PDA

View Full Version : deshea townsend

terribletowel67
02-08-2007, 09:44 AM
just wondering how all you in steeler nation feel about townsend, i feel he is washed up he was beat many times last year, had alot of interference calls against him, i feel we will draft another corner. to compliment taylor and mcfadden.

Infamix
02-08-2007, 09:51 AM
He is getting pretty old. He's an underrated tackler for a cornerback, but he gets beat alot due to his height and age. He made some good plays this year...idk. I'd like to hear from some other members on this one.

sculleyd
02-08-2007, 10:32 AM
I thought DeShea played all right last year. It was telling that he kept his job as Taylor was demoted, and rightfully so I felt. I think that part of the reason that Darren Perry wasn't kept on staff was that Taylor regressed under his watch last year. If Taylor is able to come back strong this year, he and McFadden make a quality pair of starting corners, and Townsend has enough to be a contributer at nickel.

I do think corner, like OL, is a position you should spent at least one draft pick on almost every year. But I don't think it needs to be a high pick this year -- one of the tests of Mike Tomlin and his new staff will be to get our current guys back up to a high level in coverage.

Stlrs4Life
02-08-2007, 11:51 AM
I think Deshea did OK last season, nothing spectacular. He played injured a couple of times.

LeXX75
02-08-2007, 12:11 PM
he is a solid nickel or dime db.........nothing more at this point.....

steelcity58
02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
Maybe you guys actually in Pittsburgh know something I don't, but I don't know why Ike was demoted from his starting position. The games I saw him play in, he played well, didn't get beat deep or have any glaring bad plays.

Townsend?

He's been pretty solid imo.

The Steelers have had better CB's but they have also had worse.

Much worse.

ajs8207
02-08-2007, 01:33 PM
I think hes solid, but if hes starting next year, we have a problem.

OneForTheToe
02-08-2007, 02:07 PM
he is a solid nickel or dime db.........nothing more at this point.....

Yes, and as a solid backup if someone gets hurt, I think he is valuable to keep around. Also, I think DeShea's work ethic is good for his younger counterparts. Taylor and Mcfadden have to know that if they don't step it up in training camp, DeShea could work himself right back into the starting lineup again.

Anthony_Smith27
02-08-2007, 02:12 PM
i think he's good for depth and as a backup, i don't want him starting, but he should still be on the team and help mentor the younger db's

fansince'76
02-08-2007, 02:13 PM
The Steelers have had better CB's but they have also had worse. Much worse.

I agree - whenever I find myself becoming frustrated by the current secondary's play, I think back a few years to Charred Scott and DeWayne Washington....

Atlanta Dan
02-08-2007, 02:44 PM
Maybe you guys actually in Pittsburgh know something I don't, but I don't know why Ike was demoted from his starting position. The games I saw him play in, he played well, didn't get beat deep or have any glaring bad plays.

Townsend?

He's been pretty solid imo.

The Steelers have had better CB's but they have also had worse.

Much worse.

Taylor was beat deep several times in the Denver game, which sent him to the bench, after Cowher had screamed at him on several occassions in other games for giving up 1st downs by playing too far off the receiver on third down (Jax game is one screamfest I recall).

I get the impression Taylor was simply regarded by Cowher as not giving the mental and physical effort expected of someone with his contract, which resulted in him getting a seat on the bench.

Towards the end of the season Taylor indicated he thought he was being scapegoated. Since Porter, Simmons and Starks had rotten seasons but were not benched like Taylor, IMHO Taylor must have done something to really tick off Cowher.

stlrtruck
02-08-2007, 03:08 PM
I think Deshea may be that guy who you put back as FS (either starter or backup) and let him have free reign over the middle. It would make up for his slowing speed and he could come up and "Jack Up" the receiver!

However, with some of the talent we have on the team, it may be time to cut the loses and move on with a mid-round selection in the draft to fill his spot. Someone who has the hunger, someone like Anthony Smith who will knock someone's head off!!

axlbundy
02-08-2007, 03:10 PM
I was getting down on Deshea a little myself last year, until Ike started having some bad games. Now I feel like if we can keep Deshea for a cheap price he could provide some excellent veteran leadership for Ike and McFadden

Max Power
02-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Depth is the key to this one. Townsend has been here long enough. If he is left to be the starter, we will be in trouble. I just don't see it being that way.

Stater136
02-08-2007, 03:48 PM

Seems to me that Ike is pretty good at covering a the receiver, just not at reacting to the ball. It's rare that he's actually out of position, but many of the plays are made simply because he can't find the ball while it's in the air and make a play on it.

Elvis
02-08-2007, 04:27 PM
:tt02: If Ike could just catch the stupid ball he would be ok... for as much money as he is making he should buy some NEW HANDS:jawdrop: :helmet:

polamalufan43
02-08-2007, 05:37 PM
I think he will be fine, I mean the whole team was off last year. I think he will do better with time.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

steeler614
02-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Townsend is washed up and got beat too many times, McFadden should be the starter. he is an upgrade, however Townsend would be a good backup, he has technique but is just too old and slow to be a starter anymore. I hope that Coke makes a full recovery as he is a good backup as well. as for Darren Perry good riddance, neither Coke or Taylor has developed with Perry as DB coach. we keep all 4 Taylor and McFadden as starters and Coke and Townsend as backups, as well as Jovon Johnson we should be set at CB and wouldn't need to draft one that is if Coke recovers.

SteelCzar76
02-10-2007, 01:09 PM
It may be time to cut the loses and move on with a mid-round selection in the draft to fill his spot. Someone who has the hunger, someone like Anthony Smith who will knock someone's head off!!

Cb Tarell Brown (Texas) 6'0 200lbs

Steeldude
02-10-2007, 02:24 PM
if they are going to allow porter to remain a starter then they should allow townsend too.

Studa
02-11-2007, 01:22 PM
IMO.....I think deshea played okay, slipped a couple times but they all do. I also don't think Taylor played that bad, when he was beat, the ball was usually just a hand away, he wasn't getting killed out there......

slashsteel
02-11-2007, 02:52 PM
I saw Ike Friday, he is training at my work's sports complex, working on his strength and speed. He had a meeting with Tomlin and told me that went well. So I know he is focused on improving. Special trainers carry a price tag. I told him that I thought it would be BMAC and him starting side by side. With Deshea in the dime. This is the way I see it playing out. As I thought Ike got the shaft when much of the team wasn't playing well.

02-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Townsend is what he is. He has never had the prototypical size and speed one desires in a starting corner. He does however, make up for that by being technically sound (in coverage, and tackling), and he he plays the ball well in space. He does tend to get beat by big physical receivers, especially in the redzone. I agree he would be best suited for nickle back, but Taylor and McFadden have to step up and lay claim to the starting spots. If Townsend starts next year, it is because he outplayed either one or both of the the other two. Either way, Townsend just signed a cap friendly contract extension last offseason and will not being going anywhere else in the near future. One last thing about Townsend, he is an underrated blitzer from the corner. He is very good at disguising his blitzes and rarely misses the QB once he gets into the backfield. Just ask Matt Hasselback.

steeler614
02-12-2007, 12:19 PM
on second thought Townsend is nearing the end of his career and despite what I said about not drafting a CB I was checking out Fred Bennett from SC, 6'1 198 lbs thinking maybe we should snag this guy after getting an OLB/DE and OG, we need at least 4 guys that could play and with Townsend aging and it being unknown if Coke will ever recover then drafting this guy may not be a bad idea.

Mosca
02-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Just say "no" to coke.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Ikes problem is his hands... and not catching enough passes that he gets both hands on.
Desheas problem is that he tends to "bite" on double moves and play action...and seems to be in "recovery" mode all the time
Ike led the league in passes defended one year ago...he HAS the tools to be an exceptional CB...Deshea is a good utility Cb..and as someone mentioned was always probably more fit to be a nickel back.

geo1963
02-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Deshea is just too small and too slow to be considered a starting corner. Although I for one think that the major problem with our secondary this year was a poor pass rush, Deshea was consistently getting beat by having very slow breaks on the ball and just being physically out muscled for the ball. Time to move on

aussiesteelers
02-14-2007, 05:39 AM
totally agree, deshea is just not able to physically perform anymore. desheas role is to be the nickel db and mentoring Ike and mcfadden.

sheba
02-15-2007, 07:53 AM
a coach has to do wat a coach got to do

coachspeak33
02-15-2007, 08:18 AM
I like him....I just dont like the price tag he carries with him right now....too expensive to be a nickleback....he needs to take a pay cut to stay on the roster iin my opinion.

JDB in N.C.
02-15-2007, 08:54 AM
totally agree, deshea is just not able to physically perform anymore. desheas role is to be the nickel db and mentoring Ike and mcfadden.

I totally agree with you if Townsend takes a paycut.

Ike is still questionable in my book. I used to be really impressed with him, but now he has to EARN his starting position back. Denver really scorched him last year.

I like Mcfadden and I would like to see Anthony Smith get more involved this year.