PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith Lobbying Browns to Draft Him

alittlejazzbird
01-31-2007, 05:00 PM
The first time I've ever heard of a player saying they want to play for the Browns! :sofunny:

Troy Smith lobbying Browns to draft him
The Associated Press

CLEVELAND - Usually the one avoiding pressure, Troy Smith is putting the heat on the Cleveland Browns.

Ohio State?s Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback is lobbying his hometown team to select him in April?s NFL draft, and he isn?t missing any chance to remind the Browns that he?ll be available to them soon.

Smith was named the area?s outstanding collegiate athlete at Tuesday night?s Greater Cleveland Sports Awards, and during a taped acceptance speech he thanked the city?s fans for their support.

?Hopefully, I?ll get a chance to represent you guys at the next level with the Cleveland Browns,? he said.

Smith hasn?t hidden his desire to play for the Browns, who after finishing 4-12 last season will pick either third or fourth in April?s draft. During a recent halftime ceremony at an Ohio State basketball game, Smith wore a Browns jacket.

Following a tribute for him at Glenville High School in December, Smith said playing for the Browns would fulfill a lifelong goal.

?I have dreamed about it and talked about it countless times with my mother,? he said. ?All she talks about is saving the Browns. If that were to happen, that would be a dream come true because I could stay in the community and give back.?

Last year, Texas quarterback Vince Young made a similar plea to Houston, hoping to play for his hometown team. However, the Texans took defensive end Mario Williams with the No. 1 overall pick instead. Young ended up going to Tennessee at No. 3 and was named the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year after leading the Titans to an 8-8 record.

Most draft experts have forecast Smith being taken in the second or third round. The knock on Smith is that he?s not a prototypical pocket passer and that he?s too small ? he was listed at 6-foot-1 on Ohio State?s roster and measured 6-foot at last week?s Senior Bowl.

One of his former high school and college teammates believes Smith is being underestimated.

?He should be a first-round pick,? said Buffalo safety Donte Whitner, the No. 8 pick overall last year by the Bills. ?I don?t think there is a problem with his height. He has shown what he can do on the field, he?s a winner. He has won the big games, except for the last one. I believe in him.

?They said the same thing about Drew Brees, but he changed the New Orleans Saints organization around this year.?

Smith didn?t end his college career on a good note as he was roughed up by Florida?s defense in a 41-14 loss in the BCS national championship. However, Browns general manager Phil Savage said Smith?s performance shouldn?t hurt his draft status.

?One game doesn?t make a career,? he said. ?It was unfortunate the way it unfolded. That is the only sport that I know of where they take 50 days off and then play the championship. Troy had a terrific career at Ohio State, he won the Heisman Trophy, he?s from Cleveland and well see how the draft unfolds in all of that.?

The Browns seem committed to starting either Charlie Frye or Derek Anderson at quarterback next season, so if they pick a QB, it probably won?t be until the later rounds of the two-day draft on April 28-29.

Frye said he isn?t concerned about the possibility of the Browns bringing in another quarterback.

?If you?re worried about that, you?re worrying about the wrong things,? he said.

Smith isn?t the only Clevelander dreaming of playing for the Browns.

Wide receiver/returner Ted Ginn Jr., Smith?s teammate at Glenville and Ohio State, is skipping his senior college season for the NFL. He, too, said he would like to trade a silver helmet for an orange one.

?It?s always been a dream to play for the Browns,? he said. ?Why would I want to go anywhere else but Cleveland??

Ginn still is wearing a protective walking boot after spraining his left foot in the BCS title game. Ginn said his injury, which happened during a celebration after he returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown, is getting better and that he?ll work out for pro scouts once it?s 100 percent.

He said watching from the sideline on crutches during the Gators? thrashing of the top-ranked Buckeyes was difficult.

?Oh, man, it was very tough to see my team go down like that and not be able to help them at all,? he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16889944/

boLT fan
01-31-2007, 05:03 PM
If the Browns draft a QB in the early rounds, they are stupid. They need to just build around Frye, he'll be a good QB.

With that said, the Browns will probably draft a QB in the first round.

sumo
01-31-2007, 05:42 PM
the title of this thread should be 'Troy Smith Lobbying for a Death Wish'

boLT fan
01-31-2007, 05:44 PM
the title of this thread should be 'Troy Smith Lobbying for a Death Wish'

Or "Troy Smith hates football"

RoethlisBURGHer
01-31-2007, 08:03 PM
Brady Quinn has also said that he wants to play for the Browns.

If the Browns are smart the dradt only offensive and defensive linemen the first day.

However,this is the Browns...and they will take Quinn or Russel,whichever falls to them,and throw them behind one of the bottom o-lines in football and obliterate another promising NFL career.

SteelCzar76
01-31-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm going to go on record now with saying that the Clowns do draft Troy Smith. And unfortunately he will change the entire 'dynamic' of their offense for the better. Russell has the physical tools regarding size and athleticism. But in my opinion Smith (though lacking Russell's size),....is still the best Qb of his class this year. (Followed by Drew Stanton)
And for those wondering why i did not mention Quinn,....lets just say,.....Kyle Boller. LOL

RoethlisBURGHer
01-31-2007, 08:24 PM
And for those wondering why i did not mention Quinn,....lets just say,.....Kyle Boller. LOL

Brady Quinn will be a good QB and put up some good numbers...he won't be as good as Manning though.Also,Quinn will choke in every big game he plays.

boLT fan
01-31-2007, 08:25 PM
I'm going to go on record now with saying that the Clowns do draft Troy Smith. And unfortunately he will change the entire 'dynamic' of their offense for the better. Russell has the physical tools regarding size and athleticism. But in my opinion Smith (though lacking Russell's size),....is still the best Qb of his class this year. (Followed by Drew Stanton)

Troy Smith as the best in the draft class? WTF? :screwy:

SteelCzar76
01-31-2007, 08:41 PM
Troy Smith as the best in the draft class? WTF? :screwy:

Don't hurt yourself,.......you will know the truth soon enough as to whom is :screwy: or not in regards as to whom is the best Qb of this years draft class.

Livinginthe past
01-31-2007, 09:03 PM
I think its a refreshing change to the situation Eli Manning and his father perpetrated at the 2004 draft, by insisting on picking his team rather than vice-versa.

Good luck to him.

NM

Hines0wnz
02-01-2007, 01:55 PM
I think its a refreshing change to the situation Eli Manning and his father perpetrated at the 2004 draft, by insisting on picking his team rather than vice-versa.

Good luck to him.

NM

Good point and if he does fall to the 2nd or 3rd round and is available.....then why not.

stlrtruck
02-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Obviously Troy Brown has already forgotten the beating he took at the hands of the Florida Gators and now insists on being drafted by a team so he can take a similar beating twice a year by the Steelers and twice a year by the ratbirds...

Or it could be that he stunk up the BCS Championship Game he wants his uniform in the NFL to match the game.

Elvis
02-01-2007, 02:13 PM
:tt02: I just hate to say this but I just dont think that Troy will be a bigtime NFL QB. He looks very good in college and all but I think that even maybe Chris Leak could end up being a better NFL QB than Smith. Just a hunch of mine, but neither one will be a Hall Of Famer. I think that Quinn will be just about like the Jets QB now Pennington that is....:wave:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
If the Browns draft a QB in the early rounds, they are stupid. They need to just build around Frye, he'll be a good QB.

With that said, the Browns will probably draft a QB in the first round.

Browns are in a position to possibly draft Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson!!!...if you can give Frye... Edwards...Winslow...and Peterson or Johnson as weapons, you GO for it...you can get your linemen in FA and in the second or third rounds....Dont forget...They get their Stud Center back from injury this year which gives their O-line an automatic upgrade..and therefore should make Frye better by giving him some time to get rid of the ball. If I'm drafting for them I grab Peterson..and bank on Smith being their at #3 in the second round...and use him like El. I pick up a lineman in the third like Grubbs from Auburn...

With that said, the Browns will probably draft a QB in the first round

stlrtruck
02-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Browns are in a position to possibly draft Adrian Peterson or Calvin Johnson!!!...if you can give Frye... Edwards...Winslow...and Peterson or Johnson as weapons, you GO for it...you can get your linemen in FA and in the second or third rounds....Dont forget...They get their Stud Center back from injury this year which gives their O-line an automatic upgrade..and therefore should make Frye better by giving him some time to get rid of the ball. If I'm drafting for them I grab Peterson..and bank on Smith being their at #3 in the second round...and use him like El. I pick up a lineman in the third like Grubbs from Auburn...

With that said, the Browns will probably draft a QB in the first round

I guess it's a good thing you don't work for the Browns!

RoethlisBURGHer
02-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Dont forget...They get their Stud Center back from injury this year which gives their O-line an automatic upgrade

He might not be back.If he has this second surgery,he's sidelined for 2007 season.He also,IMHO,will never be the same player he was after this injury.