PDA

View Full Version : Please install field turf

steel-EERS
01-25-2007, 10:53 PM
with a new coach can we get rid of the crappy natural surface that is annialated by november each year.

Borski
01-25-2007, 10:57 PM
this or we need a better way to maintain what we got

SteelCityMan786
01-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Once again, The Rooney's know what football was made to be played on. And it's grass.

24seven
01-25-2007, 11:48 PM
grass yes.. but take care of it for gods sakes.. us and New England have the worst lookin fields in the league.. It does have a roughness to it though that is kinda cool.. butI hate when were slippin and slidin on it..

ajs8207
01-26-2007, 12:03 AM
New England just got field turf in the middle of this season.

Borski
01-26-2007, 12:06 AM
I'd like it to be grass, but if we cant find a way to take care of the grass we have than we need to look at other options

rags1336
01-26-2007, 02:30 AM
The grass doesn't bother me as much as not having the symbol in the middle of the feild and having those stupid lines in the endzone like its the 1940's. I don't know if anyone remembers this or not but a few years back there were wildfires burning in San Diego, and a lot of people had to live in the chargers stadium, so Arizona let San Diego play a home game in their stadium, and even had chargers symbols painted in the endzones!! That was with only a few days preperation. Heinz feild is a pro stadium where in which two teams share it perminantly. They should find some way to be able to share it with Pitt and each have their symbols on the feild.

mattss
01-26-2007, 02:47 AM
The grass doesn't bother me as much as not having the symbol in the middle of the feild and having those stupid lines in the endzone like its the 1940's. I don't know if anyone remembers this or not but a few years back there were wildfires burning in San Diego, and a lot of people had to live in the chargers stadium, so Arizona let San Diego play a home game in their stadium, and even had chargers symbols painted in the endzones!! That was with only a few days preperation. Heinz feild is a pro stadium where in which two teams share it perminantly. They should find some way to be able to share it with Pitt and each have their symbols on the feild.

the symbol in the middle yes, but I kinda like the hashes in the end zones as long as its grass..if field turf HAAAD to be put in then something in the endzone would be needed

X-Terminator
01-26-2007, 04:32 AM
Look, I know some of you guys are dead-set against anything except grass fields, but unless the Rooneys find a way to maintain the crap they have now or find a natural surface that can withstand the punishment it takes, then they need to go to an artificial grass like FieldTurf or the stuff they use in Baltimore. And it isn't just the Steelers and Panthers playing there that chews up the grass, but also the high school championship games and several concerts/events during the summer that also takes it's toll on the field. It is downright embarrassing to watch Steelers home games being played on a surface that looks worse than many high school grass fields. What's it going to take for them to change it, a season-ending knee injury to Ben or Hines or Troy or Willie? I'm a traditionalist like you guys are, but sometimes you just have to accept the fact that you can't grow good grass everywhere.

SteelCityMan786
01-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Look, I know some of you guys are dead-set against anything except grass fields, but unless the Rooneys find a way to maintain the crap they have now or find a natural surface that can withstand the punishment it takes, then they need to go to an artificial grass like FieldTurf or the stuff they use in Baltimore. And it isn't just the Steelers and Panthers playing there that chews up the grass, but also the high school championship games and several concerts/events during the summer that also takes it's toll on the field. It is downright embarrassing to watch Steelers home games being played on a surface that looks worse than many high school grass fields. What's it going to take for them to change it, a season-ending knee injury to Ben or Hines or Troy or Willie? I'm a traditionalist like you guys are, but sometimes you just have to accept the fact that you can't grow good grass everywhere.

Don't they hold all the concerts on the Scoreboard End?????

X-Terminator
01-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Don't they hold all the concerts on the Scoreboard End?????

Yeah they do. But since they have seating on the field, they have to cover it up with something hard, which along with 4,000 people walking around and sitting in the seats, does not help the grass surface one bit. Plus, let's not forget the annual Rib Cook-Off they hold there for an entire weekend during the summer, where again the field is covered so that people can walk around on it.

Sorry, but you're going to have to give up the "grass is best" mentality if they are unable to find a suitable grass to withstand all of that punishment. There is a reason why they don't allow anyone near the grass at PNC Park or hold a lot of events on the field there, and it ain't strictly because the Nuttings aren't community-friendly.

stlrtruck
01-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Let's not forget they also share the field with the Pitt Panthers! Another game to tear at the field.

