PDA

View Full Version : Asante samuel to squeeze blood from the turnip?

tony hipchest
01-23-2007, 06:03 PM
today his agent came out and said "he loves playing for the pats< but they are gonna have to love him back".

john clayton reported his arm tattoo says it all- "get paid", and that the patriots may have to reluctanly franchise him rather than pay him the champ bailey type of money he wants. ($65 million)

with the price of cb's quickly climbing i still hold out hope that ike taylor can prove to be a good value. maybe m. tomlin has some good ideas.

boLT fan
01-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Good god, please come to the Chargers.

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Samuel has definitely developed into one of the better corners in the league. Wonder if the Pats will keep him, because I'm sure he's bound to get some pretty large bids for his services.

hardwork
01-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Asante had a classic show_me_the_money season. While I always liked him, and particularly his ability to give you what you need depending on the team you're playing, I wouldn't give him the huge bucks. If you can step it up during a contract season, you can ease off during a contract fulfilled season. Further, while he's definitely good, he is not one of the elite CBs.

One thing about Ty Law. As much as he liked the money, he NEVER eased off no matter what his contract situation was. That makes Law an honest man in my book. Patriots fans can say what they want about not resigning this player, or that player. But, there is only one player I regret the Patriots not resigning. Ty Law. Note: We haven't beaten the Colts since he left.

tony hipchest
01-23-2007, 08:20 PM
good points, ones partially supported by the extension the steelers gave i. taylor. i pointed out that while the colts pretty much destroyed the cheifs, the only one to have a great game against them was none other than ty law. while letting branch go for a few bucks cost the pats a sb appearance and probably an easy win against grossman, the pats have proven they can pluck a wr out of nowhere. im not so sure it will be that easy to replace asanti. he has been a work in progress, who finally arrived. losing him now would be like losing law or harisson.

hardwork
01-23-2007, 09:41 PM
im not so sure it will be that easy to replace asanti. he has been a work in progress, who finally arrived. losing him now would be like losing law or harisson.

I also noticed Law had another good game against Manning.

"im not so sure it will be that easy to replace Asante. he has been a work in progress, who finally arrived. losing him now would be like losing law or Harrison."

No question they'll try to keep him. What they won't do is get into matching or toping unrealistic money that's out there because the caps gone up, or because some franchise needs to reassure their fan base, or some team thinks he's an elite CB.

Anyway, it will be interesting to watch as will other free agency movement this off season.

BTW, have you heard anything about the Steelers trying to satisfy needs through free agency this year?

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 09:50 PM
No question they'll try to keep him. What they won't do is get into matching or toping unrealistic money that's out there because the caps gone up, or because some franchise needs to reassure their fan base, or some team thinks he's an elite CB.

Which is exactly why the Pats should remain serious SB contenders for years to come.

tony hipchest
01-23-2007, 10:02 PM
BTW, have you heard anything about the Steelers trying to satisfy needs through free agency this year?nothing at all. with all the focus on the head coach, and it seems everyone feels there is needs everywhere BUT the qb, there is no telling what could happen. whatever we need, if its not adressed in f.a. im sure it will be in the draft and vice versa. m. tomlin has his work cut out for him. alot of big decisions to be made right away on many fronts.

one thing about asante. he is young and he is a league leader in a statistical category. both couldnt be said about many pats free agents that have left (or been traded) recently. he could be the one the pats have a legitimate excuse to keep w/o feeling like theyre breaking their code. $30 mil under the cap (allegedly) says they can afford it.

then again, theres always hobbes, gay, maybe a draft pick and a lower tier f.a. who can offset his departure. (not a risk i would take though)

SteelCzar76
01-23-2007, 10:15 PM
IMO Samuel will not remain with the Patriots. I just don't envision them giving him the type of contract that i'm almost sure his agent will come to the table with. Not that he doesn't neccesarily deserve it,.....but i believe Belichick is confident that he could take the neccessary measures to make up for his (Assante) departure.
Is this poor judgement,......we'll see soon enough.

Livinginthe past
01-23-2007, 10:21 PM
IMO Samuel will not remain with the Patriots. I just don't envision them giving him the type of contract that i'm almost sure his agent will come to the table with. Not that he doesn't neccesarily deserve it,.....but i believe Belichick is confident that he could take the neccessary measures to make up for his (Assante) departure.
Is this poor judgement,......we'll see soon enough.

The way that the Patriots share out the cap room, its always with one eye on maximising the talent level across the 53 - thats how we have made these postseason appearances despite lengthy injury lists.

A couple of exceptions to this rule are Richard Seymour and Tom Brady, arguably they are both the best at their position in the NFL.

If we had a young Rodney Harrison on board (or a Troy P) then Belichick/pioli may view them as worth paying the going rate for - I dont think that the Patriots management view Samuel in the same way.

My honest opinion is that its just a case of who he leaves to play for next year and what compensation we get.

