PDA

View Full Version : Brady couldnt hold Montanas jock

Big D
01-22-2007, 12:29 PM
After watching this years post season I never want to hear Bradys name in the same sentence as joe montana. Montana wouldn't have thrown the crucial interceptions that brady threw the past two weeks. On a side note talk about karma comming back to bite the pattys in the butt. Caldwell who they signed to replace Branch had one dropped pass in the end zone and dropped one wide open pass.

tony hipchest
01-22-2007, 01:37 PM
brady wants to sniff montanas jock.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 02:20 PM
He obviously couldn't hold Bradshaw's jock either - Brad's got 4 in 6. :tt02: :tt02:

I.C. Lights
01-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Good Point HometownGal, now that analogy can be put to rest as well! Woo Hoo!

RoethlisBURGHer
01-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Brady is no Montana or Bradshaw.

LarryNJ
01-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Montana certianly is alone on the top in my mind. I know you all hate Brady but he's as good as Bradshaw was.

hardwork
01-22-2007, 07:59 PM
"Brady couldnt hold Montanas jock"

Big on jock holding are you, Big D?

tony hipchest
01-22-2007, 08:07 PM
brady's lifelong dream was to be a 49er and montana was his boyhood hero. before being drafted he was being interviewed by bill walsh. brady was so starstuck, he kept asking and talking about "joe montana". he was so much on his jock he blew it (the interview that is).

then again, i guess anything couldve happened behind closed doors in that meeting.

I.C. Lights
01-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Montana certianly is alone on the top in my mind. I know you all hate Brady but he's as good as Bradshaw was.

Brady is definitely a top quaterback, but he's no Bradshaw. Bradshaw didn't need official help to win the first sb, actually won a 4th superbowl, won his match-ups by more than 3 pts and, no offense to the Rams or Panthers or Eagles, but actually beat some legendary teams along the way. He also played at a time when QBs were less protected by the refs. I know those Steelers teams were excellent in all resepects, but that's no reason to downplay bradshaw's efforts.

I'll give you montana though.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 08:35 PM

In today's NFL, maybe. During their dynasty years, though, the NFL was actually a man's game, not a pussified version of flag football as it is turning into. QB's didn't cry back then when they were sacked or a defensive player accidentally brushed their shoe.

Until Brady matches Brad's 4 in 6, it's not a fair comparison, imho.

MACH1
01-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Brady wouldn't of made two years back then. He would of got killed. Bradshaw took some hellatious hits back then that would of snapped Brady in half. Plus crying about it like a little girl wasn't allowed.

LarryNJ
01-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Brady is definitely a top quaterback, but he's no Bradshaw. Bradshaw didn't need official help to win the first sb, actually won a 4th superbowl, won his match-ups by more than 3 pts and, no offense to the Rams or Panthers or Eagles, but actually beat some legendary teams along the way. He also played at a time when QBs were less protected by the refs. I know those Steelers teams were excellent in all resepects, but that's no reason to downplay bradshaw's efforts.

I'll give you montana though.

I'd never downplay Terry's efforts, he helped make my teenage years very fun. I think if I was a head coach and had to pick a QB for my team and Bradshaw & Brady were my choices I'd take Brady.

The game was different back than for sure. I watched Bradshaw through out his career. As many of us remember, or simply watch a Stallworth or Swann highlight film and you'll see many catches that simply should never of been caught. They had to be acrobats out there because Terry had trouble throwing the ball to where it could easily be caught. Bradshaw has 4 SB rings but Brady still has a while to play.

As for comparing the teams...no comparision. The Steelers of the 70's would own the Pats like they did the Oilers. Belicheck would still be trying to figure out a way to kick down the door!

Since I just realized I'm in the BF where I seldom hangout I mind as well say, F*** the Pats! They suck A** :toofunny:

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 08:48 PM
Brady is definitely a top quaterback, but he's no Bradshaw. Bradshaw....no offense to the Rams or Panthers or Eagles, actually beat some legendary teams along the way.

Yep, the Landry/Staubach Cowboys were a hell of alot better teams than Brady's faced. That's not intended to be a diss against Brady, because, to be fair, you can only play the teams that are put in front of you.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Belicheck would still be trying to figure out a way to kick down the door!

He'd have to kick the door down, Larry - that oversized melon of his wouldn't allow him to get through the door otherwise. :wink02:

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 09:05 PM
The game was different back than for sure. I watched Bradshaw through out his career. As many of us remember, or simply watch a Stallworth or Swann highlight film and you'll see many catches that simply should never of been caught. They had to be acrobats out there because Terry had trouble throwing the ball to where it could easily be caught.

I take it you missed/forgot the 2 long bombs he threw that hit Stallworth perfectly in stride in SB XIV? Or the bomb to Swann (again hit perfectly in stride) in SB X, right before he got crunched by Larry Cole and wound up going to the locker room with a concussion afterwards? Thought you might've. True, Bradshaw threw his share of floaters, but he also threw his share of bull's eyes as well.

meanjoecoop
01-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Brady wouldn't of made two years back then. He would of got killed. Bradshaw took some hellatious hits back then that would of snapped Brady in half. Plus crying about it like a little girl wasn't allowed.

I would love to see how Brady would have reacted to taking a hit from the likes of Lambert, Bleier, or Mean Joe. Back in their day...

LarryNJ
01-22-2007, 09:15 PM
I take it you missed/forgot the 2 long bombs he threw that hit Stallworth perfectly in stride in SB XIV? Or the bomb to Swann (again hit perfectly in stride) in SB X, right before he got crunched by Larry Cole and wound up going to the locker room with a concussion afterwards? Thought you might've.

LOL...No I remember them well, but I did forget about his Neil O'Donnel throw to JD Lewis in SBXII until I just seen it again on NFL network.

Going back to Montana, am I right in saying he never threw an INT in a super Bowl?

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Going back to Montana, am I right in saying he never threw an INT in a super Bowl?

You're absolutely right. However, I think the '70s Cowboys were also better than anybody Montana had to face as well.

LarryNJ
01-22-2007, 09:22 PM
You're absolutely right. However, I think the '70s Cowboys were also better than anybody Montana had to face as well.

Awww come on, didn't he have to play the Bungles?????:sofunny:

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Awww come on, didn't he have to play the Bungles?????:sofunny:

I forgot that - he did in fact have to play the Bungles during their "glory years." :rofl:

steelerbackr4life
01-22-2007, 09:41 PM

Funny how you mention this now. Im watching SBXIII Bradshaw got held up by one cowboy slammed by a second then the 3rd took the ball and ran it in for a td. That would have probably been called dead today. Brady most certainly would have been mouthing a protest.

Next series Brad throws a TD to Stallworth.

hardwork
01-22-2007, 09:51 PM
A little down are you? Need to go back 30 years to make yourselves feel better? Need to dream about what would happen if an unrestricted, steroid aided, 70's team played a cap era team? Do you also dream about what would happen if Custer's 7th Cav. had machineguns?

For some, fan is short for fantasy.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 09:52 PM
A little down are you? Need to go back 30 years to make yourselves feel better? Need to dream about what would happen if an unrestricted, steroid aided, 70's team played a cap era team? Do you also dream about what would happen if Custer's 7th Cav. had machineguns?

For some, fan is short for fantasy.

Which team has won a SB more recently? And I'm sure the entirety of the current Pats roster is "clean," too. I know one thing, we never pissed an 18-point lead away in a championship game.

hardwork
01-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Which team has won a SB more recently? And I'm sure the current Pats roster is "clean," too.

Which team? I would think a cap team has won a SB more recently then an unrestricted team. Lol, what do you think, we're going backwards in time?

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Which team? I would think a cap team has won a SB more recently then an unrestricted team. Lol, what do you think, we're going backwards in time?

You seem to be, because you ain't won jack lately either.

hardwork
01-22-2007, 10:01 PM
I know one thing, we never pissed an 18-point lead away in a championship game.

Yeah, you probably never got an 18-point lead.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 10:05 PM

Wrong - 18 point lead against the same team in the same building your team screwed the pooch against yesterday last year in the divisional round. 21-point lead (17-point victory) against the Broncos a week later at Mile High, where the Broncos hadn't lost that entire season until we kicked their ass. There are 31 other teams in the league besides your, you know.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 10:06 PM

Wrong - 18 point lead against the same team in the same building your team screwed the pooch against yesterday last year in the divisional round. 21-point lead (17-point victory) against the Broncos a week later at Mile High, where the Broncos hadn't lost that entire season until we kicked their ass. There are 31 other teams in the league besides yours, you know.

hardwork
01-22-2007, 10:06 PM
You seem to be, because you ain't won jack lately either.

No, just the SB's in 2002, 2004, and 2005.

And you? 2006. Wow, that's heavy dude.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 10:10 PM
No, just the SB's in 2002, 2004, and 2005.

And you? 2006. Wow, that's heavy dude.

Still more recent than yours, dude. Who's living in the past (no offense, LITP) now?

hardwork
01-22-2007, 10:10 PM
There are 31 other teams in the league besides yours, you know.

I think there are 30 pretenders, and 1 team better then ours. And the Steelers are one of the pretenders.

3 to be 4
01-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Montana is the best QB of all time, but to say "Montana would never throw an INT..." is kind of silly. He won 4 Super Bowls. That means there were plenty more seasons he didnt. In fact, the talk before the 1988 playoffs was how the 49ers,Walsh, and Montana had so much to prove because they hadnt won a playoff game since the 1984 SB win over Miami. The passing years tend to make the memory grow fonder.
Montana didnt win them all. Neither did Unitas, Starr, Elway, Staubach, or Bradshaw.
This was Brady's 2nd playoff loss out of 14.
that being said, my all time list is still
1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Elway
4. Staubach
5. Bradshaw
6. Graham
7. Starr
8. Favre
9. Brady
10. Aikman
11. Manning
12. Marino
13. Fouts
14. Tarkenton
15. Moon

steelerbackr4life
01-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Wrong - 18 point lead against the same team in the same building your team screwed the pooch against yesterday last year in the divisional round. 21-point lead (17-point victory) against the Broncos a week later at Mile High, where the Broncos hadn't lost that entire season until we kicked their ass. There are 31 other teams in the league besides yours, you know.

The ignore list is great I like others on SF have used it for the individual from Boston. His lack of intelligent posts on this board is not worth the pixels on my monitor.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I think there are 30 pretenders, and 1 team better then ours. And the Steelers are one of the pretenders.

Whatever. Enjoy your non-SB-winning offseason. The season was a failure for both of us.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 10:16 PM
that being said, my all time list is still
1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Elway
4. Staubach
5. Bradshaw
6. Graham
7. Starr
8. Favre
9. Brady
10. Aikman
11. Manning
12. Marino
13. Fouts
14. Tarkenton
15. Moon

I can't really disagree with this list - I would even have put Brady 3-4 notches higher. He's definitely above Favre at this point, at least, IMO.

hardwork
01-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Still more recent than yours, dude. Who's living in the past (no offense, LITP) now?

Yeah, by one year, and now you're right back in the toilet while we went to the AFCCG.

Well, at least you have a coach again. When you have some football players give us a call. We'll let you scrimmage us, maybe. If we do, bring Montana's jock, you'll need it.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, by one year, and now you're right back in the toilet while we went to the AFCCG.

Whoopee - we'll still be in the same place on SB Sunday. Don't mean a thing without the ring. You know it and I know it.

tony hipchest
01-22-2007, 11:44 PM
brady sniffs the seats of the exercise bikes in the training and fitness room at the pats complex. then he lies down for a nap and dreams about holding montanas jock.

what a workout regiment !

X-Terminator
01-23-2007, 12:51 AM
The ignore list is great I like others on SF have used it for the individual from Boston. His lack of intelligent posts on this board is not worth the pixels on my monitor.

Eh, I still read them just for the sheer entertainment value. I quit responding to the troll long ago - the guy's never made one intelligent post in the 7 months I've been on this board, and it simply isn't worth the keystrokes it takes to respond. So I have an "ignore list," of sorts...

sumo
01-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Getting back to the discussion on Bradshaw and how he compares with Brady and Montana - a huge fact nobody mentioned: All through his career, Bradshaw called his own plays - when the Steelers won their last 2 SBs - he was the only QB left in the league doubling as an offensive coordinator - most QBs if calling their own plays would have thrown a lot more (see Joe Namath), but Bradshaw was brilliant in scheming with the run and then going play action deep - something he did routinely in big games with huge success - also the comments made about his accuracy...complete BS - he threw high and outside to Swann routinely because Swann was a stud and could go up and get the ball - it was a safer throw..also - Bradshaw rarely slid...he had one of the strongest arms in the history of the league, played injured, etc - totally different era, but IMHO, overall, Terry was a better QB than Brady and shouldn't take a back seat to anybody including Montana, Unitas, Elway, Marino blah blah blah...

MACH1
01-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Getting back to the discussion on Bradshaw and how he compares with Brady and Montana - a huge fact nobody mentioned: All through his career, Bradshaw called his own plays - when the Steelers won their last 2 SBs - he was the only QB left in the league doubling as an offensive coordinator - most QBs if calling their own plays would have thrown a lot more (see Joe Namath), but Bradshaw was brilliant in scheming with the run and then going play action deep - something he did routinely in big games with huge success - also the comments made about his accuracy...complete BS - he threw high and outside to Swann routinely because Swann was a stud and could go up and get the ball - it was a safer throw..also - Bradshaw rarely slid...he had one of the strongest arms in the history of the league, played injured, etc - totally different era, but IMHO, overall, Terry was a better QB than Brady and shouldn't take a back seat to anybody including Montana, Unitas, Elway, Marino blah blah blah...

Good point about the play calling.

hardwork
01-23-2007, 01:58 AM
Bradshaw called his own plays

Bradshaw play: "You two go long."

Bradshaw, as they say, couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the c and the a.

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 02:01 AM

"They" in this case, was Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson (1970's version of T.O. who happened to play LB). The comment was made in the week leading up to SB XIII. And he was crying like a little bitch in the locker room after SB XIII after the "country bumpkin" burned his and the rest of his D's asses for 300+ yards and 4 TDs. Just another jagoff whose mouth wrote a check his body couldn't cash.

hardwork
01-23-2007, 02:04 AM
"They" in this case, was Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson

No sh*t.

MACH1
01-23-2007, 02:05 AM
Hey why dont you remind us what happened in the 85 SB?

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 02:06 AM
No sh*t.

Sorry, I figured you were another typical Pats fan that thought the NFL was just invented in f***ing 2001. Honest mistake.

augustashark
01-23-2007, 02:22 AM
Sorry, I figured you were another typical Pats fan that thought the NFL was just invented in f***ing 2001. Honest mistake.

He did'nt know, he just wanted to act like he did!:sofunny:

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 02:22 AM
Hey why dont you remind us what happened in the 85 SB?

Or the '96 SB, for that matter? :sofunny:

hardwork
01-23-2007, 02:24 AM

Next time don't "figure". Like with "you two go long" Bradshaw, thinking doesn't do much for you.

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 02:25 AM
Next time don't "figure". Like with "you two go long" Bradshaw, thinking doesn't do much for you.

Strike a nerve? GOOD!

hardwork
01-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Coach: Just throw it as far and as high as you can, Terry, those guys will run under it.

Bradshaw: Ah, duh, ok.

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 02:33 AM
Coach: Just throw it as far and as high as you can, Terry, those guys will run under it.

Bradshaw: Ah, duh, ok.

Never saw Bradshaw consult a wristband for the next play the coach scripted the offense to run....

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 02:40 AM
I pissed off the troll and made him run away - love it! :sofunny:

hardwork
01-23-2007, 03:01 AM
Never saw Bradshaw consult a wristband for the next play the coach scripted the offense to run....

Lol, imagine Bradshaw trying to interpret a bunch of symbols and numbers?

Bradshaw: Ah, X/2YLOBSTER, is that you two go long, or the big guy goes off tackle?

LarryNJ
01-23-2007, 03:02 AM
Getting back to the discussion on Bradshaw and how he compares with Brady and Montana - also the comments made about his accuracy...complete BS - he threw high and outside to Swann routinely because Swann was a stud and could go up and get the ball - it was a safer throw.. Terry was a better QB than Brady and shouldn't take a back seat to anybody including Montana, Unitas, Elway, Marino blah blah blah...

:sofunny: Dude I'm sorry but that's just nuts to say. Did you watch him play or are you basing that on watching highlights? Better yet look up his career completion percentage and tell me how accurate a passer he was. Without looking I'd have to guess it's closer to 50% than 60%. While you're at it look up his TD-INT ratio. Bradshaw was a great QB and may be #1 in my heart but there are several QB's that were as good or better than him. 4 super bowls or not, remember football is the ultimate TEAM sport.

As for people from Boston anyone who has spent any amount of time there will tell you. In general they are rude, stuck up, ignorant and generally just think they are above everyone. I wouldn't pay attention to anything they say, like several others have said simply ignore it. It won't go away but who really cares?

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 03:03 AM
Lol, imagine Bradshaw trying to interpret a bunch of symbols and numbers?

Bradshaw: Ah, X/2YLOBSTER, is that you two go long, or the big guy goes off tackle?

Wow - only took you just under 1/2 an hour to come up with that little gem. I'm impressed. :toofunny:

HometownGal
01-23-2007, 08:43 AM

Maybe not, but he sure was an expert in Roman numerology........

IX, X, XIII, XIV.

:flap: :toofunny:

Newzfoxjr
01-23-2007, 08:53 AM
hardwork:

If I remember correctly the Pats went 9-7 after their Super Bowl earlier this decade...

And honestly, you have to resort to insulting a guy who hasn't played in forever? Wow, classy. Pats fans always bring up old news. At least we're doing current stuff. But really, who cares how Bradshaw got it done? He did. 4 rings. 4-6. That's all that needs to be said. Nothing you say can taint that or take it away from us.

tony hipchest
01-23-2007, 09:33 AM
This was Brady's 2nd playoff loss out of 14.

brady has more playoff losses than big ben.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-23-2007, 09:35 AM

Well, at least you have a coach again. When you have some football players give us a call. We'll let you scrimmage us, maybe. If we do, bring Montana's jock, you'll need it.

PAST

Hall of Fame Pittsburgh Steelers (22)
BERT BELL (1963) - 1941-1946
MEL BLOUNT (1989) - 1970-1983
TERRY BRADSHAW (1989) - 1970-1983
LEN DAWSON (1987) - 1957-1959
BILL DUDLEY (1966) - 1942, 1945-1946
JOE GREENE (1987) - 1969-1981
JACK HAM (1988) - 1971-1982
FRANCO HARRIS (1990) - 1972-1983
ROBERT (Cal) HUBBARD (1963) - 1936
JOHN HENRY JOHNSON (1987) - 1960-1965
WALT KIESLING (1966) - 1940-1942, 1954-1956, 1937-1939
JACK LAMBERT (1990) - 1974-1984
BOBBY LAYNE (1967) - 1958-1962
JOHN (Blood) MCNALLY (1963) - 1934, 1937-1938
MARION MOTLEY (1968) - 1955
CHUCK NOLL (1993) - 1969-1991
ART ROONEY (1964) - 1933-1988
DAN ROONEY (2000) - 1955-Present
JOHN STALLWORTH (2002) - 1974-1987
ERNIE STAUTNER (1969) - 1950-1963
LYNN SWANN (2001) - 1974-1982
MIKE WEBSTER (1997) - 1974-1988
[/SIZE]

Hall of Fame New England Patriots (3)
NICK BUONICONTI (2001) - 1962-1968
JOHN HANNAH (1991) - 1973-1985
MIKE HAYNES (1997) - 1976-1982

PRESENT

2007 Pro Bowl Pittsburgh Steelers (4)
Alan Faneca
Willie Parker
Casey Hampton
Troy Polamalu

2007 Pro Bowl Patriots (1)
Richard Seymour

(I love it when facts are stronger than smack):smile: :smile:

meanjoecoop
01-23-2007, 09:44 AM
PAST

Hall of Fame Pittsburgh Steelers (22)
BERT BELL (1963) - 1941-1946
MEL BLOUNT (1989) - 1970-1983
TERRY BRADSHAW (1989) - 1970-1983
LEN DAWSON (1987) - 1957-1959
BILL DUDLEY (1966) - 1942, 1945-1946
JOE GREENE (1987) - 1969-1981
JACK HAM (1988) - 1971-1982
FRANCO HARRIS (1990) - 1972-1983
ROBERT (Cal) HUBBARD (1963) - 1936
JOHN HENRY JOHNSON (1987) - 1960-1965
WALT KIESLING (1966) - 1940-1942, 1954-1956, 1937-1939
JACK LAMBERT (1990) - 1974-1984
BOBBY LAYNE (1967) - 1958-1962
JOHN (Blood) MCNALLY (1963) - 1934, 1937-1938
MARION MOTLEY (1968) - 1955
CHUCK NOLL (1993) - 1969-1991
ART ROONEY (1964) - 1933-1988
DAN ROONEY (2000) - 1955-Present
JOHN STALLWORTH (2002) - 1974-1987
ERNIE STAUTNER (1969) - 1950-1963
LYNN SWANN (2001) - 1974-1982
MIKE WEBSTER (1997) - 1974-1988
[/SIZE]

Hall of Fame New England Patriots (3)
NICK BUONICONTI (2001) - 1962-1968
JOHN HANNAH (1991) - 1973-1985
MIKE HAYNES (1997) - 1976-1982

PRESENT

Alan Faneca
Willie Parker
Casey Hampton
Troy Polamalu

2007 Prow Bowl Patriots (1)
Richard Seymour

(I love it when facts are stronger than smack):smile: :smile:

:toofunny: Kinda like having a battle of wits with an unarmed man...no wait...this is exactly like that! :toofunny:

tony hipchest
01-23-2007, 10:10 AM
[PRESENT

Alan Faneca
Willie Parker
Casey Hampton
Troy Polamalu

(I love it when facts are stronger than smack):smile: :smile:lets just add jerome bettis and rod woodson to the HOF list and say that lc greenwood and dermontti dawson are pending.

MACH1
01-23-2007, 12:18 PM
If he wants to bring up past Qbs, I guess its only fair to compare Grogan to Bradshaw.:chuckle:

HometownGal
01-23-2007, 12:35 PM
If he wants to bring up past Qbs, I guess its only fair to compare Grogan to Bradshaw.:chuckle:

Most Patriots "fans" don't even know who Steve Grogan is. :sofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Too be fair..I DO see some similarities between Brady and Montana.

1) They will both have the same QB rating in the next Superbowl.
2) ...Tom and Joe ....both....have ...three letters in their names.
3) Both will pay the same amount to go to the superbowl this year.
4) ...Both had coaches named "Bill"
5) Both have thrown game winning passes to players with the last name of Jackson...(Brady's ,of course, was to Colts defensive back "Marlin Jackson"..and it was a game winning pass for the other team).

MACH1
01-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Most Patriots "fans" don't even know who Steve Grogan is. :sofunny:

Thats right I forgot they didnt have a team before 91. :toofunny:

HometownGal
01-23-2007, 01:08 PM
Thats right I forgot they didnt have a team before 91. :toofunny:

They didn't have many fans before 2001 either - LOL! Hell - you could get a ticket to a Pats game out of a gumball machine. :toofunny: :cheers:

hardwork
01-23-2007, 02:27 PM
As for people from Boston anyone who has spent any amount of time there will tell you. In general they are rude, stuck up, ignorant and generally just think they are above everyone. I wouldn't pay attention to anything they say, like several others have said simply ignore it. It won't go away but who really cares?

And this is a guy from Jersy talking about rude and ignorant. :upyours: NJ isn't even a state it's just a turnpike you use to get some place else.

HW, from the Athens of America.

hardwork
01-23-2007, 03:07 PM
The Steelers, as the Pirates, joined the NFL in 1933. That's 74 years ago. The Patriots, and the rest of the AFL, merge schedules with the NFL in 1970. That's 37 years ago.

Gee, I would hope you have more to show for your 74 years in the NFL compared to our 37.

==========================

Teams that fold between the 1931 and 1932 seasons:

Cleveland Indians
Providence Steam Roller

The Boston Braves join the NFL for the
1932 season

The Staten Island Stapletons fold between the 1932 and 1933 seasons

The Boston Braves changed their name to the Boston Redskins

Teams that join the NFL for the 1933 season:

Pittsburgh Pirates
Cincinnati Reds
Philadelphia Eagles

The NFL splits into divisions as follows:

EASTERN DIVISION
Boston Redskins
Brooklyn Dodgers
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Pittsburgh Pirates

WESTERN DIVISION
Chicago Bears
Chicago Cardinals
Cincinnati Reds
Green Bay Packers
Portsmouth Spartans

The Portsmouth Spartans move to Detroit and are named the Detroit Lions.

The Cincinnati Reds are allowed to move to St. Louis and become the St. Louis Gunners, folding after 1934 season

The Cleveland Rams are awarded an NFL franchise in the Western Division

The Boston Redskins move to Washington

The Pittsburgh Pirates are renamed the Pittsburgh Steelers

The Cleveland Rams suspend operations for the 1943 season

The Eagles and Steelers merge for one season to the Phil-Pitt Steagles

-------------------

The NFL and AFL merge their schedules and go to the current two conference, six division format. The AFL becomes the AFC with the Steelers, Browns and Colts moved there from the NFL. The rest of the NFL becomes the NFC. This is the only time a rival league has successfully merged with the NFL.

http://www.football.com/history/index.shtml

HometownGal
01-23-2007, 03:17 PM
The Steelers, as the Pirates, joined the NFL in 1933. That's 74 years ago. The Patriots, and the rest of the AFL, merge schedules with the NFL in 1970. That's 37 years ago.

Gee, I would hope you have more to show for your 74 years in the NFL compared to our 37.

If you are going to beat your chest, hw - you'd better get up to snuff on your team's history. The current New England Patriots were formerly known as the Boston Patriots, established in 1960. Dum dum.

MACH1
01-23-2007, 03:19 PM
If you are going to beat your chest, hw - you'd better get up to snuff on your team's history. The current New England Patriots were formerly known as the Boston Patriots, established in 1960. Dum dum.

Must be a closet Foreskin fan.:sofunny:

HometownGal
01-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Must be a closet Foreskin fan.:sofunny:

No - just proves my point that most of these Pats wagon-jumpers don't know the history of their own team because up until 6 years ago, they didn't even know they had a football franchise. :toofunny:

tony hipchest
01-23-2007, 03:52 PM

we do. 5>3

pretty pathetic watching patfans beg for recognition and aknowledgement, but undertandable why they would need steelerfans validation.

cute how they too want to be part of the greatest, most savy fanbase of the classiest team out there. too bad its not there own.

welcome to steelersfever. home of the reigning superbowl champs. :tt02:

sumo
01-23-2007, 03:58 PM
:sofunny: Dude I'm sorry but that's just nuts to say. Did you watch him play or are you basing that on watching highlights? Better yet look up his career completion percentage and tell me how accurate a passer he was. Without looking I'd have to guess it's closer to 50% than 60%. While you're at it look up his TD-INT ratio. Bradshaw was a great QB and may be #1 in my heart but there are several QB's that were as good or better than him. 4 super bowls or not, remember football is the ultimate TEAM sport.

Sorry - have to disagree with you - saying Bradshaw was stupid while he was playing was a good thing - Dallas was supposedly the team ahead of it's time - with all the formations, coordinators, situational players, etc - calling Bradshaw stupid was perfect - it caused other teams (especially the Cowboys) to under-estimate him - they put everybody in the box to stop Franco and Rocky, because they thought there was no way Mr Stupid Bradshaw could beat them - and hell no I'm not looking at just highlights to talk about Bradshaw's accuracy -I grew up watching him play - it was a different game then - especially for the Steelers - most of the big arm Qbs of that era were always around 50% with their completion rate and his TD to Int ratio is skewed because he had a tough two year start to his career - saying there are a lot of Qbs that were just as good or better because of stats??! - doesn't make it with me - sorry - in Super Bowls, playoffs, big division games, etc -Bradshaw was just as good or better than any QB in history - and that is what defines greatness with me - not stats -

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 04:04 PM
I grew up watching him play - it was a different game then - especially for the Steelers - most of the big arm Qbs of that era were always arounf 50% with their completion rate and his TD to Int ratio is skewed because he had a tough two year start to his career

Couldn't agree more - that was before the dink-n-dunk passing game popularized by the 49ers in the 80s came about. Passing was much more "vertical" than it is now.

sumo
01-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Couldn't agree more - that was before the dink-n-dunk passing game popularized by the 49ers in the 80s came about. Passing was much more "vertical" than it is now.

Part of the reason Bradshaw felt under-appreciated by the Steelers when he retired, is because of some of the same criticisms you see in this thread - "it was all about the team" - "they had a great defense" - "they had a great running game" - of course all of that is true - but what does it have to do with Bradshaw? who do you think played the biggest role in all of this? - Who called all the running plays for Franco and Rocky? - who got Swann and Stallworth all their big catches? who was the offensive coordinator during all of their SB runs? Who routinely set up the defense with excellent field position and time of possession? - sore subject for me!!

MACH1
01-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Part of the reason Bradshaw felt under-appreciated by the Steelers when he retired, is because of some of the same criticisms you see in this thread - "it was all about the team" - "they had a great defense" - "they had a great running game" - of course all of that is true - but what does it have to do with Bradshaw? who do you think played the biggest role in all of this? - Who called all the running plays for Franco and Rocky? - who got Swann and Stallworth all their big catches? who was the offensive coordinator during all of their SB runs? Who routinely set up the defense with excellent field position and time of possession? - sore subject for me!!

Part of it was his relationship with Noll too.

BOXCAR JOEY
01-23-2007, 05:04 PM
honestly, when you think about it. Who really can compare to the greats like montana, bradshaw, namath, marino, etc. With comentators today comparing peyton, brady, and so on and so on with the greats of the past is kinda annoying. yea so what the guys of today have better number and what not, but theyre not the leaders that made the game what it is today. So what im saying brady comes no where near montanas jock.

sumo
01-23-2007, 05:32 PM

Oh - sorry I was waiting for an actual reply - I guess this is it here ....uuh yeah - you got me - my bad...Bradshaw was stupid and would call plays like "you two go long.." geez - I'm floored! - how can I trade shots with this snappy come-back?? - I give up...you win - Brady is better - oh and smarter too..

tony hipchest
01-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Couldn't agree more - that was before the dink-n-dunk passing game popularized by the 49ers in the 80s came about. Passing was much more "vertical" than it is now.bradshaw has even said he couldve put up numbers comparable to joe montana (especially completion %) if all he had to do was throw swing passes, quick outs and hitch routes.

brady and montana were like pennington, not exactly known for their arm strength (that changed once brady started juicing).

bradshaw set the national record for javelin throw while in high school. he couldve been an olympian and a 4X SB champ.

theres a reason players like bradshaw, carson, bledsoe, and manning are number one picks overall, while players like montana and brady fall to the 3rd and 6th rounds. offenses have to be designed around their lack of skill.

sumo
01-23-2007, 06:52 PM
bradshaw has even said he couldve put up numbers comparable to joe montana (especially completion %) if all he had to do was throw swing passes, quick outs and hitch routes.

brady and montana were like pennington, not exactly known for their arm strength (that changed once brady started juicing).

bradshaw set the national record for javelin throw while in high school. he couldve been an olympian and a 4X SB champ.

theres a reason players like bradshaw, carson, bledsoe, and manning are number one picks overall, while players like montana and brady fall to the 3rd and 6th rounds. offenses have to be designed around their lack of skill.

The Tonster speaks well! - and yes I agree - Brady is a juicer - :sofunny:

LarryNJ
01-23-2007, 08:36 PM
Sorry - have to disagree with you - saying Bradshaw was stupid while he was playing was a good thing - ....... and hell no I'm not looking at just highlights to talk about Bradshaw's accuracy -I grew up watching him play - it was a different game then - especially for the Steelers - most of the big arm Qbs of that era were always around 50% with their completion rate and his TD to Int ratio is skewed because he had a tough two year start to his career - saying there are a lot of Qbs that were just as good or better because of stats??! - doesn't make it with me - sorry - in Super Bowls, playoffs, big division games, etc -Bradshaw was just as good or better than any QB in history - and that is what defines greatness with me - not stats -

I have no problem with you disagreeing with me, and I respect you opinion. I never said Bradshaw was stupid anyone who thinks that is an idiot.

You may not think stats are a gauge and that's fine. But you're wrong when you say most the big arms of the day completition % was around 50% they were more in the 57%-59% range and many have higher yards per completion averages.

Many of you agreed with this but it's a sore subject with me too. What does this have to do with Bradshaw?? Every friggin thing!! The way I look at it is Bradshaw acted a little like TO. Me Me Me...give me more credit.... I'm not appreciated.. :blah: :crying03: Oh please Terry Shut the F up. It is a team sport and you were a big part of one of the greatest teams in history. They wouldn't of done it without you but you wouldn't of done it on any other team.

One more thing, for the dude up north I live in NJ now but I'm a Pgh. guy. And yes the morons in Boston are 100x worse than in NJ or NY.

sumo
01-24-2007, 03:05 AM
I have no problem with you disagreeing with me, and I respect you opinion. I never said Bradshaw was stupid anyone who thinks that is an idiot.

You may not think stats are a gauge and that's fine. But you're wrong when you say most the big arms of the day completition % was around 50% they were more in the 57%-59% range and many have higher yards per completion averages.

Many of you agreed with this but it's a sore subject with me too. What does this have to do with Bradshaw?? Every friggin thing!! The way I look at it is Bradshaw acted a little like TO. Me Me Me...give me more credit.... I'm not appreciated.. :blah: :crying03: Oh please Terry Shut the F up. It is a team sport and you were a big part of one of the greatest teams in history. They wouldn't of done it without you but you wouldn't of done it on any other team.

One more thing, for the dude up north I live in NJ now but I'm a Pgh. guy. And yes the morons in Boston are 100x worse than in NJ or NY.

Yeah - my mistake - I got your post mixed with another one - it was somebody else saying Bradshaw was stupid - and dude - it's ok to disagree - I love debating the differences between eras in pro sports - especially the NFL - I agree Bradshaw played on a team packed with HOFers - but IMHO, he wasn't anything at all like TO - Noll even admitted in a recent interview that he was a dick to Bradshaw and wants to make things right - anyway - it's one of those issues we could argue all day - but IMO, the Qbs of the 70s played the game different - I'm not going to go look up stats - I never do - purely from my memory - it seems like all of the big arm guys from that time period ie Namath, Hart, Gabriel, Plunkett, Jones, Pastorini, Ferguson, Morton, and even Stabler even though he threw a lot to his TE and backs always averaged around 50% comp. - 50-55 and you were doing good - maybe I'm wrong - QBs threw deep crossing routes/post patterns instead of ten yard passes to backs and TEs sitting in windows between LBs. There were a lot more pics because you could throttle receivers as long as the ball wasn't in the air and even then PI wasn't called with the frequency it is today - a lot of pics thrown were intended for receivers that had been knocked down while running their pattern 25 yards down field - all within the rules - I remember Mel Blount having 11 pics one year in a 14 game season employing these tactics - would Montana and Brady throw 30 TDs/10 INTs with a 65% comp rate in a season given the same situations/rules/style of play? IMHO...no

LarryNJ
01-24-2007, 06:08 AM

Good points! :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
01-24-2007, 09:47 AM
- it seems like all of the big arm guys from that time period ie Namath, Hart, Gabriel, Plunkett, Jones, Pastorini, Ferguson, Morton, and even Stabler even though he threw a lot to his TE and backs always averaged around 50% comp. - 50-55 and you were doing good - maybe I'm wrong - QBs threw deep crossing routes/post patterns instead of ten yard passes to backs and TEs sitting in windows between LBs. There were a lot more pics because you could throttle receivers as long as the ball wasn't in the air and even then PI wasn't called with the frequency it is today -heard on the radio thismorning that the year j. namath won the Sb his completion % was 47%. the year bart starr won his 2nd Sb and was named Sb mvp he had like 9 td's and 17 int's.

sumo
01-24-2007, 01:36 PM
heard on the radio thismorning that the year j. namath won the Sb his completion % was 47%. the year bart starr won his 2nd Sb and was named Sb mvp he had like 9 td's and 17 int's.

yeah - wow I guess it doesn't surprise me - thats' why teams focused so much on running the ball and Lombardi spent hours teaching the sweep play - rules actually favored the defense until the 80s...

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-24-2007, 02:10 PM
=hardwork;210432]The Steelers, as the Pirates, joined the NFL in 1933. That's 74 years ago. The Patriots, and the rest of the AFL, merge schedules with the NFL in 1970. That's 37 years ago.

Gee...you would have a point except for the fact that the Steelers have 22 HoF'ers
and the Pats have 3...since you have been in the league exactly half the years we have... shouldnt you have 11?

But then again we all know how arbitrary things like MATH and Historical Fact are:dang:

HometownGal
01-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Gee...you would have a point except for the fact that the Steelers have 22 HoF'ers
and the Pats have 3...since you have been in the league exactly half the years we have... shouldnt you have 11?

But then again we all know how arbitrary things like MATH and Historical Fact are:dang:

Pats fans, for the most part, don't understand fact - they only understand fiction. :wink02: :chicken: