PDA

View Full Version : The first mission in '07 is...

Edman
02-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Figure out a way to beat those %&@!* Ratbirds!

I can understand losing by single digits and close games, but the Steelers just let the Ravens beat them up in everyway possible. It's like they didn't even show up.

They embarrassed the Steelers twice. And they must pay! If this team is even going to consider XLII in '08, you gotta take down your division bully first. And that's the Ravens. Then take care of everyone else in the AFC!

Just my opinion of course. That's all.

Make it happen, Tomlin! Let's have a great offseason! Go Steelers! :tt02:

caseydog
02-09-2007, 12:43 PM
We so badly need another Bus. That big, strong back with the center of gravity of a bowling ball, who can be counted on to get 3 - 5 yards almost anytime he has the ball.

That set's a quarterback, and an offensive coordinator, free to really do what they want on offense. That is, "We own the clock" football. That's Steeler's football.

Who is the next Bus? I hope we can find him -- this year!

Edman
02-09-2007, 03:29 PM
We so badly need another Bus. That big, strong back with the center of gravity of a bowling ball, who can be counted on to get 3 - 5 yards almost anytime he has the ball.

That set's a quarterback, and an offensive coordinator, free to really do what they want on offense. That is, "We own the clock" football. That's Steeler's football.

That I agree with to an extent. But we don't need the second coming of the Bus. Just a big power guy to pound the rock and run over people. Someone to punch those physical D's Like the Ravens and Jags in the mouth. Let's face it, Fast Willie can't do it all by himself. I admire his determination, but Power football isn't his style. His greatest threat is his speed. Use him in the flat. Use him for screen passes. Run him on the outside instead of the middle. Leave the middle for the big guy. If the Steelers keep running him like he's the Bus, he won't be Fast Willie for long.

OneForTheToe
02-09-2007, 03:51 PM
So Willie runs for 2,500 yards over two seasons with a underperforming O'line, is one of the few players on the team to improve in 2006, and you guys think our big problem is not having a big back?

As far as his health is concerned, Willie has stayed healthier over the past two seasons than Jerome did over any two year time in his career.

Poor Willie, could rush for 2000 yards in a season and there would still be some who wouldn't think he is a "Steeler's RB."

Dynasty
02-09-2007, 04:35 PM
My opinion on Willie is this:

I love the guy, and I think he is destined to continue succeeding. And I really could care less if he is the traditional, pound it, "steelers-type" of back. In today's NFL, a team doesn't need so much of a bruiser any more. The massive offensive lines, and improved blockig schemes make it somewhat unnecessary for a running back to be able to shove it down the opponent's throat. Speed is the name of the game in today's NFL, and the Steelers will need to (and already have somewhat) adapt to this new style of play.

Edman
02-09-2007, 05:03 PM
So Willie runs for 2,500 yards over two seasons with a underperforming O'line, is one of the few players on the team to improve in 2006, and you guys think our big problem is not having a big back?

As far as his health is concerned, Willie has stayed healthier over the past two seasons than Jerome did over any two year time in his career.

Poor Willie, could rush for 2000 yards in a season and there would still be some who wouldn't think he is a "Steeler's RB."

I am not saying Willie is not a "Steeler RB". I am well aware that can run between the tackles. But supposed he does get injured? Who's left? Willie is valuable to the offense. Look at the Colts, They had Rhodes and Addai. Look at us back in '05. We had Bus and Parker. Look back at the '95 Steelers. We had Pegram and Bam. What do all of these teams have in common? Each of them played in/won a Super Bowl.

I'm not saying he's no good. He's a wonderful RB and I'm glad we have him. All I'm saying is get him some help and utilize him to his strengths, you know? His breakaway speed can change a game. Seriously, where would you think speed would be effective? On the outside in the open or on the inside where space is limited? Give Willie any kind of space and he'll threaten to take 20 yards in an instant. He's that dangerous. And behind that inconsistent group we call an O-line, I'm suprised he managed to put up 1400+ yards. That's well deserving of respect.

The whole tire 'em out with Parker and Pound 'Em with Bettis scheme worked like a charm, didn't it? We won the Super Bowl that year.

Borski
02-09-2007, 05:16 PM
That I agree with to an extent. But we don't need the second coming of the Bus. Just a big power guy to pound the rock and run over people. Someone to punch those physical D's Like the Ravens and Jags in the mouth. Let's face it, Fast Willie can't do it all by himself. I admire his determination, but Power football isn't his style. His greatest threat is his speed. Use him in the flat. Use him for screen passes. Run him on the outside instead of the middle. Leave the middle for the big guy. If the Steelers keep running him like he's the Bus, he won't be Fast Willie for long.

I don't disagree with getting a powerback, but Willie can run up the middle and out side and do screens.

we just need a good powerback to come in after willie gets big gains so he can take a breather and late in the 4th for fresh legs

Stlrs4Life
02-09-2007, 05:22 PM

Exactly. Now I still would like to have another back. I wouldn't mind taking Bush out of the draft.

SuckItUp
02-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Although a big back would help with clock control and short yardage situations, that's certainly not the cure all against the Ravens. It certainly won't stop Steve McNair from lighting up the secondary whenever he is so inclined. Eventually he'll have to step on the field.

What's more is the obvious reality that with an entirely new group of coaches, and a head coach from the NFC, you can be sure that the Steeler's biggest obstacle going into next year will be themselves.

My question is whether or not it will take Tomlin as long to win a SuperBowl as it did Cower. Don't be surprised if we're looking at another 15 year drought here.

So really then, the first mission for '07 should be that the coaches build a respectable foundation and strength that the players can identify themselves with.

OneForTheToe
02-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I am not saying Willie is not a "Steeler RB". I am well aware that can run between the tackles. But supposed he does get injured? Who's left? Willie is valuable to the offense. Look at the Colts, They had Rhodes and Addai. Look at us back in '05. We had Bus and Parker. Look back at the '95 Steelers. We had Pegram and Bam. What do all of these teams have in common? Each of them played in/won a Super Bowl.

I'm not saying he's no good. He's a wonderful RB and I'm glad we have him. All I'm saying is get him some help and utilize him to his strengths, you know? His breakaway speed can change a game. Seriously, where would you think speed would be effective? On the outside in the open or on the inside where space is limited? Give Willie any kind of space and he'll threaten to take 20 yards in an instant. He's that dangerous. And behind that inconsistent group we call an O-line, I'm suprised he managed to put up 1400+ yards. That's well deserving of respect.

The whole tire 'em out with Parker and Pound 'Em with Bettis scheme worked like a charm, didn't it? We won the Super Bowl that year.

I have no problem with drafting another RB (or with those that advocate such) I just don't think it should be high on the need list. We gots some bigger problems.

Edman
02-09-2007, 09:07 PM
I have no problem with drafting another RB (or with those that advocate such) I just don't think it should be high on the need list. We gots some bigger problems.

True that. O-Line, and our Aging LB's are much bigger problems. I'm not the one who brought up the RB situation, though.

Elvis
02-10-2007, 05:15 PM
:wave: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
The Steelers were so manhandled both times vs the Ravens.. they were so much more physical than us and that in its self is very unusual. I hate to say it,but we need to be overhauled on defense in the secondary other than Troy there is nobody that should feel comfortable with the way the played this past season. And Troy was hurt alot this year so he must prove that he is ok as well..:helmet: :wave:

LMAO
02-10-2007, 05:19 PM
:jawdrop:

NV STEELERS 723
02-11-2007, 12:22 AM
What pissed me off the most about last season is the way we got pushed around in our house! ... I reviewed the STEELERS 92 season video ( BC's Ist year ) ,,,, and he had the guys gathered around and he said " Gentlemen, we do not lose in this stadium !!!!!! we do not lose here ""

We need to get that back.... we do not lose at home!!!!

Steel Pit
02-12-2007, 03:12 AM

WOW! :bouncy: I must have been urinating or something when Bettis was consistently carrying the ball for 3 to 5 yards a carry. If we get a RB "that can be counted on to get 3 - 5 yards almost anytime he has the ball", then I'll assure you that he won't be "the next", he'll definitely be "the first".:sofunny:

Steeldude
02-12-2007, 07:34 AM
i think the steelers' O-line needs to play better against the tougher defenses. the C, RG and RT are big question marks for 2007.

Petesburgh66
02-12-2007, 10:12 PM
It didn't matter who you had a RB against the Ravens. The OL didn't stop the pressure up the middle from the Ravens D. That is what needs to be fixed.