PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 1978 Team voted best of all time

sumo
01-30-2007, 04:09 PM
This is from Peter Kings Tuesday edition - voted on by the fans of his columns

I asked which of the NFL Films Final Four Super Bowl teams -- the '72 Dolphins (went 17-0, beat Washington 14-7 in the Super Bowl); the '78 Steelers (went 17-2, beat Dallas 35-31 in the Super Bowl); the '85 Bears (went 18-1, beat New England 46-10 in the Super Bowl); or the '89 49ers (went 17-2, beat Denver 55-10 in the Super Bowl -- should be voted the top Super Bowl champion ever. The best team has already been picked by a panel of football experts, and the four one-hour shows will air this weekend.

Your votes were tabulated by 4 p.m. Monday. The numbers:

1. The 1978 Steelers, 150 votes.

2. The 1985 Bears, 136 votes.

3. The 1989 49ers, 114 votes.

4. The 1972 Dolphins, 92 votes.

So the Steelers win. Doesn't surprise me. I picked the four best e-mails defending each, and here they are:

DOLPHINS: From Paul Pearson of Ossining, N.Y.: "Every sports fan, no matter the sport, knows about "untouchable" records: DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak, Wilt's 100 points, UCLA's 88 straight wins, (when I was a kid), Bob Beamon's long jump. But no one mentions this: The '72 Dolphins may have the most untouchable record of them all. (Just ask Peyton.)

STEELERS: From Harold Gulley of Skokie, Ill.: "This isn't even a close call. That team's arsenal of offensive and defensive weapons was not only too much for Dallas and Staubach in an exciting Super Bowl that I still regard as the best championship game ever, but the Steelers were also good enough to run my beloved and talented Oakland Raiders out of the AFC playoffs. I didn't like the Steelers, but they won because they were a superior team that played well as a group.''

NINERS. From Mike Cincotti of San Francisco: "I'd like to vote for the 1989 49ers for two main reasons. 1) Their backup quarterback was one of the 10 best quarterbacks of all time. 2) They outscored their three playoff opponents by a combined 100 points. A hundred points!''

BEARS. From Aaron Benjamin of Chicago: "In a city where people were struggling just to make ends meet, a collection of jokers, misfits, and ****y guys came together under a fire-breathing coach to form a team that simply refused to lose. They had two simple game plans: On offense, we are going to run the ball, and we dare you to stop us (which no one did, by the way, even the Dolphins gave up over 100 yards to the Bears in their only loss). On defense we were going to simply hurt your quarterback. No one could stop Walter Payton and our run game! It's much more fun to win when the other team knows what's coming and you are still able to punch them in the mouth! No team on the list (and I have been following the series) has the aura, mystique, and inspires as much modern comparison as the 1985 Bears.''

Thanks for your cooperation

polamalufan43
01-30-2007, 04:11 PM
That's pretty cool. And may I say that I agree 110%.

~Polamalufan43:tt02: :tt02:

Livinginthe past
01-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Looks like Peter King could do with a few extra fans for his column - how many has he got there total...less than 500?

NM

augustashark
01-30-2007, 04:14 PM
This is BS!!!!

89 Niners were the best!:dang:

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Thought you had somehow cracked the embargo on the actual announcement :smile:

I agree with the people's choice but IMHO I now believe the "experts" #1 will be the 72 Dolphins (a team the 72 Steelers almost beat prior to adding Swann, Stalllworth, Webster & Lambert to the mix).

Now that I understand America's Game programs of all 40 SB winners have been made I am not as disappointed the 74 and 79 teams were left out of the top 20 to avoid repetition.

Hopefully NFL.com will offer the America's Game DVDs for the 5 Steelers SB winners at some kind of group rate rather than charge the current going rate of $20 a progarm. If the other programs match the quality of last night's 75 Steelers program these DVDs are a must see for any Steelers junkie.

sumo
01-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Looks like Peter King could do with a few extra fans for his column - how many has he got there total...less than 500?

NM

He announced it the day before yesterday so it was a 24 hour thing and it wasn't an online poll like what you see frequently on ESPN's site - it's only the users that are registered thru his column to send emails (all of the users were required to send emails justifying their votes) - my guess - it's a group of hardcore NFL fans that email him frequently - a group of 500 hardcore NFL fans or 500 members of the media - to me it's no contest - I take the fans over the media every time!

sumo
01-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Thought you had somehow cracked the embargo on the actual announcement :smile:

I agree with the people's choice but IMHO I now believe the "experts" #1 will be the 72 Dolphins (a team the 72 Steelers almost beat prior to adding Swann, Stalllworth, Webster & Lambert to the mix).

Now that I understand America's Game programs of all 40 SB winners have been made I am not as disappointed the 74 and 79 teams were left out of the top 20 to avoid repetition.

Hopefully NFL.com will offer the America's Game DVDs for the 5 Steelers SB winners at some kind of group rate rather than charge the current going rate of $20 a progarm. If the other programs match the quality of last night's 75 Steelers program these DVDs are a must see for any Steelers junkie.

I know you posted it previously, so please forgive me for asking again - but how and who decided on these rankings from the NFL network? or who are 'the panel of experts?'

tony hipchest
01-30-2007, 04:38 PM
He announced it the day before yesterday so it was a 24 hour thing and it wasn't an online poll like what you see frequently on ESPN's site - it's only the users that are registered thru his column to send emails (all of the users were required to send emails justifying their votes) - my guess - it's a group of hardcore NFL fans that email him frequently - a group of 500 hardcore NFL fans or 500 members of the media - to me it's no contest - I take the fans over the media every time!you are correct.

and the fans are correct for picking those steelers.

miami beat washington- whoopie
bears demolished patriots- *snicker* (how did that sorry team even make it to the big game?)
SF destroyed the broncos- a 3 time champion team going against a team that couldnt get out of its own way when it came to playing in the superbowl.

the steelers however beat the best of the best- americas team, that had proven to be of championship calibur (not to mention having to go through the micro dynasty of oakland to get there).

miami beat a sb newbie, the bears beat a newbie who was an 80's flash in the pan, and the 49ers beat a perinnial choker (about as impressive as the cowboys beating the bills for the 2nd time)

HometownGal
01-30-2007, 04:42 PM
The '78 Steelers championship team was, imho, the most superior team ever in every respect. They had it all. :thumbsup: The 72 Dolphs were one helluva good team, but they played 2 less games during the regular season than the rest of the "contestants".

