PDA

View Full Version : Is Cowher still the man for the job...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2005, 12:32 AM
The longest active tenured head coach w/ the same team in the league. Division titles, AFC champion, play off wins, coaching countless pro bowlers and assistant coaches who left to become corridnators or HC's themselves.

Is he still your guy for the Steelers, or is new blook in order when he contract is up?

pitt
08-12-2005, 01:18 AM
I would like to see Cower here for a long time yet.

Prosdo
08-12-2005, 01:20 AM
I still like Cowher. I do believe he needs to change it up in the playoffs, but that is really my only compliant when it comes to him. To me he is a great leader and can really motivate his players. I think he is one of the best coaches going and I think he fits well here in Pittsburgh.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-12-2005, 01:55 AM
I think up until last season, his fiery tactics had seemed to taper off some..whether it was because he thought the players weren't responding to them as well as they used too, or just a chance of pace, or maybe just getting older had calmed him down alittle...but then last year, man was he ever back w/ a vengance. Spit flying rants, tough camps, hard nosed approach. We'll see how things go this year.

Steel Fury
08-12-2005, 07:21 AM
This was an argument that my father-in-law and I had before last season. He wanted him to go and I kept saying no.Cowher is the man for a team like Pittsburgh. I shudder to think what we would do with a John Gruden type running the show. We've made the playoffs consistenly with Cowher, we don't need anything else.

Rush58
08-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Cowher's a good coach, but I am not sure I want him in the postseason. I honestly wouldn't mind Dick Lebeau as head coach. I know he didn't do well with the Bengals, but come on... they are the "Bengals." :D

Justin Otstott
08-12-2005, 09:18 AM
I love Cowher and yes he is still tha man! I could not picture any other coach coaching this Steeler team!!!

bigbensgirl7
08-12-2005, 10:25 AM
I think up until last season, his fiery tactics had seemed to taper off some..whether it was because he thought the players weren't responding to them as well as they used too, or just a chance of pace, or maybe just getting older had calmed him down alittle...but then last year, man was he ever back w/ a vengance. Spit flying rants, tough camps, hard nosed approach. We'll see how things go this year.
I agree Blitz! Before last year, I thought he had kindof lost that passion. The only gripe I have about him is his conservative play calling in the playoffs. He needs to take some chance and put faith in the team that made it that far.
I think he has to realize that by now and I hope that if we are in the playoffs next year, he changes up everything.

Justin Otstott
08-12-2005, 10:28 AM
^ I agree, needs to give the team more faith in the Playoffs...

RichmondVA
08-12-2005, 11:38 AM
I'd like a competitive team year end year out. Cowher gives us that - Keep him.

However, all those free trips to coach the AFC team in the Pro Bowl for loosing the AFC Championship games weighs heavy. How about the Steelers offering to flip the bill for Cowher's family to go to Hawaii after winning the Superbowl?

LambertIsGod58
08-12-2005, 12:30 PM
The only way to let Cowher go is to bring back Chuck Noll....

Bamataco1
08-12-2005, 12:49 PM
I disagree with most. I feel Cowher should have been fired several years ago. He has proven that he is a second tier coach. Another Marty Shotenhiemeror Dan reeves a guy that can almost get the job done but not quite take it all the way. I say fire him as soon as possible he has had more chances than a cat whichis suppose to have 9 lives. He has had every thing that he has asked for from the frnchise and still hasn't delivered. Time for a change.

SteelersNation7
08-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Is not a great playoff coach. I think Cowher has taken the Steelers as far as their going to go.

clevestinks
08-12-2005, 04:21 PM
This my friends is a coach that just went 15-1 in the regular season. Yes he has stumbled in the playoffs. But come on this isn`t as easy as it looks. Some teams don`t even make the playoffs that often. Cowher never has that many down years back to back. Cleveland has played 1 playoff game in the last 12 years. Cincy hasn`t made the playoffs in 15+. Correct me if I`m wrong wasn`t it N.O. that has never won a playoff game?? I want top win as bad as anybody. Thing is 15-1 didn`t mean we were the best team last year. The Pats were still the best team all year. They already knew how to win. We destroyed them in the regular season, but that meant nothing to them. They did adjust to our strengths, and took advantage of our weaknesses. We gave it all we had, we werent able to adjust because thats all we had. A 15-1 coach should not have to look over his shoulder. If we were to let him go , teams would be interviewing him in a matter of seconds. Cowher really does want to win, and he will. I`m sure when he does he will cry like a baby. He is passionate about the Steelers, this is his home. He grew up a Steeler. And I will probably cry right along with him.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-12-2005, 04:30 PM
I like Cowher.He'd have a SB ring if it wasn't for Neil O'Choker.

