PDA

View Full Version : Sports and God

Hammer67
01-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Ok...I was watching the games yesterday and then the Tomlin press conference today. Am I the only one who finds it ironic that athletes mention God when they win only? Take the Colts owner and Dungy thanking the Lord and saying he made it possible. So...what do you think the Patriots were saying? "I would like to blame Jesus for the loss." :sofunny:

I mean, I am not harping on religion or anything but I just think it's kind of silly to "thank the lord" for helping you win a football game. Don't even get me started on rappers thanking god at the Grammy's for their award for best ganbanger albulm!

stlrtruck
01-23-2007, 06:44 AM
I hear you and a few years ago Bradshaw made the same comparison. He said you don't see players pointing to the heavens when they drop a pass or have a bad play.

However, I think one thing you'll notice about Dungy he mentioned his faith even when he had the tragedy of his son.

For some it's only when things are good. But for a true Christian, it SHOULD BE like in the movie, "Facing the Giants" and praise God for everything. Win, Lose or Tie! Praise Him Always!

Livinginthe past
01-23-2007, 01:15 PM
I think alot of sports people 'thank the lord' just for the opportunity to be there.

There are some, as you say, think that Gods main priority (should he exist) at this time is the AFCCG.

If it is, then God does indeed move in mysterious ways.

NM

stlrtruck
01-23-2007, 01:27 PM
I was once asked, "Do you think Jesus Christ would go to a Bucs game?" (probably because I live in the Tampa area).

Of course, my first thought was, "NO!, wouldn't he want to be at a Steelers game!?"

But then I thought about it and really didn't have an answer.

But my pastor said, "He probably would go to a football game but his motivation for being there wouldn't be to watch the game or talk about sports, his purpose there would be to bring the unsaved to the Kingdom of Heaven."

Livinginthe past
01-23-2007, 01:36 PM
That was kind of a dull answer by your pastor - I was sure they'd be a punchline at the end.

NM

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-23-2007, 02:01 PM
I think alot of sports people 'thank the lord' just for the opportunity to be there.

There are some, as you say, think that Gods main priority (should he exist) at this time is the AFCCG.

If it is, then God does indeed move in mysterious ways.

NM

I sort of go both ways on this issue...It does touch my heart to see athletes give credit to the One who blessed them with their talents and opportunities....But I sometime get the impression that there is almost a superstitious feeling among some players that if they DONT give credit then God is ready to send a strong wind in to make the next field goal go wide right...or rain to make the ball slick. I think win or lose... you thank God for your opportunities...realizing that God has given free will..the ability to win/lose....to make correct gameday decisions...so much of that is up to us...and our willinglness to be faithful just allows God to do what he wants to do (in all walks of life)...and make it easier to keep focused and not distracted by worldly things.

stlrtruck
01-23-2007, 02:27 PM
I sort of go both ways on this issue...It does touch my heart to see athletes give credit to the One who blessed them with their talents and opportunities....But I sometime get the impression that there is almost a superstitious feeling among some players that if they DONT give credit then God is ready to send a strong wind in to make the next field goal go wide right...or rain to make the ball slick. I think win or lose... you thank God for your opportunities...realizing that God has given free will..the ability to win/lose....to make correct gameday decisions...so much of that is up to us...and our willinglness to be faithful just allows God to do what he wants to do (in all walks of life)...and make it easier to keep focused and not distracted by worldly things.

Are you sure you aren't a pastor?

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Are you sure you aren't a pastor?

LOL....I have on and off been a deacon, sunday school teacher...and volunteer Christian addiction and jail counselor for the last 17 years with Right Start Right Step.

Preacher
01-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Truly, I see them giving a word to God more as realizing that they can not be arrogant at that point in time. They realize that there is something bigger then them, and seek humbleness. Which I appreciate.

However, for the most part, they are giving glory to a mysterious, etheral god... instead fo the God that is discussed in any specific religion, let alone the Lord Jesus Christ. And even when many call on Him, it is more a cultural christ, then the Jesus of faith.

Thus, I can understand how people actions are contradictory to giving glory to God. I completly disagree with them, but I can understand it.

stlrtruck
01-24-2007, 07:51 AM
I think the True Believers in Christ come out during interviews. Dungy, Polamalu, Ben, S. Alexander - just to name a few. When they interview, they talk about their faith. Last year in Steelers Digest, Troy talked about why he "blesses" himself before every play and his answer was something like, "To do God's will during the game, if I get beat then I get beat but I want to honor God in what I do and how I react!"

Justin Otstott
01-24-2007, 08:58 AM
as bad as it is, its really true lmao!

fansince'76
01-24-2007, 06:50 PM
Am I the only one who finds it ironic that athletes mention God when they win only? Take the Colts owner and Dungy thanking the Lord and saying he made it possible.

I can understand this skepticism. However, it's one thing when an asshat like T.O. or C.J. says it and another when someone like Dungy says it. In Dungy's case, it's actually genuine.

3 to be 4
01-24-2007, 07:07 PM
And ive seen Kurt Warner talk about the Lord working in his life even when things dont go well. People see what they want to see. Dungy, Herm Edwards, Kurt Warner, these guys are the real deal, win or lose.
But some people, if they dont share the same beliefs, will always find a reason to criticize the believers no matter what they do.

stillers4me
01-24-2007, 07:23 PM
It's a none issue to me. It's their beliefs and they have they right to say. If someone doesn't like it, tuff. Turn off the TV and quit watching. I'm not going to keep my beliefs to myself because someone who thinks differently thinks they can keep me from saying it. God Bless the USA......and if you don't like it......leave.

Hammer67
01-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Hold it. I never said anything about their beliefs...I merely pointed out that it was ironic that athletes thanked god for winning football games and wondered what they thought when they lost. That's all.

Same thing with rappers at the Grammy's. Some dude with an album about beeotches and ho's thanks God at the podium for making it all possible. It's quite funny to me.

:eyecrazy:

sumo
01-25-2007, 01:58 AM
But my pastor said, "He probably would go to a football game but his motivation for being there wouldn't be to watch the game or talk about sports, his purpose there would be to bring the unsaved to the Kingdom of Heaven."

Well - most pro football games would be excellent places to find the 'unsaved' - He may want to stop by the Bengals locker room also..

stlrtruck
01-25-2007, 07:20 AM
I'm not sure he'd have enough time for the rest of the world and the bungles! :bouncy:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Hold it. I never said anything about their beliefs...I merely pointed out that it was ironic that athletes thanked god for winning football games and wondered what they thought when they lost. That's all.

Same thing with rappers at the Grammy's. Some dude with an album about beeotches and ho's thanks God at the podium for making it all possible. It's quite funny to me.

:eyecrazy:

I think that goes back to what I said earlier...True faith and understanding of faith would lead one to understand that God gives talent and opportunity....But work ethic and free will are still up to the individual. With that correct percpective...one can thank God.. win or lose...and still get a sense of self-worth from their effort. All God asks for in return is love and praise. If they are wondering why they didnt win...I think they need to re-evaluate their faith and the role/relationship that God and themselves are to fit into it.

I look at it this way...My Parents can give me $1,000 to do with what I want...I can invest it and be proud of myself for the investment return...and Thank them for the opportunity,...If if waste the money (talent/opportunity)..I should still be thankful for the gift...and blame myself for not making the most of it.

stlrtruck
01-25-2007, 09:16 AM
I think that goes back to what I said earlier...True faith and understanding of faith would lead one to understand that God gives talent and opportunity....But work ethic and free will are still up to the individual. With that correct percpective...one can thank God.. win or lose...and still get a sense of self-worth from their effort. All God asks for in return is love and praise. If they are wondering why they didnt win...I think they need to re-evaluate their faith and the role/relationship that God and themselves are to fit into it.

I look at it this way...My Parents can give me $1,000 to do with what I want...I can invest it and be proud of myself for the investment return...and Thank them for the opportunity,...If if waste the money (talent/opportunity)..I should still be thankful for the gift...and blame myself for not making the most of it.

Well said!!!