PDA

View Full Version : Ken Anderson to the Steelers?

CantStop85
01-23-2007, 07:31 PM
QBs huddled in coaching intrigue

By GEOFF HOBSON
January 22, 2007

Updated: 1-23-07, 6 p.m.

Zampese
MOBILE, Ala. - While Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese has received interest from the Miami Dolphins, their most prolific quarterback ever looks to be headed to their greatest rival.

Multiple sources here at the Senior Bowl said Tuesday that Ken Anderson looks to be in line for the Steelers quarterbacks job under new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. That should spice the rivalry that already exists with quarterbacks Carson Palmer of the Bengals and Ben Roethlisberger of the Steelers as Pittsburgh heads into the Mike Tomlin Era.

Anderson has a pretty good reputation coaching quarterbacks...see Akili Smith and Byron Leftwich. Good luck, Ben. :cheers:

stillers4me
01-23-2007, 08:12 PM
I just read that on the Bengals site........should be interesting.

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 08:23 PM
He was a great passer on the Bengals but IMHO did not appear to have much success developing QBs as Jags QB coach (Leftwich and his awkward passing motion are being let go), as evidenced by the fact he was canned at the end of the 2006 season.

Tomlin clearly has no interest in having Whipple hang around. Maybe Ben will listen to a QB who played pro ball in Ohio, but since Ben was around 5 years old when Kenny retired maybe not.

Atlanta Dan
01-23-2007, 08:26 PM
QBs huddled in coaching intrigue

By GEOFF HOBSON
January 22, 2007

Updated: 1-23-07, 6 p.m.

Zampese
MOBILE, Ala. - While Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese has received interest from the Miami Dolphins, their most prolific quarterback ever looks to be headed to their greatest rival.

Multiple sources here at the Senior Bowl said Tuesday that Ken Anderson looks to be in line for the Steelers quarterbacks job under new offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. That should spice the rivalry that already exists with quarterbacks Carson Palmer of the Bengals and Ben Roethlisberger of the Steelers as Pittsburgh heads into the Mike Tomlin Era.

Anderson has a pretty good reputation coaching quarterbacks...see Akili Smith and Byron Leftwich. Good luck, Ben. :cheers:

Sorry I did not initially catch the droll observation about Anderson being responsible for Akili Smith and Leftwich - touche:smile:

fansince'76
01-23-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't know how much effect Anderson would have had on Akili Smith's development - the kid was thrown to the wolves immediately after being drafted on a horrible team.

tony hipchest
01-23-2007, 08:33 PM
Sorry I did not initially catch the droll observation about Anderson being responsible for Akili Smith and Leftwich - touche:smile:
what? david klingler wasnt available?

well, i guess if he becomes a steeler, atleast he wont be asked to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

akili was responsible for akili

rags1336
01-23-2007, 09:08 PM
I hope Tomlin gives Whipple a second look, or at least looks to somone with success at developing a quarterback. Byron Leftwich and Akili Smith are not good examples of success IMO.

SteelerMurf
01-23-2007, 10:15 PM
Lefty is just not that athletic. I don't know how much potential he even has and he can't stay healthy, not the QB coaches fault. A. Smith, forget it he was a lost cause all the way around.

I don't want Whipple back after watching Ben make the same bad mechanic moves game in and game out. Throwing off his back foot, not stepping into it.....Ben is always throwing with total arm. His delivery and form is so inconsistent.

He needs a fresh face looking at his problems.

ajs8207
01-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Lefty is just not that athletic. I don't know how much potential he even has and he can't stay healthy, not the QB coaches fault. A. Smith, forget it he was a lost cause all the way around.

I don't want Whipple back after watching Ben make the same bad mechanic moves game in and game out. Throwing off his back foot, not stepping into it.....Ben is always throwing with total arm. His delivery and form is so inconsistent.

Agreed.

MJ5150
01-23-2007, 11:29 PM
NO! NO! NO! NO!

-Mike

X-Terminator
01-24-2007, 12:22 AM
NO! NO! NO! NO!

-Mike

I concur. Surely they can do better than this guy to coach Ben?

Steel Pit
01-24-2007, 04:39 AM
I concur. Surely they can do better than this guy to coach Ben?

I also agree. Ken Anderson was a BIG-OLE SISSY when he played QB for the Bengals. The older Steelers fans will remember that Anderson typically flopped around on the turf after receiving the modest of hits. He wore a single bar helmet which made him look all the more SISSY. I think that we can do a lot better than Ken "SISSY" Anderson.

Elvis
01-24-2007, 06:00 AM

:tt02: I agree with you on this thread in all measures Ben needs someone to come in fresh and get him going in the right direction no doubt. But who is it gonna be? Does anyone know who the guy was that helped Troy Aikman in Dallas ? was that Dave Wandstedt?:wave:

HometownGal
01-24-2007, 06:50 AM
NO!!!!! Say is aint so!!!! I don't trust anything that once wore black and orange stripes. :dang: :dang: Surely there has to be a better QB coach out there than Anderson. I'll give him his due as a QB - he was pretty good, but there just has to be a viable alternative here.

Buzz05
01-24-2007, 07:30 AM
I dont know who Ken Anderson is or remember him playing. Im too young for that. But i dont know how I feel about a Bungle coming over. Was he the QB coach for Carson as well?

HometownGal
01-24-2007, 07:51 AM
I dont know who Ken Anderson is or remember him playing. Im too young for that. But i dont know how I feel about a Bungle coming over. Was he the QB coach for Carson as well?

Here's the bio on Ken Anderson, Buzz. He still holds several Bungles passing records and was the QBs coach and OC for the Bungles for several seasons until he moved on to the Jags where he was first a WRC and then QBC. He was fired by the Jags this season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Anderson_(football_player)

stillers4me
01-24-2007, 07:57 AM
So far this all heresay......and if he's unemployed right now, then I'm sure he is interested in the opening. Let's trust in the FO again in making the right choice to fine tune our franchise qb. So far, they seem to be doing fine.

stlrtruck
01-24-2007, 08:03 AM
I'd rather go with another unknown coach. One who has been tainted by an organization that SUCKS!

Buzz05
01-24-2007, 08:26 AM
Here's the bio on Ken Anderson, Buzz. He still holds several Bungles passing records and was the QBs coach and OC for the Bungles for several seasons until he moved on to the Jags where he was first a WRC and then QBC. He was fired by the Jags this season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Anderson_(football_player)

Ahh gotcha thanks. I duno I would feel more comfy with a guy that prob. knows how to groom young franchise QB's....IMHO

Infamix
01-24-2007, 08:28 AM

Yes I agree. I can't blame Anderson's for Leftwhichs arm motion, for the most part.

Steeldude
01-24-2007, 09:03 AM
I also agree. Ken Anderson was a BIG-OLE SISSY when he played QB for the Bengals. The older Steelers fans will remember that Anderson typically flopped around on the turf after receiving the modest of hits. He wore a single bar helmet which made him look all the more SISSY. I think that we can do a lot better than Ken "SISSY" Anderson.

kind of like how BR rolls around and gets up limping or holding an appendage when he receives the lightest of touches.

i remember anderson staying in the pocket and taking the hit to complete the pass. anderson was also a fundmentally sound QB. this is something that BR needs badly. he has know idea how to throw.

Hines0wnz
01-24-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure about this one.....I actually have nothing against Ken but.....he was a Bengal at one of the few times in their history that they were respectable. Cant knock on a guy who made it to the SB ya know.

Hines0wnz
01-24-2007, 03:03 PM
kind of like how BR rolls around and gets up limping or holding an appendage when he receives the lightest of touches.

In Ben's defense that was early in the year after losing weight from the bike accident. He was still weak and *cough*playedtooearlytoo*cough* but he appeared much stronger over the last several weeks of the season. That hit he took at Baltimore, no QB would have bounced back up from that one.....except maybe Brett Favre.

Justin Otstott
01-25-2007, 08:34 AM
oh God no...I just noticed this thread....not Ken, why him?

Steeldude
01-25-2007, 08:43 AM
oh God no...I just noticed this thread....not Ken, why him?

probably because anderson was a fundamentally sound QB and BR is far from being fundamentally sound.

Infamix
01-25-2007, 09:04 AM
I guess whip will get the boot and Wisenhunt will take him. As for Ben, hopefully he likes this guy. He was a good qb

Haiku_Dirtt
01-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Bizarre. So far the difference between Ben and Leftwich/Akili is the FACT that we know Ben can win a Super Bowl. Eh em. Can't Stop 85...from doin' crappy self-promotions and missing the playoffs.

The only analogy that comes to mind is that Tomlin is so busy righting the ship that he needs to leave the 'children' (Ben) with the 'grandparents' (Ken).

Haiku_Dirtt
01-25-2007, 11:38 AM
I guess whip will get the boot and Wisenhunt will take him. As for Ben, hopefully he likes this guy. He was a good qb

Since the Summer of 2006 what Ben likes hopefully has been reprioritized down. And if Ben has learned anything since trying to squeeze a Chrysler New Yorker in between the eyes is that he'll do what he is told to do.

And do it well.

DACEB
01-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Since the Summer of 2006 what Ben likes hopefully has been reprioritized, and if Ben has learned anything is that he'll do what he is told to do.

And do it well.

Get in the film room, the weight room and get in touch with your receivers and get some time in with them in the offseason.

Show everyone this past season was a fluke!! :tt02:

Atlanta Dan
01-25-2007, 12:03 PM
It actually appears Ben's conditioning has improved (he looked like a doughboy at times during 2005) but there have been too many comments about Ben's slacker attitude regarding practice and watching film to believe there is no credibility to those claims.

Not particularly wild about the Anderson hire but hard to argue Whipple had a great 2006; Anderson was a fine QB but as far as coaching goes I am unaware of anybody coached by Anderson who has become a top shelf QB.

vasteeler
01-25-2007, 12:52 PM
probably because anderson was a fundamentally sound QB and BR is far from being fundamentally sound.

dude lay off ben, ben is not that far from being fundamentally sound this past year was ONLY his third year Ben will be great:thumbsup:

Infamix
01-25-2007, 02:59 PM
why did my thread on this get deleted?

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-25-2007, 03:42 PM
tomlin appears to be a guy who values coaching relationships...i think he has a feel for ken anderson. and what we don't know is if some things were said in the interview process that might have been hinted to tomlin regarding their desire to see big ben step it up a few notches...maybe the gut feeling among the steeler's brass is that ben needed another voice other than whipple's.

dSharp
01-25-2007, 06:37 PM
One thing to consider is the fact that in Jacksonville, Anderson had two QB's ready to roll at the drop of a hat. Both Leftwich and Garrard could step into a JAX huddle and get that offense going. I'm not going to go into their production of win percentages, because that really isn't my point.

I guess I just get a feeling that Anderson was able to instill alot of confidence in not only the starter Leftwich, but also that backup. By comparison, I don't think you need to give a guy like Charlie Batch alot of rah-rah. He's a veteran, he's played well when he's been called upon, and the team has confidence in him. That's relatively rare as far as I can tell, when comparing other backups around the league.

Meanwhile, Ben is coming off a year that we'd all like to forget, himself most of all, I am sure. If Anderson can concentrate on one player instead of two (Leftwich/Garrard), we may just find that Ben will be a whole lot more comfortable and confident than he has ever been.

My theory on Whipple, while I refuse to discredit him, is the same theory I belive kept Russ Grimm from getting the job as HC. While continuity is key, complacency is a killer. It sounds like a stupid statement, but the fact that Ben was presumably comfortable with Whipple may have or could have in the future, caused whatever message Whipple was/would send to Ben to be a little.. watered down in Ben's mind.

Think about it. As a rookie he was coached up and pumped up and lifted up by everyone that was within shouting range. As a second year player he went to the Super Bowl and won. What new message could Whipple have come up with to fix Ben this time? He'd heard it all before, you can be fairly certain.

I hope this is the right move for Ben. I hope that whatever message that is sent by Anderson, the fact that it is a new voice will help that message resonate in Ben's mind better than one he has been hearing for the last 3 years.

:tt02:

SteelCityMan786
01-25-2007, 06:57 PM

I'm guessing it's because of repeat. I didn't remove it.

DACEB
01-26-2007, 06:41 AM
Ben is coming off a year that we'd all like to forget, himself most of all, I am sure. If Anderson can concentrate on one player instead of two (Leftwich/Garrard), we may just find that Ben will be a whole lot more comfortable and confident than he has ever been.

My theory on Whipple, while I refuse to discredit him, is the same theory I belive kept Russ Grimm from getting the job as HC. While continuity is key, complacency is a killer. It sounds like a stupid statement, but the fact that Ben was presumably comfortable with Whipple may have or could have in the future, caused whatever message Whipple was/would send to Ben to be a little.. watered down in Ben's mind. :tt02:

I kept thinking the same thing through the entire HC hiring process.

I love Ben and I definitely think his best years are yet to come. It bothers me to hear that he is not exactly a student of the game and I hope that is not the case. I do believe in Tomlin and like the fact that he is surrounding himself with experienced assistants. I believe Anderson can help Ben progress in at least the mental preparation aspect of the game.

HometownGal
01-26-2007, 07:07 AM

It wasn't deleted, Infamix - it was merged with this one. See previous page and you'll find your post.

Infamix
01-26-2007, 08:53 AM
It wasn't deleted, Infamix - it was merged with this one. See previous page and you'll find your post.

Oh aright...thanks. Only reason I asked is because this thread was speculation and the one im talknig about confirmed it, I just needed to get a published source.

TackleMeBen
01-26-2007, 12:28 PM
I think this addition to the staff will help Ben be better this season. I mean really, he cant get much worse?

fansince'76
01-26-2007, 12:30 PM
I think this addition to the staff will help Ben be better this season. I mean really, he cant get much worse?

Two words for you: Kordell Stewart. I'm willing to give Ben a pass for one bad year, especially considering that he almost lost his life over the last offseason.

Infamix
01-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Two words for you: Kordell Stewart. I'm willing to give Ben a pass for one bad year, especially considering that he almost lost his life over the last offseason.

What bothers me about Ben is he shows glimpses of his old self, but he still tends to shy away from contact. Last season, he would step into his throws even if pressure was in his face.

stlrtruck
01-26-2007, 02:34 PM
But I think with this off-season, he'll be back - refreshed, renewed, and pushed to do better by Tomlin.