He'll get a ring,if not a few rings.He's the right man for the job IMHO.

Stlrs4Life
08-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Yes he is. Who would we rather have?

Rush58
08-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Yes he is. Who would we rather have?

http://www.itsalreadysigned4u.com/shop/media/images/product_category/FRT-08PHNOL420.jpg :D

pitt
08-13-2005, 12:32 AM
I like Cowher.He'd have a SB ring if it wasn't for Neil O'Choker.

He'll get a ring,if not a few rings.He's the right man for the job IMHO.

Why did you have to ruin my night by mentioning O'Donnel. Aren't the flashbacks we have to live with enough?

BlitzburghRockCity
08-13-2005, 12:38 AM
oh the horror, the pain... Damn its been awhile since I thought of that. I blocked it out of mind..but now that you bring it up, Im gonna have nightmares of Larry Browns 2 gift interceptions that any pee wee league backup could have caught and ran in!!!

TasmanianTroy271
08-13-2005, 01:43 AM
I think Cowher personifies the steelers just as much as Jerome Bettis or Hines Ward. One of my favorite things to do while watching the steelers is when a bum call is made, trying to figure out which exploitives Cowher is yelling at the ref's. Watching him M-F, as we call it, is great. Plus their's the fact that we've never had 2 bad years in a row. What people say about him not being able to win it isnt true. I mean, towards the end of the year, last year, the odds were stacked against us. Ben was tired, and we were going up against one of the best line-ups in recent NFL history. I don't think we'll be dropping Cowher until he at least lets us down 2 years in a row. But then again, that's just my take.

LONG LIVE THE CHIN

...sorry...

SteelersNation7
08-13-2005, 01:06 PM
OK what's your excuss for Cowher's team losing the Championship game against the LESS talented Chargers AT HOME???? There is NONE!
His in ability to adapt game plans when needed (in the big game) is the reason why the Steelers loose.

clevestinks
08-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Bottom line is Players win Games. You can`t hang Cowher. Like I said there are many teams who would die to have as many good seasons as Cowher coached teams have had. Going into last season who would have thought Cowher would lead his team from 6-10. To a 15-1 record?

VaDave
08-13-2005, 09:08 PM
I love Cowher's piss and vineger approach to coaching. Something that was decidedly missing from the AFC Championship game last year for some reason. Still, while the second best coach we've had here, hasn't had quite the talent that Emperor Noll had. So, for all you guys that want to run him out of town on a rail, cut him a break.

One or two players can make a genuis out of you. Look what Rice and Montana did for Bill Walsh, or Elway did for Shanahan, or, Aikman & Emitt Smith did for Johnson and Switzer (OK, nobody said Switzer was a genius, but I think you get my point).

ironcitychef
08-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Yes, cause he keeps changing his ability to reach his philosophy of run the ball and play defense. Since 92 he has taken us to 5 AFC championship games and 1 SB. Plenty of coaches would love that. During that time he has also had 5 different QB's and 5 different RB's, plus plenty of coaching changes. You mix up your team every other year and see how well you do...

clevestinks
08-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Yes, cause he keeps changing his ability to reach his philosophy of run the ball and play defense. Since 92 he has taken us to 5 AFC championship games and 1 SB. Plenty of coaches would love that. During that time he has also had 5 different QB's and 5 different RB's, plus plenty of coaching changes. You mix up your team every other year and see how well you do...

Great points ICC, no team has lost more coordinators than him. His knack for choosing the right coordinators to put us back on top year after year is worth every cent we pay him.

CowherLover
08-14-2005, 04:57 PM
The longest active tenured head coach w/ the same team in the league. Division titles, AFC champion, play off wins, coaching countless pro bowlers and assistant coaches who left to become corridnators or HC's themselves.

Is he still your guy for the Steelers, or is new blook in order when he contract is up?

