PDA

View Full Version : 4-3 Cover 2? We have no DE(s)........

Rush58
01-21-2007, 11:12 PM
If we are going to play the Tampa 2 defense, we need a dominant DE. The Colts and Bears both have solid ends. We currently have no DE(s) but ends that are really DT(s). FA doesn't seem to be the Rooney calling card, so who can we possibly get in the draft?

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-21-2007, 11:22 PM
yeah...i'll be curious to see how this shakes out. there's been a lot of guesswork reporting lately, so it's hard to believe anything we read in relation to assistant coaches.

the steelers need to get pressure on the football - they did a lousy job of that this season. maybe it's the ideal time to make this change (to a possible 4-3 defense) because the linebackers are getting a step slow.

i guess the obvious d-line choices would be hampton and hoke on the inside and keisel and smith on the outside...but those latter two are undersized, so i'm not sure what their future holds.

the more i mull this one over i'm just not sure what the rationale is...a LOT of money was spent on smith and keisel recently...i understand that they're (rooney's) looking for the new, hot coaching commodity. however, i don't understand why russ grimm was passed by. maybe they feel this team became a bit too complacent under cowher and want to take this franchise in a completely different direction? offensively i think they're fine, but defensively they have a whole lot of questions marks if they go to a 4-3.

OneForTheToe
01-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Well, Tomlin did say he is not a "scheme guy." So maybe we play hybrid for a few years. I actually think Kiesel would be pretty good in a 4-3.

Preacher
01-22-2007, 12:02 AM
Well, Tomlin did say he is not a "scheme guy." So maybe we play hybrid for a few years. I actually think Kiesel would be pretty good in a 4-3.

I think that is a smart post. I really want us to be able to play both 3-4 and 4-3. Fact is, if one of our DE can play in the 4-3, we can move the other to tackle. Then we only have to pick up one. What I really like about the Tamp two is the ability of our Safety's to ball hawk.

Who knows though?

OneForTheToe
01-22-2007, 12:24 AM
Thanks Preacher, I do think we will run a great deal of 3-4. But, when we are playing the 4-3, I think it will either be Hoke and Casey at the DT's, with Kiesel and Smith at ends, or Casey and Smith at DT's and Kiesel and someone new or one of the LB's at the other end. I like Kiesel’s athleticism in either defense.

I also think Troy will excel at either defense. Casey may have one of the biggest adjustments.

Petesburgh66
01-22-2007, 01:10 AM
The Steelers are not in a position to rebuild for 4-3 D. They have the players now in a 3-4 D to win next season. I am pretty sure with LeBeau still there, the Steelers will keep the 3-4 D. When LeBeau is gone, then all bets might be off. I still prefer a 3-4 D in the end.

Hines0wnz
01-22-2007, 02:04 AM
Um.....at least let Mr Timlin sign his contract before the D type speculation begins.

X-Terminator
01-22-2007, 05:46 AM
I don't understand why everyone is assuming that Tomlin is going to overhaul the defense. OK, so he ran the Tampa 2 in Minnesota, but they were and have been running a 4-3 defense for years, making it easier to install that type of defensive scheme. Personally, I don't see him changing very much at all, especially if he keeps Dick LeBeau as DC, which I predict he will do. Besides, right now I think we would benefit from running the 4-3 at times since we don't have the depth at OLB that we used to. Keisel, Hampton, Hoke and Smith would be a pretty good DL in a 4-3, IMO.

DACEB
01-22-2007, 06:12 AM
Kiesel and Smith would flourish in the 4-3, but I agree and hope we still play the 3-4. I would love to see us mix it up though. It would be great to be able to do both well, and incorporate the cover 2 as well. I would love to see the schemes Tomlin and Lebeau could come up with. Hampton and Hoke would make a great tackle tandem as well.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 07:20 AM
P-G says LeBeau is not likely to be staying.

The personnel do not fit a 4-3 and, as another poster said, the Steelers have sunk a lot of $$ into linemen suited for the 3-4. But it is not as if the D was dominant this year -how much of that was off years by players as opposed to poor coaching is unknown to me - I do recall that after one loss (Denver?) Townsend publicly griped about the D having become predictable - maybe the Rooneys agreed..

This team is headed for a major shake up - get ready for some bumpy years ahead.

Mosca
01-22-2007, 08:21 AM
This team is headed for a major shake up - get ready for some bumpy years ahead.

You can say that again. It will be interesting to watch.

Tom

Big D
01-22-2007, 08:35 AM
I'm really not to worried about these changes. For one Lebeau is 70 years old. I think he would have retired within the next two years. So why not start making some of those changes. I dont think that tomlin will switch right to the tampa 2 this year. I think you will see it occasionally through out the year.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 09:01 AM
I don't understand why everyone is assuming that Tomlin is going to overhaul the defense. OK, so he ran the Tampa 2 in Minnesota, but they were and have been running a 4-3 defense for years, making it easier to install that type of defensive scheme. Personally, I don't see him changing very much at all, especially if he keeps Dick LeBeau as DC, which I predict he will do. Besides, right now I think we would benefit from running the 4-3 at times since we don't have the depth at OLB that we used to. Keisel, Hampton, Hoke and Smith would be a pretty good DL in a 4-3, IMO.

I agree. I'm taking the wait and see attitude - the man hasn't even been formally announced as the HC yet. If Lebeau retires or moves on to another team, I'm going to keep the faith that Tomlin and whoever he chooses as a DC (hopefully Darren Pery in that instance) will install a D that works best with the current defensive roster and whoever they can land in the draft to fill in the holes. I also think Keisel, Smith, Hoke and Hampton would do well adjusting to the 4-3, but let's wait and see what Tomlin has in store.

Steeldude
01-22-2007, 09:08 AM
If we are going to play the Tampa 2 defense, we need a dominant DE. The Colts and Bears both have solid ends. We currently have no DE(s) but ends that are really DT(s). FA doesn't seem to be the Rooney calling card, so who can we possibly get in the draft?

keisel and smith led the team in QB pressures last year in a 3-4. still need to address the poor and aging LBing corps.

Tim
01-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I'm not so sure why LeBeau would leave. I mean, Tomlin is coming in to be Head Coach, not defensive coordinator. Just because that was his last position doesn't mean he's going to come in and change everything.

As for DE. I think we'd want to draft for that position, but we should also find someone in free agency.

BigBen2WardPITT
01-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Lets get real here guys, Dick is gonna be gone. Grimm is gonna be gone. Ariens will become OC. Sure, the offense will be fine, (i guess), but the D is a big issue, as brought up. Tomlin said:

"I think regardless of who they hire to be head coach they expect him to lead, and part of leading is being prepared to do things that you feel strongly about," Mr. Tomlin said after his second interview with the Steelers Tuesday at the team's training facility on the South Side. "I'm no different than anyone else in that regard."

This makes me think he will run the 4-3, and will get rid of LeBeau.

and more....

"While all Steelers assistant coaches are under contract, many of them likely will not be retained by Mr. Tomlin. Wide receivers coach Bruce Arians could be the one exception. He could become offensive coordinator under Mr. Tomlin."

"Dick LeBeau, in his second tenure as the Steelers' defensive coordinator, is unlikely to remain in that capacity under a head coach who believes in the 4-3 defense."

Ok to the person that said that Rooneys are trying to take the team in a new direction, does that sound like the Steelers at all? They kept freakin Kordell Stewart at QB for way too many years. They hardly sign any FA's, they just draft. I guess that all could change now but are the Rooneys really changing their formula for a hot new coach, even though the Rooneys formula has been one of the best? Sure it was under a different coach but there is no reason that cant transfer over to Tomlin. I'm not saying they wouldnttake the team in a new direction, but it just seems so unsteelers like. And by the way, if you think i am one of those people that doesnt want to see change, no thats not me, i'm just not sure a COMPLETE renovation is necessary.

I really hope Tomlin can run a 3-4 and 4-3 Defense, but as explained above, i think he is going to want to run his 4-3 defense.

On a side note, I like the idea of Arians for some reason, i just have a good feeling about it, i dont know if he runs or passes a lot or what, but i like the idea of having him at OC.

One things for sure, it's gonna be interesting.

Mosca
01-22-2007, 09:36 AM
I'm also thinking that having a new OFFICIAL leader means more than ever that we have to sign and keep happy the in-the-trenches leader Joey Porter. Porter might not be as good as he used to be, but his contribution to the team is more than what he does on the field. He was as much a part of the '05 team's emotional run to the championship as Bettis was. We need a guy who is dedicated to the coach and to the team both, like Porter is.

Tom

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 09:41 AM
I remember when Cowher took over (at least from what brain cells I didn't drown in alcohol in the years that followed) that people were thinking all these changes were going to take place.

I think we saw with Cowher, and could possibly see with Tomlin, that not much could change and we will be successful!

SCSTILLER
01-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I know that this thread is about DE's, but my biggest worry about the 4-3 Cover 2 defense is how they use Troy. Troy is best when he gets to roam the field and make plays. In a Cover 2 they will want him to sit back a little bit, and that is not a good fit for Troy. I hope they keep him wandering around the field and making plays! But, I beleive Indy plays a Cover 2 and I do see Bob Sanders around the line alot, so maybe it will all work out.

SteelerFanInCA
01-22-2007, 09:56 AM
We have to just sit back and see how it unfolds. You gotta trust the Rooneys on this one. I think their track record speaks for itself.

Mosca
01-22-2007, 10:07 AM
I know that this thread is about DE's, but my biggest worry about the 4-3 Cover 2 defense is how they use Troy. Troy is best when he gets to roam the field and make plays. In a Cover 2 they will want him to sit back a little bit, and that is not a good fit for Troy. I hope they keep him wandering around the field and making plays! But, I beleive Indy plays a Cover 2 and I do see Bob Sanders around the line alot, so maybe it will all work out.

A couple weeks ago I saw Urlacher make a play covering a wide receiver downfield....

Now, I don't see anyone switching Troy to LB, but I do see him being used to the max of his ability wherever he might be on the field at the time.

The switch to Tampa-2 might be a better move than we think. In order for LeBeau's 3-4 zone blitz to work effectively you need corners and safeties who can go man-man with any receivers in the league or else you risk giving up the big play a lot; that was a weakness in each of the last two years, but especially last year. I'd like to see a few more 3-and-outs than I saw last year; last year it seemed like everyone got a 14 yard gain on 3rd and 6.

What I always found interesting was that back in the late 70s and early 80s, everyone was going to a 3-4 and the Steelers used a 4-3. Then in the mid-80s, the league started going 4-3, and the Steelers switched to the 3-4. My thinking is that if LeBeau stayed we would stay with the 3-4, but now that he is going we'll go 4-3.

Tom

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 10:32 AM

My worry is not only how Troy will be used but for how long Troy will be used.

I have no clue if Troy is close to LeBeau and/or Cowher, but Cowher is gone and LeBeau certainly will not be here for long even if he comes back for 2007.

In addition to $$, if Troy is uncertain how his role will change in a new defense not best suited to his skill set that will further complicate negotiations to get him signed prior to the start of the 2007 regular season. If he is not signed by then, IMHO Troy is gone (to a reunion with Cowher?) after next season.

Infamix
01-22-2007, 10:57 AM
As long as we have Big Casey Hampton in the middle and athletic lbs, our 3-4 scheme will be successful. But with our aging linebackers, the pass rush is declining.

steel58
01-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I'm not so sure why LeBeau would leave. I mean, Tomlin is coming in to be Head Coach, not defensive coordinator. Just because that was his last position doesn't mean he's going to come in and change everything.

As for DE. I think we'd want to draft for that position, but we should also find someone in free agency.

Are there any current Vikings defensive stars that are free agents that would be willing to come here to stay with their coach and possibly take a little less money?

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 11:25 AM
Are there any current Vikings defensive stars that are free agents that would be willing to come here to stay with their coach and possibly take a little less money?

I believe Tomlin was DC for 1 year - I doubt any Viking FA has enough loyalty (assuming there would ever be that loyalty to any coach) to take less money to play for Tomlin in Pittsburgh.

Plus I think the Steelers are pretty much capped out for 2007 unless someone like Porter is cut loose - 2008 is where the FA signings may ocvcur if the Steelers do not get a lot of thier own FAs signed up after 2007.

ajs8207
01-22-2007, 11:27 AM

Not really...here is the list.

http://vikings.scout.com/2/607694.html

MACH1
01-22-2007, 11:42 AM
My worry is not only how Troy will be used but for how long Troy will be used.

I have no clue if Troy is close to LeBeau and/or Cowher, but Cowher is gone and LeBeau certainly will not be here for long even if he comes back for 2007.

In addition to $$, if Troy is uncertain how his role will change in a new defense not best suited to his skill set that will further complicate negotiations to get him signed prior to the start of the 2007 regular season. If he is not signed by then, IMHO Troy is gone (to a reunion with Cowher?) after next season.

Letting Troy go would be one of the stupidest maneuvers ever!!!!! He has butt load of talent and I'm sure he'll fit in just fine with whatever D we end up with.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Letting Troy go would be one of the stupidest maneuvers ever!!!!! He has butt load of talent and I'm sure he'll fit in just fine with whatever D we end up with.

No question Troy has talent but let's just say a number of his ties to the team (coaches and defensive scheme) are not going to be around in the future. It is not a question so much of the Steelers wanting Troy (although he had an off year and the concussions are a concern for a long term investment) but Troy wanting the Steelers.

With all the changes (definite and anticipated) nobody can claim if Troy would leave it would solely be about money.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-22-2007, 03:08 PM
As long as we have Big Casey Hampton in the middle and athletic lbs, our 3-4 scheme will be successful. But with our aging linebackers, the pass rush is declining.

That's why my worthless 2 cents thinks the rush to the 4-3 is not on. Was not the defensive line overall the brightest part of the season?

The one factor missing from this thread is Kevin Colbert. Other than the owners he is now the 'constant' in this organization. His success in drafting linebackers is proven...especially in the latter rounds. I thought our cornerback play was most dismal on the defensive side of the ball.

ATL Dan could have a point about a major change but history repels that concept unless ART II is wielding more control from big brother. And it sure doesn't seem like it.

I hope the focus this offseason is overweighted on the offensive side of the ball. Because it won't matter whether it is the 4-3 or 3-4 defense when our offense turns the ball over 3 to 4 times per game.

Stlrs4Life
01-22-2007, 03:44 PM
I was at work today, did he say he was changing to the 4-3? Or are you guys assuming? A good sign that he isn't changing to the 4-3 is he retained Dick LeBeau!

Stlrs4Life
01-22-2007, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan;209431]P-G says LeBeau is not likely to be staying.

QUOTE]

Sure glad I don't believe everything that I read in the P-G, or media for that matter.

Big D
01-22-2007, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=Atlanta Dan;209431]P-G says LeBeau is not likely to be staying.

QUOTE]

Sure glad I don't believe everything that I read in the P-G, or media for that matter.

pg also said that Russ grimm was getting the job

Steeldude
01-22-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm also thinking that having a new OFFICIAL leader means more than ever that we have to sign and keep happy the in-the-trenches leader Joey Porter. Porter might not be as good as he used to be, but his contribution to the team is more than what he does on the field. He was as much a part of the '05 team's emotional run to the championship as Bettis was. We need a guy who is dedicated to the coach and to the team both, like Porter is.

Tom

porter is not a leader. never has been and never will be. he is more of an embarrassment than a leader. walking around during pre-game warmups babbling nonsense is not leading. if he wants to lead then he should do it by example. i personally would totally ignore porter because he is all talk. he is inconsistent, overrated and overpaid. the team hasn't had a leader on defense for many years now.

where did you get "in-the-trenches leader joey porter"? porter is rarely in the trenches. looks to me that over the past couple of years that porter has forgotten how to tackle properly. when was the last time you saw porter stuff a RB? :smile:

IMO, porter is dedicated to his mouth. :smile:

stillers4me
01-22-2007, 06:22 PM
You know, one of the things I read over and over on the Vikings forums was how intelligent and smart this Tomlin guy is. It sounds like he's smart enough to realize that if something's not broke, you don't fix it. Now adding a few new tricks to the equaision is another matter all together......and the Rooney's are smart enough to know who their man was for that. :wink02:

Hines0wnz
01-22-2007, 06:27 PM
Kiesel and Smith would flourish in the 4-3, but I agree and hope we still play the 3-4. I would love to see us mix it up though. It would be great to be able to do both well, and incorporate the cover 2 as well. I would love to see the schemes Tomlin and Lebeau could come up with. Hampton and Hoke would make a great tackle tandem as well.

Smith maybe, but Kiesel, I dont think so. He can be a ST stud or a part-time fill in at DE but not a starter. Look at the other dominant DEs in the league, I'm sorry but Kiesel couldnt even be in the same city as they are in comparison.

4n2t0
01-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Both aren't built to be DE's in the 4-3, they would have to lose weight and gain speed. Don't get me wrong, could they pass for a half decent DE? Maybe, but you're looking at someone more like Joey Porter, 6-3, 250. Teach him some technique and you have yourself a rush end.

Overall point: Too fat, too slow, I don't think either would be outstanding in a 4-3. Maybe on the left side.

PalmerSteel
01-22-2007, 06:54 PM
porter does an excellent job in the 4-3 on my madden 07 game. i put him in on the right side :P but seriously, i think this guy is definately smart enough to know which D to use based on our personnel. i am sure it was one of the top subjects with the rooneys in his interview if he got the job.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 06:56 PM
[QUOTE=Stlrs4Life;209789]

pg also said that Russ grimm was getting the job

No - that was the Trib-Review :smile:

4n2t0
01-22-2007, 06:58 PM
porter does an excellent job in the 4-3 on my madden 07 game. i put him in on the right side :P but seriously, i think this guy is definately smart enough to know which D to use based on our personnel. i am sure it was one of the top subjects with the rooneys in his interview if he got the job.

Definitely, but only for so long. I think this is more speculation as to who the Steelers could adapt with success.

I.C. Lights
01-22-2007, 07:07 PM
A couple weeks ago I saw Urlacher make a play covering a wide receiver downfield....

Now, I don't see anyone switching Troy to LB, but I do see him being used to the max of his ability wherever he might be on the field at the time.

The switch to Tampa-2 might be a better move than we think. In order for LeBeau's 3-4 zone blitz to work effectively you need corners and safeties who can go man-man with any receivers in the league or else you risk giving up the big play a lot; that was a weakness in each of the last two years, but especially last year. I'd like to see a few more 3-and-outs than I saw last year; last year it seemed like everyone got a 14 yard gain on 3rd and 6.

What I always found interesting was that back in the late 70s and early 80s, everyone was going to a 3-4 and the Steelers used a 4-3. Then in the mid-80s, the league started going 4-3, and the Steelers switched to the 3-4. My thinking is that if LeBeau stayed we would stay with the 3-4, but now that he is going we'll go 4-3.

Tom

This is an important post. Although the cover 2 may not allow troy to roam to the extent that he currently does, he should still excel under the scheme because he has the agilty to adjust up and down. I'm not sure that even the 3-4 was planned with his type "apache" position in mind...bottom line he'll be able to adjust to, if not revolutionize the cover2.

While we probably won't switch schemes wholesale, I like mosca's point about keeping the opponents off guard. The rest of the league managed to catch up a bit when the Pats blew the lid off our 3-4 in 2001. I agree that a switch back could give us a short term advantage.

Jacknut
01-22-2007, 09:44 PM
What ends are available in FA? Switching to the 4-3 will provide some cover for a linebacking corps desperately in need of new blood.

43FlyingHair
01-22-2007, 09:45 PM
Well, the interview/article posted on the Steeler website (http://news.steelers.com/article/73535/) has calmed my nerves a bit. It sounds like Tomlin is more interested in putting players in position to perform their best, not institute a formation that might not help us any.

"I think part of good coaching is doing what your guys do and what they do well," said Tomlin. "We will maximize what they are capable of doing. If that means putting personal preferences and beliefs schematically aside, I am willing to do that. X's and O's can be overrated at times. You will find that we will be fundamentalists in our approach and we will put guys in position to execute and execute at a high level. What they are capable of doing, that's what we will do."

steelersautomaton
01-23-2007, 03:49 AM
This is horrible. I am still in shock over this hire and how the people who orchestrated an offense that just a year ago won the Super Bowl (!) can be released. It's unnerved me. Do we all forget how long it took Cowher to get to the Super Bowl, his years on insisting on Kordell as our QB, even though every year he found some way to blow it. We now have to go all over that again. Ugh. I can?t believe they let Grimm go, why destroy a coaching staff that just won us the Super Bowl is unexplainable, As the earlier post stated, we don?t have the personnel for a 4-3, and the 3-4 gets it done, again we won the Super Bowl last year! Why has the PANIC button been pressed?

Of course I hope the Steelers win the Super Bowl next year hopefully and in the years to come. I just have this nagging feeling that?s it?s going to be a decade or so before we go to the big dance again.

X-Terminator
01-23-2007, 04:08 AM
This is horrible. I am still in shock over this hire and how the people who orchestrated an offense that just a year ago won the Super Bowl (!) can be released. It's unnerved me. Do we all forget how long it took Cowher to get to the Super Bowl, his years on insisting on Kordell as our QB, even though every year he found some way to blow it. We now have to go all over that again. Ugh. I can?t believe they let Grimm go, why destroy a coaching staff that just won us the Super Bowl is unexplainable, As the earlier post stated, we don?t have the personnel for a 4-3, and the 3-4 gets it done, again we won the Super Bowl last year! Why has the PANIC button been pressed?

Of course I hope the Steelers win the Super Bowl next year hopefully and in the years to come. I just have this nagging feeling that?s it?s going to be a decade or so before we go to the big dance again.

It took Cowher just 4 seasons to get to his first Super Bowl, and he went to the first of his AFCC's in his 2nd or 3rd season (someone can help me out there). That is not very long at all, and with the talent the team has right now, they have a very legitimate shot of getting back to the show in the next couple of seasons.

Dude, Cowher is gone. What did you expect the Steelers to do, sit around and wait to hire a head coach? This team isn't going to undergo very much change at all - Dick LeBeau is staying, Bruce Arians, who was WR coach will be the OC. My first choice was Whisenhunt, but obviously the brass didn't want to promote from within, so he went to Arizona. Grimm, yeah, his loss will hurt, but it can be argued that the OL regressed last season rather than progressed, and to be honest, it wasn't exactly the NFL's best during the first 12 games of the championship season. Besides, the Rooneys have had pretty good success hiring coaches outside the organization - both Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher came from other teams. The former is already in Canton, and the latter will be someday. So just relax and get behind Coach Tomlin - I think he is a good hire and will do a great job as HC.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-23-2007, 02:12 PM
It took Cowher just 4 seasons to get to his first Super Bowl, and he went to the first of his AFCC's in his 2nd or 3rd season (someone can help me out there). That is not very long at all, and with the talent the team has right now, they have a very legitimate shot of getting back to the show in the next couple of seasons.

Dude, Cowher is gone. What did you expect the Steelers to do, sit around and wait to hire a head coach? This team isn't going to undergo very much change at all - Dick LeBeau is staying, Bruce Arians, who was WR coach will be the OC. My first choice was Whisenhunt, but obviously the brass didn't want to promote from within, so he went to Arizona. Grimm, yeah, his loss will hurt, but it can be argued that the OL regressed last season rather than progressed, and to be honest, it wasn't exactly the NFL's best during the first 12 games of the championship season. Besides, the Rooneys have had pretty good success hiring coaches outside the organization - both Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher came from other teams. The former is already in Canton, and the latter will be someday. So just relax and get behind Coach Tomlin - I think he is a good hire and will do a great job as HC.

:thumbsup: Nuff said already.

But IMHO the loss of Grimm will ultimately be just a footnote in Steeler history.

nicesteel4life
01-23-2007, 03:27 PM

THAT was RIGHT ON! I actually got pumped from reading it!

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 04:22 PM
FWIW here is Ed.B.'s observation in today's chat on whether Troy is a good fit in a Cover 2scheme:

Ed, why are people saying that Polamalu would not be a good fit in a 4-3. He's fast, he can hit, and he's smart, that leaves only deep coverage as a potential weekness. Are his skills as a cover man in question?

Ed Bouchette: The cover 2, although misunderstood by many, generally uses two deep safeties to each cover half of the deep zone. The cornerbacks press a receiver, then "hand him off" to the safeties in the zone. I think you'll agree with me that Polamalu's virtues are not best suited to playing center field in a zone.

which is then followed by this:

With Troy P. coming into a contract year and the defense possibly switching philosophies do you think it makes sense to sign him to a big money contract?

Ed Bouchette: We don't know if they'll switch philosophies to the point where a great player like Troy Polamalu won't be used to what best suits his abilities.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07023/756136-66.stm

Ed spends a lot of the chat in CYA mode defending the P-G not going with Tomlin as the choice until Sunday.

As for Troy, I do not want to be a poster who claims the world is coming to an end (or, to use a LOL term to describe such posters, a "screaming howler panic monkey"), but for a player who was being spoken of as an all-time Steeler great a year ago this time it may not be a lock anymore that Troy definitely will hang around after 2007

43FlyingHair
01-24-2007, 12:39 PM
After reading Tomlin's comments about using players in ways that take maximum advantage of their potential, and knowing what a smart guy Polamalu is, I have little doubt that whatever changes Tomlin makes on defense, they will find a way to allow #43 to do his thing. Personally, I would really like to see Polamalu retire as a Steeler, and he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who is going to chase the money, so I would think that as long as the Steelers remain committed to letting him wreak havoc on the field, he won't be looking to leave town.