PDA

View Full Version : Ron Cook: Were others 'ruled' out by Rooney?

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Does not seem as if Ron Cook is on board with the decision to hire Tomlin.

It's one thing if Mike Tomlin got the Steelers' job because he's the best candidate. If he is, that's terrific. Welcome to Pittsburgh. Best of luck. End of story.

But what if Tomlin isn't necessarily the best choice? What if he got the job because Steelers owner Dan Rooney cares just a little more about his NFL legacy than about his franchise? What if Tomlin got the job, at least in part, because of the Rooney Rule?

Would that be disturbing?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07023/756022-87.stm

Difficult to believe AJR II and Dan Rooney would sacrifice the interests of the franchise for the greater good of the league's image, but who knows?

I favored an outside hire because the history of inside promotions to HC in the NFL is not good. If the hire was simply about maxing out the chance to win next season above all other considerations then Whiz or Grimm should have been the choice. But since a HC is not hired for just 1 season and since a number of the players on this current team probably are going to be moving on after 2007 the long term advantages of an internal hire are not great.

Not hard to see what the main line of attack and innuendo on this choice will be if Tomlin does not get off to a strong start.

Infamix
01-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Clearly he isn't. And that isn't a very politically correct statement he made, living in the world we live in today.

HometownGal
01-23-2007, 07:29 AM
But what if Tomlin isn't necessarily the best choice? What if he got the job because Steelers owner Dan Rooney cares just a little more about his NFL legacy than about his franchise? What if Tomlin got the job, at least in part, because of the Rooney Rule?

What if, what if, what if. Ron Cook is generally the only Burgh sports reporter that I give any credence to but I think he is trying to stir up a little poo here. What if Tomlin follows in Cowher's footsteps and takes the Steelers to the playoffs next season in his first year as HC? What if the Steelers go on to win the AFCC? What if the Steelers win SBXLII? If the Rooneys feel he is the best man for the job, as I said in another post - I don't give a rat's patoot if Tomlin is green with white polka dots.

BlacknGold Bleeder
01-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Sounds like he just wants to be the first to say "I told ya so ".....what an a$$. One of the best comments of the new coach was his statement about ,basically, "it will be better when it isn't news an African-American coach was hired, and just coach" Give the guy a chance !!

stlrtruck
01-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Let's make this simple.

Ron Cooke = media = lack of credibility = unintelligent when it comes to making comments

cbalke
01-23-2007, 09:34 AM
Let's make this simple.

Ron Cooke = media = lack of credibility = unintelligent when it comes to making comments

completely agree with you here!

HeartofSteel
01-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Dan Rooney care more about his NFL leagacy than his franchise?.....Are you kidding me?

Dan Rooney's legacy IS his franchise. Dan keeps two coaches around for 38 years and Ron Cook thinks he's suddenly worried about what the public thinks about who leads his team? Do you think the Rooney Rule could have been suggested, given credibility and adopted under the direction of Mike Brown, another son of a historical franchise owner? Dan has that kind of pull because he's widely respected by owners, coaches and players around the NFL. He's gained that admiration by successfully and respectfully continuing the legacy of one of the most storied franchises in the NFL. Dan Rooney does not need to worry about being forgotten by the NFL. And if he did, the fact that he once hired a black coach certainly won't make a difference.

The suggestion that Mike Tomlin was hired because he is black is ridiculous. He MAY have been interviewed because he was black. But he got the job because the ownership saw something in him that the other candidates lacked. Whatever it was....make no mistake, it wasn't his darker skin. The Rooney's haven't built a perennial competitive franchise for the last 40 years by trying to appear better than other teams. They did it by being better than other teams.

Ron Cook is a douchebag for even making the suggestion. He oughta know better....and if he doesn't he oughta act like he does.

Incidentally.......welcome to Pittsburgh, Coach Tomlin. I'm looking forward to years of success with our beloved team.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Let's make this simple.

I agree with you there.

Cooke is just trying to stir the pot.He wants to be the first person to be able to point back and say "I-told-you-so" if Tomlin flops.

Now nobody can say hiring a black coach is not a smart move because no black coach has ever coached in the Super Bowl.After SB XLI there will be a black coach who has won the Super Bowl.

I am backing Tomlin,I like him,and I hope he brings is Super Bowl glory sooner that 15-25 years from now.

Ward86MVP
01-23-2007, 09:46 AM
The Rooneys have a reputation for integrity for a reason. Tomlin was hired because they believe he is the right man for the job. To believe they hired him to make some sort of political statement is just trying to create something out of nothing.

Mosca
01-23-2007, 10:08 AM
I think it must have been excruciatingly hard for the Rooneys to NOT hire Grimm, given that they've worked with him over the last few years and that they liked him so much that they promoted him to assistant head coach to keep him; Tomlin must have been quite a bit better to have won out over a guy who they had all but accepted as the next head coach.

I say that it's really impressive that the Rooneys had the integrity to make that decision, knowing that it would be considered unpopular among some people and that they would be letting down a man whom they probably considered a friend. In the end they probably asked, "If both these men came to us as unknown quantities, which one would we pick?" And kept coming up with Tomlin. And so they chose him, even though Grimm was obviously the safer pick. I don't think they would have gotten any flak by taking the guy they'd worked with and groomed for the job.

All the risk associated with the decision lies with them, finally. Knowing what we know about them, you can't help but be impressed with what they did this last weekend.

Tom

Tim
01-23-2007, 10:08 AM
You know, I love the PG, but Cook and Bouchettte are really a bunch of cranky old guys who are rarely happy about anything the Steelers do.

HometownGal
01-23-2007, 10:36 AM
You know, I love the PG, but Cook and Bouchettte are really a bunch of cranky old guys who are rarely happy about anything the Steelers do.

Add Bob Smizik to the mix and you have the recipe for........

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

http://www.markdroberts.com/images/Three-stooges-4.jpg

Tim
01-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Heh.. sad but true. Collier is the only one who can summon up some positivity. I hope his next column has something about our new coach in it.

Haiku_Dirtt
01-23-2007, 01:34 PM
When you sanitize the media surrounding the Tomlin hire everything I want to read and hear is there.

"Born to coach" "great communicator" etc. blah blah blah.

Dude goes from being a long shot straight to the winner's circle. Money is always a factor but I don't see it as the primary factor here. The thought of Russ Grimm as Head Coach didn't exactly excite me. Quite the opposite.

TOMLIN QUOTE: "Xs and Os can be overrated at times," he said. "We will be fundamentalists in our approach and we will put guys in position to execute and execute at a high level."

Sounds like lip service but I think he really means it.

Indy_Steelers
01-23-2007, 03:32 PM
I think he is trying to stir up a little poo here.

I agree. His job is to sell newspapers and what helps them sell? Controversy.:blah:
But like Tomlin said in the interview, (paraphrase) the Rooney Rule may have got me in the door but I do not think it got me the job. I thought it was a stupid question to ask. He also asked something about being the first black coach for the Steelers and said something to the effect of I can't wait for the day we can get past that.
:cheer: I am cheering for him and I would not be surprised by the time his first contract is up we are the first team to win 6 SB.:cheer: :tt02: :thumbsup:

83-Steelers-43
01-23-2007, 03:51 PM
From the Ed Bouchette chat transcript today:

herewego: Where does Cook get off insulting the Rooneys, Tomlin and the entire city with that article today?

Ed Bouchette: Well, he's a columnist and he writes his opinion, first of all. I don't know that he insulted any one, he wrote something that probably many people are thinking.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07023/756136-66.stm[/url]

In my opinion, race did not play a part in the hiring of Mike Tomlin. I honestly believe the Rooney's chose Tomlin because they feel he is the right man for the job.

At the same time, I don't blame Cook for typing up an artical stating his opinion (part of job) and bringing up a topic in which I'm sure a good number of people are wondering about. Personally, I see absolutely no problem with it. While I have disagreed with Cook in the past, I don't believe this is some type of "media conspiracy" in order to sell more papers. I think it's a legitimate question/point to raise and I found the article interesting.

As for Bouchette's opinion on Mike Tomlin (seems happy to me):

buckeyeofsteel: What is your general initial impression of Mike Tomlin, and do you think that the team's goal of making it to Glendale in 2008 is realistic?

Ed Bouchette: Like everyone else who has known him or met him, Tomlin is an impressive man. He's energetic, bright, speaks well, knows his audience and has a sense of humor. Of course the Super Bowl is realistic for this team. They won it last February and were 15-1 the year before. Did you see where Tomlin called last season a "failure," the first time I've heard that from anyone inside the Steelers organization.

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 04:31 PM
I had not picked up the "failure" quote until I read it in the Ed.B. chat - wonder if AJR II and his Dad asked candidiates what they thought about last season and Tomlin used those terms while Grimm & Whiz could not.

I am highly confident AJR II and Dan Rooney agree with Tomlin's description of last season - I know I do.

CargoJon
01-23-2007, 07:34 PM
I hope Tomlin is here 25 years and we win 5 Super Bowls in the process. I hope that was hired because he was the best candidate. Frankly, I think it's sad that skin color even had to be a factor at all in this...which is why I don't like the Rooney rule one bit. It creates controversy where otherwise there would be none.

If we want to be a truly colorblind society, we need to quit emphasizing our differences.

SteelPerch
01-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Ron Cook hates black people

~Kanye West

Stlrs4Life
01-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Let's make this simple.

Exactly, like i said before, Pittsburgh has the worst sportswriters in the country. God forbid if we were the Browns or Bungles.

83-Steelers-43
01-26-2007, 04:33 AM
Ron Cook hates black people

~Kanye West

:toofunny: