currrent results.

As for the Rooneys not paying what someone is worth, I wish Cowher was staying. But if I am paying for Cowher's next gig, I better not be getting the 2006 model. There is something to be said for selling off stocks at a market top or at least not overpaying at the top and then losing your shirt.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-23-2007, 10:13 PM
i think a HUGE aspect of success that we tend to forget about is the front office personnel...kevin colbert has shown a keen eye for talent that fits what the steelers are trying to accomplish. even tomlin himself said that "coaching is probably overrated." but i would add to that statement that a good GM/team president is probably under-rated.

the steelers have something they haven't had since o'donnell left: a quarterback that can lead and play, one that can be believed in.

tomlin's success will be tied very closely to colbert's success.

Jeremy
01-23-2007, 10:17 PM
I doubt it.

NM

What a classless cheap shot from a Patriots fan. You have no room to talk about cheap after your owner played two cities against each other to get your current stadium. Glass houses and stones there you wanker.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2007, 09:25 AM
Bob Smizik: Lack of discipline may have been decisive
Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The process by which the Steelers selected Mike Tomlin as the successor to Bill Cowher left a lot of people surprised and a few people astonished.

The decision of the Rooney family to allow highly regarded media/fan favorite Ken Whisenhunt, Cowher's offensive coordinator, to slip from their grasp and take the Arizona job when no decision was forthcoming on the Steelers' position was the first surprise. The pronouncement this week that Tomlin was the choice over assistant head coach Russ Grimm, who had become the favorite, was more shocking.

So what are we to make of this disregard of the recent past, which includes a Super Bowl championship after the 2005 season, by Dan Rooney, the team's chairman, and Art Rooney II, the president?

It could mean nothing more than they were tremendously impressed with Tomlin, despite his skimpy resume. But it also could mean there were things about the recent past the Rooneys did not like and that they wanted to disconnect from it.

No disrespect to Cowher, an outstanding coach whose record speaks for itself, but not only did the Steelers slip from Super Bowl champion to out of the playoffs, but they also slipped more on the football behavioral scale. For a traditionalist like Dan Rooney, that is no small thing.

This isn't to suggest the Rooneys would have selected anyone over Grimm and Whisenhunt, only that when they saw a chance to start anew, with fresh leadership and discipline in the person of an outstanding young coach, it could have been enough to nudge Tomlin ahead of Grimm.

So why are they allowing Tomlin to keep at least two assistants from Cowher's staff? Less than a day on the job, Tomlin kept Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator and promoted Bruce Arians from wide receivers coach to offensive coordinator.

Because it all starts at the top. A new coach will not only invigorate the players, he'll invigorate the assistants.

Cowher maintained until the end he was not stale and he had not lost his focus. That might be true -- Cowher was one focused guy -- but with his longtime quest for a Super Bowl championship immediately behind him and the strong possibility of retirement immediately in front of him, a loss of focus -- and the breakdown in discipline that can come with it -- was not all that unexpected.

Much of the first half of the season was marked by a lack of focus that manifested itself in bad decisions and stupid penalties. The most prominent example of this came in late September when the Steelers were called for taunting and excessive celebration, two unacceptable penalties, in a loss against Cincinnati.

After the game, in what might be described as a low growl, Cowher said, "I will accept responsibility. That will not happen again. That's on me. It will not happen again."

It did. Four weeks later, with veteran team leader Hines Ward being the main instigator, the Steelers were penalized for excessive celebration after a touchdown that was such a clear violation it was almost as if the players were begging for a penalty and at the same time flaunting Cowher's rules.

For all his tough-guy bravado, Cowher was not hard on his players. His training camps too often resembled summer camps. Don't, for example, expect any afternoons at the movies under Tomlin.

Cowher's philosophy was to treat his players like men and expect them to behave in kind. In almost all cases, they did. One of the strengths of the Rooney/Cowher partnership was the almost total absence of problem players. That has a lot to do with what has become known as the Steelers' way and with Cowher and the kind of leadership he helped create within the team. When players such as Ward, Jerome Bettis and Alan Faneca, to name a few, are exemplary leadership examples, it's hard for other players not to follow.

But that order broke down this season, and it is possible the Rooneys felt the team needed to hear a different voice. Yes, Grimm would have been a different voice, but he was part of the old regime. Tomlin is new, and, although he said little about himself at his introduction Monday, it's clear this is a tough man, but one the players will love. He will place large expectations on them and accompany that with strong demands that they live up to those expectations.

In retrospect, that's what was missing last season, and the Rooneys wanted to make certain it would not happen again.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07024/756274-194.stm

Garlic Guy
01-24-2007, 09:39 AM
We have to give up the Cowher Power name. Websites, signs and car artwork will need to change... but to what. Any ideas for Tomlin?

Team Tomlin

No Mo Turnover Tomlin

.... hard one. Grimm or the Whiz would have been easier.

Atlanta Dan
01-24-2007, 09:43 AM
I do not agree with a lot of what Smizik writes, but I think he nails it this time.

This team was not ready to play in September and was still drawing idiotic penalties through the second half of the season (Smith playing drum major after an INT in the Carolina game; Colon's taunting penalty in the second Bengals game) that reflected a lack of discipline and embarassed Dan Rooney.

The players had a strong incentive for business as usual to continue with an internal hire but the Rooneys apparently concluded the Cowher coaching regime had run its course.

tony hipchest
01-24-2007, 09:44 AM
this article makes alot of sense. cowher, grimm, whiz, were not fired but they were pointed towards the door. the players so heavilly endorsed all 3 it was obvious there was a nice comfotr zone they existed in.

there was a definite lack of focus. not all because of cowhers lingering status, or the weekly questions of bens health, or the swolen egos of pulling off the greates run in SB history. mix that all together and we get an 8-8 season.

i remember after the 2001 special teams melt down in the afcc game cowher vowing there would be more starters playing special teams. where are they? removing keisel from special teams hurt this year. were our stars allowed not to because they simply dont want to. hopefully this changes and we get some more rookies into the game action so they are not taking 3-4 years to develop, while other rookies around the league are cracking the starting line-up in their 1st or 2nd year.

theres about nothing i like more than seeing brian urlacher on punt returns blazing down field and blasting a hole open for devin hester.

maybe tomlin can bring some of that here.

Infamix
01-24-2007, 03:35 PM
I hope he does Tony. I hope he does

welcome Coach Tomlin

tony hipchest
01-24-2007, 04:28 PM
i wonder if tomlin has asked mean joe green for his autograph yet? if he isnt fired, they should both be down in mobile alabama for the sr. bowl.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-24-2007, 11:10 PM
http://postgazette.com/pg/07025/756684-66.stm

Thursday, January 25, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MOBILE, Ala. -- Gray clouds and a light drizzle conspired to darken the sky over Ladd-Peebles Stadium, where National Football League coaches -- most employed, others out of work -- gathered for another day of shopping, networking and scouting college players.

With the temperature lurking in the 40s, coaches of high visibility were not readily recognizable, some wearing knit caps, others hunched behind turned-up collars. Then, there was Mike Tomlin.

Wearing an unbuttoned brown jacket with a gold V-neck sweater, the new Steelers coach looked the part of a man who had grown accustomed to the harsh winter of Minnesota, where he coached last season. He was not bothered by the unseasonable temperature, not at all.

Perhaps, it was all the body heat being generated from having his back slapped. Or his body embraced. Or his hand pumped.

"We could barely get into the stadium," said Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "Everyone wanted to talk to him."

It is all a new experience for Tomlin.

For the past six years, he came to the Senior Bowl practices to scout players. Now, though, he is here to scout potential coaches, conduct interviews, assemble a staff. And watch a few snaps.

Essentially, his phone has not stopped ringing since he arrived Tuesday afternoon. Coaches come over to say hello, offer congratulations. Others come over, presenting a verbal resume, letting him know they are interested in employment. He is a human flea market, attracting the curious and the jobless.

And he doesn't mind.

"I really appreciate that people are excited for the opportunity I have," Tomlin said. "But it's tough at the same time because you understand there are a lot of men who come to this event looking for work. It's part of our business. You can't begrudge them for trying to seek employment.

"Of course, you say a lot of times, you can't accommodate a lot of people. Shoot, I can't accommodate most people. You just have to come to grips with that. It's OK. I'm dealing with people in an upfront matter and shooting straight bullets in that regard. That's one of the tough parts of the business, but you got to accept the good with the bad."

He needs to hire a wide receivers coach to replace Bruce Arians, who was promoted to offensive coordinator; an offensive line coach to replace Russ Grimm, who joined the Arizona Cardinals; a running backs coach to replace Dick Hoak, who retired; and a special teams coach to replace Kevin Spencer, who also went to Arizona to join new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.

He may also need another secondary coach to replace Darren Perry, who was not retained. Otherwise, he has told all the other assistants from Bill Cowher's staff they will be retained, the first step in his new role as Steelers coach.

"The more quickly we can assemble a staff, the quicker we can get about the business of doing what we need to do," Tomlin said yesterday, sitting underneath the stands after practice. "But, at the same time, we can't have a timetable in terms of doing that. We have to be methodical at assembling a staff because that's important. It's the people.

"Bruce will lead the offense and Dick [LeBeau] will lead the defense. Quite a few of the guys are going to be retained because I believe they're good people and I know they're good coaches."

Asked if continuity was the reason, Tomlin said, "Continuity is a factor, but not the deciding factor."

He used Arians as an example.

"I've known Bruce through mutual friends for a long time. I respect what he does, how he approaches the game. I think we're kindred spirits in that he has a wide, varied background. He's been in a position of leadership. He's been a head coach at the college level. He's coached Peyton Manning. He's been an offensive coordinator. There are a lot of reasons why. First and foremost, he's a solid individual and has good football values."

That appears to be a recurring theme with Tomlin, a defining fiber that was crafted in one season with working under Tony Dungy in Tampa Bay. He has been called a teacher, great communicator and highly principled by Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli, who coached with him in Tampa Bay. His former college coach, Jimmye Lay****, said he has an innate ability to talk to coaches and/or players and get them to do what he wants to do.

It is a message Tomlin likes to deliver, whether to an assistant coach seeking employment at the Senior Bowl or to his young quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger.

Tomlin has not met Roethlisberger, but he talked with him by phone the other day.

"I told him, the big thing, in order for us to be uniquely successful, we have to have unique relationships," Tomlin said. "That's not something that's going to happen today or tomorrow. We cannot rush that process. We have to move forward. Along the way, understand we're going to get to know each other. If we let our veneer down and be unselfish, it can be special. That was my message to him.

"That's going to be my message to everyone I talk to."

Tomlin's determination is crystallized in his eyes, and his passion bears the look of a man much older than 34. What's more, he describes himself as a man who "has to be measured," a competitor who said he enjoys what "Sunday brings."

"There's a winner, there's a loser," Tomlin said. "You get measured against your peers. You compete, you move on."

And, yet, for all that, Tomlin said he is a coach who does not get too enamored with his job, even though he has one of just 32 in the country.

"It's what I do, it's not who I am," said Tomlin, a married father of three. "I hope I always keep that perspective. "This is something I constantly remind myself: Do I love this job? Absolutely. Am I passionate about this job, this business? Absolutely. But it's simply what I do."

Tomlin was planning to leave today to return to Minnesota, get his family and house organized, and return to Pittsburgh Sunday.

He is no longer an assistant coach. He is head coach of a franchise that has five Super Bowl trophies in the hallway of its office complex. When he returns to the South Side, he will start to evaluate players on his roster and he will need to get the team back to the Super Bowl.

SteelCzar76
01-24-2007, 11:24 PM
http://postgazette.com/pg/07025/756684-66.stm

Thursday, January 25, 2007

MOBILE, Ala. -- Gray clouds and a light drizzle conspired to darken the sky over Ladd-Peebles Stadium, where National Football League coaches -- most employed, others out of work -- gathered for another day of shopping, networking and scouting college players.

With the temperature lurking in the 40s, coaches of high visibility were not readily recognizable, some wearing knit caps, others hunched behind turned-up collars. Then, there was Mike Tomlin.

Wearing an unbuttoned brown jacket with a gold V-neck sweater, the new Steelers coach looked the part of a man who had grown accustomed to the harsh winter of Minnesota, where he coached last season. He was not bothered by the unseasonable temperature, not at all.

Perhaps, it was all the body heat being generated from having his back slapped. Or his body embraced. Or his hand pumped.

"We could barely get into the stadium," said Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "Everyone wanted to talk to him."

It is all a new experience for Tomlin.

For the past six years, he came to the Senior Bowl practices to scout players. Now, though, he is here to scout potential coaches, conduct interviews, assemble a staff. And watch a few snaps.

Essentially, his phone has not stopped ringing since he arrived Tuesday afternoon. Coaches come over to say hello, offer congratulations. Others come over, presenting a verbal resume, letting him know they are interested in employment. He is a human flea market, attracting the curious and the jobless.

And he doesn't mind.

"I really appreciate that people are excited for the opportunity I have," Tomlin said. "But it's tough at the same time because you understand there are a lot of men who come to this event looking for work. It's part of our business. You can't begrudge them for trying to seek employment.

"Of course, you say a lot of times, you can't accommodate a lot of people. Shoot, I can't accommodate most people. You just have to come to grips with that. It's OK. I'm dealing with people in an upfront matter and shooting straight bullets in that regard. That's one of the tough parts of the business, but you got to accept the good with the bad."

He needs to hire a wide receivers coach to replace Bruce Arians, who was promoted to offensive coordinator; an offensive line coach to replace Russ Grimm, who joined the Arizona Cardinals; a running backs coach to replace Dick Hoak, who retired; and a special teams coach to replace Kevin Spencer, who also went to Arizona to join new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt.

He may also need another secondary coach to replace Darren Perry, who was not retained. Otherwise, he has told all the other assistants from Bill Cowher's staff they will be retained, the first step in his new role as Steelers coach.

"The more quickly we can assemble a staff, the quicker we can get about the business of doing what we need to do," Tomlin said yesterday, sitting underneath the stands after practice. "But, at the same time, we can't have a timetable in terms of doing that. We have to be methodical at assembling a staff because that's important. It's the people.

"Bruce will lead the offense and Dick [LeBeau] will lead the defense. Quite a few of the guys are going to be retained because I believe they're good people and I know they're good coaches."

Asked if continuity was the reason, Tomlin said, "Continuity is a factor, but not the deciding factor."

He used Arians as an example.

"I've known Bruce through mutual friends for a long time. I respect what he does, how he approaches the game. I think we're kindred spirits in that he has a wide, varied background. He's been in a position of leadership. He's been a head coach at the college level. He's coached Peyton Manning. He's been an offensive coordinator. There are a lot of reasons why. First and foremost, he's a solid individual and has good football values."

That appears to be a recurring theme with Tomlin, a defining fiber that was crafted in one season with working under Tony Dungy in Tampa Bay. He has been called a teacher, great communicator and highly principled by Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli, who coached with him in Tampa Bay. His former college coach, Jimmye Lay****, said he has an innate ability to talk to coaches and/or players and get them to do what he wants to do.

It is a message Tomlin likes to deliver, whether to an assistant coach seeking employment at the Senior Bowl or to his young quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger.

Tomlin has not met Roethlisberger, but he talked with him by phone the other day.

"I told him, the big thing, in order for us to be uniquely successful, we have to have unique relationships," Tomlin said. "That's not something that's going to happen today or tomorrow. We cannot rush that process. We have to move forward. Along the way, understand we're going to get to know each other. If we let our veneer down and be unselfish, it can be special. That was my message to him.

"That's going to be my message to everyone I talk to."

Tomlin's determination is crystallized in his eyes, and his passion bears the look of a man much older than 34. What's more, he describes himself as a man who "has to be measured," a competitor who said he enjoys what "Sunday brings."

"There's a winner, there's a loser," Tomlin said. "You get measured against your peers. You compete, you move on."

And, yet, for all that, Tomlin said he is a coach who does not get too enamored with his job, even though he has one of just 32 in the country.

"It's what I do, it's not who I am," said Tomlin, a married father of three. "I hope I always keep that perspective. "This is something I constantly remind myself: Do I love this job? Absolutely. Am I passionate about this job, this business? Absolutely. But it's simply what I do."

Tomlin was planning to leave today to return to Minnesota, get his family and house organized, and return to Pittsburgh Sunday.

He is no longer an assistant coach. He is head coach of a franchise that has five Super Bowl trophies in the hallway of its office complex. When he returns to the South Side, he will start to evaluate players on his roster and he will need to get the team back to the Super Bowl.

Good article. It properly reflects the character and resolve that i believe is a mark of a natural born 'Leader of Men'.

stillers4me
01-25-2007, 05:38 AM
Anybody else as excited as I am?????????

Glad to read some new quotes!! Get ready for the ride, folks!! It's going to be an eventful off-season (and hopefully productive one)........is it September yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buzz05
01-25-2007, 07:45 AM
If we let our veneer down and be unselfish, it can be special. That was my message to him.

The more I read about this guy the more I like him...I think if he gets Ben to buy into him as not only a coach but as a person then i think everything will be just fine.

Im ready for the ride...it should be fun at the least.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Nice to know he got his start in coaching at the Virginia Military Institute instead of the University of Miami Correctional Facility.

Sounds like there is a new sheriff in town...:helmet:

http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/all-tomlinjan25,0,7900169.story?coll=all-sportsmorefootball-hed

stlrtruck
01-25-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the post.

I hope this type of mentality works its way to the players and other coaches before the draft even starts.

Also, if I'm correct, with a new coach, the team now gets a few extra weeks of mini-camps. That will give Tomlin more time to energize the players to buy into his system of coaching!

Stlrs4Life
01-25-2007, 08:36 PM
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...l/16522277.htm

Feeling defenseless Vikings lost best coach in Tomlin

TOM POWERS

First the good news: I'm almost positive the Vikings can finish 6-10 again next season even without Mike Tomlin.

Now for the bad: There goes the in-house candidate to replace Brad Childress.

If the New Jersey land grabbers decide to replace Childress next season, perhaps in order to avoid a fan revolt, they'll have to go outside of the organization. There's no telling what Zygi Wilf will come up with next time. Maybe a box of rocks..

This has many Vikings fans on the verge of a collective seizure.

The chat rooms and message boards are filled with sentiments of doom and gloom. Apparently, no one can understand how the Vikings let Tomlin get away. Of course, the only way to keep him would have been to make him the head coach. The Internet mob seemed more than OK with that.

In all honesty, in a couple of hours on Monday I went from thinking Tomlin wasn't ready to become a head coach, to being convinced he's the right man for the Steelers job. The way he stepped into his new position, the things he said, were very convincing.

At first, I was shocked when the Steelers hired him to replace Bill Cowher. That's a veteran team one year removed from winning the Super Bowl. And Tomlin has remarkably little experience. In another year or two he projected to be a terrific head coach. But now?

It's one thing for Vikings fans to pine for him to take over. After all, the bar isn't raised very high here. It's different in Pittsburgh. All I could think of was that, during his interviews with Art Rooney II, Tomlin must have unleashed the greatest sales pitch since Brother Tim Brewster had Joel Maturi speaking in tongues.

Tomlin was introduced in Pittsburgh on Monday. Remember that he made a name for himself coaching the 4-3 defense. The Steelers have been playing a different defense, the 3-4, since 1983. Yet one of the first things Tomlin said was that he was retaining longtime defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau, a popular and effective coach in Pittsburgh.

Then he announced that he would adjust his defense, whichever defense he decides to use, to fit the skills of his players. Imagine that! He won't try to jam square pegs into round holes. His quote was, "You've got to be flexible and do what your guys do well."
Ahhh, flexibility. There's a guy who can coach my team anytime. And suddenly it really does seem as if the Vikings lost a potential star.

Unlike a certain other coach entering his rookie season, Tomlin did not rush in and get rid of every assistant coach, trainer and secretary in sight. He did not make any blanket announcements about style of play. Instead, his eyes and ears are open to anything that might help him get the job done.

Tomlin will do all right in Pittsburgh. He'll make mistakes, but probably not over and over. In other words, you won't be able to hit this guy in the head with a hammer more than once before he learns to avoid the hammer.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-25-2007, 11:43 PM
http://postgazette.com/pg/07026/756994-66.st

LeBeau says he, Tomlin share same philosophy

Friday, January 26, 2007

MOBILE, Ala. -- This is getting a little ridiculous for Dick LeBeau.

It is one thing to work for a head coach who was in high school when LeBeau was finishing his sterling National Football League playing career.

Dick LeBeau is Very impressed with new head coach Mike Tomlin
But when the new head coach is half your age?

When he was born the same year you retired as a player in 1972?

"Life takes some funny turns," LeBeau said, wearing a bemused look.

LeBeau, who will return as the Steelers' defensive coordinator, was 20 years older than his former boss, Bill Cowher. He was still playing at Ohio State when Cowher was born in 1957.

But LeBeau, 69, is a little more than twice the age of the Steelers' new coach, Mike Tomlin, who is 34. He likely has ripped more defensive schemes from a playbook than Tomlin has devised in six previous seasons of coaching in the NFL.

None of that, though, appears to bother LeBeau, a former NFL head coach himself.

"I'm very impressed with him," LeBeau said. "He seemed like a very intelligent man who knows what he wants to do. I was impressed with his poise and his confidence."

One of Tomlin's first priorities as the Steelers' coach was to retain LeBeau, who will be 70 in September, to run the defense, an indication he is not ready to abandon the 3-4 defense the Steelers have played since Cowher became coach in 1992.

When he decided to retain all but one of the defensive assistant coaches -- only secondary coach Darren Perry will not be brought back -- Tomlin sent another strong signal that he is not ready to switch to the type of defense he learned under Tony Dungy at Tampa Bay and employed last year as defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings.

Tomlin is a disciple of Dungy's cover-2 defense, also known as the Tampa-2, a scheme that lacks the amount of fire-zone blitzes and single coverages favored by LeBeau. But when asked if he is married to that approach, Tomlin said, "I'm married to being a fundamentalist.

"I had to make adjustments to what I envisioned my package being when I went to Minnesota to fit the personnel. That's just part of coaching. I'm married to an approach to the game. It's more about how you do what you do, as opposed to specifically what you do. Yes, it has to be sound. But it's the quality of the detail, the belief in the men who not only install it but the guys who do it."

Even Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli, who was the defensive line coach in Tampa Bay when Tomlin was the secondary coach, said his former co-worker would have no problem using a 3-4 defense with the Steelers.

"He's a teacher," Marinelli said. "It's not what you're doing -- it's how you're doing it."

All that is encouraging news to LeBeau, the father of the fire-zone blitz.

"They've been drafting here for 15 years for the 3-4 defense, so, obviously, we're put together to play the 3-4," LeBeau said during a break in practice sessions at the Senior Bowl. "I don't see us, philosophically, at odds at all.

"I have a great deal of confidence in this group. I feel we can be very productive. I think our players like our scheme. I can tell you this -- we'll be an attack defense, no matter what our front is."

LeBeau is the oldest of the assistant coaches who have been retained or will be hired by Tomlin. And he is part of a graybeard staff that also includes offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who is 55, and new quarterback coach Ken Anderson, who is 57. Tomlin also is considering the hiring of Buffalo Bills assistant offensive line coach Larry Zierlein, who will be 62 in July, to replace Russ Grimm. Throw in defensive line coach John Mitchell, 55, and Tomlin, who will enter only his seventh season as an NFL coach, is surrounding himself with a wealth of coaching experience.

"It hasn't been any conscious effort to select men in that regard," Tomlin said. "More than anything, it's been about good people who happen to be good coaches. And, not that we all think the same, but guys who have the base core football values that I have -- that as coaches we need to be teachers. Success is built on fundamentals, muscle memory and execution."

LeBeau has been a part of the defense for eight seasons. He joined Cowher's original staff as secondary coach in 1992 and became the defensive coordinator in 1995. LeBeau left in 1998 to join the Cincinnati Bengals as defensive coordinator, then returned to the Steelers in 2004 when Tim Lewis was fired. Only Mitchell (1994 to present) has had a longer stint as a defensive assistant coach with the team.

Tomlin became aware of LeBeau when he was a secondary coach at the University of Cincinnati (1999-2001) at the same time LeBeau was the Bengals' head coach.

"Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick. I'm sure he doesn't remember, but, when I was coaching at University of Cincinnati, he was across town at the Bengals, and I'd run into a bunch of those guys and studied a bunch of their tape. They were good to us."

Now they can watch tape together.

DACEB
01-26-2007, 06:21 AM
It makes me feel a whole lot better to actually hear from LeBeau. I was starting to worry he wasn't completely on board. I think this is the start of something special on defense, not like we don't have a great D already!

HometownGal
01-26-2007, 06:29 AM
Sorry, 83 - this article has already been posted in the Welcome to Coach Tomlin thread by I-Want-Troy's-Hair at 12:43 AM this morning.

It is refreshing to hear that Lebeau and Tomlin are on the same page with regard to the D we already have in place. Coach Tomlin will benefit greatly from Lebeau's vast experience as a DC and I think they are going to make on helluva team! I'm really looking forward to the start of camp - hurry up and get here, will ya? :tt02:

83-Steelers-43
01-26-2007, 06:40 AM
Note: This article is dated October 29, 2006. Interesting read (IMO) nonetheless.....

Men on fire
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

Rookie defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin has hooked his players with a chaotic style mixed with extensive preparation, and together they have transformed a mediocre unit into one of the NFL's best.

At least twice a month, when he struggles to sleep, Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin heads to the garage. There, much to wife Kiya's chagrin, lies a stack of almost two dozen boxes loaded with planners, binders and folders.

An admitted "archivist" with a photographic memory, Tomlin will know just where to look for just the right item.

"I'll just open a box and pull out a Franklin Planner and read notes that I was taking in staff meetings 10 years ago," he says. "It takes me back to that moment: How I felt. The issues. The adversity that we faced.

"Sometimes you'll be faced with a similar situation, and you look at the notes and you can relate to some of the things that you did then."

That remarkable recall also serves him well in his current capacity, as coordinator of a resurgent Vikings defense that hasn't finished in the top 10 since 1994. Immediately after a game, he can rattle off a list of what did and didn't work, when and why.

"He breaks down the film even before he sees the film," Vikings defensive tackle Pat Williams says. "He tells everyone what they're doing wrong. He'll say, 'This is a problem,' and 'That is a problem,' and when you watch film, it's right there."

Tomlin makes them see what he sees, and he gets them to follow. He has built their trust with his knowledge, standards, poise and work ethic, and he has inspired them to play with the same emotion he possesses. He will tell his players to play fast and aggressive, to "play like your hair is on fire," while he will be animated on the sideline, celebrating the high points but never losing control.

"He's probably motivated this team and the guys around me more than any coach that I've been around," safety Darren Sharper says. "You can just tell by the results and the product of how we're playing now, as compared to how we played in the past, and it's a direct reflection of Mike Tomlin."

ONE STEP AHEAD

Growing up in Hampton, Va., Tomlin wasn't overwhelmed with scholarship offers. But he knew he wanted to go to a college known for academics, so he ended up at William & Mary.

"I've always been somewhat nerdy. That's just me," Tomlin says. "I liked the jock lifestyle. But I had other interests, whether it was Model U.N. or Odyssey of the Mind or the World Geography Olympiad team."

Sharper, Tomlin's teammate at William & Mary, says Tomlin uses "big words that I don't even know."

"Like joist," Sharper says. "You know what joist means?"

But players don't care that a joist is a support beam for floors and ceilings. They care that Tomlin can help them.

So Tomlin and his staff work into the wee hours of Monday and Tuesday mornings, preparing for the next opponent by scrutinizing film and searching for trends. The more his players know what to expect from an offense, the easier they can react.

"The more tendencies you have," safety Dwight Smith says, "the better and faster you play."

Sharper says the game plans put together by Tomlin and his staff are adept at anticipating what the opponent might do, even plays that an opponent has not run in quite some time. And during games, cornerback Antoine Winfield says, Tomlin makes excellent adjustments, a skill Winfield questioned of last year's coaching staff.

Tomlin also thinks quickly on his feet, cornerback Fred Smoot says.

"I could ask questions last year, and they'd have to go and talk about it; you ask (Tomlin) a question, and he'll answer it like that," Smoot says, snapping his fingers. "He's always one step ahead. And if you're always one step ahead of your players, your players will see that, and they respect that because they know you're working as hard in the office as they are on the field."

THE SYSTEM

Their cover is blown: Teams are realizing the Vikings aren't using the Tampa 2 too much.

Sure, it's their base defense, but the Vikings mix in plenty of other schemes: Cover 1 (man-to-man coverage), a three-deep zone and zone blitzes. Really, the Vikings mostly use the Cover 2 in long third-down situations or when they're protecting a lead, like last Sunday in Seattle.

Besides, Tomlin likes to call the Vikings' defense by another name.

"People say Tampa 2, but I choose to say Dungy 2. From the godfather himself," Tomlin says, referring to former Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Tony Dungy, who now leads the Indianapolis Colts. "We are a Dungy 2 team. But there are some variations. We do what we need to do, week to week, to win. And if that means stepping outside the box some, then we'll step outside the box some."

The tweaks play to the Vikings' strengths. The Cover 1 allows Smoot to maximize his coverage skills, and the zone blitzes take advantage of the linebackers' pass-rushing skills.

Whatever the name, the Vikings believe in Tomlin's defense, a departure from last season.

"Last year," defensive tackle Kevin Williams says, "I don't think everybody believed in what they were being taught and the things that we were told."

As Winfield says, "There was too much stuff going on."

Last season was marred by bickering among coaches and players, frequent benchings, changes in game plans and an inability to adjust on the fly. And now? Consider what happened after quarterback Matt Hasselback and receiver Darrell Jackson combined on a 72-yard touchdown pass on Seattle's third offensive play last Sunday:

"The last couple of years, guys would be like 'Dang, here we go again,' and then there would be a downward spiral," Winfield says. "But there's a totally new mind-set. It's a breath of fresh air. We're just so confident in the scheme."

Pat Williams says Tomlin encouraged his players on the sidelines after Jackson's touchdown.

"Last year, there probably would have been some fussing, and it would have been out of control," Williams says. "But he stayed calm, and we bounced back, and we just smashed them in the mouth."

Winfield says Tomlin also permits players to offer their insights in the game.

"Most coaches, they're so stuck, and you have to do it this way," Winfield says. "But we'll come off (the field), and he'll listen to us. He trusts us."

Adds Smoot, "There are 32 teams, and everyone's got athletes. But everyone doesn't have the same type of coaching. That's what it's about. That's the difference in this game, and that's what we were lacking last year."

THE FUTURE

Tomlin set the standard high in the exhibition and isn't wavering. The Vikings' defense is ranked No. 7 in the NFL — up from No. 21 last season and No. 28 in 2004 during Ted Cottrell's two seasons as coordinator — but the goal is no less than No. 1.

"We want to be the very best," Tomlin says. "When you're competing at this level, to say anything less than that is shortening yourself. We feel we have the pieces in place, from a talent standpoint, and we got a great coaching staff."

Just 34 years old and the NFL's youngest defensive coordinator, Tomlin relates to the players well, joking with them on the sidelines and in the classrooms. And given his obvious talents, players are quietly wondering how long Tomlin will be here, despite his three-year contract.

But Smith, who played for Tomlin in Tampa, doesn't see his coordinator going anywhere without one thing: a ring.

"I doubt he would leave that quickly, unless we win the Super Bowl this year," Smith says. "He's the type of guy who won't want to leave without leaving his mark where he was and putting his stamp on the Minnesota Vikings. He's a prideful guy, and that's what makes him so good.

"I could see him stay here to finish what he started."

Tomlin abides by the mantra he shares with his players: Focus on the immediate future.

"I'm not going to deny that I hear that elevator music," Tomlin says of speculation about his head coaching possibilities. "But it doesn't affect what I do on a day-to-day basis. It doesn't change my outlook. I am having fun with these guys, and I'm getting better.

"We just want to make coach (Brad) Childress proud. He's given all of us an opportunity here, and he's given us a plan, and we're becoming the team that we want to be. I stay focused on the here and now."

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/15870034.htm

tony hipchest
01-26-2007, 08:51 AM
this is a very informative article, 83-steelers. great find. nice to know our coach is more nerd than jock. impressive is his photographic memory and his archiving skills, and being able to walk off the field and automatically know what is working and what is not. this will definitely help with on the fly adjustments.

can you imagine polamalu playing like his hair is on fire? watch out!

SteelerFanInCA
01-26-2007, 04:11 PM
He seems like a pretty sharp guy and I think he will do alright. Glad to see more positive stories on him.

Hopefully it will not take him too long to get acclimated with being a head coach.

stillers4me
01-26-2007, 06:41 PM
can you imagine polamalu playing like his hair is on fire? watch out!

I was thinking exactly the same thing....I mean....I think he already plays that way!!!

Thanks for finding that article 83-Steelers........Iget more and more excited about this guy every day!! We gonna be killer! :tt02:

Preacher
01-26-2007, 07:50 PM
This feels just like buying a new car.

Everything is so shiny and pretty. The engine just purrs, the freeway is calling.

In the back of the head though is always that one thought... Is this the car that was put together by the hungover line worker Monday morning?

I am SO excited... but actions and words are two different things.

COme onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn Tomlin... do what you say!! We want another 5 rings!!

rhino
01-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Welcome Coach Tomlin! I look forward to many, many years of playoffs and Super Bowl titles during your tenure!

83-Steelers-43
01-27-2007, 08:30 AM
Hopefully a good number of fans read this article before the season starts....

Ron Cook: Tomlin must learn to cope with fans' great expectations
Saturday, January 27, 2007

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin called it a blessing the other day.

His big break in the NFL.

Not just any head-coaching job, even if there are just 32 in the best professional sports league in America.

The Steelers' job.

"I know this is not my plan," Tomlin said. "This is God's plan, so I find comfort in that."

Of course it's a blessing.

Tomlin is working for the best owners in football, maybe the best in all of sports. Jerry Jones micromanages his coaches in Dallas, yet, curiously, can't find the nerve to deal with T.O. Al Davis is omnipresent and overbearing at Oakland Raiders headquarters; the team's record suffers because of it. But the Rooneys don't meddle. They are patient and supportive. They always have their coach's back, even in the worst of times. It's no accident Bill Cowher lasted 15 years with the Steelers and was highly successful, just as it was no coincidence Chuck Noll had a 23-year run here with four Super Bowls.

Tomlin has inherited a pretty good team. He didn't get his first head coaching job the way most guys do, stepping into a hopeless situation after a 2-14 or 4-12 season. Cowher left plenty behind, resigning in his prime at 49 after what was believed to be a salary dispute. The Steelers won the Super Bowl last season and still insist they -- not the Indianapolis Colts -- would be getting ready for Super Bowl XLI if not for those 37 turnovers this season.

Tomlin has a franchise quarterback. He could be starting his career with Andrew Walter, you know? Good luck to Lane Kiffin in Oakland with that.

Every new coach should be as fortunate as Tomlin to have so much so soon.

There is another side to the Steelers' job, though. There are the Steelers fans.

No offense.

We tend to be tough on our coaches and quarterbacks. Ask Cowher, who had to endure vicious Internet gossip when the Steelers failed to make the playoffs in the '98, '99 and '00 seasons. Ask Kordell. Ask Ben Roethlisberger if he throws 23 interceptions again.

Our expectations tend to be high, often bordering on the absurd. That will be especially true with the team next season. Everyone will like the personable Tomlin until he loses his first game. Heaven forbid, the Steelers start 1-3. If that happens, Cowher will be considered a lot smarter than he was while he was here.

Tomlin has a tough act to follow, much as Cowher did following Noll. It sounds as if he's going to take the same approach.

Said Cowher of his first season in '92: "I was coming to a team that knew how to work, knew how to prepare, knew how to win. I thought it was a good thing. ... It's important when you step into that chair you have to do it your way. You have to be yourself."

Said Tomlin this week: "It's obvious that what's been done here has been special. I want to be a part of that legacy, history ... At the same time, I have to be myself."

It's easy to think Cowher's background growing up in Crafton was a factor in his success. He understood the Pittsburgh mentality, the "scrutiny," as he often called it, that goes with the job.

Tomlin has to learn it on the fly.

It's unlike anything he experienced in his previous NFL stops in Minneapolis-St. Paul and Tampa-St. Petersburg.

How was it put to him the other day?

Are you prepared to be the lead story on the 5 o'clock news if you're in a fender bender at Giant Eagle?

"You know that comes with the territory. That's OK," Tomlin said, having a hard time holding back a grin.

It was the right response.

So was Tomlin's answer to a question about the heavy expectations that have followed the Steelers since their Super teams of the '70s:

"We all feel a little pressure in this business, but that is part of the reason that we do what we do. We embrace that."

And to an inquiry about city-wide trepidation about his age (34) and relative inexperience (five seasons as a defensive backs coach, one season as a defensive coordinator) in the NFL:

"I can't worry about the concerns that other people might have. I've been hired to do a job here, and I intend to do it at a very high level."

Sounds as if Tomlin's head is in the right place.

It's the rest of us who might need an attitude adjustment.

We need to give the guy a chance.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07027/757283-87.stm

83-Steelers-43
01-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Glad you both enjoyed the earlier article (Tony and Stillers4me). :smile:

yinzer-inseattle
01-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Sounds as if Tomlin's head is in the right place.

It's the rest of us who might need an attitude adjustment.

We need to give the guy a chance.

I read this article this morning and could not help but think this is a mea culpa cry from Ron Cook. He's got some stones. I'm sure he's felt heat from that train wreck of an article "Were others 'ruled' out by Rooney?" (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07023/756022-87.stm), and now he's flip-flopping.

If you believe hiring Tomlin is a mistake then stick to it. Be a man and don't buckle when your email inbox fills up with "hey idiot" messages.

Big D
01-27-2007, 05:34 PM
PITTSBURGH -- Franco Harris remembers the day it would have been a big deal that the Pittsburgh Steelers hired a black coach.

When Harris reported to the Steelers as a rookie running back from Penn State in 1972, black assistant coaches were uncommon in the NFL. Starting quarterbacks and middle linebackers were almost exclusively white. And there wouldn't be a black head coach for another 17 seasons.

This week, the only negative rumblings Harris detected in Pittsburgh about new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is whether, at 34 and with only one season as a coordinator, he is somewhat inexperienced for the job.

"There's not much talk about it," Harris said Friday of Tomlin being the Steelers' first black coach. "That's what so great about sports: It opens many doors, it's broken down many barriers and gives people new perspective on how they see things. Again, sports has taken a lead in this."

Harris, one of six former black Steelers players in the Hall of Fame, stayed in Pittsburgh after his football career ended to start several successful businesses. He said he admires the way his adopted city has been a forerunner in advancing the cause of minorities in sports.

Two years after Harris joined the team, the Steelers became one of the first teams to start a black QB in Joe Gilliam. They later made Tony Dungy, one of Harris' former teammates, the NFL's first black coordinator.

The Pirates also fielded the majors' first all-minority lineup and Duquesne University produced Chuck Cooper, the first black player drafted by the NBA in Chuck Cooper. Yet Pittsburgh has one of the smallest minority populations of any major U.S. metropolitan area, with blacks making up only about 9 percent of the area's residents.

Harris said he also is proud that his former boss, Steelers owner Dan Rooney, pushed the NFL to adopt in 2002 a rule requiring teams to interview minority candidates for job openings. Harris' parents were of black and Italian descent.

"It was a great thing when they incorporated the Rooney rule -- to me, the most important step ever in this situation," Harris said. "It's about giving opportunity. And when you give opportunity, you really get to see the talent of people and get to meet them personally and build relationships.

"And when you meet with new people, you realize, `Wow, OK, this person is a great person.' When you see that, color and race really shouldn't enter into it," he said.

"It helped opened the door for me that may not have been opened had it not been for the rule," Tomlin said.

When the next NFL season starts in September, there will be attention focused again on the fact that Tomlin is black, Harris said. After that, he believes it will be all about winning and losing, not race, creed or color.

"In the start, it will be given a lot of play and a lot of attention," Harris said. "When things get going, you find that it's, hey, you have to perform, you have to do the job, can you pull things together? I'm just so happy he has the opportunity to do it, and that's what I'm really happy about."

On Friday, Harris paid tribute to Steelers receiver Hines Ward for his community service work by announcing that his picture will be on the boxes of the Super Donuts and Super Buns sold by Harris' RSuper Foods.

Harris' former coach, Joe Paterno of Penn State, is being similarly honor

Elvis
01-28-2007, 05:20 AM
:wave: :tt02: Welcome in Tomlin...
But just like I was when we hired Cowher I am just a little nervous. I hope and wish you well and I hope that you are here through many years and many tittles. God Bless Ya:wave:

83-Steelers-43
01-28-2007, 06:12 AM
Tomlin's capabilities evident from college years

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, January 28, 2007

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. -- The new Steelers coach graduated from one of the oldest and best colleges in America, and he also found time to play some pretty fair wide receiver.

Mike Tomlin (Class of 1995) owns William & Mary's all-time records for yards per catch in a season (25.5) and career (20.1) and also holds the career mark for touchdown receptions (20).

"I remember games where we started off with Mike on post routes or deep routes and it was 6-0 right off the bat," said Zbig Kepa, who was William & Mary's offensive coordinator when Tomlin played there and remains in that capacity. "He got behind people."

In more ways than one. Tomlin also holds William & Mary's unofficial record for making friends and influencing teammates.

"He was well-respected even as one of the younger guys on the team," said college teammate and fellow receiver Terry Hammons, who attended Upper St. Clair High School. "He didn't have a lot to say to everybody; they just listened when he talked. He had that presence to go out and make things happen on the field."

Across the street from William & Mary's Zable Stadium, Peter Isipas, owner of Paul's Deli, a popular campus eating establishment, said Tomlin was one of his best customers -- and one of his best friends.

"From the first day he walked through that door, he was a guy you could talk to," said Isipas, who has pictures of famous athletes and coaches covering the walls of his restaurant, Tomlin's included. "He's the kind of person who can be a friend of yours, even if he's 20 years younger.

"You tell people in Pittsburgh they're going to love Mike. He's a people guy."

William & Mary is the second-oldest college in America, founded in 1693 by a Royal Charter issued by King William III and Queen Mary II of England. It's also the college that four U.S. presidents attended; the college where Phi Beta Kappa, the nation's premier honor society, was founded; and the college that's ranked sixth among all public universities, according to U.S. News and World Report. The college also is where one can find an outpouring of love for Tomlin, who replaced Bill Cowher last Monday.

All around William & Mary's campus in scenic Williamsburg, those who know Tomlin best are reveling in his rapid ascension, proud to claim him as one of their own, and standing in line to proclaim that it couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

"I've stayed in relatively good contact with Mike over the years, watched him develop. Every time I've talked to him he has maintained his enthusiasm for coaching," said coach Jimmye Lay****, who recently completed his 27th season at William & Mary. "How he'll be as the head coach at Pittsburgh, I think he'll do a great job. He'll be the type of coach that players will enjoy playing for and people who support the Steelers will enjoy getting to know and liking."

Tomlin, 34, isn't a revelation as much as he becomes just another William & Mary success story. He is the second William & Mary grad to secure an NFL coaching job. Dan Henning coached the Atlanta Falcons (1983-86) and San Diego Chargers (1989-91).

Marv Levy coached at William & Mary. So did Lou Holtz. Other William & Mary players currently coaching in the NFL include Sean McDermott, an assistant with the Philadelphia Eagles, and Allen Williams, an assistant with the Indianapolis Colts who also was an assistant with Tomlin at Tampa Bay.

William & Mary defensive back Mark Kelso played for Levy in Buffalo. Another William & Mary defensive standout, Darren Sharper, is a safety with the Minnesota Vikings.

Tomlin coached Sharper, his former teammate at William & Mary, in his only season as Minnesota's defensive coordinator.

"When Mike got the job with Minnesota, he had to coach Darren Sharper," Kepa said. "I had in my archives individual one-on-one route tapes. Mike was on there running routes against Sharper. They used to call him out all the time: 'Sharper, get to the front of the line. I'm up next.' So on the tape there's actually a couple of shots of Mike going one-on-one against Sharper. So I sent it to him. Said this is a little bit of credibility when you coach those guys."

From the time he left Denbigh High School in nearby Newport News, Va., to attend William & Mary, there seemed to be little that Tomlin could not do.

A skinny wide receiver with a hyperactive work ethic and a nearly 40-inch vertical leap, Tomlin quickly proved himself on the field and became an effective team leader in the process.

"He was a strider, tall, kind of gangly," Kepa said. "He worked at it. He had to develop. It wasn't like he came in as the guy. His learning curve, he cut it down pretty quickly. It didn't take him long to get into the flow of the offense."

Said William & Mary director of speed, strength and conditioning John Sauer: "Mike came a long way. He worked his tail off in the weight room. He made himself into a good player. When he came here he was about 170 pounds. He was 190-195 pounds his last year. The harder he worked, the more confident he got on the field."

Tomlin played wide receiver, but he did so with the mind-set of a linebacker. He was a talker who backed up his words -- and didn't back down from a challenge.

Former William & Mary linebacker Jason Miller said he enjoyed practicing against Tomlin because he was one of the most intense players on the team.

"The thing I always respected about Mike is he used to put up a hell of a battle," said Miller, who grew up in Canonsburg. "I wasn't going to back down, and he wasn't going to back down. There were pushing matches after the whistle."

Tomlin's toughness, playmaking ability and natural leadership earned his teammates' respect. There was a special quality about Tomlin that separated him from the other players.

Even though he acted like one of the guys, he wasn't treated that way.

"He was our emotional leader," said Melvin Griffin, Tomlin's teammate at William & Mary who's now an assistant football coach at Tabb High School in Yorktown, Va. "Everybody was surprised he got the Pittsburgh job. I wasn't surprised. He's more of an NFL coach. Being a wide receiver, looking at coverages so much, he was knowledgeable about the game. He was always in the film room in college."

Credit Lay****, who ran a pro-style passing offense that challenged Tomlin physically as well as intellectually.

Lay**** demanded a lot from his players. He expected a lot more from Tomlin, one of his brightest pupils.

"We talk to our players. Our players are intelligent," Lay**** said. "We don't get them to memorize what we do, we get them to learn it inside and out so they can communicate and talk and give suggestions. We wanted to take advantage of the intelligence of the type of player we have here."

Or as Kepa so succinctly described: "You have to go to class here. You don't go to class, you have problems."

Tomlin was a student of the game -- on and off the field.

"Sometimes receivers don't like to watch a lot of tape. But Mike would study guys," Kepa said. "It's hard for receivers to be leaders, but he was a leader here. He knew how to interact with teammates and coaches. He'll come across at all levels. He could be with guys off the street, or with CEOs at a board meeting. He could play the role he had to play."

Tomlin is big on loyalty. He maintains relationships with his college coaches and friends from his old neighborhood in Newport News -- where a message board outside Denbigh High School offers congratulations for Tomlin getting the Steelers job -- never forgetting where he came from.

Still, when he graduated from William & Mary, Tomlin was unsure about his future. So he went to Kepa for advice.

"He came into my office one day and said, what am I going to do?" Kepa said. "I asked if he ever thought about coaching. We had a conversation. Get after it, work your way into it. It's not going to be handed to you. That's what he did."

Tomlin's first job was coaching the wide receivers at Virginia Military Institute. Several years later, Tomlin needed someone to talk to again. Only this time, he had just completed his first interview with the Steelers. He called Lay**** for advice and support, and it was just like old times.

Tomlin got the job.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_490637.html

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2007, 04:00 AM
Hiring Tomlin a step forward for Steelers, NFL

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Steelers got their man when they hired Mike Tomlin eight days ago to replace Bill Cowher. Not to mention the fact that the Steelers hiring a black man as their new coach -- and one who's only 34 years old -- raised more than a few eyebrows.

In doing the right thing and making a politically correct statement, the Steelers also want you to know they would have hired Tomlin if he were white, purple or green -- Rooney Rule or no Rooney Rule.

"I would not want people to say Mike got the job because of the Rooney Rule, and because he's African-American," Steelers president Art Rooney II said. "I think it's important to say that Mike got the job because he's going to be a great coach. We feel like this was somebody who was special."

Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis hired Lane Kiffin a few days after the Steelers hired Tomlin. Kiffin is 31, white, and has never coached a day in the NFL. Yet, the public response to Kiffin's hire was so -- how shall we say, unresponsive? -- that there was almost no reaction at all. Certainly, the reaction to Kiffin's hire hardly compared with that of Tomlin's with the Steelers, despite Tomlin coaching six years in the NFL, including one season as the Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator.

"To us, the biggest milestone will be when it's not a milestone when an African-American is named a head coach," Rooney II said.

Hear, hear.

Indeed, one of the reasons the NFL instituted the Rooney Rule in late 2002 is why Tomlin's hiring created headlines across the country while Kiffin's hiring was fodder for the transaction page in newspapers.

In an attempt to raise the consciousness of NFL owners and introduce more minority coaching candidates into the hiring process, former commissioner Paul Tagliabue formed a diversity committee chaired by Steelers chairman Dan Rooney -- hence, the Rooney Rule. The committee required that each team interview at least one minority candidate prior to selecting a head coach.

There are six minority coaches in the NFL, including five in the AFC and three in the AFC North. At least one minority coach has been hired each year the Rooney Rule has been in existence.

More significant, just under half of the seven minority coaches that were in the NFL in 2006 -- Art Shell and Dennis Green were fired after the season -- reached the postseason. Two coaches -- Tony Dungy of the Indianapolis Colts and Lovie Smith of the Chicago Bears -- led their teams to Super Bowl XLI in Miami, marking the first time in league history that a black coach reached the Super Bowl, much less two.

"(Hiring Tomlin) is a milestone. And it comes at a time when the league is hitting a milestone with two African-American coaches in the Super Bowl," said Rooney II, who counted two minority candidates among the Steelers three head coaching finalists.

"I don't know that people would (hire a minority coach) because the Steelers did it. People want to win. If they want to be copycats, people are probably looking at Chicago and Indianapolis, and if it can happen with them, it can happen for other teams."

As for suggestions that the Steelers hired Tomlin because the league became involved and "encouraged" the Steelers -- after all, it is called the Rooney Rule -- forget it, said Cyrus Mehri, who serves as counsel for the Fritz Pollard Alliance Group that works with minority coaches, front office and scouting personnel in the NFL.

"No one in the league needs to contact the Rooneys about how to conduct a hiring search," Mehri said. "If you didn't know the race of the three (Steelers finalists), you would pick Tomlin. He fits the profile of their past coaches (a young up-and-comer from an outside organization)."

One year after winning a Super Bowl, the Steelers hired Tomlin. In giving Tomlin the best head coaching job ever awarded to a minority coach, the Steelers didn't just give new meaning to the Rooney Rule. They provided new optimism for future minority head coaches awaiting their chance.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_490853.html

stillers4me
01-30-2007, 05:21 AM
I don't get the big deal about him being black.....I really don't. It's just more of the press creating a story about a non issue. The two coaches in the SuperBowl are black this year, yes for the first time (in case you haven't heard), but ok people, hiring a black man has obviously been done before, so no story needed here. A big deal because Pittsburgh did it?? Nope, doesn't work either. We don't hire a coach every other year............only every 15 or twenty years and society has evolved a bit since the last time we needed a coach.

Enough with Tomlin is black stories in the press..........he knows it, we know it. (Lord knows we'll hear enough about it over the weekend). I'd rather read more stories about his qualifications. Let's let the man get to work doing what he does best.......leading men. (OMG........I just noticed some of them are black, too!)

Welcome Coach Tomlin.........Here we go, Steelers!! Here's to the Revenge Tour 2007!! :cheers:

83-Steelers-43
01-30-2007, 05:24 AM
I'd rather read more stories about his qualifications.

You and me both. I was hoping it would have ended during his press conference. No luck. Now I'm hoping by the time TC starts up. *fingers crossed* :cheers:

stillers4me
01-30-2007, 05:39 AM
Do you noticed that they never mention that Tiger Woods is black anymore?? Yes, ........the best golfer the world has ever seen happens to be black.......gasp!!!