PDA

View Full Version : New Special Teams Coach Hired.......

stillers4me
01-26-2007, 07:47 PM
...just found this is my e-mail google alerts........anybody know anything about this guy??

Ligashesky hired by Steelers

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
Friday, Jan. 26 2007

Bob Ligashesky didn't stay unemployed for long.

Just one day after head coach Scott Linehan confirmed that Ligashesky would not
return to the Rams for the 2007 season, Ligashesky was hired as special teams
coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Ligashesky, 44, is a Pittsburgh native who played football at Indiana (Pa.)
University and coached at the University of Pittsburgh from 2000-03.

He replaces Kevin Spencer, who was hired as special teams coach by new Arizona
Cardinals coach and former Steelers assistant Ken Whisenhunt.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-26-2007, 08:30 PM
I just know the Rams special teams sucked ass. So did the Steelers this year. But I will wait to judge the new coach until I see how the Steelers special teams play this year.

Stlrs4Life
01-26-2007, 08:37 PM
More on Ligashesky:

itle Special Teams
NFL Exp 3 years
With Rams 2 years

Coaching Highlights:
Ligashesky will enter his second season as the Rams’ special teams coach in 2006. Under Ligashesky, the Rams’ special teams unit in 2005 saw its first kickoff return for a touchdown since 2000, as Chris Johnson returned the opening kickoff 99 yards for the score on Oct. 9 against Seattle. 2005 also marked the third time since the Rams moved to St. Louis that the club had at least two blocked kicks in a season, as Drew Wahlroos blocked a punt vs. Jacksonville on Oct. 30 and Tyoka Jackson blocked a field goal vs. New Orleans on Oct. 23. Ligashesky’s unit also saw the Rams force and recover fumbles on special teams for the first time since 2000.
Ligashesky (pronounced lig-a-SHES-kee) joined the Rams in 2005 after serving as the assistant special teams coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2004, his first season in the NFL. Ligashesky helped the Jaguars’ special teams unit finish the 2004 season ranked sixth in the AFC (10th in the NFL) in punt return average with 9.6 yards per return, and third in the AFC (sixth in the NFL) in kickoff return average defense, allowing only 19.9 yards per opponent return. Jacksonville was also seventh in the AFC (10th in the NFL) in gross punting average with 42.8 yards per return, and sixth in the AFC (10th in the NFL) in net punting average allowed.
Ligashesky has 20 years of coaching experience, 19 collegiately coaching tight ends, linebackers, and special teams. He served as the tight ends coach and special teams coordinator at the University of Pittsburgh from 2000-03, after spending the previous nine seasons (1991-99) at Bowling Green, coaching linebackers and special teams. Ligashesky was promoted to assistant head coach prior to the 1999 season with the Falcons.
Prior to Bowling Green, he coached outside linebackers and worked with the special teams units at Kent State for two years (1989-90), and was a graduate assistant at Arizona State from 1986-88, working with the outside linebackers and defensive line. Ligashesky began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Wake Forest in 1985. Ligashesky played defensive back at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, and graduated from IUP in 1985 with a degree in exercise science. A native of Pittsburgh, PA, he is married to Shelley and resides in St. Louis, MO.

t-sizzlez
01-26-2007, 10:06 PM
never heard of him..buy anyone must be an upgrade....right?

SteelerMurf
01-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Ligashesky was promoted to assistant head coach prior to the 1999 season with the Falcons.

Wow, I gotta say he must be a good coach to hold that title. How many special teams coaches can claim that?

As far as the Rams go, that team didn't even have starting defensive players who could tackle let alone special teams guys that can run and tackle.

tony hipchest
01-26-2007, 10:36 PM
never heard of him..buy anyone must be an upgrade....right?it depends. getting rid of spencer could be a case of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. it depends if you blame spenser for the special tams shortcomings or cowher. the consensus during the season was that it was all cowhers fault. getting rid of cowher shouldve solved the problem then.

spencer was a ST coach of the year. had an 15-1 season, and then ST coach of a sb winner. i doubt this new guy is any better.

Preacher
01-26-2007, 10:38 PM
It seems that he improved the special teams pretty well. Kinda sad when that type of an improvement still makes it just a little above average. But then again, if we had just average this year, we probably would have been in the playoffs.

Rodneysb
01-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Yes, Rams special teams have long been tittled by the Ram's own fans as worst in the NFL. Mr. Ligashesky was brought in to fix that. A close friend of mine keeps me updated on his Rams, thats the only reason I even had a clue about this guy.

That leaves us two more slots to fill in the coaching ranks, secondary & backs.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-27-2007, 12:39 AM
That leaves us two more slots to fill in the coaching ranks, secondary & backs.

Looks like the Secondary slot has been filled Ray Horton promoted to secondary coach - one down one to go.

http://postgazette.com/pg/07027/757287-66.stm

Tomlin promotes assistant, adds another

Saturday, January 27, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Mike Tomlin continues to work on filling out his new staff with the Steelers, promoting Ray Horton to secondary coach and hiring a special teams coach.

Horton, according to a Steelers source, will coach the secondary by himself. He was the assistant secondary coach the past three seasons to Darren Perry, who resigned his position after Tomlin was named to succeed Bill Cowher.

Pittsburgh native Bob Ligashesky, 44, will become the Steelers' new special teams coach, according to a report in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Ligashesky, a 1985 IUP graduate, was the Rams' special teams coach the past two seasons. He also was Pitt's tight ends coach and special teams coordinator from 2000-03. He played linebacker at IUP.

Ligashesky coached at Kent State, Bowling Green and one year as assistant special teams coach with the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2004. He was a graduate assistant coach at Wake Forest and Arizona State.

According to a Steelers source, the team will hire an assistant special teams coach as well. Kevin Spencer, who coached the Steelers special teams from 2002 through last season, was permitted to join Ken Whisenhunt's new staff with the Arizona Cardinals.

Horton, 46, coached with the Redskins, Bengals and Lions in the NFL before joining the Steelers in 2004. He played cornerback for the Bengals from 1983-88 and finished his career with the Dallas Cowboys from 1989-92.

ChronoCross
01-27-2007, 07:44 AM
Hmm.. Not sure on this guy.. Have to see what he does with our guys then make judgement.. We have a higher caliber of talent on our defensive team then the Rams do, better tacklers, and it would help if we do change kickers.

Atlanta Dan
01-27-2007, 09:35 AM
The Horton promotion to DB coach from assistant DB coach is puzzling.

If the DB problems are the talent and not the coaching, why fire Perry?

OTOH if the problem was the coaching and not the talent, why promote the assistant to the DB coach whom Tomlin fired?

Below the coordinator level I confess to having minimal familiarity with the Steelers coaches and no familiarity with almost all assistants on other teams - I assume Tomlin does have that knowledge so he gets the benefit of my doubts until the fiirst time the Steelers fall behind in a preseason game. :smile:

Big D
01-27-2007, 09:53 AM
I think the steelers should have went after eagles special team coach Jon Harbaugh.

Hines86Ward
01-27-2007, 11:12 AM

OTOH if the problem was the coaching and not the talent, why promote the assistant to the DB coach whom Tomlin fired?

Perry resigned, he wasn't fired...

Atlanta Dan
01-27-2007, 12:10 PM
Perry resigned, he wasn't fired...

Perry doesn't have another job and this was his statement

Perry had been in Mobile since late last week with the Steelers' assistant coaches, who are scouting the Senior Bowl practices.

He returned to Pittsburgh last night.

"We both just decided to go in a different direction," Perry said of his meeting with Tomlin. "I'm very grateful for my time in Pittsburgh. I'm thankful to the Rooneys and Bill Cowher for giving me the opportunity."

Perry played for the Steelers from 1992-98 and started 110 consecutive games at free safety.

The former Penn State All-American spent a season coaching safeties for the Bengals before joining Cowher's staff in 2003. He had been the defensive backs coach since 2004.

Perry, who has aspirations of becoming a defensive coordinator and eventually a head coach, said he will look into other coaching opportunities.

"I'll miss the players," Perry said, "and I'm looking forward to bigger and better challenges that lie ahead."

This is standard corporate speak for someone who is let go.

Cowher resigned - Perry was fired

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-27-2007, 12:49 PM
he'll most likely wind up in arizona.

polamalufan43
01-27-2007, 02:16 PM
I don't think that the coach had much to do with our ST sucking as most would think, but hopefully this one can turn something around

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

tony hipchest
01-27-2007, 03:07 PM

Below the coordinator level I confess to having minimal familiarity with the Steelers coaches and no familiarity with almost all assistants on other teams - I assume Tomlin does have that knowledge so he gets the benefit of my doubts until the fiirst time the Steelers fall behind in a preseason game. :smile:i dont get this move either. its well known that coaches in Mobile have there resume's in hand, and are always looking for a promotion. maybe perry found a better place to go where upward mobility was more likely. with tomlin as the head coach it no longer seems that perry would be the clear cut successor to lebeau when he retires. if dallas is sticking with the 3-4 he could probably do a world of good for roy williams. miami has a huge coaching staff, and maybe he can catch on there.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-27-2007, 05:10 PM
we get kinda worked up over assistant coaches and have some concerns when they leave...but if history has taught us anything they can be easily replaced. i'm not concerned. i believe in tomlin's ability to make wise decisions because of the confidence that people around him (and know him) have in him.

i believe that perry's quote of "bigger and better" things means a "promotion" - he has higher aspirations than coaching DB's and wants to be a coordinator. i'm guessing that he shared those thoughts with tomlin (purely speculative) and may have even discussed the "long term" outlook of a coordinator's role with the steelers on the defensive side. since tomlin wasn't likely to make those judgments at this time, and also not certain regarding the future type of defense this team will run, he and perry felt it best to sever ties then and there. again, this is all guesswork, but it makes sense in the scope of perry's words "bigger and better."

Atlanta Dan
01-27-2007, 05:58 PM
Yep - the Steelers and Kordell did not miss a beat when Ray Sherman became the offensive coordinator in 1998 and the hits just kept on coming when Kevin Gilbride followed.:smile:

IMHO coordinators do matter, as evidenced by the relief LeBeau is staying and concern that a former Clowns OC is replacing Whiz.

As for "bigger and better," I would like to be appointed to the Supreme Court but I will not be quitting my current job unless that appointment has been lined up.

Big D
01-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Yep - the Steelers and Kordell did not miss a beat when Ray Sherman became the offensive coordinator in 1998 and the hits just kept on coming when Kevin Gilbride followed.:smile:

IMHO coordinators do matter, as evidenced by the relief LeBeau is staying and concern that a former Clowns OC is replacing Whiz.

I loved the tomlin hire but so far i've not been impressed at all with all the retreads he has hired. ken anderson and bruce arians both failed for our two biggest rivals. Then he brings in the former rams retread. Geez next thing you know he is going to hire Bruce Coslett to be the rb coach.

43FlyingHair
01-27-2007, 07:04 PM
anybody know anything about this guy??

Not a thing, other than any change has to be an improvement over the last 10 years of special teams craptacularity.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-27-2007, 08:57 PM

As for "bigger and better," I would like to be appointed to the Supreme Court but I will not be quitting my current job unless that appointment has been lined up.

re-read my post...i wrote "coaches" and NOT "coordinators" - big difference. i agree that the off. and def. coordinators are extremely important, but the coaches can be changed and those usually happen more for personality conflicts than anything else.

Atlanta Dan
01-27-2007, 10:03 PM
re-read my post...i wrote "coaches" and NOT "coordinators" - big difference. i agree that the off. and def. coordinators are extremely important, but the coaches can be changed and those usually happen more for personality conflicts than anything else.

Unnecessarily smart ass reply deleted by poster Atlanta Dan:)

Elvis
01-28-2007, 06:41 AM
I agree that we needed some changes in alot of areas. Special teams coach included and a new punter and some competition at PK as well. But I dont really think that all our problems was with the special teams coach either...:tt02: :wave: