PDA

View Full Version : New Punter

Fullback&Punter
02-09-2007, 12:49 PM
I know this is a a boring topic to most. But I think it is time we find ourselves a new punter. I don't think Barr is the answer. I like that kid out of Baylor, I forget his name. Looked pretty good at Senior Bowl I heard. Might be worth a LATE pick in my opinion. Maybe 5th round. Anyone else have any thoughts. The punting game is upsetting to me!!!!!!

:cheers:

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-09-2007, 01:28 PM
You are talking about Daniel Sepulveda 6'3 punter from Baylor who started out as a linebacker...he is ranked as the best punter coming out this year..recieved the Ray Guy award twice in three years..and most boards show him going in the late 4th round or early fifth round.
Check out the draft thread "4 round draft" and you will see that alot of people are with you on drafting this kid...(not a boring topic at all!!)

slashsteel
02-09-2007, 02:24 PM
I can deal with drafting a punter in the 5th. But not sure our FO would agree. We usually go the free agent or undrafted route.

ajs8207
02-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Gardocki better not be on this team next September

prodrivewrx2nv
02-09-2007, 04:58 PM
whats wrong with gardocki?

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2007, 05:00 PM
whats wrong with gardocki?

He's old and his distance is showing it. In all right Barr should have been our punter this past season. From what I saw in Latrobe and during preseason he looked like and was the better punter.

Gardocki is gone. There is a reason why they signed Barr (again) this past January.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=14331&highlight=Barr

prodrivewrx2nv
02-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Understandable then.....

Stlrs4Life
02-09-2007, 05:28 PM
I can deal with drafting a punter in the 5th. But not sure our FO would agree. We usually go the free agent or undrafted route.

I agree. If noot then I say Barr is ok. He was pretty good in pre season.

Fullback&Punter
02-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Well, however they do it I hope the punting game improves. I might not be remembering right but I thought Barr just had a big leg and no touch. Am I right or am I remembering wrong. I remember not being impressed with him.

:tt02:

jjpro11
02-10-2007, 03:36 AM
i think barr would do just fine.. he was booming em in preseason. im surprised no other team picked up barr. but it could also be a bit of luck that little to no teams were looking for a new punter.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-10-2007, 07:43 AM
There is no comparing Barr and Sepulveda...I would love to have Sepulveda on our team..but again ..I dont know what Tomlin's philosophy is....so have to believe Barr will be starting this year

sheba
02-10-2007, 08:22 AM
u people r crazy to get red of chris

HometownGal
02-10-2007, 08:35 AM
While I agree that Gardocki did not punt well this past season, the team as a whole had their issues for most of the year. Gardocki had a pretty good season in 2005, as did the rest of the team, obviously. :smile: I'm not saying not to grab another punter if there is a better choice available either via FA or the draft, but I'm not going to throw stones at the guy for having one less than stellar season. I say give him a shot in camp and if another guy proves he can do a better job, then release Gardocki.

DACEB
02-10-2007, 12:46 PM
When you play the style of football the Steelers play, and there is IMO no signs of coach Tomlin changing that style, field position plays an important role. I don't believe you can understate the punters role. I also agree that Gardocki didn't get the job done. If that kid Sepulveda is as good as advertised then he would play a valuable role in our ST's and for our team overall. Picture our defense with the opponent pinned against their endzone routinely.

tony hipchest
02-10-2007, 12:50 PM
i know the rooneys would probably go a more affordable route but i wonder which one of josh miller or todd sauerbroid the pats will be cutting?

steelerbackr4life
02-10-2007, 12:52 PM
let them battle it out and whoever gives the D the most oppertunities to t off on the opponent deep in their own territory should get the job.

ChronoCross
02-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Ill miss Gardocki. You could always count on him getting the ball off. But his leg just is not there anymore and I agree with others. We need a kicker who can kick it out of the EndZone, who can punt the ball with some good air time so are punt team can get down there to make the punt returner think about fair catch our move out of the way. Maybe if there is a good kicker left in the 5th are 6th round we might take but I doubt it, we have other needs that are higher priority and we do have Barr. Barr probably will be the new kicker if we do not go FA are UDFA. Its not like Barr is not practicing every year. Barr has been one of the best punters in NFLE each year. We all know how Cowher was, he stuck by players that maybe should of been changed out a year are two earlier in there career. Hopefully Tomlin makes the right choice.

