PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys' Search Drawing Scrutiny Over Diversity Issues

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Washington Post reporter Mark Maske has this story up, as excerpted below:

The league officials in charge of monitoring and enforcing the NFL's diversity rules when it comes to head coaching interviews are paying close attention to the coaching search being conducted by Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones.

When Jones hired Bill Parcells as his coach the last time he conducted a search, he fulfilled the rule by interviewing Dennis Green by telephone. Jones was not disciplined for that but was criticized for violating the spirit of the rule that requires each team with a head coaching vacancy to interview at least one minority candidate. The interviews are supposed to be face-to-face.

Jones began this search Tuesday by interviewing Cowboys assistant coaches Todd Haley, Tony Sparano and Todd Bowles. None is regarded as a legitimate candidate for the job. Bowles is black, so Jones technically has fulfilled the rule. But people close to the process say that officials in the league associated with the diversity issue would like to see Jones interview at least one other minority candidate who might be regarded as a more serious candidate for the job.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/nflinsider/

So Jones needs to interview a "serious" minority HC candidate even if Jones will not "seriously" consider hiring the minority HCcandidiate? Further evidence that the Rooney Rule is the triumph of form over substance.

Maybe Jones figured with Tomlin hired the Rooney Rule can be ignored until next hiring season.

stlrtruck
01-26-2007, 12:44 PM
Look, the man signed TO, so you can't expect much from him.

boLT fan
01-26-2007, 12:45 PM
The Roony Rule is so stupid. All it does is promote seperation. :globe:

stlrtruck
01-26-2007, 01:06 PM

How do you figure?

Hines0wnz
01-26-2007, 11:33 PM
Jones is the dumbest owner ever. He could have won about 7 SBs by now had he not driven Jimmy Johnson away. Karma has been a surly biotch to him.

stillers4me
01-27-2007, 06:54 AM

As long as there is a "rule", it means there is a reason for it. There shouldn't be a need for a "rule". All of us know that an African-American (or whatever is the politically correct word these days) can be just as qualified as a white person to coach a team (or any other job for that matter). The fact that there is a "rule" in place shows that we, as a society, have a long way to go. I think Mike Tomlin summed it up very well when talking about Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy. He was happy for the MEN. Period. And so am I.

Honestly, I think it is the media that is making all the big deal about it. Most people, if they are like me, looked at the candidates, noticed one was black, and then went on to read about the qualifications of each and hoped the Rooneys would make the right choice for the success of the team. If Tomlin had not gotten the job, it would have been because one of the others was more qualified, not because he was black. At least I would hope it works that way.

Atlanta Dan
01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Hall of Famer Singletary next to interview with Cowboys

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9962021

I suppose Jones could offer the HC job to Singletary but this looks like Jones got the memo from the league office on Rooney Rule requirements and is going forward with a pro forma minority candidate interview.

tony hipchest
01-29-2007, 07:01 PM
it appears that norv turner is the front runner to this point. good move by frisco to offer him a raise in order to retain him.

Godfather
01-30-2007, 08:31 PM
Lovie Smith is the best example of the rule working. Chicago gave him a sham interview so they could offer $aban the job. $aban ended up turning them down, but Lovie impressed them, got the job, and took them to the Super Bowl.

The Rooney Rule has succeeded in breaking up the good ole boy network, and now a team looking for someone with previous HC experience can choose from several black candidates. Dungy, Green, and Edwards have been with two different teams. About a third of the league has had a black HC at one time or another (including current coaches). Quite an improvement from when Marvin Lewis couldn't get an interview.

tony hipchest
01-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Lovie Smith is the best example of the rule working. Chicago gave him a sham interview so they could offer $aban the job. $aban ended up turning them down, but Lovie impressed them, got the job, and took them to the Super Bowl.

The Rooney Rule has succeeded in breaking up the good ole boy network, and now a team looking for someone with previous HC experience can choose from several black candidates. Dungy, Green, and Edwards have been with two different teams. About a third of the league has had a black HC at one time or another (including current coaches). Quite an improvement from when Marvin Lewis couldn't get an interview.well said, and exactly why the rooney rule is in place. m. tomlin was a longshot before he entered his interviews with the steelers.

m. singletary will be interviewing with the cowboys and all indications are he will be an HC sooner than later (probably in the next year or 2)

Newzfoxjr
01-31-2007, 08:57 AM
He met with the Cowboys for eight hours. @_@

That's a long time.

tony hipchest
01-31-2007, 05:03 PM
cowboys wont hire a coach until after the superbowl. they are interrested in ron rivera.

-espn

SteelCzar76
01-31-2007, 06:33 PM
cowboys wont hire a coach until after the superbowl. they are interrested in ron rivera.

-espn

I wonder if this has anything to do with the South's performance (or better,....lack thereof) in the Senior Bowl ? The 'Rooney rule' is very effective in regards to creating opportunities. But at the end of the day,....the most qualified and or 'better man' should be given the job. I don't think it's a 'good look' to become too 'P.C' so to speak. Therefore i understand the Cowboy's desire to explore all options.

Elvis
02-01-2007, 12:47 PM
:sofunny: Raiders Organization
-VS-
:cheer: Cowboys Organization
The cowboys are starting to remind me so much of the raiders it isnt even funny anymore. Maybe thier owners should get married:jawdrop: :sofunny: :sofunny: :flap: :cheer: :wave: