PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Must Be More Than Just "The Face"

alittlejazzbird
01-27-2007, 02:56 PM
From the Beaver County Times....in my opinion, a total load of garbage. But maybe there are those on this board who agree... Thoughts?

01/25/2007
Tomlin must be more than just 'the face'
Bill Utterback, Times Staff

The intriguing momentum generated by the Steelers hiring of head coach Mike Tomlin is fading quickly. The Steelers didn't hire a force. They hired a face.

If he was a force, he would be allowed to interview offensive coordinator candidates, discuss philosophies and find a man who shares his vision. That man would not be Bruce Arians.

If he was a force, he would be allowed to build his defense, with his schemes and his formations, and his hand-chosen staff. The staff would not include Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator.

The Steelers have an African-American face for the sideline and for television. But they will still employ Bill Cowher's offense. And they will use Cowher's defense. And the club won't have to pay Tomlin nearly as much as it would have had to pay Cowher.

And, as an added bonus to the Rooney retirement fund, the club won't have to make severance payments to assistant coaches who are under contract.

Brilliant. Except Arians, a failed former coordinator now coaching an underachieving receivers' corps, is not the best candidate to coordinate anybody's offense. If Tomlin made a list of 100 men he wanted to interview for the job, Arians would not have been on it.

And LeBeau's defense, built around aging, broke-down linebackers, conflicts with the new coach's vision. If you hired Tomlin for his vision, don't blindfold him. The Steelers management group has fumbled its opportunity to grow the team.

I don't blame Tomlin for surrendering the authority that every head coach deserves. He's 34, and a minority, and carried no leverage into his negotiation with the Steelers. If he hesitated for a moment, Russ Grimm was ready to take the job with every limitation and stipulation the club suggested. Clearly, the Steelers kept the Grimm candidacy alive to pressure Tomlin.

You know Tomlin's agent was feeding him truth: Grimm will take whatever money the Steelers offer. Grimm likes LeBeau. Grimm likes Arians. What do you think, Mike? What are we going to do? What would you do?

Tomlin, a man with a dynamic presence and an encouraging resume, took the job. He put his face in front of the cameras and said thank-you to the Rooneys. And he may regret it.

He's got more to offer than a face.

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17748516&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

fansince'76
01-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Another "Tomlin is a token" article. I agree with you - complete and utter claptrap.

Big D
01-27-2007, 03:06 PM
if they would have hired Lane kiffin or brian schottenheimer articles like this would never hit the press. I dont think that the tomlin hire was race motivated

tony hipchest
01-27-2007, 03:18 PM
tomlin knows whats best for the team by keeping arians and lebeau. what kind off offense was he planning on showing down bens and the offeses throat. its bad enough we scrapped the majority of our coaching staff but are we gonna scrap all the players too, just to fit in his system? this isnt the 05 saints hes taking over. this is the sb champions.

polamalufan43
01-27-2007, 03:40 PM
That article means nothing to me. I think people are still in denial that Cowher is really gone.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Big D
01-27-2007, 03:42 PM
That article means nothing to me. I think people are still in denial that Cowher is really gone.

Cowhers gone?

polamalufan43
01-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Cowhers gone?

:toofunny: I know, to tell you the truth that just started sinking in for me when they hired Tomlin.
As they say, "Gone but never forgotten."

X-Terminator
01-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Why is anyone surprised by articles like this? It simply shows the abject ignorance of not just sports writers (especially those who work for two-bit hack newspapers like the Beaver County times), but of way too many people in general. This "article" isn't worth the recycled paper it was printed on, and really doesn't deserve the bandwidth I wasted typing this response.

polamalufan43
01-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Why is anyone surprised by articles like this? It simply shows the abject ignorance of not just sports writers (especially those who work for two-bit hack newspapers like the Beaver County times), but of way too many people in general. This "article" isn't worth the recycled paper it was printed on, and really doesn't deserve the bandwidth I wasted typing this response.

LOL,
I'm not surprised by this at all. More like confused and disgusted. It's annoying that Tomlin hasn't even played a game here yet as HC and the media has already started "feasting".

Florida_Steelers_Fan
01-27-2007, 04:02 PM
the guy is an idiot who is promoting an agenda...consider the source and move on, i say. there's no merit to it.

polamalufan43
01-27-2007, 04:06 PM
the guy is an idiot who is promoting an agenda...consider the source and move on, i say. there's no merit to it.

That's other thing. If this came from a better source I might've considered it longer before I said anything...

~Polamlaufan43:tt02:

SteelCzar76
01-27-2007, 04:08 PM

Well said XT. The reality of the situation dictates (as Tone stated earlier) that it wouldn't show much prudence or be logical for Coach Tomlin to come in and completely scrap a unit just one year removed from a World Title.
It's my opinion that with a few upgrades regarding personel and perhaps some 'tweaks' (ie a meeting of minds between he and Coach Lebeau),......this team could very well play for another Title this coming season.
It's a matter of give and take. Change is good,....but so is continuity from 'system' standpoint. (especially if that system is already proven)

klick81
01-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Once again, welcome COACH Tomlin.

HometownGal
01-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Just another media outlet trying to stir the pot to create controversy and sell more papers. Another source to add to my "ignore" list.

Atlanta Dan
01-27-2007, 06:38 PM
Since I do not read the Beaver County Times, is this guy their Steelers reporter or is he the low rent BCT equivalent of Smizik/Cook? If he covers the Steelers he might as well write his stories by watching the game on TV since I doubt he will get many player or coach interviews after dumping on Tomlin & Arians.

Black@Gold Forever32
01-27-2007, 06:56 PM
This dude that wrote this article sounds like another Mark Madden to me.

