PDA

View Full Version : Grimm = AZ Cardinal

mattss
01-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Well looks like the Whiz got Grimm to come follow him to AZ..

Fox Sports

PHOENIX (AP) - Russ Grimm was hired as the Arizona Cardinals' assistant head coach and offensive line coach Tuesday, two weeks after he interviewed for the head coaching position.

Grimm, who held the same roles for the last three seasons in Pittsburgh, joins the staff of former Steelers colleague Ken Whisenhunt. Grimm and Whisenhunt were considered early favorites to succeed Bill Cowher, but the Steelers instead hired former Minnesota defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

"Obviously, I know Russ very well from our time together with the Steelers and adding a coach of his caliber to the staff is tremendous," Whisenhunt said in a statement.

Grimm worked as an assistant with the Steelers the last six seasons. He spent the previous 19 years with the Washington Redskins - as an all-pro guard for 11 seasons (1981-91) and then as an assistant coach for eight (1992-2000).

Grimm is the fifth assistant to join Whisenhunt's staff. He joins defensive backs coach Teryl Austin, linebackers coach Billy Davis, strength and conditioning coach John Lott, and special teams coach Kevin Spencer.

memphissteelergirl
01-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Can't say I am too surprised by that...

Grimm and Whiz-taking the show out west, huh?

Stillers43
01-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Wish them nothing but the best, unless they are playing against the Steelers! They are two class act gentlemen!

PisnNapalm
01-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Time to move this thread to the NFL forum. He's no longer a Steeler.

I wish him the best, I guess.

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Wish them nothing but the best, unless they are playing against the Steelers! They are two class act gentlemen!

Steelers will be at Arizona next regular season - Whiz & Grimm no doubt have some incentive for that game

Steelers
01-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Hopefully, they can bring that team up to "respectable." It's hard to watch Larry Fitzgerald play for them.

touchdownward
01-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Not a surprise. Grimm's a consumate professional, but it would be hard for him to put his whole heart in a job that he was passed over for.

Also, the fact that he wasn't hired by anyone as a HC, tells me the Steelers made the right choice.

OneForTheToe
01-23-2007, 05:40 PM
I am happy for Grimm. I fear Russ just doesn't present as a good offensive mind. Apparently, he was not considered for the Card's Coordinater job.

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 05:52 PM
I am happy for Grimm. I fear Russ just doesn't present as a good offensive mind. Apparently, he was not considered for the Coordinatoer job.

I do not think he could hang around and work for an outsider who was hired over him - no reflection on Russ or the Steelers - that happens all the time in business when you lose out to an outsider for a CEO selection - the inhouse loser moves on to "new exciting opportunities" or the always popular "chance to spend more time with my family."

I am not poking fun at him, but I really think Russ is held back by his appearance and not being glib. Hard to believe a HOF quality player would not be regarded as HC material, but teams look for a young CEO type look such as Tomlin or an empty suit like Mora Jr. has these days (e.g. - Charlie Weis nearly dies from gastric bypass surgery that he had done because he said his obesity was holding him back from consideration for HC jobs).

tony hipchest
01-23-2007, 05:54 PM
i couldnt be happier to see our dismantled staff go not only to the nfc but the AZ cardinals. hopefully this can pull them out of the bottom of the nfl bucket.

once they start succeeding we may not have the cowboys and broncos constantly shoved down our throats here in the southwest. i doubt it though.

OneForTheToe
01-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Atlanta Dan, I wasn't very clear in my post. I edited it too late. I was taliking about Grimm not being considered for the card's OC job,

sorry

stillers4me
01-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Wouldn't it just be a kick in the teeth if The Whiz and Grimmy had to play host to their old team next year in the SuperBowl??? 2008 Superbowl in the Cardinals new stadium in Glendale, Az. Could happen...........!

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Atlanta Dan, I wasn't very clear in my post. I edited it too late. I was taliking about Grimm not being considered for the card's OC job,

sorry

No problem - I think Whiz is going to be very much his own OC - DC is the job for which he wants a strong second in command.

Duck44
01-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Damn! Arizona is going to be very good very soon.

stillers4me
01-23-2007, 06:38 PM
I just peeked at a Cardinals forum and the fans there are giddy!!!

stillers4me
01-23-2007, 06:45 PM
reply moved to another thread....oops!

polamalufan43
01-23-2007, 07:01 PM
I personally think it has to do something with Grimm not getting the HC job. But oh well, what's done is done.
~Polamalufan43:tt02:

MJ5150
01-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Let's see how fast the Arizona OL deteriorates, and how many concussions Leinart ends up with this season.

-Mike

CargoJon
01-23-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm surprised that nobody considered him for the Dallas opening frankly...although maybe he's smart enough to avoid that place...

SteelCityMan786
01-23-2007, 08:42 PM
No surprise to me. Good Luck to him with the Cardinals.

HometownGal
01-23-2007, 08:51 PM
I'm very happy for Russ, but in order for him to be effective as an OLC with the Cards, they need to get him an OL first. They have all of the makings of a team on the rise, but simply put, their OL sucks.

rags1336
01-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Good ridance! That man was one of the dumbest coaches I have ever seen, now I see why the line regressed this year. He might have been a likable guy to the players but I believe he was one of the things holding us back. Considering the amount of high draft picks on our line they should have been dominant, but in fact the young guys weren't even developing properly. Look for the new OL coach to get guys like Trai Essex, Willie Colon, and Chris Kemoatu to the next level. And look for either Kendell Simmons to either get where he's supposed to be or be released. Cowher & Co. cut their favorite players too much slack, I believe Tomlin will make veterans play better in fear of their jobs.

Jeremy
01-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Damn! Arizona is going to be very good very soon.

Don't count on it. The Bidwell Family will find a way to screw things up out here. Trust me, there's a reason why tha Cardinals always suck.

I guess this makes Russ Grimm the new version of Mean Joe.

MommyDoc
01-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Good ridance! That man was one of the dumbest coaches I have ever seen, now I see why the line regressed this year. He might have been a likable guy to the players but I believe he was one of the things holding us back. Considering the amount of high draft picks on our line they should have been dominant, but in fact the young guys weren't even developing properly. Look for the new OL coach to get guys like Trai Essex, Willie Colon, and Chris Kemoatu to the next level. And look for either Kendell Simmons to either get where he's supposed to be or be released. Cowher & Co. cut their favorite players too much slack, I believe Tomlin will make veterans play better in fear of their jobs.

And you are the most insensitive poster I have ever encountered.....I thouth you had been banned after the whole fat fiasco. Welcome to my ignore list.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
01-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Oh Well

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Grimm may have misread situation
Rooney II: Offer discussed, but not tendered
Wednesday, January 24, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Could a misunderstanding or miscommunication have occurred that led Russ Grimm to believe that he was offered the Steelers' head-coaching job Saturday?

Art Rooney II, the team's president, believes that is possible. A published report declared that Grimm had been offered and accepted the Steelers' head-coaching job Saturday night. The Steelers hired Mike Tomlin as their coach Sunday and publicly introduced him Monday.

Yesterday, Grimm accepted a job as the assistant head coach and offensive line coach of the Arizona Cardinals, the same titles he held with the Steelers. The job reunites him with new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt, the Steelers' former offensive coordinator who had been considered among the leading candidates to replace Bill Cowher, along with Grimm. The Steelers released Grimm from his contract with them after he requested it.

Rooney did not deny that the team discussed an offer with Grimm, but he said no deal was completed.

"Let me put it this way: We made Russ a finalist, and I think at that point we felt he was somebody we seriously were considering for the job," Rooney said yesterday. "I have a tremendous amount of respect for Russ and I do hope he gets a shot to be a head coach; I think he deserves it. I think its fair to say he came close."

Rooney admitted that the Steelers had talked about contract numbers with Grimm's agent, but he said they also talked about numbers with Tomlin's representatives.

As for any such contract offer they might have given to Grimm, Rooney said, "We discussed that it's not going to be final until it's final. It's one of those things I think we made clear it was not final at the time we spoke."

A possible misunderstanding then?

"I think on the agent's part; they tend to think in those kinds of terms," Rooney said. "I think we made it clear at the time we spoke that it was not final, and we were going to speak again on Sunday. I believe the agent was told not to say anything to anybody because of that. I think the league people caused some confusion, which was unfortunate, but that didn't come from us."

The Steelers were furious over reports that surfaced Saturday on SI.com and ESPN that Tomlin had been chosen as their head coach. They insisted they did not pick their coach until Sunday. Rooney blamed "league people" for those reports.

"Let's put it this way, I think I know where both of the leaks came from and I think it's unfortunate when people talk about something when you're dealing with these things," Rooney said, then quoted an old Yogi Berra saying. "It ain't over 'til it's over, and people were claiming something was over when it was not."

Grimm seemed disappointed, but said he wasn't bitter over the way events played out.

"Obviously, it was tough," Grimm told reporters in a conference call yesterday. "I thought I had a shot at it. Whatever the details are and things like that, I respect the decision that was made.

"It's time to move on. I'm thrilled to be in Arizona."

Grimm's agent, Eric Metz, declined comment.

Rooney said it was extremely close between Tomlin and Grimm.

"I think it's fair to say Russ was close. We gave serious consideration to giving Russ the job, and he merited it. That's why we made him a finalist."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07024/756276-66.stm

Justin Otstott
01-24-2007, 10:48 AM
who cares they are gone....anyways!

Dawson63
01-24-2007, 11:03 AM
I wish Whiz and Grimm the best...however we travel to Arizona this coming season...I hope we had their a$$es to them on that day!