PDA

View Full Version : How Important Is Verron Haynes Coming Back?

Elvis
02-04-2007, 07:24 AM
I for one may have took for granted what this young man in Verron Haynes means to our team. As I am sittin' here watching and recording last years AFC Tittle Game on to DVD, he was really a big factor in our passing game and on 3rd downs you didnt really have to worry about him picking up the on coming blitzes that the Broncos were sending at us when he was in there. What do ya'll think about this subject?:helmet:

Stlrs4Life
02-04-2007, 08:13 AM
I agree he was good in 2005, but last season, he didn't have it.

Black&GoldinJersey
02-04-2007, 08:44 AM
I think Verron is important for those third downs as long as we keep him as a third down back. Last year we were trying to find the Bus replacement with Willie, Duce, and Verron as well as just a RB to give Willie a break. It seemed as if he never felt comfortable in the various roles that Steelers kept trying him at. If we just keep Verron as that third down back, he will be fine (provided he stays healthy).

HometownGal
02-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I'm OK with Verron, but I prefer using Davenport as a third downer and when Willie needs a breather.

slashsteel
02-04-2007, 09:57 AM
Verron is the best blocking back we have IMO. On a down that Ben was mauled by the rats over and over again in the 2 games played. I would say his return is indeed significant.

SteelCityMan786
02-04-2007, 10:35 AM
I say BRING BACK VERRON!

Preacher
02-04-2007, 10:45 AM
I have never really been impressed with him.

Infamix
02-04-2007, 11:37 AM
He's very underrated. He played a key role in 3rd down blocking and pass recieving.

SteelShooter
02-04-2007, 11:50 AM
I think Verron is important for those third downs as long as we keep him as a third down back. Last year we were trying to find the Bus replacement with Willie, Duce, and Verron as well as just a RB to give Willie a break. It seemed as if he never felt comfortable in the various roles that Steelers kept trying him at. If we just keep Verron as that third down back, he will be fine (provided he stays healthy).

I completely agree agree B&G! Verron has good hands for those short dump passes on 3rd downs. I'm not completely keen on him as a power back, but then, Najeh hasn't really impressed me either as a slam-em-in-the-mouth-cram-it-down-their-throat rusher either. But, admittedly, Najeh has REALLY impressed me with his kick returns.

I say we keep him and limit his play to the pass block and 3rd down converter role that he has excelled so easily in. I truly like the guy. DO NOT do as we did with Kordell in trying to play him where he just isn't a perfect fit. Kordell did great as the short yardage guy......we forced him into the open field QB and, well................see where that got us, and him.

touchdownward
02-04-2007, 01:08 PM
I say definitely bring him back, but being a UGA fan, I'm a little biased.
As mentioned, one of his best features is being a short yardage receiver out of the backfield, Ben missed that this year.

polamalufan43
02-04-2007, 05:28 PM
I think they should bring him back. But I do think like everyone he has to prove himself again. Half for the performance last and half because of new coaching staff.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

dunkuntou
02-04-2007, 07:45 PM
He is a decent third down back...but you can't afford to keep both Davenport and Haynes. This draft has a nice RB class that has a few potential good third down backs and other short yardage backs

Elvis
02-04-2007, 08:51 PM
:coffee: *I just honestly Dont see what everyone see's in Davenport. No way he made as much a difference to our team than Verron does, just check the stats:tt02:

Preacher
02-04-2007, 08:56 PM
Verron Haynes is not necessary... he means more as a FA pickup by another team then he does for us... We need the space and the money for other players. We don't

nicesteel4life
02-04-2007, 09:38 PM
I agree with many, verron is a great blocking back on 3rd downs, Let davenport go first...He did nothing that impressed me.

Stillers43
02-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Davenport is better than Haynes except blocking!

Elvis
02-05-2007, 06:25 AM
:tt02: I 'm sorry guys but I just dont agree. Verron Haynes should be on this team and Davenport should be let go. I think if the Steelers draft a back in the upcoming draft then one of these 2 are gone anyway.:coffee:

vasteeler
02-05-2007, 12:46 PM
never liked him, imo he has never done anything for us, let him go

SteelerFanInCA
02-05-2007, 01:34 PM
I'm not a big fan of Verron.

I think we can get by with Davenport on this one. I'd like to see Davenport go through a whole camp with the Steelers then see what he can bring to the table.

sheba
02-05-2007, 05:20 PM
he is good but i think we can do with out him

slashsteel
02-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Never underestimate the importance of a top blocking back.