NM

Jeremy
01-23-2007, 10:24 PM
The way that the Patriots share out the cap room, its always with one eye on maximising the talent level across the 53 - thats how we have made these postseason appearances despite lengthy injury lists.

A couple of exceptions to this rule are Richard Seymour and Tom Brady, arguably they are both the best at their position in the NFL.

If we had a young Rodney Harrison on board (or a Troy P) then Belichick/pioli may view them as worth paying the going rate for - I dont think that the Patriots management view Samuel in the same way.

My honest opinion is that its just a case of who he leaves to play for next year and what compensation we get.

NM

Do you do a lot of drugs? Because that's the only way you could make an argument for Tom Brady as the best quaterback in the NFL.

Livinginthe past
01-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Do you do a lot of drugs? Because that's the only way you could make an argument for Tom Brady as the best quaterback in the NFL.

Actually,no I dont Jeremy.

Plenty of people outside of strict Patriots fans would agree, you obviously dont - and thats fine.

Who gets your vote?

Peyton Manning?

NM

Jeremy
01-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Actually,no I dont Jeremy.

Plenty of people outside of strict Patriots fans would agree, you obviously dont - and thats fine.

Who gets your vote?

Peyton Manning?

NM

Best quaterbacks in the NFL?

1. Brett Farve. Brady will never be half the player or man that Farve is, period.

2. Matt Hasselbeck

3. Donovan McNabb

4. Tom Brady.

Tell you what, why don't you just stick to taking cheap shots at the Rooneys. That's what you're good at jerk.

SteelCzar76
01-23-2007, 10:35 PM

NM

It is wise to make the overall depth and or quality of the roster as a whole priority. But, with that said Samuel might just be your units 'Troy Polamalu' so to speak (ie barring injury,...inexpendable)
This is where the gamble on Belichick's part comes in IMO.

Livinginthe past
01-23-2007, 10:47 PM
It is wise to make the overall depth and or quality of the roster as a whole priority. But, with that said Samuel might just be your units 'Troy Polamalu' so to speak (ie barring injury,...inexpendable)

Yep, point taken.

Samuel has always been a good CB, but this year (the contract year) he has been excellent.

If he had 2 years of excellent contribution I would have been a little more sold on him, then again - what I think doesnt really matter.

As you say, its BB/Pioli who have to make the choice - its a gamble either way.

NM

hardwork
01-24-2007, 12:00 AM

Yeah, but he isn't Troy Polamalu.

You can't be myopic and value a player by what he is compared to what else you have. That would be a prescription for disaster. You have to value him compared to the total pool of talent in the NFL. After all, that's who you play every Sunday.

SteelCzar76
01-24-2007, 12:13 AM
You have to value him compared to the total pool of talent in the NFL. After all, that's who you play every Sunday.

And with that said,.....exactly how many corners would you rank above Samuel at this very moment ?

Livinginthe past
01-24-2007, 12:31 AM
And with that said,.....exactly how many corners would you rank above Samuel at this very moment ?

Off the top of my head.

Champ Bailey
Chris McAllister
Lito Sheppard

NM

hardwork
01-24-2007, 01:30 AM

At this very moment?

Lets see. It's Wednesday, January 24th, 2007 at 2:28:09 AM EST, UTC/GMT -5.

I'd say 8.2974. Depends on what time DeAngelo Hall went to bed.

I know that response is a little curt, but I feel like you're pressing me here. What more do you want me to say? I think it's apparent what I feel the Patriots won't do in this case. They won't get locked into a long term big money contract with Asante Samuel. They might offer him more then they'd like to for a year, but not long term.

Elvis
01-24-2007, 06:41 AM
I just think that the Patsies should trade him (Asante) to the Steelers for our 3rd or 4th round pick, I mean atleast get something for the kid while you can. He looked washed up this whole season, I wouldnt want him on my team either:wink02: :wink02: :wink02: :jawdrop: :wave:

Big D
01-24-2007, 11:25 AM
My money is you will see ashanti samuel joining Eric Mangini with the jets.

SteelCzar76
01-24-2007, 08:01 PM
At this very moment?

Lets see. It's Wednesday, January 24th, 2007 at 2:28:09 AM EST, UTC/GMT -5.

I'd say 8.2974. Depends on what time DeAngelo Hall went to bed.

I know that response is a little curt, but I feel like you're pressing me here. What more do you want me to say? I think it's apparent what I feel the Patriots won't do in this case. They won't get locked into a long term big money contract with Asante Samuel. They might offer him more then they'd like to for a year, but not long term.

LOL-In all honesty i have no regard for what your opinon is,.....therefore how could i "press" you ? If you had truly thought about the nature of the question i posed to you,.....there would have been no need for you to say anything else.

hardwork
01-24-2007, 09:29 PM
LOL-In all honesty i have no regard for what your opinon is,.....therefore how could i "press" you ? If you had truly thought about the nature of the question i posed to you,.....there would have been no need for you to say anything else.

In other words there no point in taking you seriously. Ok, that saves time.