PDA

View Full Version : Show your support

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Vote YES for the Steelers making the right decision on picking Tomlin as our new head coach...

Get behind our coach....our team......

it is 60 - 40 right now.......

GO Vote POLL : http://www.post-gazette.com/steelers/

SUPPORT YOUR BLACK AND GOLD
:tt02:

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I voted yes. Based on the Rooneys' "recent" (if you consider 2 hires in the last 38 years recent) track record with HCs and Tomlin's press conference, which is the first time I have ever seen or heard the man, personally, I think he is a good fit. Time will tell.

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Done! Thanks BBFW! :cheers:

HometownGal
01-22-2007, 08:45 PM
I voted yes. Based on the Rooneys' "recent" (if you consider 2 hires in the last 38 years recent) track record with HCs and Tomlin's press conference, which is the first time I have ever seen or heard the man, personally, I think he is a good fit. Time will tell.

I just hope some of the naysayers and impatient Steelers fans will give him a fair shot and not expect SB wins in each of his first 4 years.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 08:49 PM
I just hope some of the naysayers and impatient Steelers fans will give him a fair shot and not expect SB wins in each of his first 4 years.

I agree, HTG. I don't expect a SB berth or win from him the first year, or even the first 2 years he's here. If we're not at least in the playoffs by the end of his 3rd year with the talent he is being given to work with, then there is probably a problem.

SteelersWyo
01-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Its a terrible choice. This guy is a nobody. Two great candidates were right under their noses.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Its a terrible choice. This guy is a nobody. Two great candidates were right under their noses.

Give him a chance. Cowher was a nobody too. Grimm was actually my choice, but I think the Rooneys have a better insight into the situation than I do.

tony hipchest
01-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I just hope some of the naysayers and impatient Steelers fans will give him a fair shot and not expect SB wins in each of his first 4 years.thats gonna be tough. steelerfans expect a sb EVERY year.

tony hipchest
01-22-2007, 10:07 PM
I agree, HTG. I don't expect a SB berth or win from him the first year, or even the first 2 years he's here. If we're not at least in the playoffs by the end of his 3rd year with the talent he is being given to work with, then there is probably a problem.i support him regardless, but the rooneys have every right to expect exactly what s. payton, if not e. mangini were able to deliver. they chose to go in this direction over cowher and i sur hope its cause they thought they were making an upgrade. and i would say the same about an insider like whiz or grimm.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 10:12 PM
i support him regardless, but the rooneys have every right to expect exactly what s. payton, if not e. mangini were able to deliver. they chose to go in this direction over cowher and i sur hope its cause they thought they were making an upgrade. and i would say the same about an insider like whiz or grimm.

I don't know about that, Tony - I like to think that Cowher did need a break from the grind. Coaches like Cowher who wear their emotions on their sleeves tend to not last very long as HCs - ten years is usually the max (see Madden, Vermeil, Ditka). We had Cowher for fifteen. On the other hand, "even-tempered" coaches like Landry and Belichick can stick around 30 years or longer.

X-Terminator
01-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Most fans aren't going to give the guy a chance, and you can pick your own reasons why. Steeler fans are not known for their patience.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 11:04 PM
Most fans aren't going to give the guy a chance, and you can pick your own reasons why. Steeler fans are not known for their patience.

I don't know - I was pretty damn patient during the 26-year drought between SB wins. Not once did I ever think that Art Rooney and then Dan Rooney should ever "clean house" because we kept falling short. The "flush the current coaching staff if they don't win within 2 seasons" approach hasn't exactly worked for the Lions, Cardinals, and a boatload of other teams.

X-Terminator
01-22-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't know - I was pretty damn patient during the 26-year drought between SB wins. Not once did I ever think that Art Rooney and then Dan Rooney should ever "clean house" because we kept falling short.

Well then you are in the minority, because I don't know how many times over the years I've heard fans calling for Cowher's head, for their to be wholesale changes with the team, and even for the Rooneys to sell the team. These fans are never happy, because they think it's some birthright to have a SB champion every single year, and God help the Steelers if they don't win it.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Well then you are in the minority, because I don't know how many times over the years I've heard fans calling for Cowher's head, for their to be wholesale changes with the team, and even for the Rooneys to sell the team. These fans are never happy, because they think it's some birthright to have a SB champion every single year, and God help the Steelers if they don't win it.

Yeah, I know, but this attitude isn't exclusive to just Steelers fans. I live in Denver, and believe me, the majority of Broncos fans are EXACTLY the same way.

tony hipchest
01-22-2007, 11:16 PM
I don't know about that, Tony - I like to think that Cowher did need a break from the grind. Coaches like Cowher who wear their emotions on their sleeves tend to not last very long as HCs - ten years is usually the max (see Madden, Vermeil, Ditka). We had Cowher for fifteen. On the other hand, "even-tempered" coaches like Landry and Belichick can stick around 30 years or longer.well, i think we all could use a break from the grind. but a job is a job and we all got to do it. most arent as fortunate as cowher to leave an offer on the table. i think cowher was trying to find that "even tempered" balance to reach longevity in his career. it backfired and was seen as a lack of passion or effort.

i do think the time off will do him some good, both professionally and personally. i bet when he returns he will have the same passion but be a little more subdued as far as wearing it on his sleeve.

one thing i liked best was he knew how to yell and scream at the veterans and balance that with coaching and teaching the youngsters when they screwed up. im sure tomlin will be able to find that same sort of balance or the rooneys wouldve never hired him.

augustashark
01-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Give him a chance. Cowher was a nobody too. Grimm was actually my choice, but I think the Rooneys have a better insight into the situation than I do.

I will give him a chance, but to say that because Cowher was a nobody also does'nt mean that Tomlin will have the same success.

Cowher had a much better resume then Tomlin.

Also never underestimate the power of coaching your favorite team.

You take the coaching tree that Cowher came from along with his resume and comming home to coach his favorite team is why I think that the Rooneys knew that they had a winner!

BTW, if Tomlin was so hot then why was'nt Miami, Arizona, Oakland and Atlanta interviewing him?

I will support him with all my might, but if he is not winning then we need to move on.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
01-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Done

ajs8207
01-22-2007, 11:32 PM
I will give him a chance, but to say that because Cowher was a nobody also does'nt mean that Tomlin will have the same success.

Also never underestimate the power of coaching your favorite team.

You take the coaching tree that Cowher came from along with his resume and comming home to coach his favorite team is why I think that the Rooneys knew that they had a winner!

BTW, if Tomlin was so hot then why was'nt Miami, Arizona, Oakland and Atlanta interviewing him?

I will support him with all my might, but if he is not winning then we need to move on.

Miami did interview him.

I think the Cardinals wanted a coach who could work with Lienart and those weapons on offense.

Oakland wanted an offensive coach. The only defensive coach they have interviewed is their defensive coordinator.

Atlanta probably wanted an offensive coach to take advantage of Vick's running ability.

fansince'76
01-22-2007, 11:52 PM

With all due respect, I don't think I ever said that. I'm not willing to say he's gonna go down in flames because he's "a nobody," either.

When Cowher took the HC job for us in '92, he only had 3 years experience as a DC (after 4 years as ST, then secondary coach) under Schottenheimer in Cleveland (2 AFCCG appearances) and KC.

Currently, Tomlin has 5 years of experience with Tampa (winning a SB) as a DB coach and 1 year of experience as a DC in Minnesota.

How, exactly, was Cowher's resume so much better at the same point in his career?

Suffice it to say, I had the same doubts about Cowher in '92 as I have about Tomlin now. We'll begin finding out in August and I can't wait.

augustashark
01-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Miami did interview him.
I think the Cardinals wanted a coach who could work with Lienart and those weapons on offense.

Oakland wanted an offensive coach. The only defensive coach they have interviewed is their defensive coordinator.

Atlanta probably wanted an offensive coach to take advantage of Vick's running ability.

Site your source on this? And if thats true did we get a reject that Miami did'nt want?

augustashark
01-23-2007, 12:00 AM
With all due respect, I don't think I ever said that. I'm not willing to say he's gonna go down in flames because he's "a nobody," either.

When Cowher took the HC job for us in '92, he only had 3 years experience as a DC (after 4 years as ST, then secondary coach) under Schottenheimer in Cleveland (2 AFCCG appearances) and KC.

Currently, Tomlin has 5 years of experience with Tampa (winning a SB) as a DB coach and 1 year of experience as a DC in Minnesota.

How, exactly, was Cowher's resume so much better at the same point in his career?

Suffice it to say, I had the same doubts about Cowher in '92 as I have about Tomlin now. We'll begin finding out in August and I can't wait.

I don't know how I could have taken it anyother way. You did'nt say what you meant so I had to go with what I thought you meant.

And you're saying that having 3yrs experience as a DC is not a better resume then Tomlin having coached only one?

How was Cowher's resume better??????? I think it's black and white, Cowher helped lead his team to the playoffs in that span and his D was the reason why they won that 1st playoff game.

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 12:03 AM
I don't know how I could have taken it anyother way. You did'nt say what you meant so I had to go with what I thought you meant.

And you're saying that having 3yrs experience as a DC is not a better resume then Tomlin having coached only one?

How was Cowher's resume better??????? I think it's black and white, Cowher helped lead his team to the playoffs in that span and his D was the reason why they won that 1st playoff game.

Yeah, I see how much support he's gonna get from you. Two more years of DC experience really isn't that long considering he spent those extra two years learning NFL D from Monte Kiffin, which is like learning from LeBeau. I give him 3 years to produce (considering the talent he's inheriting - I'd give him 6 if we were in a situation like the Lions), or he's out. You?

X-Terminator
01-23-2007, 12:07 AM
I will give him a chance...I will support him with all my might...

Your other posts in this thread seem to indicate otherwise.

augustashark
01-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I see how much support he's gonna get from you. I give him 3 years to produce (considering the talent he's inheriting), or he's out. You?

I'm just tired of hearing that because Cowher was unknown means that this guy is going to be a winner also.

Support?

I will support this guy till it hurts, he is now a Steeler and I would never want anything but the best for all that are involved with the Steelers. I just think that Rivera could have been worth the wait! He has the resume and the experience that I liked.

I do agree with you on the 3 year plan. He has to much talent and support to not get the job done. I think the guy will do ok, not because of his ability (that will help him in years 4-?) but because of the support staff and the Rooneys and the fans.

X-Terminator
01-23-2007, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I see how much support he's gonna get from you. Two years more DC experience really isn't that long considering he spent those extra two years learning NFL D from Monte Kiffen, which is like learning from LeBeau. I give him 3 years to produce (considering the talent he's inheriting), or he's out. You?

3 years to produce? Produce what? A SB? So what you're basically saying is that if the Steelers don't win a SB in the next 3 years, you will want him fired. But yet, you said you had all of this patience over the 26 years between championships and didn't agree with the revolving door of coaches that other unsuccessful teams have had. Well, which is it? I certainly don't want the Steelers to turn into teams like the Lions and Cardinals with their constant coaching changes that never pan out.

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 12:15 AM
I'm just tired of hearing that because Cowher was unknown means that this guy is going to be a winner also.

Support?

I will support this guy till it hurts, he is now a Steeler and I would never want anything but the best for all that are involved with the Steelers. I just think that Rivera could have been worth the wait! He has the resume and the experience that I liked.

I do agree with you on the 3 year plan. He has to much talent and support to not get the job done. I think the guy will do ok, not because of his ability (that will help him in years 4-?) but because of the support staff and the Rooneys and the fans.

That's cool - I'm sorry if I seemed harsh, after all, we're on the same side. And after going back and re-reading my initial post, I can see where you'd draw the conclusion that I was saying Tomlin is a "can't miss" as a coach. Alot of my enthusiasm is that we have a coach again (after 15 years, I did not like the feeling of not having one). That enthusiasm will become tempered by September.

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 12:17 AM
3 years to produce? Produce what? A SB? So what you're basically saying is that if the Steelers don't win a SB in the next 3 years, you will want him fired.

Nope, I want a playoff appearance (please see post #5 of this thread). I'm a little more realistic than that. There's too much talent on this team as it stands to feel that it is unreasonable to expect that.

augustashark
01-23-2007, 12:18 AM
3 years to produce? Produce what? A SB? So what you're basically saying is that if the Steelers don't win a SB in the next 3 years, you will want him fired. But yet, you said you had all of this patience over the 26 years between championships and didn't agree with the revolving door of coaches that other unsuccessful teams have had. Well, which is it? I certainly don't want the Steelers to turn into teams like the Lions and Cardinals with their constant coaching changes that never pan out.

Ok, if he's losing games lets just let him continue to lose? That makes no sense. How many years would you go?

I'm not saying SB, I just want production! He has enough talent to get this team to the playoffs!

Payton and Mangini is the measuring stick right now, and if he does not live up to that then yes you need to look at the situation and see if he is making progress.

augustashark
01-23-2007, 12:22 AM
That's cool - I'm sorry if I seemed harsh, after all, we're on the same side. And after going back and re-reading my initial post, I can see where you'd draw the conclusion that I was saying Tomlin is a "can't miss" as a coach. Alot of my enthusiasm is that we have a coach again (after 15 years, I did not like the feeling of not having one). That enthusiasm will become tempered by September.

No problem bro, I was'nt trying to put words in your mouth.

And you're right we are on the same side and I will toast a beer with you when we open up next year because no matter who are coach is we all only want one thing a W

augustashark
01-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Your other posts in this thread seem to indicate otherwise.

Pointing out that his resume is not as strong as other canidates means I will not support him???????

Yea, I can see where you got that......Unreal!

MACH1
01-23-2007, 12:26 AM
were not going to win SBs every year but at least get your name in the hat. We have the talent to get in next year if he can teach how not to drop the stinking ball.

X-Terminator
01-23-2007, 01:04 AM
Nope, I want a playoff appearance (please see post #5 of this thread). I'm a little more realistic than that. There's too much talent on this team as it stands to feel that it is unreasonable to expect that.

No, it isn't unreasonable at all to expect a playoff berth. *I* expect this team to be back in the playoffs as early as next season with the talent in place. I'm just not one of these "all or nothing" fans who want everyone canned if they don't win it all.

Ok, if he's losing games lets just let him continue to lose? That makes no sense. How many years would you go?

I'm not saying SB, I just want production! He has enough talent to get this team to the playoffs!

Payton and Mangini is the measuring stick right now, and if he does not live up to that then yes you need to look at the situation and see if he is making progress.

No, I never said "let's just continue to let him lose." It looked to me as if you both were saying that if they don't win the SB in 3 years, then fire the guy, even if they make the playoffs all 3 seasons. So, I asked the question in my post. I was looking for some clarity, as I often do, and thank you both for clarifying your positions.

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 01:11 AM
No, it isn't unreasonable at all to expect a playoff berth. *I* expect this team to be back in the playoffs as early as next season with the talent in place. I'm just not one of these "all or nothing" fans who want everyone canned if they don't win it all.

Nope, I'm satisfied with playoff contention. The SB is the hardest title to win in sports - none of that best of seven crap. At this point, I am happy with the one we won last year, because the last time we won one before that, I was just a 12-year-old kid. I just wanted them to win another while I was an adult (and preferably, before I croaked). That was achieved last year.

klick81
01-23-2007, 01:12 AM

Agreed. There will be a whole lot of trash talkers. He's got some huuuge shoes to fill!

stlrtruck
01-23-2007, 06:51 AM
I can understand that people didn't want Tomlin as the HC of the Steelers but once the Rooneys made that decision, ALL STEELERS FANS should be behind him 100%!

vasteeler
01-23-2007, 12:39 PM

who was Cowher?:dang: who was noll?:dang: nobodys:dang:
give this guy a chance:tt02:

Tim
01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
No, a Nobody is who the Raiders hired. Tomlin was considered a top coaching prospect from a lot of teams and you can bet the Vikings are not happy he's gone.

SteelerFanInCA
01-23-2007, 01:20 PM

This nobody is now the head coach. I gotta trust and feel like the Rooney's know what they are doing on this one.

Mosca
01-23-2007, 01:20 PM
According to Coach Tomlin's press conference yesterday, he isn't a patient guy when it comes to winning; he expects to win NOW. Like, next year. He referred to divisional and conference championships as "just hardware that you pick up along the way to the goal".

I'm betting that we take it all home next year. 2 of 3. This guy is going to be the next NFL head coaching great, and the Steelers are going to be the team that makes him that.

Tom

MACH1
01-23-2007, 01:28 PM
According to Coach Tomlin's press conference yesterday, he isn't a patient guy when it comes to winning; he expects to win NOW. Like, next year. He referred to divisional and conference championships as "just hardware that you pick up along the way to the goal".

I'm betting that we take it all home next year. 2 of 3. This guy is going to be the next NFL head coaching great, and the Steelers are going to be the team that makes him that.

Tom

I hope so. I cant wait for the season to start.
But only time will tell which way things will go. After last year about the only way we can go is up.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-23-2007, 03:04 PM
we probably knew less about cowher when he was hired than we know about tomlin...only time will tell whether this was a good hire or not, but not only do i believe in the rooney's but i believe in kevin colbert as well and hope that tomlin can have, as it appeared, a relationship with him like cowher did.

polamalufan43
01-23-2007, 06:17 PM
I agree. Not many people knew who Cowher even was when he came here. So I say for now we made the right choice.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

P.S. It's now...

62% YES
38% NO