PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Rooney praised for 'rule'

83-Steelers-43
02-03-2007, 06:48 AM
Steelers' Rooney praised for 'rule'

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 3, 2007

MIAMI -- A day after the NFL players union's top-ranking official credited Dan Rooney for "not only talking the talk but walking the walk," commissioner Roger Goodell also hailed what the Steelers' chairman has done to provide more opportunities for minorities in the NFL.

But, Goodell added during a question-and-answer session Friday, "I hope some day (the Rooney Rule) is not going to be necessary."

The subject of race and by extension the Rooney Rule, a requirement that teams interview at least one minority candidate when they have a head coaching vacancy, has generated its share of discussion leading up to Super Bowl XLI.

The two Super Bowl teams are led by African-American coaches, Indianapolis' Tony Dungy and Chicago's Lovie Smith, and before this year there had never been an African-American head coach in the Super Bowl.

A day after Dungy's and Smith's teams won their respective conference championship games to advance to the Super Bowl, the Steelers hired an African-American to succeed Bill Cowher as head coach.

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the National Football League Players Association, praised the Steelers' hiring of Mike Tomlin on Thursday as well as Rooney during his opening remarks at a NFLPA news conference.

Said Goodell, "the Rooney Rule worked very well for Dan Rooney and the Steelers because they went out and (identified) a very wide group of coaches and they found one that they might not have been looking at."

Rooney, who heads the NFL's diversity committee, said the day Tomlin officially became the Steelers' head coach -- he got the job over former Steelers assistant head coach Russ Grimm -- that the team had not gotten any pressure from the league to hire a minority.

That the Rooney Rule still generates so much attention, Rooney said, is a sign that there is progress to be made in the area of minorities and head coaching opportunities.

"The one thing that Roger said that was very true: Let's hope that soon we don't have to be talking about the Rooney Rule or any other rule," Rooney said.

Dungy agreed.

"We hope there's a time when the Rooney Rule does become obsolete," Dungy said earlier this week. "The thing it has done is it's really slowed the hiring process down and made people investigate a lot of different candidates, and I think that's key."

Just as in coaching, Rooney said, the league is also working toward creating more opportunities for minorities in front-office positions.

He does not foresee nor advocate the Rooney Rule also being applied to teams' searches for positions in management.

"The front office and coaches are different," Rooney said.

The biggest difference may be that NFL teams are more likely to go outside of the organization when they hire a head coach than when they hire someone for a front-office position.

"We think that there are people that have been with you for a long time. They should move up," Rooney said. "It's not the same as (with coaches)."

Goodell said the spirit of the Rooney Rule has helped create more opportunities for minorities in front offices.

"The whole basis of the Rooney Rule was to make sure we have the best possible people in those positions - whether it's coaching or front office or anything associated with the NFL," Goodell said. "We want to have a sophisticated process - open, diverse so we can find the best possible candidates to fill those positions."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_491602.html

stillers4me
02-03-2007, 06:51 AM
:blah: :blah: :blah:

Did you know that both coaches in the SuperBowl are black for the very first time ever???????????? Thought I would mention it in case you haven't heard............................................. ....................

Steeldude
02-03-2007, 06:59 AM
dumbest rule ever created.

SteelersTilIDie
02-03-2007, 12:40 PM
I think it is a good rule. SOme great coaches would not be in the nfl if it werent for this rule. It is ridiculous that minority coaches arent rated as highly as white ones, but it gives opportunities to minority coaches that they normally wouldnt get

polamalufan43
02-03-2007, 12:55 PM
I also think it is a good rule. Mike Tomlin wouldn't be here if that rule wasn't created, I believe he would be considered that minority party. It shows that the NFL has some fairness in the way it operates and I give the Rooney's credit and respect for making such a rule.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

stillers4me
02-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Isn't there already a law that states an emplyoyer can't discriminate against race, color, sex, or whatever? Why did the NFL need a special rule??

NV STEELERS 723
02-03-2007, 02:41 PM
It bothers me that they make a big deal about it.....hire the best guy...whether he's white,black,yellow or red....

-just hire the best guy..... and I think thats what the STEELERS did!

polamalufan43
02-03-2007, 03:16 PM
It bothers me that they make a big deal about it.....hire the best guy...whether he's white,black,yellow or red....

-just hire the best guy..... and I think thats what the STEELERS did!

:iagree:

But, you never know. There could be some organizations that do descriminate, although I'm not really sure who, so I guess it was made so in case it's obvious someone does, they get punishment for it. Either way, I think we needed this rule.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

rhino
02-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Steelers' Rooney praised for 'rule'

By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, February 3, 2007

MIAMI -- A day after the NFL players union's top-ranking official credited Dan Rooney for "not only talking the talk but walking the walk," commissioner Roger Goodell also hailed what the Steelers' chairman has done to provide more opportunities for minorities in the NFL.

This concerns me and makes me feel like the Rooney's might have been hoping for this sort of response for "walking the walk" when it came to their own rule.

Did they pass up Wiz because they wanted this "Rooney Rule" praise? Did they really want Grimm but pass him up for the same reason?

We'll never know now but the more of this kind of thing I hear, the more it makes me wonder and I don't like second guessing my favorite team - but now I'm going to until I see what Tomlin brings to the field.

fansince'76
02-03-2007, 04:15 PM
This concerns me and makes me feel like the Rooney's might have been hoping for this sort of response for "walking the walk" when it came to their own rule.

Did they pass up Wiz because they wanted this "Rooney Rule" praise? Did they really want Grimm but pass him up for the same reason?

We'll never know now but the more of this kind of thing I hear, the more it makes me wonder and I don't like second guessing my favorite team - but now I'm going to until I see what Tomlin brings to the field.

I can understand this point, but I think there are too many parallels between Tomlin and our last 2 HC hires to feel that his hiring was just a matter of the Rooneys "walking the walk." Tomlin is coming in as a very young, relatively unknown DC - Cowher and Noll both fit that description when they started as well.

rhino
02-03-2007, 04:23 PM
I can understand this point, but I think there are too many parallels between Tomlin and our last 2 HC hires to feel that his hiring was just a matter of the Rooneys "walking the walk." Tomlin is coming in as a very young, relatively unknown DC - Cowher and Noll both fit that description when they started as well.

Well, one thing that makes me feel better about the whole thing is that I personally don't think any of the other candidates were any "better" for the job than Tomlin. If this were a case where someone was obviously passed over that was a much better candidate then I'd be pretty upset but in this case it really seems like there was not anyone "better" for the job.

In any case, I wish Coach Tomlin the best and hope he will be coach of the year in 2007 while leading us to the Super Bowl! :tt02:

Preacher
02-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Something about this whole thing just rubs me the wrong way.

I don't want a black person hired out of the Rooney rule, I want a black person hired because he was the best coach. Period. I just wonder how Tomlin feels... with people now questioning if the reason he was hired... was because he is black. that is the problem with any type of affirmative action program... It casts shadows and doubt on all who are hired out of the race/ethnic/religious group that is the subject of the affirmative actions. To me, that is soft racism.

I would prefer to say... Hire whomever... Period.

What happens if you have a person that you want to hire, but is white. You already have your mind made up about him. For instance...

Let's say in two years, Tomlin leaves, and Cowher comes back to Pittsburgh to be interviewed. EVERYONE sings his praises.. he is a man renewed.. hungry again... etc.etc. Who in thier RIGHT MIND would want to go sit in an interview and waste 4 hours with the Steelers knowing that Cowher was coming back? Yet, according to the rooney rule, the Steelers would HAVE TO go find a black/spanish/etc. person to interview... Just because. How insulting is that to the person sitting accross the table?

Am I proud to have a black man has head coach? NO... I am proud of having a head coach that seemingly will do a great job at Pittsburgh... and happens to be black? ABSOLUTEY.

For those who understand the difference of the last paragraph, good for you. For those of you who think I am racist for that paragraph... let me refer you to another thread...
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=12582&page=4

kysteelerman
02-03-2007, 07:07 PM
ya, i think it is the other way around .. i think that we are the minority. let take all the coachs and players, anybody that is has anything to do with pro football and see who is really the minority. i not prejudice but, it seems that they yell that to much to get jobs , i would like to find who is the minority. i got a lot of friends that are black. but , sometime that is the way i feel. when i hear that stuff (blacks are minority)

Steeldude
02-03-2007, 07:44 PM
I think it is a good rule. SOme great coaches would not be in the nfl if it werent for this rule. It is ridiculous that minority coaches arent rated as highly as white ones, but it gives opportunities to minority coaches that they normally wouldnt get

one could also say it's ridiculous that white HBs aren't rated as high as black HBs.

the minority rule is an insult. a minority will never know if he received the interview based on his ability.

rhino
02-03-2007, 08:19 PM
There has been a lot of this talk going around all over the place. Honestly, I think most of it has to do with off-season boredom. I think once we get toward the draft and eventually training camp nobody will care anymore. All Steelers care about is whether Coach Tomlin produces wins or not. If he does, he'll be loved and he'll be a hero. If not, we'll run him out of town just like we did to Kordell when he started ruining things.

Edman
02-03-2007, 08:34 PM
I hope Tomlin wins with the Steelers and puts all this "hired 'cause he's black" crap to rest. Tomlin's a football coach just like the others.

You gotta love the offseason.

Stlrs4Life
02-03-2007, 08:38 PM
I believe it is a decent rule.

steelerbackr4life
02-03-2007, 09:15 PM
I think that the day this isnt a good rule will be the day when its validity doesnt come into question. Unfortunately we live in a society where too many are prejudged because of race and or gender. The rule doesnt say you have to hire a minority only interview one. If nothing else atleast it will help someone see an individual for their merits and as a person and not a stereotype. Which I have to believe is exactly what the Chief would have wanted.

Preacher
02-03-2007, 09:18 PM
I think that the day this isnt a good rule will be the day when its validity doesnt come into question. Unfortunately we live in a society where too many are prejudged because of race and or gender. The rule doesnt say you have to hire a minority only interview one. If nothing else atleast it will help someone see an individual for their merits and as a person and not a stereotype. Which I have to believe is exactly what the Chief would have wanted.

Come on now. You know that isn't true. Here is what the Chief would have wanted.

1. Can he go to the horsetrack with me!
2. Will he enjoy a good cigar with me!
3. Can he go to the horsetrack with me!
4. Does he know football?
5. Will he go to the horsetrack with me!

Now. You ALL KNOW that is true!! :sofunny:

steelerbackr4life
02-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Come on now. You know that isn't true. Here is what the Chief would have wanted.

1. Can he go to the horsetrack with me!
2. Will he enjoy a good cigar with me!
3. Can he go to the horsetrack with me!
4. Does he know football?
5. Will he go to the horsetrack with me!

Now. You ALL KNOW that is true!! :sofunny:
:toofunny:

Absolutely it wouldnt have mattered if you were a Martian if that criteria was met youd be in by more than a few lengths!