PDA

View Full Version : Heinz Field playing surface ranked worst in league

83-Steelers-43
02-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Steelers playing surface voted worst grass field in league
Thursday, February 01, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- Heinz Field was rated the worst grass playing field in the National Football League in a poll of players conducted the past season by their union.

A total of 1,498 players voted Heinz Field the No. 2 ranking among the 19 grass fields in the league, but the Patriots' Gillette Stadium was converted to artificial Field Turf before the end of the 2006 season, leaving the Steelers' surface as the worst.

The results of the survey were released by the NFLPA this afternoon.

Even the Steelers players don't think much of their own playing field. Of the 48 who answered the survey, 25 ranked Heinz Field's surface as "poor," 16 as "fair," 7 as "good" and none as "excellent."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07032/758734-66.stm

Livinginthe past
02-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Do they take a poll like this every year, or is it a unsubtle nudge to the Rooneys to spend money on the field rather than a huge LCD screen?

NM

CargoJon
02-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Apparently they forgot to watch the NFC Championship game at Soldier Field then......

Atlanta Dan
02-01-2007, 05:30 PM
We're #1!!!

Many thanks to the Pats for ripping up the motocross track at Gillette midseason and allowing Heinz to receive its richly deserved recognition as the worst field in the NFL.

What an embarassment.

Stlrs4Life
02-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Something I think we all knew already. Doesn't surprise me 1 bit. Sad that Baltisore and Cincy have better playing fields than us.

polamalufan43
02-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I think we definately need new turf or something. That was kinda obvious when everyone kept slipping during games.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

SteelerFanInTX210
02-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Well its going to stay like that for awhile because i dont think that were going to spend any money on better turf.

steelerbackr4life
02-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Do they take a poll like this every year, or is it a unsubtle nudge to the Rooneys to spend money on the field rather than a huge LCD screen?

NM

Yes they take this and other polls every year

SteelCityMan786
02-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Well its going to stay like that for awhile because i dont think that were going to spend any money on better turf.

Nothing wrong with the surface to me. Grass, Mud/Dirt. Perfect Field Conditions for Football. Don't be afraid to get the jersey dirty.

klick81
02-01-2007, 08:11 PM
I'm shocked...

BOXCAR JOEY
02-01-2007, 08:23 PM
I've walked across the field in a tour before and it seemed awesome to me. Honestly a "real" football field has to have battle wounds.

Blitzburgh
02-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I've walked across the field in a tour before and it seemed awesome to me. Honestly a "real" football field has to have battle wounds.

Then you must have been drunk of your arse because the turf at Heinz Field is like walking through a sandbox of kitty litter. It's an embarassment. This poll doesn't surprise me at all. Our field was in pathetic shape in week #4 last year when we played the Bungals at home.

The Steelers are built for speed. Why they wouldn't invest in a new age turf system like the Pats did last year .... and the Ravens and Bungals have is beyond me.

Infamix
02-01-2007, 09:45 PM
What a surprise....not

ChronoCross
02-01-2007, 09:58 PM
A new coach, and basically all new staff. A new big screen. Maybe new field turf would be great to start the new era.

ThatGuy246
02-02-2007, 12:22 AM

NM

Excellent question. Is this a regular poll, or is there a possibility that they released this as a subtle indicator in hopes of persuading us to switch to a more durable surface?

ThatGuy246
02-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Yes they take this and other polls every year

Apologies, didn't see your reply. Thanks for mentioning it. I haven't seen such information previously, but would admittedly find it surprising to find that the league would initiate and conduct such a poll just for the sake of trying to sway one team. Thanks!

-Deej

Cape Cod Steel Head
02-02-2007, 11:06 AM
Honestly, How hard is it to grow grass?

wiqidjuggalo
02-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Honestly, How hard is it to grow grass?

When it comes to playing football on it 2 sometimes 3 games a week, prettu hard...

I think everyone knows the old saying... "Grass doesn't grow on a busy field."

Cape Cod Steel Head
02-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Then they need to either adjust Pitts and The Steelers scheudles so they don't both play on it the same week, or go to the hybrid. The turf was horrible in its first year, after only a few games.

SteelerFanInCA
02-02-2007, 01:51 PM
They might as well just play the game in the parking lot then; at least then they would get better traction.

Big D
02-02-2007, 01:59 PM
Nothing wrong with the surface to me. Grass, Mud/Dirt. Perfect Field Conditions for Football. Don't be afraid to get the jersey dirty.

I have to agree. What do nfl players expect to have field turf covering some memory foam.

Haiku_Dirtt
02-02-2007, 02:02 PM

NM

Why spend money on the ground when everyones eyes - including the players - are glued to the tube.

:idea: Just paint the mud green before each game.

Steelersfan4life0655
02-02-2007, 02:36 PM
i dont know i guess you could use this as an advantage, our players will get use to the fact that they know how to play in shitty litter and opposing teams have problems with the footing. :wink02:

Preacher
02-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Honestly, I think it is a combination of a lot of different things.

1. Over use.

2. Cold weather

3. Windy conditions (Drying out the grass/dirt, especially in the open part of the field)

4. ??

I think real grass is a necessity. It stops player injuries. I just wonder why we have so much problem with the turf.

sumo
02-02-2007, 04:20 PM
I can't imagine a worse surface then what I saw for the Bears vs Saints 2 weeks ago ...no way Heinz field is worse than Soldier field..

83-Steelers-43
02-02-2007, 04:41 PM
4. ??

Location can't help. Close to the river.

SLANCHOR
02-02-2007, 07:37 PM
i have heard that they play 4 high school games on the same day for there playoffs.that alone will kill the field. taxpayers in pittsburgh should be happy though atleast they are using what they are paying for.

BOXCAR JOEY
02-02-2007, 07:46 PM
Then you must have been drunk of your arse because the turf at Heinz Field is like walking through a sandbox of kitty litter. It's an embarassment. This poll doesn't surprise me at all. Our field was in pathetic shape in week #4 last year when we played the Bungals at home.

The Steelers are built for speed. Why they wouldn't invest in a new age turf system like the Pats did last year .... and the Ravens and Bungals have is beyond me.

Well yea i was a little bit buzzed.

83-Steelers-43
02-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Grass won't be greener (or new)
Dan Rooney defends Steelers' disliked turf
Saturday, February 03, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- The Steelers have no plans to change their grass field despite its poor showing in a survey of NFL players, Dan Rooney said yesterday.

"You're looking for beauty rather than practicality," said Rooney, the team chairman. "We have the best field as far as traction that you can have. You didn't see anybody slip, or very few slips during the year."

That wasn't how the players saw it when they rated Heinz Field the worst of the 18 current grass fields in the league.

The Steelers installed a grass surface when they opened Heinz Field in 2001, and have resurfaced it many times. In 2003, they installed DD GrassMaster, which contains grass with some synthetic fibers that helps anchor it. They resurfaced the field again in 2005 with DD GrassMaster.

Rooney said they have no plans to change it.

"Not at this time, nope," Rooney said.

He disputed the survey, which includes a majority of his own players saying Heinz Field has a poor surface.

"Our field is fine. I have no complaints about our field, and we've looked into it."

The Steelers have considered artificial turf, such as the FieldTurf they have on the surface of their UPMC indoor facility.

"We could do that, but we'd lose something," Rooney said. "We would lose the basic thing as far as our players playing on regular grass, having a good, safe field, things like that."

The Steelers and Pitt share Heinz Field, which also is the site for five high school championship games each year. An occasional concert is held there.

"It receives a lot of wear and tear, but it's been OK," Rooney said.

Rooney also said he took no meaning from NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw's comments Thursday congratulating him because he "walked the walk" when he hired a minority head coach, Mike Tomlin.

"Gene's a good friend of mine. I am very proud of the Steelers' handling [of] minorities from the beginning. We had a minority on our very first team, 1933. We had the first coach in Lowell Perry [1957]. We had the first coordinator in Tony Dungy [1984]. I'm extremely proud."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07034/759130-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
02-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Article from the Trib: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_491607.html

Atlanta Dan
02-03-2007, 09:13 AM
"You're looking for beauty rather than practicality," said Rooney, the team chairman. "We have the best field as far as traction that you can have. You didn't see anybody slip, or very few slips during the year."

There are two explanations for that statement - either Dan Rooney has lost his sight or he is lying.

tony hipchest
02-03-2007, 11:16 AM

There are two explanations for that statement - either Dan Rooney has lost his sight or he is lying.after these comments dan rooney even went out to the field and ran a few routes just to demonstrate. its good :thumbsup:

SteelersTilIDie
02-03-2007, 01:34 PM
The playing surface on heinz field is horrible. All the players slip and slide everywhere. I definitely think that the Steelers should install a new playing surface.

Elvis
02-04-2007, 06:47 AM
The playing surface on heinz field is horrible. All the players slip and slide everywhere. I definitely think that the Steelers should install a new playing surface.
:tt02: :coffee: :tt02:
I must say... that I agree and anyone watching any Steelers games the last few years must agree.:helmet:

CargoJon
02-04-2007, 09:58 AM
I can't imagine a worse surface then what I saw for the Bears vs Saints 2 weeks ago ...no way Heinz field is worse than Soldier field..

See my post on pg 1 of the thread...I 100% agree with you, it was awful.

alittlejazzbird
02-04-2007, 04:51 PM

There are two explanations for that statement - either Dan Rooney has lost his sight or he is lying.

Dan Rooney's comments are mystifying to me. I have the utmost respect and admiration for him, but I was scratching my head after I read that article. A huge majority of surveyed NFL players, including a number of Steelers, spoke loud and clear when they ranked Heinz Field at the bottom of the heap. Mr. Rooney says he hasn't heard anything negative from his players; either that statement is not true (something I would not expect from Mr. Rooney), he hasn't asked the players what they think, or the players are hesitant to speak frankly. There's a big disconnect between Mr. Rooney's perception and the players' perceptions. Again, no disrespect to Mr. Rooney, but he doesn't have to go out there and do his job on that field. It's dismaying to hear that improvements are not in the works.