PDA

View Full Version : Official Steelers vs Eagles Game talk thread

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2005, 12:07 AM
So here it is, the first official Game Day thread of the 2005 season. Use this to talk about the game, plays, and if you'll be online during the game, post up in here and talk about it while it happens.

Justin Otstott
08-14-2005, 12:31 AM
well I was wondering (and being honest) who do yall think will win this game? Im saying us! Feel the D!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-14-2005, 12:34 AM
All I want is for us to come out of this game healthy! Let the starters get a few series in, maybe the first quarter depending on how it the game goes, and get em outta there. We have enuff injuies as it is already.

But I can definately see us winning!

redst3
08-14-2005, 04:19 AM
Steelers 17, Eagles 14

Justin Otstott
08-14-2005, 09:08 AM
^ looks right and yea I agree that the starters should'nt stay in long, I want to see how our back-ups play.

ironcitychef
08-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Final score, Steelers 20 Eagles 17 With us scoring on both offense and defense.

Never be afraid to make a bold prediction.:cool:

C5-R1
08-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Steelers 17 Eagles 10
I don't expect to see the offensive starters playing more than a couple of series.
Defensive starters probally play the whole first quater.

stand undefeated
08-14-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm sure the D will be fine, I wanna see Colclough and Taylor perform.

I'm also looking forward to see how big ben hooks up with randle el and wilson the first series or two. An opening drive TD would be sweet!

Miller catching a ball or two would be a treat as well.

Pittsburgh 20 Philadelphia 16

SteelR1
08-14-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm sure the D will be fine, I wanna see Colclough and Taylor perform.

I'm also looking forward to see how big ben hooks up with randle el and wilson the first series or two. An opening drive TD would be sweet!

Miller catching a ball or two would be a treat as well.

Pittsburgh 20 Philadelphia 16

Took the words right off of my keyboard,,,,,

SteelProven
08-14-2005, 03:50 PM
With the Eagles being depleted at the WR position I really don't see the eagles putting up much of a fight in the 1st Quarter. But I do expect there defense do hold up pretty well get a much depleted and unproven set of Steeler WR's. I can't really see the Steelers losing this game. There back-up QB's are good enough to start for a number of teams so I expect them to really make this game a blow out. 24-10 Steelers take it pretty easy.

LambertIsGod58
08-14-2005, 05:12 PM
If they are without T.O. there's no question. If he can get his head out of his ass, they have a shot.

shevdog
08-14-2005, 07:47 PM
I know this is just a pre-season game... So it was a year ago in pre-season...

Being a Western PA native now living in the Philly burbs, I want to hear these pathic Philly fan whine a bit over losing to the Steeler yet again.

As the Steelers work hard to the post-season and to their 6th Super Bowl appearance, I predict the press turning against the Steelers yet another time. I am not as sure about the Eagle's chance this year, as apposed to the past 4 seasons. Still if that Steelers vs. Eagles matchup happens in Detriot, I'd love to say "the Eagles haven't beaten the Steelers in the past 2 year, all 3 appearances".

BTW, T.O. take your whinning out of this great state. I'm sick of seeing you whine on TV. Even the Eagles fans agree with me on this. Ward, stop your fussing too. No room for that in the Burgh!

Let's get this pre-season over, the season started, and the traash talk flying!

Let's paint Detriot in "Black in Gold"!!!

JerseySTEEL
08-14-2005, 10:47 PM
Willie parker rushes for 100 yards and TD. hehe

figg
08-14-2005, 11:01 PM
I bet the first time a pass play is called with Ben and Miller on the field together he throws it to him.

Kyle82
08-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Eagles Suck!!
Steelers 21 Eagles 6

Farrior4MVP
08-15-2005, 12:03 AM
10-0 Steelers in the First Quarter. Thats all that matters to me. However I'll enjoy watching some of the younguns try to make the team. Looking forward to seeing Miller, Parker, Harrison, and McFadden most of all.