It was strange reading that a die-hard Raiders fan gave props to that '78 team, but I can't disagree with his opinion. :tt02:

sumo
01-30-2007, 05:00 PM
The '78 Steelers championship team was, imho, the most superior team ever in every respect. They had it all. :thumbsup: The 72 Dolphs were one helluva good team, but they played 2 less games during the regular season than the rest of the "contestants".

It was strange reading that a die-hard Raiders fan gave props to that '78 team, but I can't disagree with his opinion. :tt02:

IMHO, I think it justifies it even more that we have a Raiders fan saying this - all of us older fans remember the epic battles with the Raiders, and at the time, we despised each other, but now there is a lot of respect - I find myself agreeing/sympathizing with the silver&black dude on this forum all the time when it comes to the history of the league, the 70s era, etc - and he makes an excellent point - we beat the Raiders and the Cowboys to get the ring - they were no doubt - the two best teams in the NFL besides the Steelers

Physical Presence
01-30-2007, 05:21 PM
We did not beat the Raiders in '78. In '75 we did, but not in '78. We beat Denver and Houston before we met the Cowboys in SB XIII.

sumo
01-30-2007, 05:29 PM
We did not beat the Raiders in '78. In '75 we did, but not in '78. We beat Denver and Houston before we met the Cowboys in SB XIII.

good point! - my bad! I group all the playoff games from the 70s together - it seemed like we were playing the Raiders every year in the playoffs:dang: :dang:

Atlanta Dan
01-30-2007, 05:36 PM
I know you posted it previously, so please forgive me for asking again - but how and who decided on these rankings from the NFL network? or who are 'the panel of experts?'

Here is the link to the America's Game site (unless you have a wide screen monitor you will need to go to 1024x768 resolution to see the whole screen - for some reason you can't scroll from right to left on the site pages).

http://ag.nfl.com/

When you go to the site, click on the Blue Ribbon Panel toolbar - the panel is mostly media types, with some ex-players (Fouts, Raymond Berry), front office (Polian, Accorsi) and current coaches (Marty, Lebeau (!) and Cowher (oops - current and recent coaches)).

As I said in another post yesterday, the NFL puts out first class propaganda to burnish the league's image.

fansince'76
01-30-2007, 05:57 PM
89 Niners were the best!

I said it in the '80s and I say it now - the Steel Curtain would have eaten Montana's and Young's lunch. Blount on Rice would've been one HELL of a matchup, though.

Mosca
01-30-2007, 06:04 PM

I was at both of those games. The one game was played in freezing rain, I think it was Houston. Unbelievable defense. Lots of sacks and interceptions. We blew them up.

The Denver game the week before, that was the scene of one of my best sports moments ever.

The game was in the balance for a while in the first half. Early in the 3rd quarter it was 19-10 Steelers, but the Broncos were playing well, threatening to take momentum. Then the Broncos lined up for a 29 yard field goal... and the noise in 3RS was so loud you could see it. You could reach out and touch it with your hand. All the frustration of being the best in '76 and going home, and all the frustration of the lost '77 season came together with a team that would not be denied... Joe Greene blew through the line for the block!

Remember Myron singing, "BUST THE BRONCOS, THEY'RE JUST YONKOS, FALALALALA, LALA, LA LA! (To the tune of "Deck the Halls")? I can hear that cackling like it was yesterday!

Tom

augustashark
01-30-2007, 07:12 PM
I said it in the '80s and I say it now - the Steel Curtain would have eaten Montana's and Young's lunch. Blount on Rice would've been one HELL of a matchup, though.

I was just kidding, but I will say that I thought the 94 team was better then the 89 team.

You are correct, the Blount/Rice would have been classic. I always wondered how that O-Line of the 90's Cowboys would have played against mad dog and the boys! That would have been one hell of a match up. The best O-Line I've ever seen against the Best D ever.

ChronoCross
01-30-2007, 07:43 PM
For some of the younger fans who have not seen any of this older SB's you might want to go ahead and watch this one if you can. Every Steeler fan should see this old SBs to see what hitting is all about, unlike today were you have to you know around and almost play tag football with the QB, back then was real football. And if for say your so young you have not seen any of this SB's just go buy the History of this great Franchise. You will be amazed of the damage we inflicted on other teams. Even in todays game we inflict pain on teams and they remember us going into the next game but back then we really brought the pain. Steelers teams old and new is known for there toughness on the field and remembered even if we loose that they played the steelers that day.

sumo
01-30-2007, 08:01 PM
I was just kidding, but I will say that I thought the 94 team was better then the 89 team.

I agree the SF '94 team was the best SF team ever, but nobody in the media would ever say that because Montana wasn't the QB - but of all the teams in history, I think the '94 49ers were the only team that could approach the '78 Steelers...

Elvis
01-30-2007, 10:52 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
That '78 Steelers team had it all baby! Defense/Offense. Just hand them the crown now. The '72 Dolphins can say all they want but the Steelers should have beaten them that year in the playoffs. They didnt have 3 of their marquee players on that 72 steelers team and we still should have beaten them.:wave: