PDA

View Full Version : '75 Steelers #7 on America's Game Tonight

iloveben7
01-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Tonight at 10:00PM on NFL Network, the 75 Steelers are #7 on America's Game!! It's also reairing at 1:00AM!! Let's hope all 5 Superbowls are in the Top 10!!

Preacher
01-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Sure are in my top ten... but I may be biased

iloveben7
01-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Yeah I may be biased too~but I think they all deserve to be in the Top 10 even though we are Steeler fans!!

Atlanta Dan
01-29-2007, 10:15 PM
As you might expect, a masterful production by NFL Films (if the U.S. wants to improve its image overseas it really needs to hire NFL Films to start producing the propaganda) - if you can watch it do so

Each America's Team program features 3 players or coaches providing commentary - for the 75 Steelers it is Swann, White, and Wagner

Dwight sets the tone in the opening when he says "there are two types of Super Bowl teams that no one remembers - those that lost and those that only won once."

I watched it in hi def on Direct TV Channel 95 but since all the game footage from 75 is low def there is not much to be gained in high def other than seeing that Swann, Wagner, and White are getting old (which resonates for someone who is not much younger than them).

Too much to cover but just note two stats -

1. In the AFC Central, 75 Oilers and Bengals were 21-3 against the rest of the league and 0-4 against the Steelers; and

2. We were appalled by all the turnovers this year but in the two playoff wins over the Colts and Raiders the Steelers had 13 (!) turnovers but still won - whatever it takes indeed.

Coming up later this week - 78 Steelers as one of the top 4 SB teams

FYI - apparently NFL Films has made an America's Game program for each of the 40 SB champs - I shudder to think what the price for the set will be but hope they package the 5 Steelers SB shows for purchase.

fansince'76
01-29-2007, 10:18 PM
To me, NFL Films kinda lost something when John Facenda died. That guy was born to narrate NFL Films.

fansince'76
01-29-2007, 10:23 PM
2. We were appalled by all the turnovers this year but in the two playoff wins over the Colts and Raiders the Steelers had 13 (!) turnovers but still won - whatever it takes indeed.

A great defense is typically a very effective eraser of offensive mistakes.

Atlanta Dan
01-29-2007, 10:23 PM
To me, NFL Films kinda lost something when John Facenda died. That guy was born to narrate NFL Films.

For us old time fans Facenda's voice can't be topped, but since he has been gone for over 20 years NFL Films obviously has to move on - these America's Game programs are not being handled by Harry Kalas and the current regular NFL Films voices - tonight's two narrators for the 84 49ers and 75 Steelers programs were Gene Hackman and Bruce Willis - not too shabby

tony hipchest
01-29-2007, 10:26 PM
As you might expect, a masterful production by NFL Films (if the U.S. wants to improve its image overseas it really needs to hire NFL Films to start producing the propaganda) - if you can watch it do so

Each America's Team program features 3 players or coaches providing commentary - for the 75 Steelers it is Swann, White, and Wagner

Dwight sets the tone in the opening when he says "there are two types of Super Bowl teams that no one remembers - those that lost and those that only won once."

I watched it in hi def on Direct TV Channel 95 but since all the game footage from 75 is low def there is not much to be gained in high def other than seeing that Swann, Wagner, and White are getting old (which resonates for someone who is not much younger than them).

Too much to cover but just note two stats -

1. In the AFC Central, 75 Oilers and Bengals were 21-3 against the rest of the league and 0-4 against the Steelers; and

Coming up later this week - 78 Steelers as one of the top 4 SB teams

FYI - apparently NFL Films has made an America's Game program for each of the 40 SB champs - I shudder to think what the price for the set will be but hope they package the 5 Steelers SB shows for purchase.
masterful indeed. so true about dwight providing excellent commentary. wagner is just as much a pimp today as he was back then, and chuck noll is definitely the john wayne of coaching.

1st time 3 teams from the same division had 10 win seasons. bengals, oilers, steelers.

swann and stallworth definitely liked to show their excitement in the endzone. i laughed at the one ref duck as swann spiked a ball that almost hit him in the head.

to see how proud the steelers were to see lambert protect his kicker in the SB is a thing of beauty.

how is it that lambert always looks like one of the biggest dudes on defense? i know the size is relative to the times, but if he were extrapolated to todays game it seems he would be about 6'5"- 6'6" and 250- 260 lbs.

i didnt even realize it was bruce willis doing narration even though i had forewarning.

fansince'76
01-29-2007, 10:27 PM
For us old time fans Facenda's voice can't be topped, but since he has been gone for over 20 years NFL Films obviously has to move on - these America's Game programs are not being handled by Harry Kalas and the current regular NFL Films voices - tonight's two narrators for the 84 49ers and 75 Steelers programs were Gene Hackman and Bruce Willis - not too shabby

Don't get me wrong, NFL Films are still very enjoyable to me and the production is top notch. I was just reminiscing a bit - '75 Steelers and all.

sumo
01-29-2007, 10:38 PM
MAN - I have got to get me one of those dish things para mi casa!!! - all this stuff you're talking about is what I remember about the Steelers when I was growing up - it would be great to see it all again

SteelFist
01-29-2007, 11:20 PM
They also mentioned that the '78 Steelers is in the top 5.....

iloveben7
01-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Also the '05 Steelers are in the TOP 5 because they had Cowher talking about his daughter when they won on the commercial!!

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Also the '05 Steelers are in the TOP 5 because they had Cowher talking about his daughter when they won on the commercial!!

Nope - that is just part of the ad for the series and while last season was a great ride the 2005 Steelers are nowhere near 1 of the top 10 SB teams ever (although I understand there is an America's Game program for the 2005 Steelers that will run someday along with that of all other SB winners)

Top 5 are 92 Cowboys (66 Packers are at #6 tonight) and then these 4 in some order:

1972 Dolphins
1978 Steelers
1989 49ers
1985 Bears

I have no quarrel with that top 5 in some order

iloveben7
01-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Oh ok thanks

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Watched the 66 Packers show tonight, the dominant team when I first started watching the NFL (white running backs and wide receivers - what a concept!). Another well done program, this time with Donald Sutherland as the announcer - NFL put out some $$ for these announcers.

By my prior comment on the 2005 Steelers and what are admittedly arbitrary rankings I certainly was not minimizing how much last year's team meant to almost all of us (sorry LITP - I know your devotion goes to America's Game SB Team #9) who post here. Every SB win obviously is memorable.

That having been said, part of the appeal of these programs for me (which I only started watching last week) is having memories brought back and then seeing those players as they look today (e.g. - grey haired Mike Wagner last night) to link up the past and the present. Seeing Cowher and Hines reflect on what we all saw only a year ago when their appearance has not changed probably will not have the same pop for me.

Regardless of where the 78 Steelers end up in the rankings, I know where I will have them in my own arbitrary rankings and am both looking forward to whomever (I think Greene is a definite and maybe Bradshaw if he did not demand to get paid) is on the 78 Steelers program while being glad that the NFL has laid out the cash for these first class productions.

tony hipchest
01-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Watched the 66 Packers show tonight, the dominant team when I first started watching the NFL (white running backs and wide receivers - what a concept!). Another well done program, this time with Donald Sutherland as the announcer - NFL put out some $$ for these announcers.

By my prior comment on the 2005 Steelers and what are admittedly arbitrary rankings I certainly was not minimizing how much last year's team meant to almost all of us (sorry LITP - I know your devotion goes to America's Game SB Team #9) who post here. Every SB win obviously is memorable.

That having been said, part of the appeal of these programs for me (which I only started watching last week) is having memories brought back and then seeing those players as they look today (e.g. - grey haired Mike Wagner last night) to link up the past and the present. Seeing Cowher and Hines reflect on what we all saw only a year ago when their appearance has not changed probably will not have the same pop for me.

Regardless of where the 78 Steelers end up in the rankings, I know where I will have them in my own arbitrary rankings and am both looking forward to whomever (I think Greene is a definite and maybe Bradshaw if he did not demand to get paid) is on the 78 Steelers program while being glad that the NFL has laid out the cash for these first class productions.theres a thread in the locker room of superbowl traditions. mine as a kid was always waking up early sb morning and watching the nfl highlight films recaps of all the superbowls. (this was before all the cable production, hooplah, and 4 hour pre game shows, and when broadcast tv would show them- of course this was before there were 40 sb highlighs to show in 30 minute incriments, too). i would watch these every year, just like the wizard of oz, or the christmas specials.

this new series nfl films has come out with is excellent and i hope they make it, yet another yearly tradition, not only for the steelers footage but the other 35 sb's that will be in the chronicles. the fact that you can watch these and not even notice that its donald sutherland, bruce willis, or alec baldwin doing the narration says alot.

dan, speaking of those packers, i forget his name, but there was a player who snuck a tape recorder into the locker room befor one of those sb's to capture v. lombardis speaches. he is the same player who lost his sb ring on an airplane only to have it returned many years later. he came across these recordings in a garage or something several years back and finally decided to release it to the public after talking to several team mates about it.

ive heard 2 interviews with him, and his main concern was that what goes on is the locker room is sacred ground, but after confering with his team mates they agreed that lombardi was special, ant these tapes deserved to be released to the public.

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2007, 10:12 PM
theres a thread in the locker room of superbowl traditions. mine as a kid was always waking up early sb morning and watching the nfl highlight films recaps of all the superbowls. (this was before all the cable production, hooplah, and 4 hour pre game shows, and when broadcast tv would show them- of course this was before there were 40 sb highlighs to show in 30 minute incriments, too). i would watch these every year, just like the wizard of oz, or the christmas specials.

this new series nfl films has come out with is excellent and i hope they make it, yet another yearly tradition, not only for the steelers footage but the other 35 sb's that will be in the chronicles. the fact that you can watch these and not even notice that its donald sutherland, bruce willis, or alec baldwin doing the narration says alot.

dan, speaking of those packers, i forget his name, but there was a player who snuck a tape recorder into the locker room befor one of those sb's to capture v. lombardis speaches. he is the same player who lost his sb ring on an airplane only to have it returned many years later. he came across these recordings in a garage or something several years back and finally decided to release it to the public after talking to several team mates about it.

ive heard 2 interviews with him, and his main concern was that what goes on is the locker room is sacred ground, but after confering with his team mates they agreed that lombardi was special, ant these tapes deserved to be released to the public.

Recognize this is off the thread topic but to reply to T.H.:

I think it was Jerry Kramer, the all pro right guard who made the block for Starr's QB sneak to win the Ice Bowl. Kramer and Dick Schapp wrote Instant Replay, a chronicle of the Packers 1967 season, which was Lombardi's final season with the Packers. Kramer probably recorded Lombardi's speech in SB II for his book.

I hate to keep beating the drum for America's Game and sounding like I am a shill for NFL Films, but I discovered that for anyone like me who is addicted not only to the NFL but Apple iTunes that videos of the programs are available for download from iTunes. Viewing on the computer screen (unless you are really ambitious and want to hook up your computer to a 1080p HDTV) is not the same as watching these shows on the big screen but OTOH $1.99 per download as opposed to $20 for a DVD per program (assuming like me you do not have a DVD recorder or Tivo) is a reasonable short term fix. As of this evening downloads are available for teams #8-#20; 1975 Steelers should be available very soon.

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2007, 01:39 PM
A marathon of the 20 America's Game team programs (based on fan rankings) will run on Sunday, February 11, on NFL Network..

NFL Network will start running all 40 America's Game productions, starting with #40, at the end of next week. So in addition to the 75 and 78 Steelers there will be 1 hour programs for the 1974, 1979, and 2005 champs. Assuming different set of 3 players interviewed for each program, that should lead to observations from a good mix of the 70s players.

tony hipchest
01-31-2007, 08:46 PM
A marathon of the 20 America's Game team programs (based on fan rankings) will run on Sunday, February 11, on NFL Network..

NFL Network will start running all 40 America's Game productions, starting with #40, at the end of next week. So in addition to the 75 and 78 Steelers there will be 1 hour programs for the 1974, 1979, and 2005 champs. Assuming different set of 3 players interviewed for each program, that should lead to observations from a good mix of the 70s players.all 40 should be great. i cant believe i enjoyed tonights 92 cowboys (especially when i despised it as i lived it in 92, on a weekly basis.) really good though.

Atlanta Dan
01-31-2007, 09:07 PM
all 40 should be great. i cant believe i enjoyed tonights 92 cowboys (especially when i despised it as i lived it in 92, on a weekly basis.) really good though.

But it brought back all the memories of how schizoid that great team was - Aikman and Emmitt Smith were easy to root for while Irvin & Jerry Jones were (and are) loathsome egomaniacs. But I will give Irvin credit - he is the star of his own movie and he was the hilarious star of tonight's program.

This series always unearths something new for me in every program. Good nugget in the '92 Cowboys show was Jimmy Johnson not getting to give his best Knute Rockne speech after the Cowboys clinched the division because Jones brings Saudi Prince Bandar into the locker room for an unannounced post-game meet & greet with the players and ruins Johnson's mood. Provided a glimpse into why Johnson said to hell with this bulls**t and bolted after the next season

tony hipchest
01-31-2007, 09:14 PM
But it brought back all the memories of how schizoid that great team was - Aikman and Emmitt Smith were easy to root for while Irvin & Jerry Jones were (and are) loathsome egomaniacs. But I will give Irvin credit - he is the star of his own movie and he was the hilarious star of tonight's program.

This series always unearths something new for me in every program. Good nugget in the '92 Cowboys show was Jimmy Johnson not getting to give his best Knute Rockne speech after the Cowboys clinched the division because Jones brings Saudi Prince Bandar into the locker room for an unannounced post-game meet & greet with the players and ruins Johnson's mood. Provided a glimpse into why Johnson said to hell with this bulls**t and bolted after the next seasoni liked how irvin admitted he wanted to hog the curl route from harper cause aikman had been throwing it to him all game, in the final minutes of the champ game. what happens? the ball goes to harper, where irvin shoulda been for a long gain, to ice it. also cool to hear that jimmy johnson had the bus leave without aikman after that game cause he was late to board.