TasmanianTroy271
08-15-2005, 01:16 AM
What I'm looking forward to seeing:

A.) Seeing how fast, and who, Old Man Willie is replaced with. On another note, I'd love to see Willie beat all these young guys and start all season and suprise everyone. Remember everyone saying The Bus was out of fuel? now people aren't saying if Willie'll get replaced, but WHEN. Deja Vu...
B.) Seeing how Ben does, and if any of our young WRs stick out (rooting for Cobb)
C.) Polamalu knock some Eagles around
D.) Undrafted rookie John Kuhn's playing time. I read somewhere that Cowher told him he'd have some. I'd love to see him suprise us and do twice as good as Willie Parker did last season.
E.) Bettis doing what he does best
F.) How the OL does overall.

woo, i'd love to see a local guy like Kuhn end up as our starter... oh well, i can dream...

SteelZeal
08-15-2005, 02:07 AM
The five guys I'll be paying the most attention to:

1. Big Ben - Pretty obvious. It all starts with him.

2. Max Starks - He's the biggest question mark in my mind going into this season. Kendall Simmons' health is a question mark, but I never questioned his play. Kendall is a beast when healthy. Max...we'll see. Everyone knows he has the size. He was knocked for his technique and tenacity coming out of Florida. But I have faith in Russ Grimm.

3. James Harrison - Everyone is falling in love with James Harrison. He's nasty, etc. I thought he was very good in limited duty last year, and it'll be nice to see him with the first team D.

4. Cedrick Wilson - Let's see that speed, let's see that route running.

5. Heath Miller - Of course he'll get a token pass thrown his way, but I hope he gets a little more than that. I'll be watching his blocking closely as well.

I could have went on and on, especially with the young CBs, but I'm limiting this list to five.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2005, 02:08 AM
I bet the first time a pass play is called with Ben and Miller on the field together he throws it to him.

Cowher and the other coaches are really anxious to see Heath in action after an apparently really good camp so far!

I doubt we'll get much of a feel of the starters. Cowher usually only plays them a few series in the first game..but I heard that they may play as much as the whole first quarter, so we'll see.

Prosdo
08-15-2005, 03:34 AM
I will have my eye on a lot of the guys. Ben of course in the first quarter is a big one. Mostly it is the young guys I want to see, Heath Miller, Bryant McFadden, and Fred Gibson. I am also interested in seeing Cedrick Wilson. That guy really impressed me while I was at camp. He had some nice catches. Willie Parker is another one I am interested in seeing.

figg
08-15-2005, 08:07 AM
The guy's im looking forward to watching are.

1.Ben 2.Miller 3.Ricardo 4.Parker 5.Nua (Someone I trust said he's been the best pass rushing DE thus far) 6.Herron 7.McFadden 8.Starks 9.Wilson 10.Kranchick

Throw in Kemoeatu and Simmons too :D

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2005, 08:11 PM
First Place From Scrimmage..... Willie Williams, Interception.. touchdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigBen2WardPITT
08-15-2005, 08:12 PM
ALL YEAR BABY. INT WILLIE WILLIAMS LETSSSSSSSS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

does anybody want to start a steelers chat room on aim or on the internet??

Rush58
08-15-2005, 08:12 PM
How many seconds was that? LOL

C5-R1
08-15-2005, 08:15 PM
They are VERY fired up for a preseason game!!!!!

BigBen2WardPITT
08-15-2005, 08:19 PM
SAAAAAWEET. OUR CB's ARE EXCELLENT, SUPRISINGLY.

figg
you cant make this up :busted:

Rush58
Hey, will Big Ben play tonight? lmao

C5-R1
TOUCHDOWN AGAIN!!!!!!!!! :celebrate :celebrate :celebrate

Rush58
08-15-2005, 08:20 PM
0-14, Steelers!

Rush58
08-15-2005, 08:22 PM
you cant make this up :busted:

unless you are on the cover of Madden! :D

BigBen2WardPITT
08-15-2005, 08:30 PM
HEY GUYS, alot of sports sites i go to or team fansites i go to have chat rooms for the games. its fun when ure sittin at the game, being able to talk to steeler fans that quick.

heres the link..

http://www.freewebs.com/chatsports/index.htm

figg
08-15-2005, 08:32 PM

man im good lol

wcpf78
08-15-2005, 08:36 PM
The game was a laugher in the first 3 minutes 14-0 without an offensive snap! :cool:

TasmanianTroy271
08-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Yea Old Man Willie. I hoped he still had something in him...

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Now, get the starters outta the game!!!!!!!!! :D

Rush58
08-15-2005, 08:43 PM
I want see some good throws by Ben.

C5-R1
08-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Now, get the starters outta the game!!!!!!!!! :D

:iagree:
I guessing one more series for the offensive starters. Maybe a couple of more series for the defensive starters.

Rush58
08-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Harrison playing great again.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2005, 08:49 PM
no doubt.. Harrison is a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im lovin this guy!

BigBen2WardPITT
08-15-2005, 08:50 PM
ugh again our corners cant cover very bad receivers, as usual. thats the only thing i am worried about year in, year out, just like i was worried with QBs during stewarts time. That is my only gripe with the team, is there REAL, KEY WEAKNESSES, they dont do much about, until maybe 4 years later. We should of brought in a CB this year. Willie and Deshea are both old. Mcfadden could end up being great, but other then that i have been unhappy with ike taylor and culcolough.

figg
08-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Most impressive on that return was Ricardo Colclough speed to catch up to Taylor.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Gotta love what HInes was saying about how he needed to talk to cowher man to man and how it went!! If that's all that was needed, they should have done this along time ago!!

Damn it was great to see that big ole Hines smile on the sidelines again!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2005, 09:06 PM
NO doubt, we got some hellish speed in the secondary!!!

figg
08-15-2005, 09:17 PM
That sucks. I wanted to see the 1st team offense 1 more time.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2005, 09:25 PM
damn gibson needs ALOT of work !!!

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Damn that block by Gibson was AWESOME......

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Touchdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PARKER !!!

SteelR1
08-15-2005, 09:51 PM
This game is awesome!!!!!!!! I was going crazy..... Man is Colcough FAST!!!!!!!!!

Lets see what the second half brings us.......

C5-R1
08-15-2005, 09:58 PM
I think were to the point now where we just need to get everyone out of here healty.

ironcitychef
08-15-2005, 10:28 PM
Very happy about the results so far...just some concerns about left over stuff from last year.

1) can we stop using motion before the snap to give Ben the reads? When the receiver doesn't double back(usually a run) it is also usually to that side? Just thought we would be a little better at this?

2) Hope and Troy? The scientist pointed out that while the make some big plays, they give up plays as well. Seems while we can put pressure on the offense, we leave ourselves open in the middle of the field giving up those 3rd and 12-17 plays It wouldn't bother me as much to give up 1sts on 3rd and 3 as much as torching them on 1st and 2nd, then playing soft on 3rd.

Am I just being too critical too early? Just thought this stuff was too replayish of last years postseason.

SteelR1
08-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Very happy with the results so far.... I do agree with you iron, I hate it when we give up the 3rd and long pass.....

C5-R1
08-15-2005, 11:05 PM
You can't ask for much more than this in the first preseason game.
Great performance!

SteelR1
08-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Sucks that Int wasn't clean... OH well,,,

BlitzburghRockCity
08-15-2005, 11:52 PM
last year we were one of the best teams on 3rd down defense.. I wouldnt sweat it too much yet. You know preseason, we don't show our whole package of offense or defense. Its all vanilla. No I dont like giving up those plays either, but for now, Im not gonna sweat it too much.

