PDA

View Full Version : Peter King: Roethlisberger 11th Among Active Quarterbacks??????

alittlejazzbird
02-06-2007, 12:22 PM
I really like Peter King and read his columns faithfully, but today's Tuesday Edition was just too much:

"FAVRE, ACCORDING TO BRANDON, SHOULD NOT COME BACK, I GUESS. From Brandon, of London: 'Let's get a little more opinion on Favre, the Teflon man. Where would you rank him among starting QBs in the league? While I don't know your answer, I will preemptively say that it seems pretty low ranking, considering his age and that the Packers are a rebuilding team. Rice was still having "fun" too, and everyone thought he should retire.''

Where would I rank Favre right now? Okay, here we go. I say 10. My order:

1. Peyton Manning. 2. Tom Brady. 3. Drew Brees. 4. Carson Palmer. 5. Marc Bulger. 6. Matt Hasselbeck. 7. Philip Rivers. 8. Donovan McNabb. 9. Tony Romo. 10. Brett Favre. 11. Ben Roethlisberger. 12. Matt Leinart. 13. Vince Young. 14. Chad Pennington. 15. Jay Cutler.

That ought to get the arguments started."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/02/06/super/1.html

Is he KIDDING? Marc Bulger and Tony Romo are ranked above Ben???? Well, as he said, it'll get the arguments started, all right. Sheesh.

Borski
02-06-2007, 12:42 PM
WHAT?! He is no farther down then #5
what was he smokin when he made that artical?!

SteelerMurf
02-06-2007, 12:47 PM
I really like Peter King and read his columns faithfully, but today's Tuesday Edition was just too much:

"FAVRE, ACCORDING TO BRANDON, SHOULD NOT COME BACK, I GUESS. From Brandon, of London: 'Let's get a little more opinion on Favre, the Teflon man. Where would you rank him among starting QBs in the league? While I don't know your answer, I will preemptively say that it seems pretty low ranking, considering his age and that the Packers are a rebuilding team. Rice was still having "fun" too, and everyone thought he should retire.''

1. Peyton Manning. 2. Tom Brady. 3. Drew Brees. 4. Carson Palmer. 5. Marc Bulger. 6. Matt Hasselbeck. 7. Philip Rivers. 8. Donovan McNabb. 9. Tony Romo. 10. Brett Favre. 11. Ben Roethlisberger. 12. Matt Leinart. 13. Vince Young. 14. Chad Pennington. 15. Jay Cutler.

Is he KIDDING? Marc Bulger and Tony Romo are ranked above Ben???? Well, as he said, it'll get the arguments started, all right. Sheesh.

I don't have a problem with that list except for Romo who had a stretch of about 3 or 4 good games, but you don't get a top 10 rating off a few games.

Bulger is a very good QB on a team without an oline...seriously they cannot pass protect worth a crap

TackleMeBen
02-06-2007, 12:47 PM
fair is fair romo didn't play many games. ben has 3 years in and already two championship games

BOXCAR JOEY
02-06-2007, 12:51 PM
honestly thats a personal opinion of one person. true ranking is in the stats that a player produces for the season, unlike thats guys popularity contest rank.

alittlejazzbird
02-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Assuming that Peter is basing his rankings on the quarterback's collective body of work (as opposed to only last season), I certainly have no quibble with Manning, Brady, and probably McNabb. Maybe even Brees. I still don't understand why everyone puts Carson Palmer in the upper echelons at this point in time. Does his body of work support it? I don't think so. I'd absolutely rank Brett Favre above Romo, Rivers, Hasselbeck and Bulger. The troubles of the last two seasons aside, those four combined aren't fit to shine Favre's shoes in terms of all he's accomplished in his career. Of course Ben struggled last season (as did the entire team), but in my opinion his collective body of work should put him no lower than about 6.

BOXCAR JOEY
02-06-2007, 12:56 PM
i agree. i cant see palmer being up there. he has some numbers but not enough to rank him that high

Newzfoxjr
02-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Palmer should be lower, Ben should be higher, etc.

Matt Leinart is better than Pennington? That's kind of weird...I haven't seen Leinart play much though.

klick81
02-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Assuming that Peter is basing his rankings on the quarterback's collective body of work (as opposed to only last season), I certainly have no quibble with Manning, Brady, and probably McNabb. Maybe even Brees. I still don't understand why everyone puts Carson Palmer in the upper echelons at this point in time. Does his body of work support it? I don't think so. I'd absolutely rank Brett Favre above Romo, Rivers, Hasselbeck and Bulger. The troubles of the last two seasons aside, those four combined aren't fit to shine Favre's shoes in terms of all he's accomplished in his career. Of course Ben struggled last season (as did the entire team), but in my opinion his collective body of work should put him no lower than about 6.

That's a very good way of putting it.

sumo
02-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Palmer should be lower, Ben should be higher, etc.

Matt Leinart is better than Pennington? That's kind of weird...I haven't seen Leinart play much though.

I saw Leinart play in every game he started except 1 - he is good - he had protection problems, but he played with a lot of poise for a rookie - I would say he's much better than Pennington - if Whiz is able to solve their Oline problems this next year, Lienart will really take off - he actually reminds me of Ben...

Speaking of Ben, the only reason he is all the way down to 11 is simple - interceptions - I'm one of Ben's biggest fans, but let's be honest - he threw some bad red zone pics this year ...but I think this is a problem he will fix and he will have his best year in 2007

King is probably basing these rankings off of last season and what he thinks they will be able to do in 2007 - what other measure should he use? - you can't make Favre #1 just because he leads all active QBs in yardage, TDs, etc - I do think Ben had a better year than Romo and what is McNabb doing up there - he barely played and who knows how he will recover from his injury? I would rank Ben about 7 or 8 at this point, but I'm sure he will prove me wrong next season...

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-06-2007, 01:33 PM
I dont see the Carson "man-crush' going away too soon...The only good thing about all the problems that the Bengals are having is that it makes people forget that he has been 8-8 twice in the short period that he has been a starter

Ben will be back next year....but his play this year is the reason for his ranking...we just have to accept the fact that he will have to "prove" himself all over again.

Anthony_Smith27
02-06-2007, 02:46 PM
for me ben is in the top 10 but i don't know where, i know he's definitely not in top 5

manning (even though he barely won it all, he is still hands down the best qb in the league.)
brady (not the greatest, but he does everything good, and is clutch)
brees (brees has been consistent for the last several years, and just blew up this year, and it was no fluke year either)
mcnabb (when healthy)
palmer (he's really good, sure he's a bengal, but i'm not to bias so i can give him his due)

then i guess i'd put him somewhere after that, hasselback might be better right now, ummm, maybe rivers, but i'll wait to judge him till after next year, delhomme possibly, this year he sucked but he's pretty good

but ben is most definitely in the top ten

but i don't think favre is in top 15, maybe the old favre, but not this favre

romo, he was all hype at the beginning, he did good but fell off down the stretch of the season so as more teams get more tape on him the more he'll be exposed and the cowboys will be looking for a new qb

sumo
02-06-2007, 02:54 PM
for me ben is in the top 10 but i don't know where, i know he's definitely not in top 5

manning (even though he barely won it all, he is still hands down the best qb in the league.)
brady (not the greatest, but he does everything good, and is clutch)
brees (brees has been consistent for the last several years, and just blew up this year, and it was no fluke year either)
mcnabb (when healthy)
palmer (he's really good, sure he's a bengal, but i'm not to bias so i can give him his due)

then i guess i'd put him somewhere after that, hasselback might be better right now, ummm, maybe rivers, but i'll wait to judge him till after next year, delhomme possibly, this year he sucked but he's pretty good

but ben is most definitely in the top ten

but i don't think favre is in top 15, maybe the old favre, but not this favre

romo, he was all hype at the beginning, he did good but fell off down the stretch of the season so as more teams get more tape on him the more he'll be exposed and the cowboys will be looking for a new qb

I don't know - I think Romo is pretty decent - the Cowboys lost down the stretch because their defense sucked - they gave up 38 points to the freakin Lions! - you're right that teams defended him better after a few games, but I think he will be the starter in Dallas at least for the next couple of seasons...

SteelerFanInCA
02-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Yeah but how many of those guys on the list actually have "rings"?

Eztarget
02-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Tony Romo at #9? :rofl:

That's all I needed to see to stop reading. Romo will be a one hit wonder in this league mark my words. Teams were already making him look bad once they had film on him.

memphissteelergirl
02-06-2007, 03:32 PM
OK, I know Ben's numbers slipped last season, but too put him behind Favre?? Come on! I think King has a man-crush on Brett like Madden does! :wink02:

sumo
02-06-2007, 04:01 PM
OK, I know Ben's numbers slipped last season, but too put him behind Favre?? Come on! I think King has a man-crush on Brett like Madden does! :wink02:

Try the whole freakin NFL media establishment - tell me this - are you looking forward to the third Brett Favre farewell tour? I said it in another thread - this guy has had more farewell tours then Cher and Streisand put together - I'm sure we will be treated to a fourth one in 2008 also....

fansince'76
02-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Try the whole freakin NFL media establishment - tell me this - are you looking forward to the third Brett Favre farewell tour?

The minute he passes Marino's total yardage and TD pass records, Favre's history - I guarantee it.

Stillers43
02-06-2007, 04:32 PM
The QB play this year was just average! Manning and Brady are just great! They will always be considered in the top ten list of best ever. Brees had a wonderful year. Other than that, the rest had good games here and there. No consistency! Therefore, I would rank someone like Brett Farve who has a greater body of work.

Atlanta Dan
02-06-2007, 04:50 PM
As stated above, if you base it on last season Ben is, at best, at the bottom of the top 10 QBs. If you assume last season was an aberration and go on his three seasons then he should get to the middle of the top 10. Based on the fact that Ben was still forcing passes into coverage in the last game of the season he needs to not only fully recover from his injuries but break some bad habits that have been caused by either the injuries or terrible pass blocking.

Romo ahead of Ben is a joke - Romo played well for about a month and then either got careless or the league had enough fiilm to figure him out. Given his short time in the league, Romo gets less benefit of the doubt with me for his drop off in performance.

As for the high ranking of Palmer, I still do not get it - sportswriters have been drooling over this guy since he was drafted. If you are talking about someone who can make all the throws in the skeleton drills or looks like a pro QB then Palmer is your man. But with all of his fumbles when being hit and sketchy pocket presence this year I think Palmer has at least as much need to fully recover from the psychological carryover from his injuries as Ben does.

SteelerFanInTX210
02-06-2007, 07:13 PM
I would say that the ranking is pretty accurate. If you think of it in terms of "can he carry the team if the running game is shut down." I think Ben is going to be great in those terms eventually but now, he is just good at being efficient. His first two years he threw the ball 15-20 times a game and he had a very high rating. That was being efficient. This year he had the opportunity to air the ball out alot and we seen how that went if he was better than the top 10 that he ranked, then we would have made the playoffs with bye and homefield with as much as Ben threw the rock. IMO the rankings are not far from accurate.

PalmerSteel
02-06-2007, 07:30 PM
top 5 QB's dont throw as many INT's as he did and as bad as some of them looked. he has to prove that when the running game is clamped up and he has a blitz coming at him that he will read it quick enough and do the right thing. obviously it is more than just him that needs to improve from last year. the critics are going to be there when you have a year like he did, including the superbowl until you prove otherwise, in which he will this year i truly believe (if no more injuries - knock on wood).

TackleMeBen
02-06-2007, 07:38 PM
:flap: top 5 QB's dont throw as many INT's as he did and as bad as some of them looked. he has to prove that when the running game is clamped up and he has a blitz coming at him that he will read it quick enough and do the right thing. obviously it is more than just him that needs to improve from last year. the critics are going to be there when you have a year like he did, including the superbowl until you prove otherwise, in which he will this year i truly believe (if no more injuries - knock on wood).

dont you mean knock on pavement...:flap: ok sorry. i had to say that.

i think he will want to prove all the critics wrong and will have an excellent year this coming season. i still believe he came back too soon from the injuries he suffered.

as for romo being ranked higher, i dont know about that. what are we basing that on the few games he played. we all know if romo had kept his mind on the game and not carrie underwood he wouldnt have fumble that snap for the field goal.

SteelCityMan786
02-06-2007, 07:45 PM

What Crack is he smoking? BIG BEN is a top 5 QB. No I'm not biased, but he's been to the Super Bowl and Won it. He's been ranked below SEVEN QUARTERBACKS who have either A. Never won the Super Bowl or B. Never Played in the Super Bowl. Peter should be revoked of his credentials.

7Ben7
02-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Wow.

They put Rivers and Romo ahead of him. Clearly these people don't know what their talking about.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-06-2007, 07:59 PM
My list:

1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Roethlisberger
4. Palmer
5. Brees
6. McNabb
7. Hasselbeck
8. Green (Trent)
9. Favre
10. Rivers
11. Pennington

4n2t0
02-06-2007, 08:03 PM
My list:

1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Roethlisberger
4. Palmer
5. Brees
6. McNabb
7. Hasselbeck
8. Green (Trent)
9. Favre
10. Rivers
11. Pennington

Ben a top 3 QB in the NFL? I don't think so, in fact no freaking way!

Anthony_Smith27
02-06-2007, 08:09 PM
What Crack is he smoking? BIG BEN is a top 5 QB. No I'm not biased, but he's been to the Super Bowl and Won it. He's been ranked below SEVEN QUARTERBACKS who have either A. Never won the Super Bowl or B. Never Played in the Super Bowl. Peter should be revoked of his credentials.

a superbowl should never define a career, yeah it's nice to have won one, but a lot of qb's have won them but wouldn't even be top 50. Trent Dilfer for example. i'm not saying ben is bad, cause i like him a lot, and he still has a lot of potential, but when we won the super bowl ben was just along for the ride, his play almost cost us the superbowl. thank god for some great play calling by whiz and a big run by willie or ben would've cost us the game. he's top 10 not top 5

ChronoCross
02-06-2007, 09:02 PM
When I seen romo on the list I stopped. Did not even go further then that. That is a joke list. Of course Bens play this year has not been the best and the 23 INTs do not help but you can take a few of them INTs away and actually say they were not all his fault. But Ben only showed glimpse of his old self late this season. Romo who if played all 16 games would of by far thrown upwards of 24 are more INTs, Romo Fumbalo would of also had a ton of fumbles. His fumble itis reminds me of Vic loose hands mcgraw.

No QB in the History of the NFL has had his first 2 season like Big Ben. Ben has never been ranked under the top 4 to me and its kinda hard to believe some idiot would put romo ahead of him even tho he had a bad season provoked by not being healthy and what he went thru in the offseason.

This irks me, I do not know about you all, but Romo is no wear near the QB of Ben yet. Just wait till this upcoming season with a healthy Big Ben on a rebound and a fixed offensive line. I hope they eat there words. But to me Big Ben is top 4 on any list. And he will only get better.

steelerbackr4life
02-06-2007, 09:15 PM
How can you justify having McNabb on that list ? he missed a great portion of the season and before he went down his team was in a free fall. That list was a waste of keystrokes.:computer:

SteelerFanInTX210
02-06-2007, 10:57 PM
My list:

1. Brady
2. Manning
3. Roethlisberger
4. Palmer
5. Brees
6. McNabb
7. Hasselbeck
8. Green (Trent)
9. Favre
10. Rivers
11. Pennington

Come on!!! Lets get realistic here. Ben is not top three. Come on.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-07-2007, 12:00 AM
Look at his W-L record.He gives his team the ebst chance to win when healthy.

He may not throw the prettiest spirals,he probally won't break Manning's season TD record,he probally won't throw for 5,000+ yards in a season.

Last year was due to the motorcycle accident,apedectomy,a concussion, and an o-line that wouldn't give him time for a 5-step drop most of the season.

I rank him above Palmer because Palmer has only been to the playoffs once.Ben has played in two AFCC Games,1 Super Bowl and won it.

If you wanna call me biased,I don't give a crap.Next season when Ben is in the Pro Bowl and getting fitted for his second Super Bowl ring...he'll be ranked as a top 3 QB by most.So yeah,I am drinking the kool-aide...and it tastes oh so good.

Hines0wnz
02-07-2007, 02:59 AM
Putting Romo in there instantly discredits that list in my opinion.

Mosca
02-07-2007, 04:18 PM
If Ben doesn't get his reportedly poor work ethic together, he will drop further. Talent gets you to the top ten; work gets you to the top. This guy needs to hit the film and the charts.

Tom

Big D
02-07-2007, 04:27 PM
If Ben doesn't get his reportedly poor work ethic together, he will drop further. Talent gets you to the top ten; work gets you to the top. This guy needs to hit the film and the charts.

Tom

You also hear about bens piss poor work ethic. have any coaches came out and confirmed this or is it all hear say. I think ben is out of the top ten. He needs to bounce back next year in order to be put any higher in my book.

4n2t0
02-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Look at his W-L record.He gives his team the ebst chance to win when healthy.

He may not throw the prettiest spirals,he probally won't break Manning's season TD record,he probally won't throw for 5,000+ yards in a season.

Last year was due to the motorcycle accident,apedectomy,a concussion, and an o-line that wouldn't give him time for a 5-step drop most of the season.

I rank him above Palmer because Palmer has only been to the playoffs once.Ben has played in two AFCC Games,1 Super Bowl and won it.

If you wanna call me biased,I don't give a crap.Next season when Ben is in the Pro Bowl and getting fitted for his second Super Bowl ring...he'll be ranked as a top 3 QB by most.So yeah,I am drinking the kool-aide...and it tastes oh so good.

You're drinking something, I'm just not sure it's Kool-aid!

Great game manager? Yes. (Despite last years performance) Great QB? I don't think that's the case.

We'll have to wait and see I guess...

P.S. McNabb is awesome, I would take him as my QB anyday. He should be ranked higher on both lists.

alittlejazzbird
02-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Actually, I'd like to know about legitimate first-hand sources of opinions on Ben's work ethic as well. I went back and did a little research, and found quotes from NFL scouts and Ben's college coaches and teammates who positively raved about his work ethic and personal character. I know he won a Super Bowl at an unheard-of young age for a quarterback, but I find it hard to see how he would so suddenly drop every bit of the discipline he had to have in college and become lazy and unwilling to work. Anytime I hear that "sources" say that Ben's teammates privately complain about his work ethic, or some other nonsense, I take it with a grain of salt, ya know?

I guess we could debate these rankings forever. They're only Peter King's opinion, and he's certainly entitled (though I'm willing to bet he wanted to stir up argument). Since I'm the one who started this thread, I guess I'll give my $.02 as well. Based on Ben's collective body of work, I'd put him somewhere around 6, 7, or 8 on that list. He definitely regressed last season, but there is no way in any universe that Tony Romo is a better quarterback than Ben. Just no way.

And I do think, by the way, that Ben will absolutely take off for the stratosphere in terms of level of play, if not this coming season (new coaches could have either a positive or negative effect), then the 2008-2009 season. Barring any bizarre accidents or injuries, of course...

Big D
02-07-2007, 04:53 PM
I think peter king has zero crediability. I think he is a bias ass. Most of us on this board know more about football then peter king.

tony hipchest
02-07-2007, 06:43 PM
I think peter king has zero crediability. I think he is a bias ass. Most of us on this board know more about football then peter king.i think the only people who get better insider information than peter king are gil brandt and pat kirwan.

i find it odd king has the steelers ranked outside of his weekly "fine 15" (below teams such as the rams, denver, and especially carolina), and odd king has ben ranked #11 despite his injuries. however bens piss poor performance against the raiders seemed to look more like he didnt bother studying the raiders defense, than lingering effects of a concussion.

what i dont find odd is the new insight he has on the steelers. he is a colleague of jerome bettis and has gotten in good with bill cowher now that he is retired.

i have always heard about bens poor work ethic but never any sources. how could you argue against the results? winning came fairly easy for ben in his 1st 2 years. this is pure speculation on my part but perhaps jerome and cowher have clued king in on some of the goings on behind the scenes. ben and jerome are great friends, so of course king wouldnt throw his source of info "under the bus" so to speak. i think it was king who was central to the story that jerome thought cowher would retire after last year.

the point is, if these "inside sources like and respect king, they will give him nuggets of information off the record that will make him look prescient and further his career as an inside reporter.

Rinkleroot
02-08-2007, 07:41 AM
Peter King is an Idiot, Big Ben is at minimum #5 but I'd place him at #3 behind Manning & Brady.

rich4eagle
02-08-2007, 08:22 AM
I would leave the top five alone and put Rivers sixth and Ben seventh and put Hasselbeck and McNabb and Farve behind them and not even rate Romo in the top 32 yet

Tim
02-08-2007, 09:29 AM
I can only hope King is going on some kind of weird statistics. I mean Marc Bulger? Tony Romo?

Livinginthe past
02-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Marc Bulger is a very good QB.

After last year, he should be ranked above Ben.

NM

Tim
02-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Bulger was alright, good completion percentage, few turnovers, good overall rating, but that was this year on a team that finished .500. If you look at his stats, you could say this was his best year and he still couldn't get more than 8 wins.

Not sure how that puts him at #5. IMO, there shouldn't be any NFC QBs ranked in the top 5, let alone the top 10.

Livinginthe past
02-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Bulger was alright, good completion percentage, few turnovers, good overall rating, but that was this year on a team that finished .500. If you look at his stats, you could say this was his best year and he still couldn't get more than 8 wins.

Not sure how that puts him at #5. IMO, there shouldn't be any NFC QBs ranked in the top 5, let alone the top 10.

His WR corps, while talented, is getting old now - Tory Holt was a great receiver has perhaps dropped a level to 'very good' in the last year or so.

The main problem was his run defense which would probably have been ranked dead last in any other year - that honor went to the Colts this year and they had to break records to get it.

Its very tough to win games when you are leaking so much yardage on the ground - especially when your offense isnt hugely talented.

Having said that, I expect Steven Jackson to have a huge year in 2007/8.

NM

Mosca
02-08-2007, 12:44 PM
I said "reportedly" because it's still hearsay. But it's also not the kind of thing that someone is going to come right out and call the guy on, either.

But if BR had a really strong work ethic and all the other QBs had a stronger one, then what?

I don't know. Results tell the story. If we win, I don't care if he sleeps through the films.

For me, I give the guy a pass on 2006. I don't question his dedication to the team or how badly he wants to play and how badly he wants to win. If there's a lapse in his routine, it's based on not knowing that there is more he can do. I know that if there's a better way, Coach Tomlin will show him what it is.

Tom

Dragon
02-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Ben IMHO should be above both Romo and Hasselbeck.

The only part of that article I agree on is Peter Kings top 3 Manning, Brady and Brees.

axlbundy
02-08-2007, 03:22 PM
I was with Peter King when he made this list and I can tell you that 10 minutes before he wrote the article we smoked a fat blunt of Maui Wowie. I hope that explains to everyone why Ben is number 11.

Max Power
02-08-2007, 03:35 PM
It's alright. let's stay under the Radar. We don't care what the media says.

SteelersWyo
02-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Let's recap: 3 years in the league. Very impressive win/loss record. 2 AFC Championship appearances. 1 Super Bowl win. As always King opens his mouth and crap comes out.

iloveben7
02-08-2007, 04:11 PM
I think Ben should be in the TOP 5 definately ahead of Romo because of his success so fast with 2 AFC Championship games and 1 Superbowl win!!

FAB802
02-08-2007, 04:20 PM
He stunk out loud most of last year. He'll resume his place in the top five or so after this year.

Elvis
02-08-2007, 04:23 PM
It's alright. let's stay under the Radar. We don't care what the media says.
:tt02: I agree Max.. As far as some of these guys being ranked ahead of Ben, I dont care.. He has been in the league what 3 years now? He has 2 AFC Tittle appearances and a Super Bowl Tittle to his name. Peyton has just won his first. Ben may not be the best pure passer out there but he wins games for his teams. I know that he had a bad year this year, but he had a heck of an offseason as well.. I think that Ben will again fool all his doubters. We were 5-2 in the final half of the season and that is not bad at all for a team that turned the ball over atleast 3 times a game it seems like.:wave: