PDA

View Full Version : Sportsline Writer Calls Rooneys "Clowns"???

tony hipchest
02-09-2007, 08:45 AM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/9983605

the rest of the article is where he lumps the steelers coaching fiasco in with the dolphins, raiders, and cowboys. appearantly this guy thinks the steelers ownership is amongst the dumbest in the league. what a hack.

Who keeps this carousel in motion? Clowns, of course

....Al Davis stepped in dog crap years ago and is still leaving a trail, but it could be worse. He could be the guy running the Steelers.

The Steelers, who had it easy for decades thanks to Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher, had to do some heavy lifting this offseason after Cowher resigned ... but instead got choked beneath the bench-press bar.

Pittsburgh had two quality candidates on staff in Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt, but dragged out the process long enough to lose Whisenhunt to the Arizona Cardinals, become infatuated with unlovable Chan Gailey, and emasculate Grimm.

After coming to their senses and jettisoning Gailey back to Georgia Tech, the Steelers narrowed their search to Grimm, Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera and Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin.

From there Pittsburgh got down to Grimm and Tomlin, and let Grimm believe the job was his. Grimm told his family. Someone told a reporter from a Pittsburgh newspaper. The story got out: Grimm was about to be hired.

Oops.

Tomlin got hired. Grimm got destroyed. The Steelers are the only NFL team this offseason to make a minority their new coach, and whatever goodwill that might have earned was lost in the mishandling of Russ Grimm.

But it could be worse. The Steelers could be the Dolphins.

the great thing about sportsline articles is the message boards beneath them where you can totally blast these hacks and read other people blast them.

Mosca
02-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Not worth responding to. Time will out. The flip side to the story is that Tomlin very possibly was SO impressive in his interview that they HAD TO pick him, that to pass on him would have been the travesty.

Grimm and Whisenhut might be great, but they also might be Wade Phillips, Norv Turner, Dennis Green, whoever. Competent middle managers. With Tomlin we have a chance to have another Chuck Noll, another Bill Walsh, another Don Shula. I'll take the guy with the shot at greatness, thank you.

Tom

RoethlisBURGHer
02-09-2007, 09:41 AM
This guy probally thought the Steelers made a mistake when Cowher was hired.

memphissteelergirl
02-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Doyel=ill-informed dunce.

That is all.

klick81
02-09-2007, 10:51 AM
I wish the season would start already. I just want to see Tomlin shut all these f'in losers up.

SteelerFanInCA
02-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Doyel is a total douche bag. Even then that's insulting to the douche bag.

I'm sure the Rooney's have a little more expertise in the area of selecting a coach than this uninformed dumb ass who sits behind his keyboard yapping his pie hole. :dang: :dang: :dang:

SteelerFanInCA
02-09-2007, 10:56 AM
I wish the season would start already. I just want to see Tomlin shut all these f'in losers up.

Yeah these will be the same dick heads that said they loved him all along. Man I hate the media.

slashsteel
02-09-2007, 10:58 AM
I wish I had a boot spike for every idiotic column, I read dissing our Steelers. As in the case of many, this sports writer needs a swift kick in the ass.:tt02:

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Before I linked to the story I figured it was Gregg Doyel who wrote it. When I saw it was Doyel I did not waste my time reading it.

Before becoming Sportline's "national correspondent" Doyel was the college basketball writer for Sportsline. Before that he wrote for the Charlotte Observer and was pretty much despised by both Duke and UNC fans (not something that is easy to accomplish) as a cheap shot artist.

He wrote the same sort of trash on a regular basis as the college basketball writer, specializing in taking cheap shots at Duke and Coach K after K blew him off and failed to cooperate when Doyel tried to make some money off the Duke program by writing a book about it.

Word of warning - if you reply to Doyel and use your full name he has been known to Google the name and print personal details such as that person's employer in a response that is published in his recurring "Hate Mail" column.

Doyel is a troll - ignore him

TDSteeler
02-09-2007, 11:55 AM
However in the article he does say that the Raiders and the Cowboys are the worst and for that I will give you a :banana:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-09-2007, 12:13 PM
...I had a feeling this was going to be written by Doyel as well...but lets give him credit...what he lacks in integrity (by not checking his facts)..he more that makes up for a vivid pretty shade of yellow journalism.:dang: