PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau to Stay

83-Steelers-43
01-22-2007, 02:27 PM
New Steelers coach to retain Dick LeBeau
Monday, January 22, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

New Steelers coach Mike Tomlin plans to keep Dick LeBeau as his defensive coordinator, which likely means the defense will not change a lot in 2007.

Sources told the Post-Gazette that LeBeau will remain in place and that some other coaches from Bill Cowher's staff also could stay on.

Some players already were told that LeBeau, the impresario of the zone-blitz 3-4 defense, would remain.

"I heard LeBeau's staying," linebacker Larry Foote said. "I don't think our defense will have any problems."

Tomlin has coached a 4-3 defense using a cover 2 scheme his entire NFL coaching career.

The new coach was scheduled to be introduced at a news conference in Pittsburgh at 3:30 p.m. today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07022/755916-100.stm

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks 83 for posting this. For those who thought LeBeau was going to get kicked to the curb. Its not going to happen.

TackleMeBen
01-22-2007, 02:35 PM
I think LeBeau and Tomlin could work together and we could have a killer defense that other teams would be terrified to play against.

Now if we can get the offensive to start clicking, then we can be a dominated force.

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 02:42 PM
I think LeBeau and Tomlin could work together and we could have a killer defense that other teams would be terrified to play against.

Now if we can get the offensive to start clicking, then we can be a dominated force.

Even when the offense clicks for 3/4 of the game, we are a dominating force. Imagine if Tomlin can get the offense to click for an entire game?

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-22-2007, 02:52 PM
Great News...we don't have the horses to go to a 4-3 defense.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Does anyone recall whether any of Noll's coaches other than Dick Hoak were reatined by Cowher? I recall Capers and Erhardt were brought in as new coordinators.

I know the franchise is not upside down and on fire, but I am pleasantly surprised a new HC that has been a DC with a different defensive scheme is keeping LeBeau.

Wonder if this came up in negotiations?

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Maybe Tomlin isn't an ego maniac and wants to learn some new things. Plus he knows the Steelers are built for the 3-4.

polamalufan43
01-22-2007, 02:56 PM
That's good. LeBeau is good, and I agree. The Steelers should stay with a 3-4 D
~Polamalufan43:tt02:

4n2t0
01-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Don't fool yourselves, LeBeau only stays until Tomlin can get the personnel required to run a 4-3.

DACEB
01-22-2007, 03:06 PM

Agreed, who knows this could be the start of something BIG!! LeBeau has a wealth of knowledge and that hopefully was the first of many great coaching decisions by Coach Tomlin. Pay close attention in the meetings LB's coach Butler, this could be your gig in the future, LeBeau is most likely set to retire soon.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Don't fool yourselves, LeBeau only stays until Tomlin can get the personnel required to run a 4-3.

LeBeau is also 70 years old and won't be coaching forever. I say Tomlin will run a scheme that best suits the talent he has.

4n2t0
01-22-2007, 03:08 PM

They were called the Miami Dolphins this past year.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 03:09 PM

I agree completely. LeBeau gets a gold watch after 2007.

4n2t0
01-22-2007, 03:10 PM
LeBeau is also 70 years old and won't be coaching forever. I say Tomlin will run a scheme that best suits the talent he has.

He will only do so until he can change it. Coaches don't change their philosophy to suit players, they change players to suit their philosophy.

What does interest me is the draft, especially if Tomlin starts to build "His" team, which I expect he will. Also, who will our OC be? This will be very important since Tomlin comes from a defensive background.

Seth88101
01-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Does anyone know where Grimm will be going? Is there any chance he'll be the new OC? Tomlin, Grom, and Dick... Could be a deadly combination..

MJ5150
01-22-2007, 03:15 PM
I was nervous Tomlin may move out LeBeau for someone he preferred. I know it is a matter of time until Tomlin does so, I just did not want it to happen at the same time as Tomlin is moving in.

I want to know who his OC will be.

-Mike

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-22-2007, 03:15 PM
whew...and we still get to keep "twas the night before christmas..."

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-22-2007, 03:16 PM
Does anyone know where Grimm will be going? Is there any chance he'll be the new OC? Tomlin, Grom, and Dick... Could be a deadly combination..

Would you stay and wourk under someone who took a job from under you???
There is no chance he stays.........

stlrtruck
01-22-2007, 03:27 PM
I think LeBeau and Tomlin could make the defensive changes to incorporate all aspects of both schemes. Thus making the defensive unit not only better but stronger. Utilizing the strengths of both systems and their players.

Grimm may be man enough to accept that he wasn't chosen for the job but will stay because he wants another ring!
Swallow your pride and do what you do!

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 03:30 PM
Excellent!!! :thumbsup: Thanks for the heads-up!

Haiku_Dirtt
01-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks 83 for posting this. For those who thought LeBeau was going to get kicked to the curb. Its not going to happen.

Truth be told. This is the best Steeler news since Santonio's "5-yard slant" put the 'final nail' in the Bengal playoff coffin.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-22-2007, 03:43 PM

That's the point. As 83 states Professor LeBeau is on his seventh decade. Tomlin would be the fool to kick him curbside. Very refreshing move by Tomlin (if in fact he made -or was allowed to make - that choice) even if it is only just for one more season.

83-Steelers-43
01-22-2007, 03:52 PM
In my opinion, this was a no-brainer move. Coach Tomlin (feels weird to say huh?) is going to have his hands full with issues (on and off the field) during his first year as the Pittsburgh Steelers HC. He needs to keep at least part of this staff intact. LeBeau being key.

Nevermind the fact that LeBeau is one of the best DC's in the league today and it would have been foolish (in my opinion) if he dumped LeBeau.

4n2t0
01-22-2007, 03:59 PM
That's the point. As 83 states Professor LeBeau is on his seventh decade. Tomlin would be the fool to kick him curbside. Very refreshing move by Tomlin (if in fact he made -or was allowed to make - that choice) even if it is only just for one more season.

I know that's the point, that's why I made it!

I'm trying to clear up the fact that even if LeBeau was 42, he would still be gone as soon as the team can make the transition to a 4-3.

Tomlin is using LeBeau, there's nothing wrong with that, in fact it's the only move really.

SteelerFanInCA
01-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm glad to hear he's keeping LeBeau around for at least another year. It should be interesting to see what happens when these guys put their minds together.

Stlrs4Life
01-22-2007, 04:50 PM

Yeah, if we continue to do well with the 3-4, Tomlin will change everything.

Atlanta Dan
01-22-2007, 05:08 PM
Yeah, if we continue to do well with the 3-4, Tomlin will change everything.

Well Porter and Haggans are aging - the traditional Steelers MO is to draft an undersized college DE in the second round that usually is a bust in an effort to develop an OLB. No matter what scheme is used there will need to be some replacements on the D. Let's wait and see who gets drafted on defense or signed as a FA (or cut?) - then we will start to have some concrete evidence to measure Tomlin's devotion to the 3-4 or 4-3/Cover Two.

Preseason games this year certainly should be interesting after last year's August snoozefest.

yinzer-inseattle
01-22-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm really happy with the retention of LeBeau. Even though the offense did not perform well last year, I believe the defense has more to ground (than the offense) to cover to regain its place amongst the NFL elite. So it looks as though there will be some continuity to leverage on that front.

Another thing that makes me very optimistic is MT's presence. The more I hear MT speak the more this feels and looks like Cowher 15 years ago, and that is a very good thing.

I found this video on youtube. It's from the Vikings training camp last year. If MT brings the same focus and objectivity to the Steelers, our players will respond well (or they will be gone).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfh7EX5XaDM

I'm stoked about this new chapter in Steelers lore!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy
01-22-2007, 05:35 PM
I really hope we can keep Darren Perry as well. The good news is that Whisenhunt already has a DC in Arizona, so Perry won't be headed there.

iloveben7
01-22-2007, 05:40 PM
I'm so happy Tomlin got the head coaching job~but even more happier that LeBeau is staying!!

Black@Gold Forever32
01-22-2007, 05:41 PM
I really hope we can keep Darren Perry as well. The good news is that Whisenhunt already has a DC in Arizona, so Perry won't be headed there.

+1 I agree.

But Darren Perry was one of my favorite Steelers players as a kid. I always though he was underrated as a player. Its easy to get over looked when you play in the same secondary with the likes of Rod Woodson and Carnell Lake. Plus Perry has coached under LeBeau. He would be a great fit as a future DC.

Jeremy
01-22-2007, 05:43 PM
Perry is mentioned by insiders as a coach on the rise. He played for two great head coaches in Joe Paterno at Penn State and Bill Cowher with the Steelers. He's a guy who had the respect of the players because he played at a pretty high level in the NFL and he has a solid grasp of our defensive scheme. I only hope we hold on to him over the next few weeks. With Parcells out in Dallas, it's hard to tell what's going to happen there.

Stillers43
01-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Agreed, who knows this could be the start of something BIG!! LeBeau has a wealth of knowledge and that hopefully was the first of many great coaching decisions by Coach Tomlin. Pay close attention in the meetings LB's coach Butler, this could be your gig in the future, LeBeau is most likely set to retire soon.

I agree! Good Comments!

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Considering that LeBeau has played and coached at the NFL level a good 10+ years longer than Tomlin's been alive, smart move. If I'm Tomlin, I would definitely like to be able to pick the brain of one of the NFL's premier DCs.

Glace
01-22-2007, 11:23 PM
You also never know. It sounds to me like the only thing Tomlin has ever been exposed to is the 4-3 cover2.

Maybe after this season, he'll be in love with the 3-4. Who better to have as a teacher than Lebeau?

I was extremely worried Tomlin would try to make the transition this year....but when I heard he was keeping Lebeau...I can't tell you how happy I was.

SteelerFanInTX210
01-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Im really excited about Tomlin and I hope that when it comes to Lebeau hes not just giving us lip service.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
01-22-2007, 11:52 PM
Good