PDA

View Full Version : Scaled down version of Superbowl XIII last night on ESPN2

sumo
01-25-2007, 02:41 PM
I know there were threads about SB XIII on the NFL channel - but last night late - ESPN2 showed a scaled down version of the game with all the key plays and a ton of commentary by all the players - anybody else see this? fascinating stuff - here we are at least 20-25 yrs later (not sure when the documentary was made) and all of the Cowboys are still complaining - Cliff Harris, Charlie Waters and Benny Barnes - saying stuff like "on Franco's TD run we were trying to get Bradshaw to make a false read, but he was too stupid to recognize it.." and"have you ever seen a worse call then the PI on Benny Barnes?" - all this crap decades later still coming out - "we were robbed!" "if we would have won that game, we would have at least 6 more players in the HOF..." and Thomas Henderson in between sniffs .."I played one of my best games ever in SB XIII - I have nothing to be ashamed of...I'm not gonna apologize for anything..." the best quotes of course came from the Steelers

Wagner: "they should be glad Benny Barnes got called for PI - if he doesn't interfere with Swann, then Swann scores easily on that play.." and "lose to the Cowboys in the Superbowl (laughing) - we never considered it a possibility.."

Swann: "they (Cowboys) just never understood what it takes to step up and make big plays when the game is on the line...that's why they keep talking all these years later..."

Bradshaw's at the very end of the show:

"I never lost to Dallas ever - Super Bowls or regular season - we always kicked their butts and they need to get over it...I'm tired of quietly listening to all their crap over the years.."

Atlanta Dan
01-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Had seen it before - sorry I missed it last night

That show is part of the NFL Films Greatest Games Ever Played series where a 90 minute breakdown is done with lots of game footage + player interviews. This program also is on one of the SB DVDs last year (I forget if it is the rebroadcasts of the 4 games DVD or the SB champs DVD) but without the commentry that runs after the game footage ends.

As you said, the commentary at the end of the program is priceless - Charlie Waters claiming they were denied their place in history and are unappreciated because of the "close" loss (it was 35-17 with about 5 minutes to go before the Steelers slacked off) and then Dwight White and Bradshaw firing back that the Cryboys need to get over themselves - good times!

Looking forward to a Greatest Games Ever breakdown in the next several years of last year's Colts-Steelers playoff game, although last Sunday's New England-Colts game probably will get the treatment first.

sumo
01-25-2007, 04:01 PM
Had seen it before - sorry I missed it last night

That show is part of the NFL Films Greatest Games Ever Played series where a 90 minute breakdown is done with lots of game footage + player interviews. This program also is on one of the SB DVDs last year (I forget if it is the rebroadcasts of the 4 games DVD or the SB champs DVD) but without the commentry that runs after the game footage ends.

As you said, the commentary at the end of the program is priceless - Charlie Waters claiming they were denied their place in history and are unappreciated because of the "close" loss (it was 35-17 with about 5 minutes to go before the Steelers slacked off) and then Dwight White and Bradshaw firing back that the Cryboys need to get over themselves - good times!

Looking forward to a Greatest Games Ever breakdown in the next several years of last year's Colts-Steelers playoff game, although last Sunday's New England-Colts game probably will get the treatment first.

when was it made? - it looked pretty recent because all of the explayers are showing some old age

Joey Porter #55
01-25-2007, 08:33 PM
They need to get themselves and their chewing tobbaco off the television.:dang:

Atlanta Dan
01-25-2007, 08:51 PM
when was it made? - it looked pretty recent because all of the explayers are showing some old age

I first saw it on ESPN around a year ago - I do not believe it was made any earlier than 2004 - seeing as those players are now anywhere from mid-50s to early-60s the age is definitely starting to show.

To go somewhat off topic, next videos to catch in the next 10 days are the NFL Network America's Team one hour broadcasts of the 1975 Steelers and 1978 Steelers, both of which made the top 10 SB teams. Unfortunately, NFL Network will not release the final rankings in advance so who knows when the two broadcats will run initially - my bet is one of the two 70s teams will be ranked somehere around 7-10 and the other from 3-5. I hope they got Noll to participate.

Not that I will agree with the choice, but I think either the '84 49ers or '85 bears will be #1.

sumo
01-26-2007, 12:36 PM
I first saw it on ESPN around a year ago - I do not believe it was made any earlier than 2004 - seeing as those players are now anywhere from mid-50s to early-60s the age is definitely starting to show.

To go somewhat off topic, next videos to catch in the next 10 days are the NFL Network America's Team one hour broadcasts of the 1975 Steelers and 1978 Steelers, both of which made the top 10 SB teams. Unfortunately, NFL Network will not release the final rankings in advance so who knows when the two broadcats will run initially - my bet is one of the two 70s teams will be ranked somehere around 7-10 and the other from 3-5. I hope they got Noll to participate.

Not that I will agree with the choice, but I think either the '84 49ers or '85 bears will be #1.

I'm gonna have to break down and get a dish - it seems like all the cool NFL shows will eventually end up on the NFL network and the ESPNs will get the left-overs...