Fullback&Punter
02-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know if Sepulveda ever did kickoffs? Maybe he could punt and do kickoffs. I like Reed but we need a guy who can kick it deeper on kickoffs.

4thN10
02-10-2007, 03:54 PM
I'm very familiar with Michael Barr. Don't worry...he's still is in excellent shape and getting stronger. In addition to his strong legg, he has an excellent touch w/ the ball...he can pooch em' I-20 and can directional kick. Direction kicking is a lost art in today's game. Doc has trouble kicking to the sidelines...in fact one of Barr's main strengths is directional kicking.

Don't waste a draft pick on a punter we (already) got a good one in Mike!!

polamalufan43
02-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Well, the pros of getting rid of Chris is that we would get more CAP room, and some fresh talent. The cons is that Chris was usually reliable, considering that he has never had a punt blocked, which is something to be proud of. Honestly, i think I'll be waiting til training camp to see what kind of talent we have at that position.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

Elvis
02-10-2007, 04:52 PM
:tt02: Gardocki and Staley should hold hands as they leave the Steelers facility..:toofunny: :jawdrop: :wave:

Ward86MVP
02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
It may be about time to move on from Gardocki. He's solid, but not exceptional and I'm sure the Steelers could find an improvement through the draft or through free agency. Sepulveda would be a nice pickup in the 5th round or so. The front office has been good at identifying needs and addressing them in the draft, whatever the position. Teams that ignore any position are teams that do not win championships.

aussiesteelers
02-14-2007, 12:53 AM
It's simple. Let Gardocki go, he just doesn't give us good field positon. IMO tomlin should lure an australian with a lot of money. We are born punting an oval ball and many of us can punt 50-60 yard with extreme accuracy and all can pooch punt really well. just look at McBriar in Dallas and Graham with the Jets as well as Darren Bennett.

Serbia_Steeler
02-20-2007, 02:42 PM
I belive that Gardocki is gone this offseason.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Does anyone know if Sepulveda ever did kickoffs? Maybe he could punt and do kickoffs. I like Reed but we need a guy who can kick it deeper on kickoffs.

It wouldnt break my heart to get a new punter and kicker

dunkuntou
02-21-2007, 05:09 PM
Gardocki and Staley should hold hands as they leave the Steelers facility..

Staley already did leave...why do people keep forgetting that

The real reason Gardocki probably won't be back is because of his cap number. He is still a good punter and has never had a powerful leg but its been his directional kicking and his ability to get the punt off. His cap number is just way to high for a punter

Hildebrand
02-21-2007, 06:26 PM
It's time for Gardocki to go, his cap number is too high and hes been in the bottom 5 in the AFC for the past two years. In his defense he does give the fastest 30 yd punt in the NFL. Someone out there has to be able to take him job.

yinzer-inseattle
02-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Well, the pros of getting rid of Chris is that we would get more CAP room, and some fresh talent. The cons is that Chris was usually reliable, considering that he has never had a punt blocked, which is something to be proud of. Honestly, i think I'll be waiting til training camp to see what kind of talent we have at that position.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

I just checked the stats for the 2006 regular season http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/NFL/P-PUNTS/2006/regular?&_1:col_1=9&_1:col_2=9.
There were no blocked punts (some one may want to double check) . IMO paying a premium for an older guy to be in the bottom fifth of the league for punts inside the 20 doesn't make sense when blocks are so rare. I think we could do better with Barr or a rookie/ FA.

abowens
02-26-2007, 06:17 PM
I have no problem with Barr. I know we don't have any glaring holes. But spending a 4th round pick on a punter when we will have glaring needs NEXT year after we lose a ton of free agents? We better be looking way ahead. Sign Barr and use draft picks elsewhere.