SteelerFanInATL
01-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Too be honest, I thought Tomlin was a token interview. Especially since the rule was named after our beloved owners to interview minorities. The Rooneys would not hire someone as a token. Eithor they can do the job or they can't. They just want winners. I beleive his age played a big part in his hiring. Now they have once again a quality, young, head coach who they will be willing to let take a few bumps and brusies, if necessary, to produce. Obviously the believe in him because 'THE HIRED HIM"

Mosca
01-28-2007, 10:19 AM
^ +1. You wrote it before I did. The thought that the Rooneys would hire the guy based on skin color is totally unbelievable.

Tom

slashsteel
01-28-2007, 10:57 AM
I think the media made these discussions surface. Our organization as a whole is too classy to hire a man based on color. He was hired because he got the most out of a team that is used to fielding pathetic defenses. His ability to get the most out of the younger players as well as the older ones makes him a winner in my eyes. I think he will show his motivational skills this year as he leads us back to the SB. ;)

memphissteelergirl
01-29-2007, 09:30 AM
As an African-American and a Steeler fan, I am doubly insulted by this. To imply that hiring Tomlin is only a PR move and he was not hired on merit is bull! Every coach who has worked with him (black and white) have said he is an excellent choice because of his ability as a coach.

Not to apply any more pressure than what he has already, but I hope Tomlin's first season proves very successful, then maybe people will look beyond the man's skin color.

SteelerFanInCA
01-29-2007, 09:38 AM
This article is pretty much a load of crap. I beleive Tomlin knows what he is doing in setting up his coaching stafff.

Cowher's offense? With a new offensive coordinator coming on board it will be interesting
to see if it still resembles a Cowher offense or should we say "Steelers" offense?

Mosca
01-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Every coach who has worked with him (black and white) have said he is an excellent choice because of his ability as a coach.

More than that, everyone who has worked with him has said that he is an OUTSTANDING choice, head and shoulders above other candidates both as a coach and as a man. Which isn't to belittle the other men, but to point out how exceptional Coach Tomlin is.

Tom

Donnie Iris
01-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Sounds like more sour grapes from a guy who wanted whiz or grimm to get the job. "Boo hoo they didn't hire the guy I wanted." This article is a snoozer.

Godfather
01-30-2007, 08:11 AM
Bunch of ignorant claptrap.

The Rooney Rule simply requires teams to interview (not hire) a minority (not necessarily black). And Tomlin isn't the only candidate they could have interviewed to comply with the rule. They interviewed him, and hired him, because they saw something they liked.

The Rooneys have a long record of trusting the people they hire to do their jobs. Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, and Al Davis are meddlers--and how's that working for them?

The fact that Tomlin retained LeBeau shows he's smart enough to leave a successful staff intact instead of trying to shoehorn his players into a different system. I've seen a coach try to do it the other way--Lou Tepper at LSU in 1998, trying to implement his defensive scheme immediately ithout a transition period. The result was an unmitigated disaster, and he squandered what might have been the best offensive unit in Tiger history.

The part that irks me the most is playing the token card. Why the hell do some people need to begrudge black people achievements they earned? If it weren't for those attitudes, nobody would be talking about black head coaches in the Super Bowl because it wouldn't be a big deal anymore.

Infamix
01-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Its unbelievable how our world is still so divided by color...I don't think things will ever change.

Donnie Iris
01-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Its unbelievable how our world is still so divided by color...I don't think things will ever change.

Yeah, it's pretty sad. I think you're right though - while major strides have been made in the past few decades, I don't think race will ever NOT be an issue. Sad, but True.

Livinginthe past
01-30-2007, 09:50 AM
What might be relevant to this topic is an ongoing situation in New England.

A Boston Globe hack by the name of Ron Borges has had a real hard on for Bill Belichick ever since he was made coach.

Most of his attacks are on a personal level, and rarely anything to do with coaching.

Alot of people surmise the reason for this is that Borges is a lazy, mainly incompetent reporter who used to have his columns handed to him on a platter by Drew Bledsoe and the New England coaching staff.

After realising that he would actually have to do some work for a story (like Mike Reiss, also of the Boston Globe, who is an excellent reporter) after Bledsoe was deposed he decided to antagonise Belichick at every given opportunity.

Its possible that this reporter is experiencing the same frustration at being taken out of his comfort zone, maybe he wont enjoy the same cozy arrangement with the new coaching staff as he did with the previous.

Sometimes reporters print stuff just to be controversial, however if there appears to be real nastiness to the hack job then the chances are it something personal.

NM

Big D
01-30-2007, 09:53 AM
I think anybody that doesnt believe in tomlin needs to look at his resume. And also needs to realize two of his mentors are coaching in this years superbowl.

Preacher
01-30-2007, 10:14 AM
Sad think about this article.

It is actually a hit piece against the Rooney's. However, it comes across as a, he is black, and got put in place because of his race. I don't think it is racism that drove this article, I think it is just an absolute idiot of a reporter trying to be different from everyone else. Good luck getting an interview with tomlin now!

Godfather
01-30-2007, 08:36 PM
Yeah, it's pretty sad. I think you're right though - while major strides have been made in the past few decades, I don't think race will ever NOT be an issue. Sad, but True.

The good news is it can become less of an issue.

Did you know there used to be a perception that black people weren't smart enough to be middle linebackers? Neither did I until I saw a special on the '69 Chiefs. That's an area where the issue is gone completely.

At quarterback, there are still a few idiots who want to make race an issue but mainstream thinking is that it doesn't matter.

I'd just like to see that kind of improvement outside of sports.