I just don't where this topic comes from. When I look around the league at all of the coaches, with AFC and NFC, I feel fortunate as hell that we have Cowher. That probably shouldn't come as a big surprise considering my screen name. Speaking objectively, I think his spirit and ability to create the atmosphere to win year in and year out and his loyalty to the organization and the fans and the intestinal fortitude to keep this program rolling into winning seasons says enough for me. I hope he's here until the end of his coaching career. As long as he's spitting on people on the sidelines I want him to be wearing our colors!

LambertIsGod58
08-14-2005, 05:10 PM
CowherLover, you couldn't be more right

SteelersNation7
08-14-2005, 08:36 PM
I dont dislike him but he sure made some great calls in the championship game last year against the Pats...running on 1st and 2nd downs...putting a rookie QB in third and long situations...against the best NFL team in a decade....Brilliant moves...

24seven
08-15-2005, 04:03 AM
I dont dislike him but he sure made some great calls in the championship game last year against the Pats...running on 1st and 2nd downs...putting a rookie QB in third and long situations...against the best NFL team in a decade....Brilliant moves...

Why not?? Ben did perfectly fine the first time they played with basically the same game plan. The reason I believe we choke in the playoffs is due to the players and the players only.. Any given play can go 2 ways.. backwards or forwards. It was obvious from the get go that Ben had the playoff jitters even in the Jets game.. He just wasn't throwing like he had in previous games. Same goes for the backs.. and the O line.. No one was doing there job like they HAD been doing and to tell you the truth, i think N.E. just wanted it more.. There was no fire coming from the Steelers and no amount of spit flyin is gonna change that.. Even in the Kordell era, or Maddox, or O'neil, alot of the times the QB would just fail at getting the ball to the guys and down the tubes we went.. Cower has gotten us to the playoffs damn near every year he's been here so I know his leadership is above and beyond what the rest of the NFL teams have had to go with. I for one would sign him to a lifetime contract for as long as he wants. I have friends that aren't even Steelers fans but LOVE Cower and his intensity. They would LOVE to have a coach with his fire and determination.. We'd be smart to never let that go.. In the end... Every play can result in a touchdown if executed correctly so previous failures can only be the result of 11 things... the players on the field.....

BigBen2WardPITT
08-15-2005, 10:06 AM
this thread should b a joke. He is the longest tenured coach because he MAKES THE PLAYOFFS. He gets it done. WE cannot fire a coach who gets us to the playoffs a whole lot (dont have any exact amazing playoff stats). other then us being like 29 and 10 sense the steelers entered the league way back.

A few years aho, Cowher needed to be fired. When we needed a QB, he waited, waited, waited, waited, waited, waited. Until FINALLY he got BigBen. We have gotten so LUCKY with MAddox, and then BigBen coming is so quicly and playing well. But during the Stewart days, i was so angry. We could have gotten pennington, but then again cowher made a good move there because taht kid is mediocre and injury prone. Then with RBs we picked up Staley which i thought was an ok move. However, he is injury prone and he is only OK in my opinion. I wanted an EXPLOSIVE RB. I am hoping that in the 06 draft we use our first pick to get a RB, but from past history, that would be crazy. Then in the second round, WR. Then in third, CB. Then in 4th, oline.

THERE U GO. I dont think Cowher fills his holes on the team very well, even though thats not all him, but u cant get rid of him, he gets us to the playoffs almost every year!

But then there is the other argument, that our division hasnt had any real competition. Which is partly true. The Browns for the most part have sucked, the Bengals FOR THE MOST PART jave sucked, and the Ravens are on and off. This year the Ravens and Bengals and Browns are all coming up now. So the next few years will be a real test. And i hope Rooney notices that he needs to make some moves to make our team better.

I feel like we can always get to the playoffs, even the AFC Championship, however, i wish we could take the next step, and i felt this year was are chance more then ever! With the pats losing alot of guys, we have a chance! If we can beat the Colts, we are superbowl contenders in my mind! However we didn't go out and get anything. But its hard to complain when the team makes the playoffs all the time.

Steelyasoul007
08-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Cowher should remain the head coach, period. He's a true motivator and leader. I believe our champ games losses were more of an execution problem than a coaching issue. Just my opinion