PDA

View Full Version : Optimism for next year

FastWillieParker39
02-05-2007, 06:39 PM
I'm half and half whether we can make the playoffs next year or not.

Sometimes I think............ok if Ben can stay healthy the offense will be good because of the late success they had this past year and the fact that they have a decent schedule.

Then I think..............well our division and our conference is deep and we have new coaches so the playes mindset might be different.

So what do you think?

touchdownward
02-05-2007, 07:55 PM
I'll bypass the half and half and have straight creamer in my coffee:wink02: , so I'm taking the Black and Gold's triumphant return to the Superbowl!!!!
:tt02:

83-Steelers-43
02-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I'll be more inclined to respond to this question/thread when the draft is over and done with and after seeing what the Rooney's do in FA (if anything).

iloveben7
02-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I KNOW the Steelers will be back next year and will be Superbowl XLI CHAMPS!!
Yeah I know I'm too optimistic, but I said the same thing before the 05 season and I was right!!

FastWillieParker39
02-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah I know I'm too optimistic, but I said the same thing before the 05 season and I was right!!

XLI was this years Super Bowl

Steelers
02-05-2007, 11:50 PM

Maybe we'll be sooo good next year, they'll take the Super Bowl XLI trophy away from the Colts and give it to us, lol. I kid, I kid.

Anthony_Smith27
02-05-2007, 11:53 PM
we will most definitely be back next season, if it wasn't for some stupid mental mistakes we would have been in the playoffs. not sure if we would have won it all because it might have been tony dungy's year no matter what. but last year, we just took on the personality of our head coach, our head coach came in with no passion and all ready knowing he was going to retire. also this year was a humbling year for these guys.

ben now knows he is human, and i think he's going to be more prepared for next season and we will see what we saw his rookie year, a hungry qb, success came to quick for him and he had no real reason to improve. but i think he'll improve by leaps and bounds next season

holmes improved on special teams throughout the year, and special teams was also something that killed us. i think we will be better next year, with him having a years worth of experience. hopefully willie reid will be back, he can be great as a punt returner, and then him and holmes combining on kick off returns can be very scary

man, i can't wait for next season. we will be taking back what is rightfully ours. we are just allowing the colts to hold the trophy for a year while we make a new shelf for it lol

TasmanianTroy271
02-06-2007, 12:22 AM
I agree with what Anthony Smith says. We had one HELL of an offseason last year. Even though El was our slot receiver, he brought a totally new dimension to our offense. Plus The Bus being able to punch it in as long as we were in field goal range was very nice. And even though I wasn't a big fan of Chris Hope, he did know what he was doing more than Ryan Clark or Anthony Smith did this year. Ben's motorcycle accident, and the loss of Troy partially through the season; Santonio and Ricardo fumbles; We had alot of problems this year, but we gained alot more for next season. Now we have a few very nice spots in the draft, and not alot of holes in our team. We also have a new coach who will shake things up. One of the main problems with Cowher was that he had his favorites, and it was very hard for younger guys to get any action. People like Chris Kemoeatu, Willie Colon, Rian Wallace, and John Kuhn will all be starting on a clean slate. And we also aren't losing any key players this year to FA, except maybe Max Starks, who isn't exactly a pro-bowler in his own right. Do I think we'll make the playoffs next year? Yes. Do I think we'll win the Superbowl? Unlikely, but anything is possible.

FastWillieParker39
02-06-2007, 01:50 AM
another thing is Im worried about the coaching changes and people leaving. Its not the same staff so Im unsure whether or not the team will gel and be comfortable.

Preacher
02-06-2007, 02:00 AM
I actually am not worried about that. Here is a young coach. He knows what kind of ipression he needs to make. I think he will come in strong. I think he will pull the team together. I think his work effort will rub off.

Of course... Who cares what I think! :computer:

Haiku_Dirtt
02-06-2007, 02:11 AM
I'll be more inclined to respond to this question/thread when the draft is over and done with and after seeing what the Rooney's do in FA (if anything).

And what else would we want to think after that display against the ravens. Gangrene? No. But that loss to Baltimore (not unlike the loss to the Jags) left abdominal wounds.

The implosions last season are easier to throw dirt over than the flat out a**_whoopins'.

Preacher
02-06-2007, 02:16 AM
And what else would we want to think after that display against the ravens. Gangrene? No. But that loss to Baltimore (not unlike the loss to the Jags) left abdominal wounds.

The implosions last season are easier to throw dirt over than the flat out a**_whoopins'.

What in the.... How in the world can... How dare you... Who EVER.... cough cough... um.. er... okay. yeah. your right!

sumo
02-06-2007, 02:39 AM
I agree with the optimism and it's not blind - I think we have a shot at returning to the playoffs next year - heck , we should have gone 12-4 this year - we need to figure out the Ravens for one thing - they owned us this year - but we plug a few holes with some big monsters on the line and open up the RB postion behind Parker for competition and we're there - Ike will make a comeback, Troy will be healthy - I don't think any of it is overly optimistic --- with the Rooneys, we will always be close..

ChronoCross
02-06-2007, 04:33 AM
Ben will be healthy. Troy will be healthy. We have some young stars getting better. Ike will be back in full force, he really did not like riding the pine and it showed. Offensive line adjustments to open the run game on a constant basis. Not to mention the motivation and heart they will play with this upcoming season to push towards a 13-3 record and a run at SB Champs again.

iloveben7
02-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Yeah sorry guys I just noticed that I put XLI instead of XLII!! I was just really wishing that we would've won this year!!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-06-2007, 09:44 PM
I think Ben and our receivers need to get on the same page and work their ass off in the off season so the passing game can be a threat this year.

Other than that....I think our offensive line needs to block

If this happens.........SUPERBOWL BOUND

RoethlisBURGHer
02-07-2007, 12:10 AM
We will be back in the playoffs if not Super Bowl XLII.

Coach Tomlin will light a fire under this team.Cowher had loyalties to certain players,Tomlin doesn't.If you don't have the fire,if you don't produce...you won't be good enough to make Mike Tomlin's team.

If Porter doesn't restructure,he'll be gone.Too much of a cap hit for so little production.Let Silverback get in there and tear a new a$$h0le in the opposing offenses.

Townsend,he probally won't start and he might not even be on the team.I want him here for vet leadership,but if we can infuse better,younger talent...then we'll be better off IMHO.

Anthony Smith must start as FS along Polamalu.He's a playmaker who'll bust some heads out there.

If Polamalu was healthy all season,our secondary woulda been much better.He's the biggest playmaker on the defense.he can play S,CB,DE,and LB...and he plays them all in one game.He must be accounted for the entire game.

Ben will be healthy,in shape,and focused for the season.He won't be making the dumb passes he was making this year because he won't be constantly injured.

Our WR's will be better.Look for Holmes and Ward to start,with Washington the #3 reciever,Wilson the #4,and Reid the #5 who will primarily return punts/kickoffs.

memphissteelergirl
02-07-2007, 09:53 AM
We will be back in the playoffs if not Super Bowl XLII.

Coach Tomlin will light a fire under this team.Cowher had loyalties to certain players,Tomlin doesn't.If you don't have the fire,if you don't produce...you won't be good enough to make Mike Tomlin's team.

If Porter doesn't restructure,he'll be gone.Too much of a cap hit for so little production.Let Silverback get in there and tear a new a$$h0le in the opposing offenses.

Townsend,he probally won't start and he might not even be on the team.I want him here for vet leadership,but if we can infuse better,younger talent...then we'll be better off IMHO.

Anthony Smith must start as FS along Polamalu.He's a playmaker who'll bust some heads out there.

If Polamalu was healthy all season,our secondary woulda been much better.He's the biggest playmaker on the defense.he can play S,CB,DE,and LB...and he plays them all in one game.He must be accounted for the entire game.

Ben will be healthy,in shape,and focused for the season.He won't be making the dumb passes he was making this year because he won't be constantly injured.

Our WR's will be better.Look for Holmes and Ward to start,with Washington the #3 reciever,Wilson the #4,and Reid the #5 who will primarily return punts/kickoffs.

:iagree: Excellent points!

Training camp will be verrry een-teresting I think. With a new coach, I think all the guys-veterans and rookies-will basically have to try out for the team all over again. From his very first press conference, it seems to me Tomlin was not overly impressed with anyone's "star" status. I think he was saying it's time for everybody to get back to work.

And I think the team knows it...I am sure they didn't like the result of last season anymore than we did as fans. So I am not worried....the Black and Gold will be back! :tt02: :tt02:

Big D
02-07-2007, 09:58 AM
I want to remind you all that tomlin is alot of ways like tony dungy. You wont see him screaming,swearing and spitting in his players faces. I think he will be a motiavtional guy like dungy. I think realisticaly this is a playoffs team. Superbowl not this year. I think Ben will improve, I think willie parker will improve and same with santonio holmes. I think we will go anywhere from 9-7 or 11-5.

FastWillieParker39
02-07-2007, 08:28 PM
I would say anywhere from 9-7 to 13-3.

Everyone says well if we can run the ball or if the D can step up we will be fine.................thats not it. THE ONLY WAY WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS IS IF BEN IS HEALTHY. This team is much different when Ben is not healthy or not playing. He carries this team he makes everyone better. He is a motivation guy, he knows how to win and makes the plays to win..................WHEN HE IS HEALTHY. We all know the D can play we all know Willie can be well Willie. All we need is Ben to be healthy and ready to go.

Its that simple.

iloveben7
02-07-2007, 09:44 PM
^Ben WILL be healthy and he will carry our team throughout the entire season including the playoffs and Superbowl XLII!! And Ben will go to the ProBowl!!

Busforever
02-08-2007, 09:07 AM
I think Roethlisberger will post a tremendous 2007 season. He learned a lot this year and became a true leader playing with pain. Plus Holmes is very promising.

The key will be all the offseason moves in defense. Our cap number is scary, and we've got number of player in the last year of contract (Polamalu, Haggans, Porter, Farrior, Aaron Smith)

And I'd like to keep Nate Washington. His contract expires this year...

atrus20
02-08-2007, 09:13 AM
I think that with all the new coaching moves and philosophies that we will throw some teams off and surprise them with what we will be capable of. More open offensive sets has some promising possibilities though I'm not quite sure that we have the personnel to do it.

TexaSteeler
02-08-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm half and half whether we can make the playoffs next year or not.

Sometimes I think............ok if Ben can stay healthy the offense will be good because of the late success they had this past year and the fact that they have a decent schedule.

Then I think..............well our division and our conference is deep and we have new coaches so the playes mindset might be different.

So what do you think?

I don't think it all revolves around Ben being out as much as brining him back too early from injury. That was when the Steelers were at their worst last year; his first game or two back.

terribletowel67
02-08-2007, 09:30 AM
i think no need to worry. tomlin will bring a new attitude and the players will respond, we are set at quarterback, ben will have a clean slate! the running game is in good hands with parker,i can see us drafting another back though.remember veron haynes will also be back. our recievers look to be solid i think holmes is ready for a breakout year. the line will be solid, we may lose starks, but again he is very replaceable. okkobi or phillip will get the nod at center. on d i don't think you will see much change, lebeau is back good move. the line is solid as always, the linebackers need depth but we will address that in the draft. i feel our only weak link is at corner, i like mcfadden, you can't give up on ike yet i think he will be fine, but townsend has to go i see us drafting a corner, at safety i like smith over clark. we should be solid in 2007. super bowl maybe maybe not, but a good playoff run should be expected

stgo
02-08-2007, 10:42 AM
If we eleiminate these unforced mistakes and BEN play a little bit more cautious with the football, we should make the playoff next season. From then on, I have no idea.

In the playoff, any team has a chance. Especially in AFC, this year, no 3 team colts win the SB. in 2005, no 6 steelers win the SB.

So if we get into the playoff, we may have a good shot on the SB.

steelcity58
02-08-2007, 12:30 PM
The Steelers should win the division.

Cincy has proven themselves half explosive, and half implosive, and that's just their offense.

The Ravens...back to 8-8...maybe worse.

Browns?:sofunny:

After the division crown...dunno...

They need an every down and also a speedy receiver to take the clamps off of Hines that defenses put on him...since HW is the only real and constant threat the Steelers have atm.

On a scale of 1-10...10 being best...I'm of the 7 range...glass more than half full, etc.

Livinginthe past
02-08-2007, 12:38 PM
The Steelers should win the division.

Cincy has proven themselves half explosive, and half implosive, and that's just their offense.

The Ravens...back to 8-8...maybe worse.

Browns?:sofunny:

After the division crown...dunno...

They need an every down and also a speedy receiver to take the clamps off of Hines that defenses put on him...since HW is the only real and constant threat the Steelers have atm.

On a scale of 1-10...10 being best...I'm of the 7 range...glass more than half full, etc.

The Ravens beat the Steelers up pretty bad last year - on both occasions the Steelers were never really in the game.

Any particular reason you think a 13-3 team is going to finish at 8-8 or worse?

NM

Newzfoxjr
02-08-2007, 01:31 PM
The Ravens beat the Steelers up pretty bad last year - on both occasions the Steelers were never really in the game.

Any particular reason you think a 13-3 team is going to finish at 8-8 or worse?

NM

Denver went from 13-3 to 9-7...and so did Seattle...it could happen...:flap:

Max Power
02-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Oh my goodness. Why the sepculation that we wouldn't make the playoffs next season?

We are coming back with a new fire burning inside. A new coach, lots of new staff and we'll actually get a nice draft chioce. We still have a good nucleaus of players that just recently won a Super Bowl. How bad can we be? With the experience of a down season behind us, we will come at the next one with an intense fire burning inside. We will consume our division in single bites. WE ARE HUNGRY. Watch us go.

steel58
02-08-2007, 01:50 PM
My optimism will be much higher if we actually do something in free agency. Either get an OL or DB (Nick Harper?). Otherwise, we have too many needs in the draft.

axlbundy
02-08-2007, 03:13 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said if Ben can stay healthy we have a shot. Also we really need to see what Willie Reid can do on punt returns...Santonio is NOT the answer. IMO his fumbles were just as costly as Bens INTs last season.

FastWillieParker39
02-08-2007, 05:58 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head when you said if Ben can stay healthy we have a shot. Also we really need to see what Willie Reid can do on punt returns...Santonio is NOT the answer. IMO his fumbles were just as costly as Bens INTs last season.

but he played great in the 2nd half of the year