PDA

View Full Version : LT rights a wrong

Livinginthe past
02-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Despite his postgame comments I always maintained LT was a stand up guy - this confirms it.

Its not always easy to admit you are wrong, especially to such a wide audience.

San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson said he's looking forward to being coached by Bill Belichick in the Pro Bowl.

Tomlinson added that he spoke in the heat of the moment when he suggested the Patriots' post-game celebration after their playoff win over the Chargers -- which he felt was classless -- was a reflection on Belichick.

"Obviously, the head coach is the leader of the team, but he can't control what his players do," Tomlinson said this morning after accepting the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award along with Drew Brees. "A lot of times, in the heat of the battle or right after the game, you kind of say things sometimes that you want to take back.

"For me to say they probably get it from their head coach, that may be not true. I don't know that for sure. I think more times that players react in ways that may be classless, it has nothing to do with the coach.

"So I'm looking forward to seeing Bill and having him coach the game. I think we'll have a good time."

Tomlinson also said his remarks about not wanting to say two words to Belichick might have been misinterpreted. He said he didn't plan to say two words about the post-game incident.

"I think they know it was wrong, but at the same time, Bill has no control over that. It's not a fact that I won't talk to him," Tomlinson said.

stlrtruck
02-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Someone just called him out on it and now he's trying to back pedal from something he really doesn't. He meant it. In two years the pansies will probably be the next team with more arrests than victories (LOL)!

Nice to see LT stepping up to the plate (in all seriousness).

tony hipchest
02-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Despite his postgame comments I always maintained LT was a stand up guy - this confirms it.

Its not always easy to admit you are wrong, especially to such a wide audience.i missed the part where he admitted being wrong. i did catch the part where he said the pats players were wrong though.

"For me to say they probably get it from their head coach, that may be not true. I don't know that for sure.
way to polish your image some, yet still not back away from your convictions and offer lip service, LT. we ALL know for sure belichick is classless and lacts respect for others. just ask ted johnson.

Preacher
02-02-2007, 12:36 PM
This was LT's way of sticking to the facts, but trying to not let it turn personal. Good for him.

augustashark
02-02-2007, 01:14 PM
"Wrong"? I don't think that he needed to right a wrong. The pats were classless and anything a team does on the field of play is an extension of the head coach end of story!

klick81
02-02-2007, 01:35 PM
This was LT's way of sticking to the facts, but trying to not let it turn personal. Good for him.

Exactly. He didn't say anything that was necessarily false. No need to take it back...

Atlanta Dan
02-02-2007, 01:36 PM
In "All The President's Men" a response by the Nixon White House to an allegation was described by the Washington Post reporters as a "non-denial denial." LT's retraction is just such a statement.

"Obviously, the head coach is the leader of the team, but he can't control what his players do" Saying a coach can't control his players is in its own way at least as big a diss to a control freak like Belichik.

"For me to say they probably get it from their head coach, that may be not true. I don't know that for sure. I think more times that players react in ways that may be classless, it has nothing to do with the coach." Not exactly a retraction.

After his playing days are over LT should consider getting into politics.:smile:

I think LT believes he got it right the first time and just wishes he would have kept his thoughts to himself.

boLT fan
02-02-2007, 04:35 PM
It's nice that he apologized, but he still wasn't wrong in the first place.

tony hipchest
02-02-2007, 06:42 PM
im thinking this thread was an obvious joke that probably should have been placed in the "blast furnace"

in other news: LT was named walter payton co man of the year along with drew brees. deservedly for both. have any pats ever won this award? of course not, because class trickles from the top, and winning superbowls is all that matters anyways, right?. :rolleyes:

im sure most patriots and their fans think this type of recognition is meaningless. after all antoine smith has more rings than walter payton.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-03-2007, 01:14 AM

Exactly.

When 'Chick wins,he's all for shaking hands and the usual post-game small talk "good game,you guys played tough but somebody had to win it" bs.

But if you beat him,he'll either give you the wet-pickle-no-eye-contact-1-second-no-words handshake and then give the other team no props whatsoever in the post-game interview.

Great exaple:

Regular season...Jets beat Patriots.'Chick wants no part of meeting with Magini after the loss.He basicly walks past him on the way to the locker room.

Playoffs...Patriots beat Jets and 'Chick is all for meeting his one-time protege at midfield after the win.

augustashark
02-03-2007, 01:44 PM
Exactly.

When 'Chick wins,he's all for shaking hands and the usual post-game small talk "good game,you guys played tough but somebody had to win it" bs.

But if you beat him,he'll either give you the wet-pickle-no-eye-contact-1-second-no-words handshake and then give the other team no props whatsoever in the post-game interview.

Great exaple:

Regular season...Jets beat Patriots.'Chick wants no part of meeting with Magini after the loss.He basicly walks past him on the way to the locker room.

Playoffs...Patriots beat Jets and 'Chick is all for meeting his one-time protege at midfield after the win.

Yea, he wanted to see Mangini so bad at mid field the he as someone here put it "Donkey punched" a cameraman to get to him!:sofunny:

Elvis
02-04-2007, 07:27 AM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I love L.T. and what he stands for. He loves his team and I didnt see anything wrong with the way he reacted. You must protect your house and that is what he was doing. I dont think that he should have appologized at all except maybe the part about Bellichick...:helmet:

meanjoecoop
02-04-2007, 09:10 AM
"Obviously, the head coach is the leader of the team, but he can't control what his players do" Saying a coach can't control his players is in its own way at least as big a diss to a control freak like Belichik.

Yep, he basically called him the equivalent of Marvin Lewis.

LT was justified in what he said about the patsies.

I didnt see anything wrong with the way he reacted. You must protect your house and that is what he was doing. I dont think that he should have appologized at all except maybe the part about Bellichick...:helmet:

Exactly, If they did something like that at Heinz Field I'd expect nothing less than to see Joey Porter beat the living hell out of somebody. No questions asked. :smile:

BozMan
02-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Exactly.

Great exaple:

Yup, Belichick is a classless jerk.

Another example: During the Steelers-Patriots game at Heinz Field early in the 2005 season, one of the Pats O-linemen went down with what looked like a serious injury. The Steelers' trainer came out to the field to offer assistance, as is customary for the home team's trainer to do. What does Belichick say to him? "Get the f*ck away from my player!"

Real classy guy, huh?

Which is why the Ted Johnson story should not be surprising at all.

BlacknGold76
02-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Yup, Belichick is a classless jerk.

Another example: During the Steelers-Patriots game at Heinz Field early in the 2005 season, one of the Pats O-linemen went down with what looked like a serious injury. The Steelers' trainer came out to the field to offer assistance, as is customary for the home team's trainer to do. What does Belichick say to him? "Get the f*ck away from my player!"

Real classy guy, huh?

Which is why the Ted Johnson story should not be surprising at all.

If that is true that truly is classeless.:jawdrop:

BozMan
02-05-2007, 12:49 AM
Found links to the P-G stories about Belichick's rudeness. I got the quote slightly wrong. He said "Get away from my f*cking player".

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05269/577963.stm (second item)

There were strange plays at Heinz Field yesterday, but nothing as out of the ordinary as Patriots coach Bill Belichick chasing Steelers trainer John Norwig away from one of his injured players.

As tackle Matt Light lay on the turf with a serious leg injury in the second quarter, Norwig ran over to see if he could help, as opposing trainers often will do with serious injuries.

Belichick walked out on the field and told Norwig, in no uncertain terms, to get away from his player. Norwig walked off the field and could be seen laughing about it with several Steelers doctors on the sideline.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05270/578384.stm

Even though New England coach Bill Belichick chased off Steelers trainer John Norwig from attending to one of his injured players Sunday, it did not prevent the Patriots from later asking the Steelers for crutches and some medication for the player.

Norwig, the Steelers' trainer since 1992, rushed onto the field with Pittsburgh EMS division chief Ron Romano when it was evident that Patriots tackle Matt Light was seriously injured in the second quarter Sunday at Heinz Field. That is normal procedure for the home team in such a situation because Romano would be the first to call for an ambulance if needed.

But when Belichick saw Norwig approach Light, who lay on the grass field, he came out to shoo him away. Belichick told Norwig to "get away from my [expletive] player" according to several sources. A surprised Norwig left and later could be seen talking and laughing about the incident with several Steelers doctors on the sideline.

Romano said he often has gone onto the field when a player looks seriously hurt. He said he got there after Belichick spoke with Norwig and did not hear the conversation.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05271/578904.stm

The president of the pro football athletic trainers society expressed surprise yesterday that any NFL coach would rudely chase off a trainer offering aid to a seriously injured player on a football field.

"It's a common courtesy for the home team," said Steve Antonopulous, the trainer for the Denver Broncos who heads the NFL group.

Steelers trainer John Norwig came onto the field to offer his help Sunday when Patriots tackle Matt Light was seriously injured in the second quarter at Heinz Field. New England coach Bill Belichick went up to Norwig and rudely told him to leave, using a profanity.

tony hipchest
02-05-2007, 12:57 AM
Found links to the P-G stories about Belichick's rudeness. I got the quote slightly wrong. He said "Get away from my f*cking player".

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05269/577963.stm (second item)

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05270/578384.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05271/578904.stmin the name of sportsmanship and winning another ring, belichick would rather his player die on the field, than to give up the competitive advantage of other teams knowing what would be on the injury report the following week.

thats why he is a great coach. :rolleyes:

augustashark
02-05-2007, 12:58 AM
The part of the trainer stroy that gets left out is that Norwig had the goods on Chick about his mistress and his midnight runs to the blue oyster! Chick could not let Norwig give any info to Light and ruin all is fun in the "hay"!