I love the grass field but, XT is right, you've got to find something better if you are going to put the field under that much abuse!

memphissteelergirl
01-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Let's not forget they also share the field with the Pitt Panthers! Another game to tear at the field.

I love the grass field but, XT is right, you've got to find something better if you are going to put the field under that much abuse!

Good point about sharing with Pitt...and correct me if I am wrong but aren't high school playoff games played there also?

Yeah something has to be done about that...not only does it just look bad but it's potentially dangerous for the players.

stlrtruck
01-26-2007, 10:21 AM
Good point about sharing with Pitt...and correct me if I am wrong but aren't high school playoff games played there also?

Yeah something has to be done about that...not only does it just look bad but it's potentially dangerous for the players.

I'm certain you are correct about the high school playoffs too. That's a lot of traffic on a field.

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2007, 12:06 PM
I think it unfortunately is "old school" teams not willing to bend to new field technology.

The Bears blew around $75,000 (and are in a dispute with the Chicago Parks Dept. regarding who pays for it) for that lovely two tone resodding job both teams were slipping and sliding on last Sunday in the NFC Championship.

If the Steelers are willing to upgrade the scorebaord they should be willing to upgrade the field.

Maybe Rendell can put together a "Plan B" to pay for a new field since I do think this is a $$$ issue.

X-Terminator
01-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I think it unfortunately is "old school" teams not willing to bend to new field technology.

The Bears blew around $75,000 (and are in a dispute with the Chicago Parks Dept. regarding who pays for it) for that lovely two tone resodding job both teams were slipping and sliding on last Sunday in the NFC Championship.

If the Steelers are willing to upgrade the scorebaord they should be willing to upgrade the field.

Maybe Rendell can put together a "Plan B" to pay for a new field since I do think this is a $$$ issue.

The Steelers would be responsible for any upgrades to the stadium - it's written into the lease. It cost them over a million bucks to put the DD GrassMaster system in, and I guess they want to get every last nickel out of it before they decide to tear it up. Unfortunately, they are putting players at risk by keeping that surface, and not simply their own. You don't think the parents of a high school player would try to sue the Steelers if he gets hurt as a result of the poor field conditions?

X-Terminator
01-26-2007, 12:14 PM
I'm certain you are correct about the high school playoffs too. That's a lot of traffic on a field.

Yes, you are correct - the high school championship games are played there and all on the same day in late November, when the field is already in horrible shape from the Steelers and Panthers having played at least 12 combined games there by that point.

Justin Otstott
01-26-2007, 12:25 PM
I say tear the crap up and give us turf!!!

SCSTILLER
01-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Another correct me if I am wrong post! But isn't the grass planted into a sand base. It looks like that on TV. I am in South Carolina (sand frikin everywhere) and the grass that is grown over sand does not hold up as well as on dirt. In my house I bought I had sand under the grass and it was getting torn up just by the dog running on it. I then put down real dirt and sod and it is so much stronger. I think that if the field is sand based that could be a huge problem. But no matter what, I am a huge fan of grass playing surfaces. It is the way football was meant to be played.

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2007, 12:57 PM
I think the problem is when you resod in the Northeast and Midwest after Halloween the grass cannot take root. In addition to the Steelers cow pasture and the Bears mess, Ohio State resodded the field before the Michigan game and both sides were slipping on that turf.

I am old enough to remember in pre-artificial turfs days a lot of teams just ended up playing on dirt or mud by December with no effort to resod the field until the next season.
The return to grass outside the Sun Belt (after the rotten original generation of artificial turfs was abandoned) ignores both the realities of what grows in the winter and that the game is based a lot more on bursts of speed and cutting than it was when teams played on lousy natural fields in the 50s and 60s.

P.S. - I was joking about Rendell figuring out how to pay for the field, even though pro sports teams in Pittsburgh appear to think the answer to every funding issue is to get the taxpayers to foot the bill.

stlrtruck
01-26-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm all for "Old School" grass, dirt, and mud days! But then again, asking for that, is like asking QBs to take a hit these days. It ain't gonna happen!

plenewken
01-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Hope you're right. Thsi field is an embarrassment.