PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Tomlin finalizes coaching staff

83-Steelers-43
01-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Steelers' Tomlin finalizes coaching staff
Monday, January 29, 2007

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

New Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin finalized his coaching staff today, signing six new assistants to join the six holdovers from former coach Bill Cowher's staff.

Heading the list is former Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Ken Anderson, who will become the team's new quarterback coach, replacing Mark Whipple.

Also hired were offensive line coach Larry Zierlein, who coached last season with the Buffalo Bills; wide receivers coach Randy Fichtner, who was offensive coordinator at University of Memphis; running backs coach Kirby Wilson, who spent the past two seasons with the Arizona Cardinals; special teams coach Bob Ligashesky, who was with the St. Louis Rams since 2004; and special teams assistant Amos Jones, who held a similar position at Mississippi State.

Zierlein, Fichter, Wilson and Jones have each coached with Tomlin with other teams. Ligashesky, 44, is from McKees Rocks and played at Sto-Rox High School and IUP. Fichtner, 42, is a West Mifflin native.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07029/757770-100.stm

PisnNapalm
01-29-2007, 02:17 PM
running backs coach Kirby Wilson, who spent the past two seasons with the Arizona Cardinals

Why does this scare me so much...?

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Did I miss the secondary coach hiring?

fansince'76
01-29-2007, 02:20 PM

I'd be a hell of alot more worried if he'd been coaching their OL....

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Did I miss the secondary coach hiring?

Just found it....

Ray Horton is in his third season with the Steelers after being one of the six new members of the coaching staff that joined the team prior to the 2004 season.

Named the team's assistant defensive backs coach Jan. 24, 2004, Horton replaced Darren Perry, who was promoted to defensive backs coach.

Horton has accumulated 12 years of NFL coaching experience following a solid 10-year NFL playing career. Prior to his Steelers' appointment, Horton spent the previous two seasons at Detroit as the Lions' secondary coach.

Horton, 46, who enters his 13th season coaching in the National Football League, received his first coaching opportunity as an assistant defensive backs coach for the Washington Redskins from 1994-96. He then was hired as defensive backs coach for the Cincinnati Bengals (1997-01).

Horton played cornerback for the Bengals from 1983-88 and played in Super Bowl XXIII. He finished his career with the Dallas Cowboys from 1989-92 and was a member of the Cowboys' Super Bowl XXVI Championship squad.

Horton played at the University of Washington, where he earned All Pac-10 honors. He was a second-round selection by the Bengals in the 1983 NFL Draft (53rd overall).

Horton has a daughter, Taylor (19), who attends Wheaton College, and a son, Jarren (15).

Horton's Coaching Timeline:

Year Team Position

1994-1996 Washington Redskins Assistant Defensive Backs
1997-2001 Cincinnati Bengals Defensive Backs
2002-2003 Detroit Lions Secondary
2004-2006 Pittsburgh Steelers Assistant Defensive Backs

Atlanta Dan
01-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Did the special teams assistant from 2006 go with Spencer or is that a new coaching position that has been added (by the fact I do not even know whether we had a special teams assistant in 2006 the hire for that slot is not exactly regarded as a make or break hire for the coming season by me).

When you tote it all up, in addition to the HC there has been quite a bit of turnover on the offensive side - as for special teams, I may find out an unpleasant answer to my question, but regardless of who is hired how much worse can it get?

LeBeau and Arians are going to be required to provide stability for new HC - with all the new faces I am wondering if retaining LeBeau was pretty much agreed by Tomlin to be a given during his interviews.

SteelerFanInCA
01-29-2007, 02:39 PM
With all the new faces in town it will be interesting to see how long it takes before this team builds a good chemistry together. Hopefully sooner than later.

83-Steelers-43
01-29-2007, 03:05 PM
I am wondering if retaining LeBeau was pretty much agreed by Tomlin to be a given during his interviews.

Dan Rooney was being interviewed on Sports Beat a few nights ago and he stated that he pretty much made it known to Tomlin that he would like it if he kept LeBeau around. Was it a "If you don't keep him, you don't get the job" type of ultimatum? I don't think so. But I think Tomlin got the hint.

Eitherway, I think Tomlin would have kept LeBeau around.

Atlanta Dan
01-29-2007, 03:21 PM
If the person having the authority to hire me said during the job interview it would be a good idea to keep a certain current employee on the payroll I probably would take the hint and make it clear I also thought that was a good idea:smile:

Thanks for the Pittsburgh media interview news that is not readily accessible online.

83-Steelers-43
01-29-2007, 03:25 PM
If the person having the authority to hire me said during the job interview it would be a good idea to keep a certain current employee on the payroll I probably would take the hint and make it clear I also thought that was a good idea:smile:

Thanks for the Pittsburgh media interview news that is not readily accessible online.

No problem at all.

Yeah, you and me both. Especially if that job happens to be one of the most prized jobs in the NFL. They say keep the team mascot, you keep the team mascot.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-29-2007, 04:09 PM

It wasn't so much the RB as it was the horrible o-line.

polamalufan43
01-29-2007, 04:13 PM
True very true

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Lambertfan
01-29-2007, 06:32 PM
Kenny Anderson,no matter how much black and gold you put on him HE IS A BUNGLE!!!!!!Triple Yoi!!!!!!! I will never get used to him being on the Steelers....wake up from this nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stlrtruck
01-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Kenny Anderson,no matter how much black and gold you put on him HE IS A BUNGLE!!!!!!Triple Yoi!!!!!!! I will never get used to him being on the Steelers....wake up from this nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at it this way, maybe he Mr. Anderson got so tired of sucking his entire career and even after retirement that he came to his senses and realized that in order to no longer suck as a bungle, he would have to get a job with the best dang team in the NFL with the best dang fans.

nicesteel4life
01-30-2007, 12:29 AM
we shall see.......

SteelerMurf
01-30-2007, 07:15 AM
It wasn't so much the RB as it was the horrible o-line.

yep

tony hipchest
01-30-2007, 02:38 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/rss/s_490827.html

New look
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin finalized his coaching staff Monday by promoting two assistants and hiring six others. Here is a look at the new staff, compared to the one that finished last season:
Position 2006 ---------------------------------2007
Head coach Bill Cowher--------------------- Mike Tomlin
Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt----Bruce Arians
Quarterbacks Mark Whipple------------- Ken Anderson
Running backs Dick Hoak----------------- Kirby Wilson
Receivers Bruce Arians------------------ Randy Fichtner----
Tight ends James Daniel------------------ James Daniel
Offensive line Russ Grimm--------------- Larry Zierlein
Offensive asst. Matt Raich--------------- Matt Raich
Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau-------- Dick LeBeau
Defensive line John Mitchell--------------- John Mitchell
Linebackers Keith Butler----------------- Keith Butler