PDA

View Full Version : Najeh Davenport

Steelfan32578
02-06-2007, 12:28 AM
I know that we went 6 and 2 for the second half of the season, but why not use this guy more in the offensive game plan IN THE FUTURE. He was a stud on special teams and on occasional third down packages. He is not the answer to the BUS, but hey he is a bruiser. Lets get him going in 07?

Here we go Steelers here we go!

Anthony_Smith27
02-06-2007, 12:50 AM
that is where you are wrong, dookie is not a bruiser at all. he is a big speed back. he does not like to pound, he rather try to beat the defender then run them over.

if he is willing to sign cheap then lets keep him, because he was a good 3rd down running back and did good on special teams

but again, he is not a bruiser, never has been and never will be

FastWillieParker39
02-06-2007, 01:35 AM
you could tell he isnt a "run you over" type of RB by just watching him

Preacher
02-06-2007, 01:39 AM
ROTFL... Speed back.

Anthony_Smith27
02-06-2007, 01:44 AM
ROTFL... Speed back.

you think he's a bruiser???

his game has always been built on his speed, he is fast for a fat boy. and he loves to out run the defenders, he may not do it much but that is the kind of back he is. he was like that at the U, he was like that at green bay. and he was like that here. he doesn't like the pound, and he can't really pound, cause for a big guy he's soft.

ChronoCross
02-06-2007, 04:37 AM
Daven is good for STs and some 3rd down work. Working him a lot will just get him on the pine. He is very injury pron. Ya he is soft. I just think he was a temp until Haynes was back and see who we might get in FA are Draft.

memphissteelergirl
02-06-2007, 11:20 AM
I have stated before that I would like to see more of Willie and Najeh together in the backfield...shake things up in the running game. And what about Kuhn? Maybe if he has a good camp we could see more of him.

Bottom line: If we get a good bruising FB in the draft, all well and good. But if we don't, I would like to think the coaches will analyze what each member of our RB corps has to offer and utilize their strengths and put so much of the job on Willie.

SteelerTim
02-07-2007, 03:11 PM
you could tell he isnt a "run you over" type of RB by just watching him

He may not be a "run you over" type of RB but he broke more tackles in his limited playing time than Parker did as a starter. I love FWP but ND seemed to energize the team with his runs. I think they make a great tandem.

lambert_58
02-08-2007, 04:45 AM
does anyone know how verron's recovery has been going?

Livinginthe past
02-08-2007, 05:43 AM
What the point in having a big back that shy's away from contact?

NM

TerryD
02-08-2007, 06:00 AM
What running backs will the Steelers look at in the draft? Any indications from the Senior Bowl workouts?

ARKIESTEEL
02-08-2007, 07:49 AM
I dont see nothing wrong with big 44

NJarhead
02-08-2007, 08:35 AM
I dont see nothing wrong with big 44

I agree. He was a great find.

DJfan
02-08-2007, 09:26 AM
If the back field was FWP, Najeh and Kuhn we would be alright. I'm just not a believer in Haynes.

brianski71
02-08-2007, 09:30 AM
why does he return kicks? we need willie reid in 07

skidboot
02-08-2007, 09:36 AM
What running backs will the Steelers look at in the draft? Any indications from the Senior Bowl workouts?

I liked Brian Leonard/Rutgers before the season and I like him even more now. He gave his job to more of a true TB and took the FB job.

The guy IMO is a hammer and can do lots of good things. He blasted Patrick Willis backwards in the Senior Bowl and that REALLY stuck out.

Some team is gonna be REAL happy with him. Lets hope its the Steelers!!!

Infamix
02-08-2007, 09:59 AM
I disagree with everyone who said Najeh is soft. He's just injury prone so thats his image. I've seen him stiffarm, run people over, and drag defenders. Not like ths bus, because yes, he is a "speedy" big back, but he is anything but soft. Re-sign him for cheap.

Tim
02-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Well, anyone who saw his kick returns sure wouldn't refer to him as a "speed back". I know Heinz Field has a crappy surface, but geez... it looked like he was running in sand or something.

Still, if he could stay healthy, he's a good utility back.

I just hope we can field someone on kick returns that has the presence of mind to secure the ball before trying anything else.

William Munney
02-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Davenport does shy away from contact. I think the Steelers do need a compliment to Willie. I'm looking forward to seeing what Kuhn does in training camp and the preseason.:smile:

blackgoldchamps
02-08-2007, 11:08 AM
I personnally am not a Haynes fan. Hope the Steelers draft a big back in a higher round to give Davenport some compition and see what happens. Kuhn looked promising. Will be an interesting position to watch in camp.

Max Power
02-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Exactly where does Davenport Shy away from contact? Can anyone point this out?

Nobody excells on Special Teams without contact, Nobody.

I actually thought the pick up of Davenport was an excellent one. He brought his game with him when he came in, and we did see some nice plays out of him. It's tough for someone to come into a situation like this in mid-season and pick up an unknown playbook and be able to contribute. He did just that. He gave us a nice weapon for screen plays that we hadn't had.

I'd like to see more. If he's asking for too much cash, well then, it was nice to know you...,litterally. I did meet him here in Wisconsin.

Preacher
02-08-2007, 01:42 PM

I actually thought the pick up of Davenport was an excellent one. He brought his game with him when he came in, and we did see some nice plays out of him. It's tough for someone to come into a situation like this in mid-season and pick up an unknown playbook and be able to contribute. He did just that. He gave us a nice weapon for screen plays that we hadn't had.

I'd like to see more. If he's asking for too much cash, well then, it was nice to know you...,litterally. I did meet him here in Wisconsin.

The problem here is that everyone is looking for the next jerome Bettis reincarnated. jerome ran TOWARDS darkness. He is one of the only backs to EVERY do that. Most backs will find the angle to get more yards. Jerome found the angle for the biggest hit coming through the line.

Davenport was a good find. He will do well with us. I want back... Haynes isn't the answer. But I want three backs to spread out the abuse when we do decide to run.

axlbundy
02-08-2007, 03:17 PM
I enjoyed Najeh in the second part of last season, however it got old really fast when they would run the little screen pass to him EVERY third down. I actually started to miss the traditional Veron Haynes draw up the middle 3rd down play. I agree with whoever said it would be interesting to see both Najeh and Willie in the backfield at the same time....the only question is can Najeh block? I remember a few times last season when he looked confused about his blocking assignments and Ben got sacked

Max Power
02-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Again, Najeh got here in mid season. He was learning on the fly. What he was able to contribute was bonus for us. I would like to see him get an entire training camp and the included mini camps with it. Yet I've not heard of any movement on that front.

Elvis
02-08-2007, 04:34 PM
:blah: NO TO NAJEH DAVENPORT... HE AND DUCE SHOULD HANG OUT TOGETHER ....
OFF THE FIELD... OFF THE PAYROLL...:banging:

The_Professor
02-08-2007, 05:32 PM
I think Najeh should be around per what we do in the draft... although I do think that Verron (assuming he comes back healthy) can be almost as capable as Najeh. If Naj is a 6 out of 10 Verron is a 5.

Livinginthe past
02-08-2007, 09:52 PM

I would say Devin Hester does. :wink02:

NM