PDA

View Full Version : Free Agents / Contract Renewals

Ward 86
02-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Does anyone know where to find out which players contracts are up for renewal this year and who will probably not be back for next year.

the only one i could find is Jeff Hartings has retired.

fansince'76
02-05-2007, 01:43 PM
I found this, but it doesn't mention the likelihood of staying or going:

http://www.theredzone.org/2007/freeagents/showteam.asp?Team=Steelers

TasmanianTroy271
02-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Well, we can already take Barrett Brooks out of the equation, so lets take a look at the remaining...

Bailey, Rodney - Rodney did make some plays this year, and, depending on how we draft, will probably take Kirschke's spot
Brown, Chad - Chad was signed to fill in for injuries, and as we all know, we are pretty much definately taking a LB in the draft. He's the oldest of our old LB, so he goes.
Carter, Tyrone - Tyrone filled in nicely as Troy's backup, and contributes on nickel and dime packages as well as special teams so he stays
Davenport, Najeh - Najeh did well in what he was given this year, so depending on how Mike Tomlin feels about Willie carrying the load and the offers he gets from other teams, i believe he will probably be back
Harrison, Arnold - As one of our young LB's, he probably has a really good chance to stay, considering that he knows the system, and when we trim the fat, it will be nice to have a young guy whose used to what we're doing.
Logan, Mike - I wrote about Tyrone before i saw Mike on the list. Mike is one of those guys who the Steeler fans really love. He's a local guy, and he's hard working. But the fact is, he's injury prone, and getting older. It will probably come down to whether he or Tyrone will take less money.
Morey, Sean - In the beginning of last year's preseason, the question was Chidi or Sean. Well, we made our choice, and we saw our ST's suffer. Sean will probably be replaced through a late draft pick, and Willie Reid actually playing.
Stanley, Ronald - No one's really heard much about Ronald that I can remember, so he will probably be in a roster battle with some rookies for a ST spot.
Starks, Max - Max is a starter, but he's also dispensable. Trai Essex and Willie Colon are both guys that were thought to be reaches when we took them, but they have filled in nicely, and they were coached by Grimm. It will probably depend on their showing this offseason, and how much attention Max garners from other teams.
Warren, Greg - Greg's our long snapper. Remember how long Mike Schneck stuck around?
Washington, Nate - Nate has been a pleasant surprise. He's one of my favorite players on the team. He's done well coming out of a small university. We all know Cedrick isn't a long term WR, so we will probably resign Nate and then cut Ced when his contract is up.

polamalufan43
02-05-2007, 02:55 PM
I pretty much agree with the above, except for a few minor details.

Honestly, with a new coaching staff I really don't know how anything is going to go. I guess we will see in the coming weeks and in April.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Ward 86
02-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Good Stuff, Thanx

I guess a lot has to do with how Tomlin wants the team to be as well

polamalufan43
02-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Good Stuff, Thanx

I guess a lot has to do with how Tomlin wants the team to be as well

That's what I mean. His views could be different from Cowher's, they could be the same, or they could be alittle of both. And who knows if the other members of the coaching staff are going to have an impact on what he does.

Elvis
02-05-2007, 03:54 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I pretty much agree with everyone so far on this one. I think that Tomlin will change up alot of things in his first couple of years so we will have to just wait and see I guess. I hope that we keep SS Tyrone Carter, cuz he looked pretty decent in place of Troy late this past season. It surprised me that he played so well, I hope that we let Davenport go and get us a good young power back in the draft. But I hope that Tomlin keeps our defense together. What about Dominic Rhodes at RB? He looked pretty good this year for the Colts and he is a free agent this year..:wave: :helmet:

polamalufan43
02-05-2007, 04:20 PM
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I pretty much agree with everyone so far on this one. I think that Tomlin will change up alot of things in his first couple of years so we will have to just wait and see I guess. I hope that we keep SS Tyrone Carter, cuz he looked pretty decent in place of Troy late this past season. It surprised me that he played so well, I hope that we let Davenport go and get us a good young power back in the draft. But I hope that Tomlin keeps our defense together. What about Dominic Rhodes at RB? He looked pretty good this year for the Colts and he is a free agent this year..:wave: :helmet:

That might not be a bad idea. Of course alot of teams are going to want him and be willing to pay big bucks I suppose. I think we should still look in the draft for a back as well, just so that we have a young fresh back that will be here for a while.

Dynasty
02-05-2007, 04:56 PM
dominic rodes wouldnt be valuble to us as he is same type of runner as FWP... he wouldnt be complimentry or anythiung, and definitly not worh w/e $$$s we pay the man and the superbowl adds $$$ to the expected deal for him

sheba
02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
i just hope the cut duce

Big D
02-05-2007, 06:14 PM
i just hope the cut duce

good thing they did a couple months ago

polamalufan43
02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
good thing they did a couple months ago

I'll crap if they bring him back. I like don't even want to joke about that. I mean, he was a good runner, but his best days are long behind him...

Ward 86
02-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I'll crap if they bring him back. I like don't even want to joke about that. I mean, he was a good runner, but his best days are long behind him...

agreed, and he was a big salary cap waste

steelerfreak86
02-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Hi guys, I am new to the boards..The Steelers have to find a BIG back either in the draft or through FA..It is a must for us to succeed..However, who knows Tomlin could turn us into a passing team..I hope that Tomlin will be able to find diamonds in the rough as well as Cowher did...I can't wait until the draft and we will see what direction Tomlin is looking to go..

FindlaySteel
02-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Anyone know where I can find out salary cap numbers. Interested in how much room the Steelers have to play with. Here's a question for all to ponder. Think Porter fits into Tomlins scheme? Interested to see if they secure him or let him go.

dunkuntou
02-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Harrison is staying he is an exclusive rights free agent which means he would have to get cut to go to another team. So its a definite.

Stanley is also an ERFA but he will have to compete for a job

Warren is absolutely staying...Schneck only left because he got to expensive. Warren is also an ERFA

Nate is our third receiver and isn't going anywhere

I am not as big a fan of Ty Carter as the rest of you. He is only a decent tackler and has trouble in coverage. Logan is good to keep around as a leader but he is too hurt too much.

As for Starks it all depends on what they tender him. If they offer him the top tender he is back for sure. No one will give up that much for him. If they offer him the mid-level there is probably a 70/30 chance he stays

DJfan
02-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Let's hope Tomlin uses our young guys more. It made me sick to have them rot on the bench. Even worse was when they replaced the vets during injuries, did well, then didn't keep the job when the vet recovered. I bet we have more talent there than we know.

BTW, BigD, did bledsoe actually say that? Link? It sounds like his attitude, but it's extreme to say. He's great if you like stats, but he is the Marty Schotenheimer of QBs.

ben2hines=6
02-12-2007, 03:01 PM
def keep nate...still has problems catching the ball but he has the potential and size to be very good.....and yes u have to keep tyrone and logan, they r some of the best special teamers in the league.....now, as far as starks goes i wouldnt mind seeing us trade up for the tackle from psu anyone agree?

Dynasty
02-12-2007, 09:41 PM
DJfan: the quote in Big D's sig is from tonyhomo.com which is this joke blog by these people who were sarcastically pretending to be Bledsoe.

steeldogAL
02-13-2007, 07:07 PM
I sure hope we keep Tyrone Carter, he is a great defensive back and plays with a lot of passion. Has anyone heard anything about Troy Polamalu's or Big Ben's contracts.... I think their contracts are almost up..... I think they are two of our main guys we really need to get them extended.... GO STEELERS!:tt02: