PDA

View Full Version : Bill Parcells retires

Big D
01-22-2007, 11:01 AM
just heard on espn radio that bill parcells is stepping down as the cowgirls coach. You have to wonder how much of this is on t.o. very limited details. Story just broke
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/01/22/parcells.ap/index.html.
last week chris mortenson reported that wade phillips would be the front runner if parcells were to retire.

MACH1
01-22-2007, 11:04 AM
wow, I like Parcells, hate the cowboys. Wonder who Jones new puppet going to be

Livinginthe past
01-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Wow.

Its probably alot to do with Owens - a type of me or him scenario - Parcells didnt get the leverage with the management he needed by failing to get to the conference game.

Arizona would have snapped him up in a minute I would imagine.

There will be a job for him somewhere, even if he hast to wait a year.

Oh and was it retires or resigns?

NM

Big D
01-22-2007, 11:05 AM
just heard that Jerry Jones probably will contact the steelers about bill cowher.

Big D
01-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Wow.

Its probably alot to do with Owens - a type of me or him scenario - Parcells didnt get the leverage with the management he needed by failing to get to the conference game.

Arizona would have snapped him up in a minute I would imagine.

There will be a job for him somewhere, even if he hast to wait a year.

Oh and was it retires or resigns?

NM

"retired"

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 11:07 AM
I have grown to really respect and admire Parcells over the last couple of years - I'm sorry to see him go and wish him all the best! :cheers:

I dunno - his decision could have been hastened a bit by realizing that T.O. isn't going anywhere.

Big D
01-22-2007, 11:09 AM
I have grown to really respect and admire Parcells over the last couple of years - I'm sorry to see him go and wish him all the best! :cheers:

I dunno - his decision could have been hastened a bit by realizing that T.O. isn't going anywhere.

Only a real great owner like jerry jones would chose a puke like t.o. over a hall of fame head coach.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 11:10 AM
just heard that Jerry Jones probably will contact the steelers about bill cowher.

Uggghhhh - here we go with the rumor mill merry-go-round again.

No way Cowher ever coaches for Jerry Jones - that would be like mixing oil and water. Besides - Dallas is even farther away from his family and home than da Burgh was.

MACH1
01-22-2007, 11:11 AM

NOOOO say it aint so.

Big D
01-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Uggghhhh - here we go with the rumor mill merry-go-round again.

No way Cowher ever coaches for Jerry Jones - that would be like mixing oil and water. Besides - Dallas is even farther away from his family and home than da Burgh was.

I agree with you, And cowher wouldnt tolerate t.o.

MACH1
01-22-2007, 11:15 AM
LMAO bet jerry would trade T.O. for Cowher.:tomato:

Big D
01-22-2007, 11:16 AM

thanks, now i'll have nightmares tonight

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 11:19 AM
I certainly see Cowher coaching again in 2008, but even if Cowher's claim that he wanted to spend more time with his family was completely bogus, taking the Cowboys job now would result in a big hit to his image.

Furthermore, Cowher can max out his salary in 2008 by having multiple teams bid against each other for his services as opposed to what he can get in straight negotiations with just Jerry Jones. But I wish it would happen, since the steelers could use the draft picks that would be provided in compensation by Dallas.

Hope Tomlin has his staff picked out - a new hire in Dallas may want his own guys and San Diego will need to replace at least 3 assistants if Phillips goes to Dallas (although going to work for lame duck Marty for 1 year may not be real attractive).

As for Parcells, I think this is it for him and he is actually retiring for good.

TackleMeBen
01-22-2007, 11:42 AM
I hear that Russ Grimm might be looking for a new job..... someone give him jerry jones' number...lol

Big D
01-22-2007, 11:47 AM
I hear that Russ Grimm might be looking for a new job..... someone give him jerry jones' number...lol

I dont think a former redskin would take that job

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 12:12 PM
He became nothing more than a re-tread coach after he left New England. As much as he tried and tried and tried, he rarely got the job done anymore. Yes, some of his players let him down but ultimately who is responsible for the outcome!

Goodbye Parcells (and I pray it's the last time!)

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 12:19 PM
He became nothing more than a re-tread coach after he left New England. As much as he tried and tried and tried, he rarely got the job done anymore. Yes, some of his players let him down but ultimately who is responsible for the outcome!

Goodbye Parcells (and I pray it's the last time!)

F. Scott Fitzgerald - "There are no second acts in American lives."

Words for Parcells, Gibbs. Holmgren (and Cowher?) to ponder.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 12:27 PM
I assume Jerry Jones is ticked off about this - unless he wants Rivera or Colts assistant head coach/QB coach Jim Caldwell the interview process has picked over most of the top HC candidiates.

I have read Jones may want Wade Phillips but (unless Phillips was advised to stand down in case Parcells bailed) I do not recall teams pounding San Diego's door down to interview a jorneyman who will soon be 60 years old.

IMHO the plan was 1 more year with Parcells and then a big splash hire of Cowher or a high profile college HC like Pete Carroll as Jones gets ready for his new palace/stadium.

Big D
01-22-2007, 12:31 PM
I assume Jerry Jones is ticked off about this - unless he wants Rivera or Colts assistant head coach/QB coach Jim Caldwell the interview process has picked over most of the top HC candidiates.

I have read Jones may want Wade Phillips but (unless Phillips was advised to stand down in case Parcells bailed) I do not recall teams pounding San Diego's door down to interview a jorneyman who will soon be 60 years old.

IMHO the plan was 1 more year with Parcells and then a big splash hire of Cowher or a high profile college HC like Pete Carroll as Jones gets ready for his new palace/stadium.

I think the job is going to go to either Rivera or cowher.

MACH1
01-22-2007, 01:10 PM
what a slap in the face if Cowher goes.

Big D
01-22-2007, 01:11 PM

if we would get prime compensation for him it would be well worth the kick in the nuts.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 01:11 PM

As long as they pony up some serious draft picks and cash, I don't have a problem with it. Cowher didn't want to be here anymore anyway.

klick81
01-22-2007, 02:11 PM

NO WAY. The man has principles.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 03:19 PM

No kidding. I just don't think he could do it - not just because it would make him all about the $$$ but it would look like he uses his family ties as contract bargaining chips - I am disappointed he moved on but do not believe he is that much of a fraud.

But from a straight business standpoint I hope he does it and the Steelers get the compensation - it would be like Fredo meaning nothing to Michael after Fredo betrays the family.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-22-2007, 03:33 PM

:idea: Mr. Matchstick. Meet Mr. C4 Fuse.

Jeremy
01-22-2007, 04:53 PM
Jerry Jones is going to shoot the moon with this hire. We've already hear names like Les Miles of LSU, Mike Stoops of Oklahoma, and Houston Nutt of Arkansas. And don't be surprised if Pete Carroll's name enters the fray in the next 48 hours.

The most interesting thing is that Nick Saban is suppossed to be in Dallas right now talking to Jones. That could get ugly quick.

Big D
01-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Jerry Jones is going to shoot the moon with this hire. We've already hear names like Les Miles of LSU, Mike Stoops of Oklahoma, and Houston Nutt of Arkansas. And don't be surprised if Pete Carroll's name enters the fray in the next 48 hours.

The most interesting thing is that Nick Saban is suppossed to be in Dallas right now talking to Jones. That could get ugly quick.

i would expect to hear jeff fisher too

Jeremy
01-22-2007, 05:06 PM
You'll end up hearing a lot of names get tossed out there for this job. Jerry Jones has the money to get almost anyone he wants. Don't be surprised to hear Charlie Weis get mentioned as well. What it's going to come down to is who wants to follow Parcells into Dallas given the pressure to win that's going to be there with the new stadium on the way.

Big D
01-22-2007, 05:08 PM
You'll end up hearing a lot of names get tossed out there for this job. Jerry Jones has the money to get almost anyone he wants. Don't be surprised to hear Charlie Weis get mentioned as well. What it's going to come down to is who wants to follow Parcells into Dallas given the pressure to win that's going to be there with the new stadium on the way.

21 million dollar buyout makes it pretty hard for Jones to get weis. I think this cowboy job is about as great as the raider job anymore

Jeremy
01-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Jerry Jones has $21 million if he decides that Charlie Weis is his guy. Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if Jones wouldn't have to spend a cent of his own money to pay that buyout.

Godfather
01-22-2007, 06:03 PM

Actually, I think $aban and Jones are both in Atlanta today ($aban on a recruiting trip,not sure what Jones is doing there). I've also heard talk that $aban hasn't finalized his Bama contract.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 08:16 PM
John Clayton has his list up with this observation:

Bill Parcells left Jerry Jones in a bind, a tough bind.

His Monday retirement 16 days after the season leaves Jones in the tough position of finding a new head coach for the Dallas Cowboys past the conference championship games. While that certainly leaves them in position to consider a Super Bowl coach such as Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, it would leave Rivera in the position of trying to put together a playoff-caliber staff in February, a job that is virtually impossible to do.

As for Cowher, Clayton says:

Jones at least has to make the phone call. Wayne Huizenga of the Dolphins contacted Cowher's people and let him know of the Dolphins' interest. Cowher's intention is to sit out the 2007 season and maybe longer. No one expects him to change that position. For the Cowboys to be able to acquire Cowher, they would have to make a trade. The cost probably would be three high draft choices spread over two or three years. Cowher is so good, it could cost a first, a second and a third starting in 2007, but consider this option an incomplete pass.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2739210

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Bill Parcells left Jerry Jones in a bind, a tough bind.

He did the same with the Pats and the Jets. Nothing new there - not exactly a profound statement by Clayton.

tony hipchest
01-22-2007, 08:56 PM
He did the same with the Pats and the Jets. Nothing new there - not exactly a profound statement by Clayton.parcells is a quitter. good coach, but a quitter nonetheless. some people find it easy to root for *******s and quiters based only on what they won. good for them.

if i was jones, i wouldve done everything possible to get r. grimm, lebeau and d. perry. looks like steelers are gonna keep them now. dallas is stuck with 3-4 personel and had to let go their d. coord cause he didnt know how to coach the 3-4. lebeau could help turn r. williams into a star and help him realize his potential.

thats good though. i dont wanna see the cowboys succeed anyways. good luck with w. phillips.

3 to be 4
01-22-2007, 09:01 PM
just for a laugh, just for a fleeting, insane second, i thought of how great it would be for Parcells to come back to New England as Belichicks Defensive Coordinator.

I know. It would never,never,never, never, ever ,ever, ever happen

But boy would that be perfect.

tony hipchest
01-22-2007, 09:07 PM
just for a laugh, just for a fleeting, insane second, i thought of how great it would be for Parcells to come back to New England as Belichicks Defensive Coordinator.

But boy would that be perfect.lol. the pats can definitely use him

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 09:09 PM

But boy would that be perfect.

Any truth to the rumor that Parcells and Belichick aren't exactly "chummy" these days, despite their history together in NY?

3 to be 4
01-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Any truth to the rumor that Parcells and Belichick aren't exactly "chummy" these days, despite their history together in NY?

actually, there was a story that during this last offseason they conversed quite a bit and kind of patched things up. They are kind of like the Lennon and McCartney of the NFL.

only, a lot uglier. And nasty. And lousy husbands. but they can coach.

btw, how about the coaching staff the Giants had in 1990.
Bill Parcells
Bill Belichick
Ron Erhardt
Tom Coughlin
Romeo Crennel
Charlie Weis
Al Groh

im probably missing somebody too

tony hipchest
01-23-2007, 10:37 AM
i heard some classic t.o. quotes on the situation:

"sometimes change is good"

"it seemed like it was time"

and that he hopes jerry jones can bring in a coach that can get them to the next level.

:dang: way to tell it like it is, t.o.

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 11:27 AM
i heard some classic t.o. quotes on the situation:

"sometimes change is good"

"it seemed like it was time"

and that he hopes jerry jones can bring in a coach that can get them to the next level.

:dang: way to tell it like it is, t.o.

I think anyone who has coached T.O. would agree that it always seems like it is time for the coach and T.O. to not be on the same team

SteelerFan091472
01-23-2007, 07:32 PM
btw, how about the coaching staff the Giants had in 1990.
Bill Parcells
Bill Belichick
Ron Erhardt
Tom Coughlin
Romeo Crennel
Charlie Weis
Al Groh

im probably missing somebody too

Ray Handley?