PDA

View Full Version : The Pittsburgh Trib should apologize

Borski
01-22-2007, 08:54 AM
The Trib published a bullshizer article about Grimm getting the head coaching job.

I think that was just a scam to sell more papers, they clearly had wrong information.

if you go to their website they act like it never happened, they took down their story and replaced it with the real one.

is their anyone besides me that thinks they should apologize for their actions?

83-Steelers-43
01-22-2007, 09:19 AM
When it comes to Steelers football, that's why I prefer the PPG over the Trib. Give me Bouchette and Cook over Prisuta and Brown anyday of the week.

Should they apologize? I think a small article in the future apologizing to it's readers would be a classy move even though I don't see it happening.

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Yes, I think any media outlet should apologize and give out free papers because their sensationalized story was made up only to sale more papers!!

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 09:25 AM
The Trib published a bullshizer article about Grimm getting the head coaching job.

I think that was just a scam to sell more papers, they clearly had wrong information.

if you go to their website they act like it never happened, they took down their story and replaced it with the real one.

is their anyone besides me that thinks they should apologize for their actions?

Yes, most definitely, but as 83 stated, I don't see it happening. Watching these sports hawks clamoring and stampeding each other to get the scoop was hilarious. :toofunny:

I tend not to put too much credibility into anything the local sports media crafts nowadays and just patiently wait until I hear the real deal from the front office - that way I know I'm getting the correct info.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-22-2007, 10:36 AM
we live in this over-hyped media age...so the goal of these outlets is to get the story first, but not necessarily correct.

i'm not certain that an apology is due, but i think an explanation is. i find it very difficult to believe that they "rescinded" an offer to grimm, as some are reporting as a possibility. i imagine that russ will be heading to arizona and could care less about this.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 10:38 AM
I understand the Truib-Review is hunkering down and now claiming on Pittsburgh sports talk that the Grimm offer was "withdrawn"

Reporters are supposed to report the news and not make it, but without burning a source the Trib needs to explain why it went with the story. Mortenson did not go with the Tomlin hire report until he independently sourced the Tomlin rumors. The Trib needs to explain why it printed a story that turned out to be incorrect (even assuming it was true when it ran initially).

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 10:42 AM
we live in this over-hyped media age...so the goal of these outlets is to get the story first, but not necessarily correct.

i'm not certain that an apology is due, but i think an explanation is. i find it very difficult to believe that they "rescinded" an offer to grimm, as some are reporting as a possibility. i imagine that russ will be heading to arizona and could care less about this.

I don't see Grimm going to Arizona and there do not seem to be a lot of openings at his coaching level right now (although Mora, Jr. has gone off to be the DB coach in Seattle so who knows?) Grimm may negotiate a buyout of the last year of his contract (or simply have Tomlin fire him) and join up with Cowher in 2008.

Steelers
01-22-2007, 11:22 AM
The Post Gazette is at least 10 times better. This only tarnishes the Trib's already lacking public perception.

Hammer67
01-22-2007, 05:24 PM
The Trib also has terrible pop ups on it's website...ECK! :banging:

Mike Prisuta will be eating crow for a while with this one.

Godfather
01-22-2007, 05:51 PM
I understand the Truib-Review is hunkering down and now claiming on Pittsburgh sports talk that the Grimm offer was "withdrawn"

Reporters are supposed to report the news and not make it, but without burning a source the Trib needs to explain why it went with the story. Mortenson did not go with the Tomlin hire report until he independently sourced the Tomlin rumors. The Trib needs to explain why it printed a story that turned out to be incorrect (even assuming it was true when it ran initially).

Who cares about the source if the source burned the Trib?

yinzer-inseattle
01-22-2007, 05:57 PM

Agree, the fact that they never reconciled their story to what actually happened speaks volumes to the level of integrity at that paper. I don't live in the Burgh anymore but if I did there is no way I'd rely on them for any information.

SteelersHoss
01-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Maybe they had a source that said a different coach was being hired. Either way, they should have ran a retraction.