PDA

View Full Version : Another steeler coach to Zona.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
02-06-2007, 12:47 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_491876.html

Raich latest coach to leave Steelers

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Matt Raich has become the latest member of Bill Cowher's last Steelers staff to find a new home in Arizona.

Raich, the Steelers' offensive assistant the past three seasons, cleaned out his locker at the Steelers' South Side practice facility Monday and told club employees he was joining new Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt's staff in Arizona as the defensive assistant.

Whisenhunt, the Steelers' offensive coordinator last season, was hired to replace Dennis Green.

Whisenhunt previously had hired former Steelers assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm and former Steelers special teams coach Kevin Spencer to fill those roles in Arizona.

Raich, a graduate of Monaca High School and Westminster College, spent two years as an intern in the Steelers' personnel department prior to becoming the offensive assistant in 2004. He has also coached at Robert Morris, Westminster and Glenville State.

"I'm excited," Raich said. "It's going to be extremely tough to leave home. It's been special, particularly during the Super Bowl year, but I think this is a great opportunity to continue working under Ken and Russ, who have always been very special people to me."

Darren Perry, who coached the Steelers' secondary since 2003, was hired yesterday to fill the same role with the Oakland Raiders.

Perry, who starred at Penn State, resigned last month following a meeting with new Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. Raiders coach Lane Kiffin brought him on board to replace Chuck Pagano.

"Darren's track record speaks for itself in Pittsburgh, first as an outstanding player and then equally as a proven coach," Kiffin said. "His work in the defensive backfield has resulted in championship caliber play from all areas."

ChronoCross
02-06-2007, 03:35 AM
Cards getting a lot of us in them far as old coaching staff.. Should be interesting to see how they improve. Bet Cards fans are jumping up and down right now.

stlrtruck
02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Cards getting a lot of us in them far as old coaching staff.. Should be interesting to see how they improve. Bet Cards fans are jumping up and down right now.

Yeah they may be doing that but they should be reminded that GREATER IS THE WHOLE THAN IS THE SUM OF IT'S PARTS. It wasn't just the coaches that made the Super Bowl run, it was the players too.

And just because an Assistant was good as a Coordinator or whatever position, it doesn't mean they will be as good in a new position, specifically Head Coach.

Don't get me wrong, I wish Whiz well (except for when playing us) but let's not put the cart before the horse!

nicesteel4life
02-06-2007, 10:19 AM
Totally agree!!!! It is way to early to figure out if it works. Also think Perry made a huge mistake going to Raiders, is he thinking Bigger? Well WE shall all see how good they all were.....

SteelerMurf
02-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Anyone find it odd that he is going from offensive assistant to defensive assistant? It doesn't make much sense.

klick81
02-06-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm just glad it's a team like the Cards. I have nothing against them or their fans. I'd be happy to see them improve. Not too much though :smile:

polamalufan43
02-06-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm just glad it's a team like the Cards. I have nothing against them or their fans. I'd be happy to see them improve. Not too much though :smile:

That's true, but at this rate there only two left will be Tomlin and LeBeau....

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

sumo
02-06-2007, 01:27 PM

yes we are - I am excited to see what the Rooney mojo will do in the desert!

HometownGal
02-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Anyone find it odd that he is going from offensive assistant to defensive assistant? It doesn't make much sense.

That was my first thought when I read the above article, too. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

jammer699
02-08-2007, 05:28 PM
bye...see you...cards will suck again.as allways...lol