PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Steelers - SB Team #3

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2007, 12:57 PM
The 1978 Steelers are team #3 in the NFL Network America's Game series. Initial showing is at 9 p.m. Friday - the real killer Bs (Blount, Bleier, and Bradshaw) are the interviews.

For some reason #4 is not up, but my guess is it will be the 1989 49ers, which will leave the one shot wonder 1985 Bears and 1972 Dolphins as the top two teams. Since the Dolphins are the only undefeated team ranking them #1 certainly would be a legitimate choice.

These ratings obviously are arbitrary and FWIW the 78 Steelers not getting #1 is more defensible than such other rankings shows such as ESPN Sports Century getting caught up in the hype of the moment and ranking Michael Jordan over Ali and Babe Ruth as top athlete of the 20th century.

I am just glad the NFL made these programs and am looking forward to the programs on the 1974, 1979 and 2005 champs that will run later this year.

augustashark
02-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Little BS here, I would agree that the 72 fins are a solid #1 choice. The 85 Bears as #2?????, this one is a hard sell! Trying not to be a homer, but I could pick at least 4 or 5 teams that I think are better then that 85 team. Opinions are like *&*^%%*, everyone has one. I will look forward to the show Friday night.

steelerbackr4life
02-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Ill set my DVR

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Little BS here, I would agree that the 72 fins are a solid #1 choice. The 85 Bears as #2?????, this one is a hard sell! Trying not to be a homer, but I could pick at least 4 or 5 teams that I think are better then that 85 team. Opinions are like *&*^%%*, everyone has one. I will look forward to the show Friday night.

Youre right...but unfortunatly they had the poll in the same year that the Bears make it back to the Superbowl...so every numbnut with a computer and vague recollection of the superbowl shuffle can go online and vote for "their" team...even though they dont know the difference between a cover 2 and a coverall.

Mosca
02-01-2007, 02:18 PM
The freakin' '85 Bears were WAAAAAAAAAY better than the league that year, but they weren't better than a lot of other great teams; they wouldn't have beaten the '76 Steelers.

And I agree, if the poll had been held last year I'd expect the '78 Steelers to leapfrog the Bears. No big deal, though. They were both great teams, had great seasons, and it will be fun to watch the recaps.

Tom

sumo
02-01-2007, 02:22 PM

No kidding - the Bears were lucky to be playing the Pats in that SB - it was a total fluke when the Pats got past Miami in the playoffs - Bears still would have won it that year, but if they had faced Miami, it would have been a much closer game - Marino's quick release and protection made their 4-6 look silly when they played earlier in the season- what did he put up on'em something like 45 points? ...

tony hipchest
02-01-2007, 02:25 PM
i cant wait to hear blounts commentary. he's always been one of my favorite interviews from the era. he has a very engaging personality and has never been over exposed. blier and of course bradshaw are excellent choises to round this out.

besides jerome, i wonder who the 3 will be for the 2005 version.

interesting tid bit: nfl films shoots more film each year than all the hollywood studios combined.

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2007, 02:32 PM
The rankings where the Steelers came in #3 are based on the so-called "blue ribbon panel" of mostly media types but some coaches, front office types and players as well. There is a separate fans poll ranking that will be used during the all day showings on February 11 - Da Bears are in the lead in the fans poll.

After I get done posting this the mystery #4 team probably will turn out to be the 85 Bears, but I think that team is so highly regarded because it tore up three fairly mediocre opponents in the playoffs (Giants/Rams/Pats - defending champ 49ers crashed in the Meadowlands in the playoffs ) and was the first team after cable sports coverage really arrived to play to the media hype (we're not here to cause any trouble,we're just here to do the Super Bowl Shuffle" :smile: )

At least one writer and (of all people) Brian Billick do not buy into the 85 Bears hype:

Da Busts
Mid-'80s Bears were NFL's most disappointing team

Michael Silver - SI.com

Thanks to their dominant defense, spectacular season and over-the-top Super Bowl performance, the 1985 Chicago Bears are often ranked at or near the top of people's 'Greatest Teams of Alltime' lists.

Here in sunny South Florida, where the 2006 edition of the House That Halas Built is preparing for the second Super Bowl appearance in franchise history, I'd like to throw another superlative at those mid-'80s Bears.

They were the biggest underachievers in NFL history....

"When we broke the Bears' record for fewest points allowed in a season in 2000," Ravens coach Brian Billick said on Tuesday night, "it wasn't the record from the Super Bowl run -- it was from '86, when they got bounced from the playoffs. Not many people realize that, but it shows you how good they could have been."

I asked Billick if he felt those Bears teams had underachieved. "That's the age-old debate about the '85 Bears vs. the run Pittsburgh had in the '70s or a team like the ['80s] 49ers or ['90s] Cowboys," he said. "To put it in different parlance, does the one-hit wonder or the long track record of some of those other teams prevail -- and which do you admire more?"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/michael_silver/02/01/bears.letdown/index.html?cnn=yes

The fact that I agree with anything Billick says is very disturbing.

IMHO the 78 Steelers and 89 49ers had greatness on both sides of the ball and would have beaten the 85 Bears.

SteelerFanInCA
02-01-2007, 02:32 PM
i cant wait to hear blounts commentary. he's always been one of my favorite interviews from the era. he has a very engaging personality and has never been over exposed. blier and of course bradshaw are excellent choises to round this out.

besides jerome, i wonder who the 3 will be for the 2005 version.

interesting tid bit: nfl films shoots more film each year than all the hollywood studios combined.

Same here. I'm looking forward to seeing what old Mel has to say. Blount is definietly one of my all time favorite Steelers. It would be nice to see us pick up a defensive back that had Blount's size. That guy was a beast.

sumo
02-01-2007, 02:39 PM
The freakin' '85 Bears were WAAAAAAAAAY better than the league that year, but they weren't better than a lot of other great teams; they wouldn't have beaten the '76 Steelers.

And I agree, if the poll had been held last year I'd expect the '78 Steelers to leapfrog the Bears. No big deal, though. They were both great teams, had great seasons, and it will be fun to watch the recaps.

Tom

I don't know, the 85 Bears were good, but the Pats were custom made for a major beating in the SB - you couldn't ask for a better match-up - slow footed QB that doesn't feel comfortbale in the shot gun with a slow release - this game had Foreman vs Frazier written all over it - as I said in my other reply, if the Bears had faced Marino in the SB that year....anyway - IMHO, all of the teams the Steelers beat in their SBs were much better and I think this should be more of a factor with these 'panel experts'

tony hipchest
02-01-2007, 02:46 PM
After I get done posting this the mystery #4 team probably will turn out to be the 85 Bears, but I think that team is so highly regarded because it tore up three fairly mediocre opponents in the playoffs (Giants/Rams/Pats - defending champ 49ers crashed in the Meadowlands in the playoffs ) and was the first team after cable sports coverage really arrived to play to the media hype (we're not here to cause any trouble,we're just here to do the Super Bowl Shuffle" :smile: )

im almost certain its the 49ers. i saw a preview for it thismorning with g. seifert doing the commentary. (great story he tells of waiting to be carried off the field like all the great coaches before him- he was unintentionally dissed and had to walk off the field alone :chuckle:)

tony hipchest
02-01-2007, 02:52 PM
The fact that I agree with anything Billick says is very disturbing.

IMHO the 78 Steelers and 89 49ers had greatness on both sides of the ball and would have beaten the 85 Bears.ive always thought ozzie smith was a smart man. about a year and a half ago he was asked in an interview who was the best team, and more specifically team of all time. he had played the steelers regularly, the 85 bears, and the lawrence taylor giants. he put together the 00 ravens. without hesitation, and with a laugh, he said "absolutely, without a doubt the pittsburgh steelers".

steelerbackr4life
02-01-2007, 03:07 PM

Their building is only a few miles from me. The place is awesome if you ever get the oppertunity I highly recomend a tour. It is amazing.

tony hipchest
02-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Their building is only a few miles from me. The place is awesome if you ever get the oppertunity I highly recomend a tour. It is amazing.real sports with gumbel ran a piece on them this week. they showed the building and then showed the vault where all the film is kept. amazing. 100,000,000 feet of film in that vault. (the fire insurance must be through the roof!)

if im ever in the area, its definitely something i will do

steelerbackr4life
02-01-2007, 03:30 PM
real sports with gumbel ran a piece on them this week. they showed the building and then showed the vault where all the film is kept. amazing. 100,000,000 feet of film in that vault. (the fire insurance must be through the roof!)

if im ever in the area, its definitely something i will do

Im lucky enough that a few friends work there and I got to see alot of the every day things that go on. The amount of effort that goes into everything they put out is a pleasure to watch. Those guys work an incredible amount of hours during the season. Most of them barely see their family from Sunday night until Wednesday night at best.

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Your original guess was correct. The '89 49ers are the number 4 team. A commercial was just shown on NFL Network stating the number 3 and 4 teams. They're on at 8pm (EST) with the '78 Steelers following at 9pm.

I obviously would have been outvoted on the panel - I would put both the 49ers and Steelers ahead of the 85 Bears and 72 Dolphins.

For that matter I would have the 92 Cowboys at #3, with the observation that if Johnson and Jones would not have gotten a divorce that team probably would have won 4 straight SBs and be regarded as the greatest team ever - post-salary cap you will never be able to assemble talent that is so far beyond the rest of the league again.

But these debates are what the series is intended to instigate. The Facenda narrated SB and season highlight films are great but I am glad the 70s Steelers are being featured in some new NFL Films programs.

fansince'76
02-01-2007, 03:43 PM
I obviously would have been outvoted on the panel - I would put both the 49ers and Steelers ahead of the 85 Bears and 72 Dolphins.

You're not alone there, Dan - I would have put the '78 Steelers and '89 49ers 1 and 2, respectively, as well. I can't really argue with the '72 Dolphins, but the '85 Bears being picked above the Steelers and Niners kinda torques me off. Again, it's all opinion.

sumo
02-01-2007, 03:52 PM
You're not alone there, Dan - I would have put the '78 Steelers and '89 49ers 1 and 2, respectively, as well. I can't really argue with the '72 Dolphins, but the '85 Bears being picked above the Steelers and Niners kinda torques me off. Again, it's all opinion.

I agree also, but I don't even think the '89 49ers team was the best ever from the '49ers - like the 85 Bears, they got the perfect matchup in the SB - so they looked REALLY good in the SB...but the media has to pick one of the 49er teams with Joe at QB, so the '94 team is dissed...

fansince'76
02-01-2007, 07:58 PM
I agree also, but I don't even think the '89 49ers team was the best ever from the '49ers - like the 85 Bears, they got the perfect matchup in the SB - so they looked REALLY good in the SB...but the media has to pick one of the 49er teams with Joe at QB, so the '94 team is dissed...

Like I said, all opinion. However, there's a fun but meaningless way to find out. I don't know if you're aware of the site WhatIfSports - you can pick the teams and years to play against each other and can even have them play each other at a neutral site: http://www.whatifsports.com/nfl/default.asp. It's every bit as valid as a "blue ribbon panel" ranking.

sumo
02-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Like I said, all opinion. However, there's a fun but meaningless way to find out. I don't know if you're aware of the site WhatIfSports - you can pick the teams and years to play against each other and can even have them play each other at a neutral site: http://www.whatifsports.com/nfl/default.asp. It's every bit as valid as a "blue ribbon panel" ranking.

Pretty interesting - I played a few scenarios thru - the 78 Steelers lost to the '85 Bears, but the '75 Steelers beat them...also, the '78 Steelers beat all the 49er teams I played against them...the most intriguing part of it for me was the box scores - they really do match the personnel spot on - somebody put a lot of good programming behind this site..

fansince'76
02-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Pretty interesting - I played a few scenarios thru - the 78 Steelers lost to the '85 Bears, but the '75 Steelers beat them...

I missed the '75 Steelers by a year (damn!), but Atlanta Dan said a few nights ago that he considered the '75 Steelers to be even better than the '78 edition. He'd love that site - anybody interested in the history of the NFL would.

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2007, 09:16 PM

Thanks for the link ... I guess.

Getting me to that site is like giving crack to an addict.

sumo
02-02-2007, 11:31 AM

There's a lot of detail on that site - it's almost kind of spooky when you look at the box scores - they look like the game really happened, because all of the stats are appropriate for each player...

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2007, 11:36 AM
There's a lot of detail on that site - it's almost kind of spooky when you look at the box scores - they look like the game really happened, because all of the stats are appropriate for each player...

Yeah - I ran a game between the 1985 Bears and 1976 Steelers and in the 4th quarter Kruczek replaced Bradshaw at QB. Bradshaw getting knocked out midway through a game against that Bears defense would make perfect sense.

Was surprised my 1989 49ers-1978 Steelers game was not higher scoring, but someone did some good programming for that site.

Preacher
02-02-2007, 12:12 PM

:pity: I understand. 20 minutes was gone before I knew it!

tony hipchest
02-02-2007, 06:00 PM
the highlight clip preview for this show featured green, grossman, and blier. i hear plenty from bradshaw, so i wouldnt mind if he isnt in it, but i sure would like to hear blounts points of view.

green says where he was knocked out during the game and doesnt even remember parts of it. (this seems to be a recurring theme. reminds me of shannon sharpe not remebering practically the whole game due to a concussion)

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2007, 06:16 PM
the highlight clip preview for this show featured green, grossman, and blier. i hear plenty from bradshaw, so i wouldnt mind if he isnt in it, but i sure would like to hear blounts points of view.

green says where he was knocked out during the game and doesnt even remember parts of it. (this seems to be a recurring theme. reminds me of shannon sharpe not remebering practically the whole game due to a concussion)

The NFL Network web site has done this twice now - the printed preview for the 1975 Steelers progarm said it would be Swann, White and Lambert but only had current day photos of Swann and White, with a blank space for where Lambert's photo would go. Then Mike Wagner was the third interview, which was fine.

The web site said Bradshaw, Bleier and Blount were the 3 interviews for the 1978 Steelers program, with photos of Bleier, Blount and a blank space where Bradshaw would go. Now Joe Greene has filled the third photo slot for the 78 Steelers program, which of course also is fine.

It is not as if they are editing these programs this week - odd Lambert was in the written blurb for the 75 Steelers and Bradshaw was (and still is) in the written blurb for the 78 Steelers program.

I hope Lambert shows up in either the 74 or 79 Steelers programs - Bradshaw may be pulling a variation on the same stunts he pulled when Montana & Brad were not introduced with alll the other SB MVPs at the start of last year's SB (which was a great visual) because they both wanted to be paid to participate and Brad has only returned to Pittsburgh if he has a book or anti-depressant medication to publicize.

tony hipchest
02-02-2007, 06:50 PM
I hope Lambert shows up in either the 74 or 79 Steelers programs - Bradshaw may be pulling a variation on the same stunts he pulled when Montana & Brad were not introduced with alll the other SB MVPs at the start of last year's SB (which was a great visual) because they both wanted to be paid to participate and Brad has only returned to Pittsburgh if he has a book or anti-depressant medication to publicize.:chuckle: bradshaws time definitely is money. ive read his books, seen the movies, passed on the albums, and watch him weekly on fox.

i would much rather see the more low key retrospective of a lambert or blount. hearing bradshaw bring his same old jokes to the table (as much as i appreciate his brand of humor) would be a bit "old hat".

tony hipchest
02-02-2007, 07:53 PM
very wierd watching sb # 4 leading up to this, with the 89 49ers. good stuff, but to see old footage of mike holmgren skinny, and new footage of tom rathman looking like a meth addict is definitely odd.

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Lots I enjoyed, but Mel Blount summed it all up for me with this statement (apologize if it is a paraphrase):

Football is a physical game. Well at least it used to be.

NM

tony hipchest
02-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Lots I enjoyed, but Mel Blount summed it all up for me with this statement (apologize if it is a paraphrase):

Football is a physical game. Well at least it used to be.
NMlol. i never realized the 5 yard contact rule was known as the "mel blount rule". worked out ok for the steelers. especially considering TB threw a league leading 28 td's and was named the leagues mvp.

was this the greatest story ever told? probably not, but it sure seemed like it :smile: who did the 72 dolphins beat? chumps
85 bears? chumps
89 49ers? chumps
78 steelers? defending champs and "americas team"

im just going offa memory but i dont think any sb has been decided with both teams scoring 30+ points.

sure the dolphins went undefeated, but that is overrated in a day where teams throw final games of a 16 game schedule just to rest their players. will it happen again? probably not. but the next team that goes 17-0 could very well lose its final game and be looked at as losers.

the rocky bleier story never gets old. i gotta see that 1980 made for tv movie that was made about him. anyone remember that movie that was made with the steelers and that kid? anyone got the name?