PDA

View Full Version : Coach Tomlin and Ben Have Dinner

alittlejazzbird
02-02-2007, 08:31 PM
From yesterday's Post Gazette ("Super Bowl Notebook"):

Big Ben adopts low profile

Ben Roethlisberger won't appear at the Super Bowl for the first time since he joined the Steelers in 2004 and became their starting quarterback.

After that season, he won the NFL rookie of the year award in the days leading up to the Super Bowl in Jacksonville, and he also made an appearance for Campbell's Chunky Soups.

A year ago, he played in the game. But Roethlisberger has other things on his mind these days.

Monday, he had dinner with new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin in Pittsburgh, and Roethlisberger has no big commercial television ads or other endorsements scheduled anytime soon.

"He's laying low and focusing internally," said Ryan Tollner, his agent.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07032/758554-66.stm

I'm very glad to hear that Ben is laying low for awhile. To say the least, I think he needs it. However, I wonder why no one has followed up with either Ben or Coach Tomlin to ask about their dinner/first meeting? Oh, to have been a fly on the wall!

tony hipchest
02-02-2007, 08:49 PM
good move on bens part. im sure he wouldve been the toast of the town in miami and parties such as the Maxim sb party and shaquille oneals (im sure ben didnt need an invite to either) and im thinking he couldve got several "sympathy lays" going to either.

hopefully this is a sign of priorities and the maturing the steelers will need to win sb's going into the future.

you got work to do ben, sb's or the hall of fame wont just be handed over on a platter handed over

Black@Gold Forever32
02-02-2007, 09:28 PM
If Ben leads the Steelers to two more Super Bowl wins they he go party hard and nail all the hotties he wants.lol I just want 2 more Super Bowl wins. Hey Super Bowl XL left me a greedy bitch. I want more.lol

Blitzburgh
02-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Not a real big story here .... This is just business.

stillers4me
02-02-2007, 11:52 PM
Maybe he's pissed because they didn't ask him to toss the coin......:sofunny:

Florida_Steelers_Fan
02-03-2007, 12:00 AM
and afterward he and tomlin went for a ride on ben's motorcycle... :))

Steelers
02-03-2007, 12:08 AM
If I was Tomlin, I'd have every meal of every day with Ben to make sure the kid doesn't choke on a chicken bone or something. After last offseason, you can't be too careful.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Good,this is showing that Ben is maturing as a person and a professional athlete.

He'll be well-conditioned,focused,and in sync with his teammates for this season.

Time to start getting rings for the second hand.

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!

paw-n-maul-u
02-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Not a real big story here .... This is just business.

no doubt. however, it is extremelllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy important that Tomlin and B-roth form a good relationship. I was especially pleased to hear ben is taking it easy this offseason. I really do believe that with a nice long offseason, time to heal, and having all this coach buisness taken care of, that we will come back an extremely focused and hungry team in 07'

Preacher
02-03-2007, 02:22 AM
All I gotta say is...

This sure is sounding like good news!

HometownGal
02-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Good to hear that Ben and Coach Tomlin are both making the effort to develop a relationship early on. :thumbsup:

I'm also glad to hear that Ben is going to lay low and work on regaining his focus during the off-season. He went through quite a lot last season and needs this time to get his mojo back without distraction.

I hope he drove his SUV to meet Tomlin for dinner. :wink02:

augustashark
02-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Good move on Coach's part!

Always meet with the guy that will make or break you. Ben will more then likely be here 10 years from now, coach tomlin I'm not so sure of.

polamalufan43
02-03-2007, 01:37 PM
I have to agree. Ben needs to have a good rapport with his Coach. They need to get along and understand each other, as do all the other players. It's nice to here that he's focused on his career, or at least it looks like it.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

alittlejazzbird
02-03-2007, 07:23 PM
You know, one of the (many) things that impressed me early on with Coach Tomlin was what he had to say about his first conversation with Ben (from January 24th Post-Gazette):

"Tomlin has not met Roethlisberger, but he talked with him by phone the other day.

'I told him, the big thing, in order for us to be uniquely successful, we have to have unique relationships,' Tomlin said. 'That's not something that's going to happen today or tomorrow. We cannot rush that process. We have to move forward. Along the way, understand we're going to get to know each other. If we let our veneer down and be unselfish, it can be special. That was my message to him.'"

If Ben is receptive to that approach, and I have every reason to think he will be until or unless I hear otherwise, then I see their futures together as extremely promising. All indications are that relationships and communication are two of Tomlin's greatest strengths. In any business, it's no secret that when the boss is a great communicator, highly ethical and of strong character, and is put in charge of guiding and molding employees who are highly talented, motivated, and receptive to that boss, the result is almost always great success.

I know there are people on this board who will disagree, and I respect your right to your opinion, but from where I sit, the future looks pretty bright for our Steelers!

Preacher
02-03-2007, 07:39 PM
You know, one of the (many) things that impressed me early on with Coach Tomlin was what he had to say about his first conversation with Ben (from January 24th Post-Gazette):

"Tomlin has not met Roethlisberger, but he talked with him by phone the other day.

'I told him, the big thing, in order for us to be uniquely successful, we have to have unique relationships,' Tomlin said. 'That's not something that's going to happen today or tomorrow. We cannot rush that process. We have to move forward. Along the way, understand we're going to get to know each other. If we let our veneer down and be unselfish, it can be special. That was my message to him.'"

If Ben is receptive to that approach, and I have every reason to think he will be until or unless I hear otherwise, then I see their futures together as extremely promising. All indications are that relationships and communication are two of Tomlin's greatest strengths. In any business, it's no secret that when the boss is a great communicator, highly ethical and of strong character, and is put in charge of guiding and molding employees who are highly talented, motivated, and receptive to that boss, the result is almost always great success.

I know there are people on this board who will disagree, and I respect your right to your opinion, but from where I sit, the future looks pretty bright for our Steelers!

Yep. I would have to agree!

TackleMeBen
02-03-2007, 10:03 PM
Maybe Coach Tomlin had dinner with Ben to ask for the keys to anything he owns that doesnt have four wheels ..

Preacher
02-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Maybe Coach Tomlin had dinner with Ben to ask for the keys to anything he owns that doesnt have four wheels ..

Yeah, wouldn't that be nice.

steelerbackr4life
02-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Good thing is we havent see any pics on you tube of the 2 of them getting their drink on.

NV STEELERS 723
02-04-2007, 01:30 AM

You need to post more....good opinion..

DJfan
02-04-2007, 08:35 AM
What do you bet Ben included the "Let's not play to not lose" speach he gave Cowher last off-season. It looked like that really bugged him. I hope they unleash Ben, and teach him at the same time.

BTW, some of you were just plain wrong about our future. It looks INSANELY bright!!

Here comes number 7!!!

msafford
02-04-2007, 09:21 AM
What do you bet Ben included the "Let's not play to not lose" speach he gave Cowher last off-season. It looked like that really bugged him. I hope they unleash Ben, and teach him at the same time.

BTW, some of you were just plain wrong about our future. It looks INSANELY bright!!

Here comes number 7!!!

I know I've posted about this before, but heck why not post again! :) I am so glad we have big Ben, even after 3 years. Is he ****y? probably..I've got some coaching friends in the NW Ohio area who've met big Ben who are Clowns fans who don't have too many nice things to say. Does he have any reason to be? You bet your sweet butt he does. I went to BGSU and watched him tear apart the Falcons in the MAC Championship game to the tune of 440 passing yards. I cursed the TV, but then said a little prayer that the Steelers draft him. I know...it's only BGSU, but darnit they were ranked at the time! :smile: Why can't the season come sooner? :)

stillers4me
02-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I think we are going to see an all new Big Awesome Ben this year. I think the failures of last season are going to eat away at him and Tomlin's new ideas and philosophies are going to be just what the doctors ordered for our young quarterback. I don't think Tomlin is going to treat him like a star quarterback.......I think he's going to start from the ground up with Ben and tap into his natural talent and develop Ben into one of the leagues super qb's. As a matter of fact, the whole team needs to do this......they know they have the talent. The proof in on their fingers. Focus and fundamentals need to be the priority. (I almost feel sorry for these guys once training camp starts!!)
I hated seeing Cowher leave, but the Tomlin hire has me very excited and I think the players are going to love and respect him for new and different reasons than the did for their coach. Cowher was a legend, they'll want to make Tomlin one, too.

This is going to be a great year..........and a great new era for Steeler football!!

slashsteel
02-04-2007, 11:06 AM
I agree on a great year outlook coming up. One poster commented on letting Ben loose. I don't think anyone or anything held him back. Except the accident of course. With a offseason to focus without any incidents I think Ben will rebound. He needs to watch tons of game film and get those INT's down.

But I see great things on the horizon. Tweak our roster with a few draft picks and maybe a free agent middle tier player one or two. And we can start out strong and hopefully finish even stronger !

Preacher
02-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Honestly...

Here are the issues.

1. Ben and his recievers get on the same page... which they were starting to do.

2. His O line get better. After last year, I have no doubt they will

3. Lots of rest.

4. Finally, in teh fourth year, a real comfortability with the offense. Yeah, the schemes will change with the changing of the offense. But isn't it our RECEIEVERS COACH that has the head coach job? He knows Ben from a different angle. it will be great to see.

Mosca
02-04-2007, 12:58 PM
I think Tomlin is going to do what his players let him do. In other words, if Ben is able to wing the ball all over the field accurately, then that's what Coach Tomlin's attack will look like. If Ben is streaky and so-so on the downfield stuff, we'll see a lot of running mixed with medium and play action passes.

I look for an attack that will be balanced.

There are some words that I haven't heard used to describe Tomlin: Innovative. Original. Unpredictable. I WOULD like to see is some unpredictability in our offense (combined with execution, obviously). We'll just have to trust Coach Tomlin to understand that predictability doesn't work, I suppose.

Tom

tony hipchest
02-04-2007, 01:56 PM
after the dinner ben took tomlin to a pre screening of the new nicholas cage film "Ghostrider".

dont get no ideas, ben.

:sofunny:

really, not only should ben be banned from motorcycles, he should be banned from watching movies about motorcycles (especially ones that are possesed)

TackleMeBen
02-05-2007, 09:28 AM
after the dinner ben took tomlin to a pre screening of the new nicholas cage film "Ghostrider".

dont get no ideas, ben.

:sofunny:

really, not only should ben be banned from motorcycles, he should be banned from watching movies about motorcycles (especially ones that are possesed)

Maybe we should let him watch movies about being possesed.. that way he can be possesed on the football field this coming season and kick some major butt!!

memphissteelergirl
02-05-2007, 09:58 AM
I think we are going to see an all new Big Awesome Ben this year. I think the failures of last season are going to eat away at him and Tomlin's new ideas and philosophies are going to be just what the doctors ordered for our young quarterback. I don't think Tomlin is going to treat him like a star quarterback.......I think he's going to start from the ground up with Ben and tap into his natural talent and develop Ben into one of the leagues super qb's. As a matter of fact, the whole team needs to do this......they know they have the talent. The proof in on their fingers. Focus and fundamentals need to be the priority. (I almost feel sorry for these guys once training camp starts!!)
I hated seeing Cowher leave, but the Tomlin hire has me very excited and I think the players are going to love and respect him for new and different reasons than the did for their coach. Cowher was a legend, they'll want to make Tomlin one, too.

This is going to be a great year..........and a great new era for Steeler football!!

:iagree: Great post!

Big D
02-05-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm glad that ben and tomlin are already getting to know each other. And it's good to see ben wont be getting wasted on south beach.

stlrtruck
02-05-2007, 10:23 AM
You know I like two things:

1 - Ben and Mike sat down to dinner
2 - That's all the media knows about it

I don't think either of them should talk to the media about their dinner. Let it be between those two men and be done with it!

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Love to hear that Tomlin and ben are talking....Now I want to hear a story about how Holmes and Ben are practicing every day together!!!!
But it means so much to hear that tomlin is making such an effort. To go out of his way to talk to his starting QB says so much about what we are going to see from our new coach. He could have easily came in here and said.... "I'm the coach...here are the plays...my way or the highway....I dont need to know you, I just need for you to DO WHAT I SAY!"
But Tomlin is obviously looking to form a relationship... which bodes well. he seems like a disciplinarian who is a players coach.

alittlejazzbird
02-05-2007, 11:30 AM
You know I like two things:

1 - Ben and Mike sat down to dinner
2 - That's all the media knows about it

I don't think either of them should talk to the media about their dinner. Let it be between those two men and be done with it!

stlrtruck, I completely agree with you - it should be between the two of them. But I questioned why no one had followed up on it (specifically I was thinking Ed Bouchette of the P-G, who reported it) because we all know the media's relentless obsession with "all things Ben" in Pittsburgh.

Sure, I'd like to know what their initial impressions are of each other and if they had a good time together, but really it's none of our beeswax. I'm just (somewhat pleasantly) surprised that the Pittsburgh media didn't pounce on the story and camp outside Ben's house and wherever Coach is currently staying until one of them gave up a quote.

stlrtruck
02-05-2007, 11:35 AM
stlrtruck, I completely agree with you - it should be between the two of them. But I questioned why no one had followed up on it (specifically I was thinking Ed Bouchette of the P-G, who reported it) because we all know the media's relentless obsession with "all things Ben" in Pittsburgh.

Sure, I'd like to know what their initial impressions are of each other and if they had a good time together, but really it's none of our beeswax. I'm just (somewhat pleasantly) surprised that the Pittsburgh media didn't pounce on the story and camp outside Ben's house and wherever Coach is currently staying until one of them gave up a quote.

Do you think maybe the Steelers FO had something to do with this? Or maybe, just maybe, the media have figured out they are a bunch of idiots when reporting such things and decided to make nothing out ofit?

alittlejazzbird
02-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Do you think maybe the Steelers FO had something to do with this? Or maybe, just maybe, the media have figured out they are a bunch of idiots when reporting such things and decided to make nothing out ofit?

Front office? Nah, I don't think they would waste their time with something like that. I can't help but wonder, though, if the recent Grimm debacle promulgated by the Trib has left all the media folks smarting a bit, and not so quick to jump...so your "bunch of idiots" theory sounds more like it....:wink02:

TackleMeBen
02-05-2007, 01:05 PM
I doubt the media will ever figure out they are a bunch of idiots. It is nice though that they arent looking for more to the story.

OneForTheToe
02-05-2007, 02:57 PM
I can't believe no one brought up the most important aspect of this meeting:

Who paid? :cheers:

polamalufan43
02-05-2007, 03:01 PM

LOL....

That We May Never Know....
"Here's the deal, I'll only pay if you keep the interceptions to six. Deal?":cheers:
(just kidding)

Elvis
02-05-2007, 04:06 PM
:tt02: Maybe he is doing like alot of people here need to do and growing up and deciding to change his life for the better. Life isnt just a party people... he is a professional and he gets paid the BIG $$$$ to do his job. And partying and being seen and noticed is not what his/our job should be. I hope that Tomlin told him Not to be satisfied with what he did his first 2 years in the league... We are here to win championships and that is his job to be ready and prepared every day to do his job..:helmet:

polamalufan43
02-05-2007, 04:18 PM
:tt02: Maybe he is doing like alot of people here need to do and growing up and deciding to change his life for the better. Life isnt just a party people... he is a professional and he gets paid the BIG $$$$ to do his job. And partying and being seen and noticed is not what his/our job should be. I hope that Tomlin told him Not to be satisfied with what he did his first 2 years in the league... We are here to win championships and that is his job to be ready and prepared every day to do his job..:helmet:

Well, from what I here, Ben is doing just that. Although that will be determined during the season. I'm sure Tomlintalked to him about that, how he wants to coach this team, and what he thinks Ben would like to do with the team among other subjects.

FastWillieParker39
02-05-2007, 06:27 PM
this is VERY GOOD news to hear........looks like there working to get back on track! Tomlin seems like that type of guy where you can trust anything with him

TackleMeBen
02-05-2007, 07:16 PM

maybe they went dutch :wink02: