PDA

View Full Version : Draft/FA ... Tomlin

paw-n-maul-u
01-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Anyone have opinions on this years offseason with the draft and FA, and how the Tomlin hiring could effect both? I think we might see a little more involvement in FA for Tomlin to get some of the players for his system, as well as draft for the 4-3 in the future.

... thoughts?

PisnNapalm
01-28-2007, 06:39 PM
We don't have much cap room to work with as far as FAs go.

fansince'76
01-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Agreed - we don't have alot of wiggle room with the cap. Even if we did, the Rooneys still control the pursestrings and Tomlin's hiring didn't change that. That being said, we've never been a major player in FA. The draft should be interesting, though.

coachspeak33
01-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Tomlin has made mention of establishing a dominate running game nearly every time he speaks.... if that holds true he better get a RB in here

No disrespect to Willie....cause i love him....but the group of he, Najeh, and Verron....that group collectively just aint gonna create a dominate running game.....PERIOD

Hines0wnz
01-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Tomlin has made mention of establishing a dominate running game nearly every time he speaks.... if that holds true he better get a RB in here

No disrespect to Willie....cause i love him....but the group of he, Najeh, and Verron....that group collectively just aint gonna create a dominate running game.....PERIOD

Yeah, back-to-back 1000yds+ season just doesnt cut it. :jerkit:

Donnie Iris
01-29-2007, 12:13 PM

We have a running back named Willie Parker. What we need is consistent O-Line play.

I'm all for a compliment back for Parker, but the running game starts with the O-Line. If they play well, Willie could eventually put up 2K in a season.

coachspeak33
01-29-2007, 12:39 PM
as i said before ..... i love willie..... but look around people..... most of the successful teams in the NFL have two quality RB's ...... We only have 1....

the No 2 RB can not only be a change of pace but can also serve as insurance in case something were to happen to Willie for a week or two

SteelerFanInCA
01-29-2007, 12:41 PM
I can see both points. Our O line plays definitely needs to step up and we definitley need some type of backup insurance to Willie.

coachspeak33
01-30-2007, 08:16 AM
thank you steelerfaninCa.... i have been saying that all season....and all i hear is how great willie is.... and i am like, "yeah i know but he is human...he could get hurt, his productivity could slip, hell, he could get fatigued."

Insurance is what it is....something you have to have and hope to god you never HAVE to use

DACEB
01-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Not only insurance coachspeak, but someone to share the pounding late in the game when you try to run the ball to kill clock and hold the lead. A back takes a pounding late in the game when everyone knows you're going to run the ball, and it's nice to have someone with fresh legs as well. As much as we all like to run the ball you absolutely need two backs. Najeh performed well and helped us in the return game as well, but as I and others have stated he does'nt run as big as his size. We need a change of pace bruiser.

Donnie Iris
01-30-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm all for getting Willie a compliment. I was just making the point that if our OLine doesn't step up we could have 3 or 4 quality backs and it wouldn't matter.

Spidey
01-30-2007, 11:24 AM
You can't run before you can walk . . .

We need O'line help, with a line that dominates Najeh could break 750 or so just complimenting Willie!

Stillers43
01-30-2007, 11:45 AM
We can afford to take a chance on a RB with a late pick, but it is by no means a priority!

Haiku_Dirtt
01-30-2007, 11:49 AM
I can see both points. Our O line plays definitely needs to step up and we definitley need some type of backup insurance to Willie.

Yeah. The contention that 1000 yards per season makes Willie our goto RB rings on deaf ears when you look at key seasonal matchups and games in which Willie barely gets 20 in a game. One point.

But then how bad was our O-line (or how good were they) in thoses games?:coffee:

paw-n-maul-u
01-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Yeah. The contention that 1000 yards per season makes Willie our goto RB rings on deaf ears when you look at key seasonal matchups and games in which Willie barely gets 20 in a game. One point.

But then how bad was our O-line (or how good were they) in thoses games?:coffee:

That's my biggest peeve with Parker. He either steals the show or hides on the sidelines. He just isn't consistent enough to pound defenses like B-more, San Diego, J-ville ... etc. I think a good look would be like a tony hunt. I am not completely against Najeh, or signing someone like TJ Duckett (which seems to be what a lot of people a "quickfix" to our power running game), however, what if we were sitting tight at spot 15 and the likes of marshawn lynch was just starring at us begging to be picked.

... this draft is extremely deep with players in skill positions, its actually proabably one of the deeper drafts in awhile. I don't see us taking a RB in the draft until late day one or very early day 2.

SteelerFanInATL
01-31-2007, 07:32 AM
Remember, Najeh didn't go through mini camp, training camp or preseason with the Steelers. With that under his belt plus last year could make a big difference. He look like someone who could compliment WP. We will see what happens in days to come.

CargoJon
01-31-2007, 01:51 PM
Give Kuhn a chance with the rock..........