Justin Otstott
08-16-2005, 12:58 AM
I was thinking the same thing when the forth Q came, its like we gave up to many stupid plays in the end and I noticed we did that last year some! But your right Blitz its not the full package!

Prosdo
08-16-2005, 04:18 AM
I was wondering what everyone's top 5 impressive players were?

Top 5 Players That Impressed
1. James Harrison
2. Fred Gibson
3. Noah Herron
4. Nate Washington
5. Ricardo Colclough

My players who didn't impress were Alonzo Jackson and Charlie Batch.

TasmanianTroy271
08-16-2005, 04:45 AM
I was watching the game on TV and I saw someone, Herron I think it was, with a deep cut on their arm. Anyone know who that was and the story behind it?

Prosdo
08-16-2005, 05:10 AM
I think it was Herron, but not sure how he got it.

ironcitychef
08-16-2005, 08:26 AM
thanks for calming me down...my top five:

Washington...guy was always open by 2-3 steps? was it him or the defense?
Keisel...just blowing through the second string oline
Harrison/Foote/Farrior...watching those three stunt like crazy and get pressure was great.
Miller...drew a holding call on a pass route(whens the last time our TE needed to be held?), showed quick hands catching and blocking, no mistakes.
Cowher...just liked it cause that thread about is he our best chopice for coach...everytime you saw him he was talking to a player showing him something that he could do better on offense/defense and special teams. He is a players coach.

ironcitychef
08-16-2005, 08:29 AM
Final score, Steelers 20 Eagles 17 With us scoring on both offense and defense.

Never be afraid to make a bold prediction.:cool:

Never thought it would happen on the first play though!

hardwork
08-16-2005, 01:25 PM
I thought you looked pretty good. You're about where we were at against Cincy. What you want is some film to coach off of, and now you have it. That'll help your DBs. The offensive timing always takes a while to come around.

shevdog
08-16-2005, 08:14 PM
I was wondering what everyone's top 5 impressive players were?

Top 5 Players That Impressed
1. James Harrison
2. Fred Gibson
3. Noah Herron
4. Nate Washington
5. Ricardo Colclough

My players who didn't impress were Alonzo Jackson and Charlie Batch.

Batch didn't impress me much either. For a 3rd sting QB, St. Pierre is my pick. He light it up on that quick score later in the game.

I agree with all your top 5. Colclough did very well on D.

It will be nice to see how things are once the D tightens up heading into the start of the season. Opponents, be scared!

Go_Cats
08-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Jeez,,,, Big Ben picked up where he left off last season 57 QB rating,,, are you guys afraid to have him pass or what? He only made 4 attempts. Sounds like the regular season. :busted:

SteelProven
08-16-2005, 11:42 PM
There were a couple of players that stood out in my mind.

1. N. Herron while he didn't dazzle he did show that he'll be around for awhile. He showed a lot of grit running behind a make shift line.

2. F. Gibson he did make a bone head play by letting the corner get underneath him for an INT. But he did show potential by going after balls and his willingness to block down field. I think in a few years will be just as in love with Freds abilities as we are with H. Ward.

3. I. Taylor will I think he could be more effective by playing closer to the line of scrimmage and pressing receivers. I still think he kept the play in front of him and made the open field tackle. He by far is the fastest corner we have and the Steelers should take advantage of that. I don't think him playing 8-10 yards off the line of scrimmage his helping him in any way. It's pre-season a time and place for coaches and players to take chances. I think if utilized properly he could actually be one of our better corners. IMO

4. TE's even though they only accounted for 4 catches 52 yards while some may see this as a small feat I see this as a stepping stone. You can see from the pass interference call involving H. Miller that teams realize that we now have a receiving threat at the TE position.

5. H. Ward while most still criticize him for holding out for those 15 days but he didn't or hasn't missed to much. I think H. Ward could of played last night if needed. While I do think money played a large role in coming back. I am really glad he chose to return even though I have faith in C. Wilson and ARE. I really wouldn't want to see these to running routes the entire season.

Players that I felt didn't help themselves

1. A. Jackson while I watched his every move one he stepped on the field in the 2nd quarter. He should absolutely nothing while the eagles did roll a RB to his side a few times. I think he doesn't have enough pass rushing moves to become a good OLB for the Steelers. While I do think he would of been better used at DE. IMO

2. ARE while I think he has a great future ahead of him. He always seems to short arm catches as evident by his drop pass yesterday. Now I know that you can't judge a player off of one play. But ARE been doing this type of thing for awhile and he's going to have to be come more reliable for the Steelers to be successful.

3. C. Hope while the Steelers did not release there whole arsenal I did see Hope out of position a few times are those long 3rd down completions. While I do think he will be the most improved player on defense. I still think he has played a little inconsistent at times and he's going to have to improve vastly if the Steelers are to maintain or improve on there pass defense from last year.

4. Willie Williams I was never a supporter of him starting anyway so seems him get his jock twisted by a rookie proved my point even more. I'd rather have one of our young corners out there making that mistake then a 34 year-old veteran. I say let Willie mentor the young corners and teach them things that he see's and knows.

5. T. Maddox while some may see C. Batch as being the weakest link. I see T. Maddox as that person. Quick slant to Gibson terrible read even I seen he wasn't in good position to make that catch. The lob pass on the outside he did even have any pressure he should of pulled it down and found he secondary receiver. The pass to Z. Cobb even though Cobb had both hands on the ball was way outside. The Steelers really need to take a long look at the back up QB and see who has more value

BlitzburghRockCity
08-17-2005, 12:39 AM
those are some good observations there, well done. I agree with your players that stood out.

I also agree that Zo jackson is doing nothing so far to warrant that 95 he has on his uniform. Not that he should be compared to Lloyd by any stretch, but atleast he outta be showing some signs of improvement somewhere.

Willie is a crafty veteran, he's quick enough to recover, and he did slip on a couple occasions in coverage. He'll be ok, and I think we need his experience opposite deshea atleast to start the season, and if coc, taylor or mcfadden steps up, then we can always insert them as time goes on.

ARE, he like all the veteran, arent going full bore, doing anything in preseason even close to what they can do. If you talk to any veteran who's spot on the team is solidified, all they wanna do in preseason is get on the field and get off as quick as possible. Nobody wants to show to much or get hurt in a meaningless game.

Batch looked absolutely awful overall, IMO. tommy didnt have his best game either..but I'll still take Tommy over batch when it comes down to it. That stat they showed last night,. Batch has 8 pass attempts in the last 3 seasons !!!!!!!!!!!!! OUCH !!

Hope is someone who has a chance to cash in next year and stay onboard with us, but he has to step it up this season, all year. We dont want to have to search for another starting safety next draft right away.

And dont forget again, its preseason.. unless these mistakes are evident in october, we can't worry too much yet, nor to get awfully optimistic either.

figg
08-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Jeez,,,, Big Ben picked up where he left off last season 57 QB rating,,, are you guys afraid to have him pass or what? He only made 4 attempts. Sounds like the regular season. :busted:

First off keep the smack in the Blast Furnace. Ben only played 8 or 9 snaps :rolleyes:

I guess Palmer did the same with his 65.6 rating with a INT lol

figg
08-17-2005, 01:25 AM
[QUOTE=SteelProven]There were a couple of players that stood out in my mind.

1. N. Herron while he didn't dazzle he did show that he'll be around for awhile. He showed a lot of grit running behind a make shift line. He impressed me the most of all the backs
2. F. Gibson he did make a bone head play by letting the corner get underneath him for an INT. But he did show potential by going after balls and his willingness to block down field. I think in a few years will be just as in love with Freds abilities as we are with H. Ward. I want to see more of him for sure. He looks to have very soft hands.

3. I. Taylor will I think he could be more effective by playing closer to the line of scrimmage and pressing receivers. I still think he kept the play in front of him and made the open field tackle. He by far is the fastest corner we have and the Steelers should take advantage of that. I don't think him playing 8-10 yards off the line of scrimmage his helping him in any way. It's pre-season a time and place for coaches and players to take chances. I think if utilized properly he could actually be one of our better corners. IMO
Here's were I have to disagree. Ike gave up 3 or 4 out passes in the 1st half each going for 8 to 10 yards. A out route is a CB's dream. I kept hoping he'd jump one but he didnt. Colclough is the better player INO. He's faster as you saw on the KO return by Ike when he caught then passed him. And has better instincts and more big play potential. He would have definitley jumped one of thos outs.

4. TE's even though they only accounted for 4 catches 52 yards while some may see this as a small feat I see this as a stepping stone. You can see from the pass interference call involving H. Miller that teams realize that we now have a receiving threat at the TE position. Heath looked very slow to me. I really cant wait to watch him again. Hopefully he'll get more chances. Kranchick looked good.

5. H. Ward while most still criticize him for holding out for those 15 days but he didn't or hasn't missed to much. I think H. Ward could of played last night if needed. While I do think money played a large role in coming back. I am really glad he chose to return even though I have faith in C. Wilson and ARE. I really wouldn't want to see these to running routes the entire season. :bouncy:

Players that I felt didn't help themselves

1. A. Jackson while I watched his every move one he stepped on the field in the 2nd quarter. He should absolutely nothing while the eagles did roll a RB to his side a few times. I think he doesn't have enough pass rushing moves to become a good OLB for the Steelers. While I do think he would of been better used at DE. IMO He's as good as cut imo. A poster from another board gave him the funniest name-Inaction Jackson :busted:

2. ARE while I think he has a great future ahead of him. He always seems to short arm catches as evident by his drop pass yesterday. Now I know that you can't judge a player off of one play. But ARE been doing this type of thing for awhile and he's going to have to be come more reliable for the Steelers to be successful. He does drop some easy ones. I expect him to do better this year in that aspect.

3. C. Hope while the Steelers did not release there whole arsenal I did see Hope out of position a few times are those long 3rd down completions. While I do think he will be the most improved player on defense. I still think he has played a little inconsistent at times and he's going to have to improve vastly if the Steelers are to maintain or improve on there pass defense from last year.

4. Willie Williams I was never a supporter of him starting anyway so seems him get his jock twisted by a rookie proved my point even more. I'd rather have one of our young corners out there making that mistake then a 34 year-old veteran. I say let Willie mentor the young corners and teach them things that he see's and knows. Most people were hating on him last year and looks the same this year. I was happy when he was signed last year and glad they brought him back. He'll be fine. He's still better then Ike. Remember Willie didnt look to good last preseason.

Kemoeatu played real good. I just re-watched the 1st half on tivo. WOW what a beast! On that draw play TD by Parker he dominated the DT. Almost knocked him off his feet on initial contact.

Keisel had a nice game with a sack and big time pressure on the other.

BlitzburghRockCity
08-17-2005, 01:53 AM

Now even you won't stoop so low as to rag on a passer rating of a guy who barely played a couple series in the first preseason game with out his #1 target, and starting RB !! :blah:

Cuz you guys have ZERO room to talk ;)

BB2W
08-18-2005, 01:30 PM

Carson looked good, huh. He went 4 for 11 for 37 yards and an INT. :rofl: He is awful, and maybe the Bengals should consider letting him throw thw ball less. Where was his arm strength when he threw that balloon out to Chad.

Justin Otstott
08-18-2005, 01:36 PM

Afraid? No. Regular Season? Na.

I guess u guys are still upset that the best player on your team went to the Pats. It's ok you guys were trash then too. Please stop taking it out on us.