PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Intrigued by New Coach Tomlin

alittlejazzbird
02-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, the news just keeps getting better and better.....the wait until training camp seems almost endless right now!!!!!

Steelers intrigued by new coach Tomlin
By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer , The Associated Press

Willie Parker can't wait to play for new Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. Alan Faneca and Troy Polamalu are reserving judgment until they know a bit more about the man replacing Bill Cowher.

The Steelers' four Pro Bowl participants had divergent reactions to Pittsburgh's surprising decision last month to hire Tomlin, a 34-year-old with one season of experience as an NFL coordinator. The Steelers passed over veteran assistants Russ Grimm and Ken Whisenhunt in the process, essentially guaranteeing a major overhaul of last season's champions.

"I wanted Russ to get the job," said Faneca, the Steelers' six-time Pro Bowl guard. "It's a guy we know, and a guy I'm experienced with. I hoped Russ would get that opportunity, but it didn't work out."

Whisenhunt and Grimm quickly left for the Arizona Cardinals, with Grimm serving as Whisenhunt's assistant head coach. Faneca knows the Steelers are unlikely to make another change in his career, since Tomlin is just Pittsburgh's third coach in 38 years.

"When Cowher retired, everybody in the league wanted two of our guys, so you'd think we would want at least one of them," said Faneca, and All-Pro this season. "But the Rooneys have a process they go through, and it's a good process. Hopefully it will work out for the best."

But Parker, the Steelers' rising running back on his first Pro Bowl trip, needed just one meeting with Tomlin to be sold.

"He made a hell of a first impression," Parker said. "He came and found me, and we had a big meeting in his office about what he expects out of me. He seems like a great guy, a tremendous guy. It's going to be really exciting to play for him."

Parker said he was bowled over by Tomlin's passion for football. Polamalu, Pittsburgh's three-time Pro Bowl safety who also met with Tomlin, is waiting to see what that intensity means.

"The first impression doesn't go too far in this world," Polamalu said. "It's about how you execute, and what you do with it. We'll see how things go once we really get down to work."

Faneca and defensive tackle Casey Hampton haven't yet met Tomlin, but Hampton also is looking forward to next season after speaking with Vikings defensive stars Kevin Williams and Pat Williams.

"I heard he's a real smart guy, very cool," Hampton said. "I don't know much yet, but it might be a real different experience."

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17834693&BRD=2212&PAG=461&dept_id=465816&rfi=6

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Troy certainly sounds like he can't wait to sign up for a long term contract renewal and be sure he gets to play out his career with Tomlin doesn't he?:smile:

Troy and Faneca both spoke from the heart but it does not seem as if either of them are wildly enthusiastic about the new regime - while realistic, a wait and see attitude is not exactly what you want to hear from 2 stars in the last year of their current contracts.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Well it doesn't matter what the players think. If they don't get aboard with Mike Tomlin. Then to hell with them. Its a new era in Pittsburgh so the players better get used to it. I'm glad Fast Willie has the right idea.

Stlrs4Life
02-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Sounds like some of the players like Faneca are holding judgement, guess that is to be expected.

alittlejazzbird
02-09-2007, 09:18 PM
I chalk up the divergent comments to basic differences in human nature, that's all. Some people are naturally more reserved than others (Willie Parker has never fallen under the heading of reserved, LOL!). In fact, while I was reading the article and I read Troy's comment, my first thought was that it was exactly what I would have expected him to say. He definitely marches to his own beat -- remember the Gatorade "propaganda" comments? -- and really, he's 100% right. First impressions aren't always accurate. As much as we're all excited to hear what Coach Tomlin plans to do, the ultimate proof will be in how it all plays out.

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Well it doesn't matter what the players think. If they don't get aboard with Mike Tomlin. Then to hell with them. Its a new era in Pittsburgh so the players better get used to it. I'm glad Fast Willie has the right idea.

Well, yeah it does matter. If Tomlin does not gain the respect of the stars on the team they can go elsewhere and it will be lot less than 15 years from now before AJR II holds his next press conference to announce the hiring of a new coach. Just ask the Giants how a team performs for a coach the players hate.

I wanted an outside hire but it is not surprising that the vets on a team that has been fairly successful are not thrilled a lot of the coaching staff is gone. The players need to be receptive to the new regime but it is not as if the old way of doing things, which Tomlin is going to replace, are not regarded by change resistant vets as needing to be replaced.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Well, yeah it does matter. If Tomlin does not gain the respect of the stars on the team they can go elsewhere and it will be lot less than 15 years from now before AJR II holds his next press conference to announce the hiring of a new coach. Just ask the Giants how a team performs for a coach the players hate.

I wanted an outside hire but it is not surprising that the vets on a team that has been fairly successful are not thrilled a lot of the coaching staff is gone. The players need to be receptive to the new regime but it is not as if the old way of doing things, which Tomlin is going to replace, are not regarded by change resistant vets as needing to be replaced.

Players can be replaced. I like Troy but he can go to hell if he is going to be a little bitch and not be happy with Tomlin as HC. Thats what I'm saying Bill Cowher is gone and these players better get used to that. As for Alan Faneca he is starting the downside of his career. No big deal if he leaves. He is still a very good LG but his prime years are probally behind him.

Agan Willie Parker has the right idea and the rest of the team should follow his example. By all accounts it sounds Hines Ward and Big Ben are happy with the hire of Tomlin. So I'm not as worried as you about the stars getting behind Mike Tomlin. Like I said the ones that don't then **** them.

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2007, 09:40 PM
I respectfully will agree to disagree on this. In the free agent era it is a lot easier to replace coaches than players, as evidenced by the revolving door NFL HCs travel through these days.

In the pre-FA days you would never have heard a player like Faneca say to the press he wishes someone else got the HC job. But unless he gets injured, Faneca has a lot of options after 2007 and it is not as if this is the 70s Steelers brimming with backup talent to replace the current Pro Bowl members of the team.

tony hipchest
02-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Troy certainly sounds like he can't wait to sign up for a long term contract renewal and be sure he gets to play out his career with Tomlin doesn't he?:smile:

Troy and Faneca both spoke from the heart but it does not seem as if either of them are wildly enthusiastic about the new regime - while realistic, a wait and see attitude is not exactly what you want to hear from 2 stars in the last year of their current contracts.lol. "steelers intrigued" was a definite poor choice of words by the author. so far it seems that tomlin is being accepted about as well ats the proverbial "red headed step child".

faneca has always been a hard sell. his matter-of-fact remarks are strikingly similar to those he made when t. maddox went down and he was asked if he was excited to play with a rookie qb.

willie parker seems to be the "bright eyed and bushy tailed" type of person, no matter what the situation.

its kind of refreshing to see that some of the players feel the same way about these wholesale changes as i do as a fan- kind of skeptical.

i guess the old coaching regime was like the "cool dad" who would share a brew with you every once in a while as a teenager. maybe not a conventional thing to do, but something an impressionable youth appreciated. (rusty griswold from "vacation" comes to mind). it is possible a little too much "beer drinking" was going on and the players are just worried about a more strict leader.

i can see why the players would run through a brick wall for cowher and his staff. but if 1st impressions mean anything i can see where tomlin can quickly win them over and soon have them just as enthusiastic to play for him. he definitely doesnt seem overwhelmed or intimidated by the challenge and knows what hes up against and that the players reactions are normal.

i hope im right, cause if i am, the steelers will just keep on keeping on and it should be a fairly smooth transition.

tony hipchest
02-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Players can be replaced. players CAN be replaced, by every team, every year. superbowl talent cannot. tomlin isnt going to win the games. the players are.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-09-2007, 09:48 PM
I respectfully will agree to disagree on this. In the free agent era it is a lot easier to replace coaches than players, as evidenced by the revolving door NFL HCs travel through these days.

In the pre-FA days you would never have heard a player like Faneca say to the press he wishes someone else got the HC job. But unless he gets injured, Faneca has a lot of options after 2007 and it is not as if this is the 70s Steelers brimming with backup talent to replace the current Pro Bowl members of the team.

Of course its easier to replace coaches. But Alan Faneca or Troy Polamalu won't be the last star players the Steelers lose in free agency. Just look at how many free agents Bill Cowher lost each year before Heinz Field opened in 2001? The Steelers still were a good team for the most part thanks to having a winner a HC. I think Tomlin is a winner and the Steelers will be fine in the long run with him even if all the stars don't stay.

The player just need to shut up and play football. Like I said let Faneca leave he is starting to get up there and his best years are behind him. I really wouldn't pay a ton of money to keep him like he is going to want. I like Troy and hope he is resigned. But if he is going to have an attitude over Tomlin being the HC then screw him. We can find another safety.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-09-2007, 09:51 PM
players CAN be replaced, by every team, every year. superbowl talent cannot. tomlin isnt going to win the games. the players are.

Bill Cowher did fine with replacing players alot in his first 6 years Tony I would say. He made the play-offs in his first six years with him lossing free agents every year. I think Tomlin is going to be a very good HC. So I'm not as worried as some. Thats my point if certain players don't like Tomlin then screw them. You play your best no matter who the coach is. I didn't like my high school coach but I still gave him my all and respected him. Its part of playing the game.

Preacher
02-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Bill Cowher did fine with replacing players alot in his first 6 years Tony I would say. He made the play-offs in his first six years with him lossing free agents every year. I think Tomlin is going to be a very good HC. So I'm not as worried as some. Thats my point if certain players don't like Tomlin then screw them. You play your best no matter who the coach is. I didn't like my high school coach but I still gave him my all and respected him. Its part of playing the game.

It is simple. The Coach is the boss, the players are the workers. If the workers can't handle the boss, then they need to go somewhere else.

Now, I don't see that as the issue here. Can anyone show me a quote where Polamalu says ANYTHING positive OR negative... before he has THOROUGHLY thought about it? That is just the type of person he is. Read back over his comments. Basically he said, "Yeah, he has great intensity and makes a great impression... but so what. Let's wait until we see what he can actually do." In context, isn't that TYPICAL Polamalu?

And then for Fanaca... don't forget this quote, "But the Rooneys have a process they go through, and it's a good process. Hopefully it will work out for the best." So let's not paint this too drastic.

tony hipchest
02-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Bill Cowher did fine with replacing players alot in his first 6 years Tony I would say. He made the play-offs in his first six years with him lossing free agents every year. I think Tomlin is going to be a very good HC. So I'm not as worried as some. Thats my point if certain players don't like Tomlin then screw them. You play your best no matter who the coach is. I didn't like my high school coach but I still gave him my all and respected him. Its part of playing the game.bill cowher did fine because he didnt piss away the talent he inherited and the steelers didnt get rid of players like dermonti dawson, rod woodson, or greg lloyd just because they took a "wait and see" appraoch with their new coach like our current players seem to be doing.

sure, tomlin could be a winner, but faneca and polamalu are proven winners. tomlin has won a superbowl, but he didnt do it without pro bowlers such as warren sapp, derrick brooks, john lynch, and ronde barber.

he wont be a winner on his name and potential alone and we cant expect him to luck out and draft a "tom brady" for every player who is let go.

tony hipchest
02-09-2007, 10:09 PM
It is simple. The Coach is the boss, the players are the workers. If the workers can't handle the boss, then they need to go somewhere else.

Now, I don't see that as the issue here. Can anyone show me a quote where Polamalu says ANYTHING positive OR negative... before he has THOROUGHLY thought about it? That is just the type of person he is. Read back over his comments. Basically he said, "Yeah, he has great intensity and makes a great impression... but so what. Let's wait until we see what he can actually do." In context, isn't that TYPICAL Polamalu?

And then for Fanaca... don't forget this quote, "But the Rooneys have a process they go through, and it's a good process. Hopefully it will work out for the best." So let's not paint this too drastic.fanecas, willies, and troys reactions are totally in synch with their personalities. they lost a great group of coaches. im sure they all wonder why cowher, grimm, and whiz were replaced.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-09-2007, 10:09 PM
bill cowher did fine because he didnt piss away the talent he inherited and the steelers didnt get rid of players like dermonti dawson, rod woodson, or greg lloyd just because they took a "wait and see" appraoch with their new coach like our current players seem to be doing.

sure, tomlin could be a winner, but faneca and polamalu are proven winners. tomlin has won a superbowl, but he didnt do it without pro bowlers such as warren sapp, derrick brooks, john lynch, and ronde barber.

I know all this Tony. Just saying Cowher did lose players like Chad Brown but the Steelers always drafted smart and had a Jason Gildon waiting in the wings. Other players like Barry Foster left and Cowher singed Eric Pegrem and drafted Bam Morris. Bam ended up being a turd but that combo at RB was huge for the Steelers making it to the Super Bowl XXX. Then when Bam had his problems and another hole at RB emerged they traded for Jerome Bettis. The Steelers/Cowher were smart at replacing their/his losses. So hopefully Tomlin will just as smart.

All I'm saying I'm pumped as a fan with Mike Tomlin. I'm ready to suit up. These players that get paid millions should be just as pumped or even more. That was my point but like alawys people always read more into it.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-09-2007, 10:18 PM

And then for Fanaca... don't forget this quote, "But the Rooneys have a process they go through, and it's a good process. Hopefully it will work out for the best." So let's not paint this too drastic.

I'm not saying that Troy or Faneca will be problems. But there should be no doubt about Mike Tomlin. Lets see Russ Grimm as a HC thats just laughable. Have another beer Russ. You f'ing drunk. The Steelers dealt with doubt this past season with Cowher and is he coming back or not. I don't want to see another season go down the tubes especially with the talent this team has. So the players need to jump aboard quick since preparation for the 2007 will be starting come May/June with the mini camps.

tony hipchest
02-09-2007, 10:23 PM
All I'm saying I'm pumped as a fan with Mike Tomlin. I'm ready to suit up. These players that get paid millions should be just as pumped or even more. That was my point but like alawys people always read more into it.well, i think people just dont want to see players like faneca, or troy to be kicked to the curb.

seattles offense wasnt the same without hutchinson (maybe his absence led to alexander and hasselbeck getting hurt), and the ravens defens wasnt nearly as effective without ed reed.

faneca and polamalu are very imprtant and we cant just piss them into the wind. if tomlin is as good as advertised, then it is HIS job, and HE is getting paid, to go and win them over and motivate them to be what we have already seen them prove they are. winners and champions. tomlin has got work to do too and has got to earn his keep. its a 2 way street, not "my way or the highway".

i think tomlin knows this and is up for the task.

Preacher
02-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm not saying that Troy or Faneca will be problems. But there should be no doubt about Mike Tomlin. Lets see Russ Grimm as a HC thats just laughable. Have another beer Russ. You f'ing drunk. The Steelers dealt with doubt this past season with Cowher and is he coming back or not. I don't want to see another season go down the tubes especially with the talent this team has. So the players need to jump aboard quick since preparation for the 2007 will be starting come May/June with the mini camps.

Actually... I didn't think you were saying that.

And I too was hoping for someone to come from the outside. Mainly, because I thought they were getting WAY too comfortable. But then again, that is just me on the outside.

MJ5150
02-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Faneca doesn't sound happy at all. Oh well, he will probably retire after next year anyway. No sense in letting some guy on his way out of the league have an impact on a decision that will last long after he is gone.

-Mike

Black@Gold Forever32
02-09-2007, 10:36 PM
well, i think people just dont want to see players like faneca, or troy to be kicked to the curb.

seattles offense wasnt the same without hutchinson (maybe his absence led to alexander and hasselbeck getting hurt), and the ravens defens wasnt nearly as effective without ed reed.

faneca and polamalu are very imprtant and we cant just piss them into the wind. if tomlin is as good as advertised, then it is HIS job, and HE is getting paid, to go and win them over and motivate them to be what we have already seen them prove they are. winners and champions. tomlin has got work to do too and has got to earn his keep. its a 2 way street, not "my way or the highway".

I understand and I agree Tony. But still there still be some loyalty to the Steelers organization. The Steelers gave these players the chance to play in the NFL and have rewarded Alan Faneca. Plus I think I would trust the Rooney's track record of picking coaches. I just don't want no doubt in the players mind. Don't you think the players had doubt with the whole Cowher saga this year and that maybe did play a part in the Steelers 8-8 season?

Hey I just want the Steelers to win and some players maybe having attitudes since the Rooney's didn't hire within the organization could be a major problem. I'm not saying they will but I don't want no TO or Randy Moss drama. If so then those players need to go.

tony hipchest
02-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Don't you think the players had doubt with the whole Cowher saga this year and that maybe did play a part in the Steelers 8-8 season?

Hey I just want the Steelers to win and some players maybe having attitudes since the Rooney's didn't hire within the organization could be a major problem. I'm not saying they will but I don't want no TO or Randy Moss drama. If so then those players need to go.not only did the steelers have doubts about their sideline leader remaining with them, they had doubts of whether their new on the field leader would even survive his accident, let alone be able to ever be able to play football again. in the meantime they were supposed to enjoy being SB champs. i think not only were there lapses of focus, but there were many instances where players were playing outside of the system and trying too hard. everybody wanted to be the hero or savior.

i cant say that a new regime wont be as much of a distraction to the players. some players could have doubt and others could try too hard. maybe willie tries so hard his number of fumbles increases. we will see. but we do know the talent is there. the t.o. or moss types with the attitudes arent. i like that faneca and troy are being real about the situation. just like the players will have to be on their toes, it also keeps the new regime on their toes.

msafford
02-10-2007, 09:33 AM
lol. "steelers intrigued" was a definite poor choice of words by the author. so far it seems that tomlin is being accepted about as well ats the proverbial "red headed step child".

faneca has always been a hard sell. his matter-of-fact remarks are strikingly similar to those he made when t. maddox went down and he was asked if he was excited to play with a rookie qb.

This is exactly what I thought of when I read this article. I'm not too worried by any means here. If memory serves, Faneca was a HUGE Ben supporter by season's end. I think really think it's a case of the "awesome" media trying to drum up a little controversy. I guess that's their job, the stinking jackals! (the media that is)

slashsteel
02-10-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes you can't read too much into any article. Bottom line is Tomlin has to prove himself and win the players over. Much like Bill had to. Saying this I believe he will. The Vikings defensive players as well as fans liked what they saw in him a a D coach. I am sure we will all grow to love him as a head coach. One thing I see already is how gun ho the guy is. He surrounded himself with plenty of coaching experience. And I also read where he will have a hand in every process. Ike told me he made a good impression the other day. Some discount first impressions, but sometimes a first impression gives you a glimpse at whats inside the tunnel. I like what I see.

stillers4me
02-10-2007, 11:10 AM
I take everything the media says with a grain of salt. They love to stir the pot by taking one sentence or part of a quote and use it to take the things entirely out of context.

I believe the players that know Tomlin. My husband works in admissions at a small college here in Cinci. He was helping a young lady enroll and found out that her brother is Ray Edwards of the Minnesota Vikings. My hubby played for the Vikings as a free agent for a year in the seventies and the girl got out her cell phone and called her brother. My husband and Ray Edwards talked about that for a few minutes and then my husband asked him about Mike Tomlin. Ray Edwards had absolutely nothing bad to say about Tomlin. He said Tomlin is a great guy and an excellent coach......that he's really "in tune" to the players and that he was really sorry to see him leave.

I believe that once the Steelers get to know Tomlin, they are going to love him every bit as much as they loved Cowher and will want to perform at their highest level for him. It's human nature to skeptical at first but it seems it didn't take Tomlin long in Minnesota to win the guys over and now that he has been handed a playoff caliber team, he will also be performing at his highest level. The bar is set high in Pittsburgh, and Mike Tomlin knew that when he walked into his first interview. I'm not worried.

HeartofSteel
02-10-2007, 11:16 AM
I gotta say, I got no problem with players, be they leaders or not, remaining sceptical upon meeting their new head coach for the first time. Let's not forget this is a two way street - Tomlin needs to earn their respect as much as they do his if this team has any chance of being successful. You don't gain respect for a relatively inexperienced leader by simply having a conversation with them, especially a head coach. If some players want to use the press as a medium for challenging their new coach so he doesn't think he'll just slide into the position vacated by a future HOF coach, so be it.

I think all Polamalu and Faneca are saying here is, show us what you got. If Tomlin is everything they say he is, it won't take but a few days of training camp for the players to realize it. Showing your teeth on the field creates more of an impression than showing them in an office.

Basically we're all sceptical, with good reason, we shouldn't expect the players to pretend they're not. But then scepticism has a way of quickly disappearing when actions match words.

tony hipchest
02-10-2007, 11:20 AM
I gotta say, I got no problem with players, be they leaders or not, remaining sceptical upon meeting their new head coach for the first time. Let's not forget this is a two way street - Tomlin needs to earn their respect as much as they do his if this team has any chance of being successful. You don't gain respect for a relatively inexperienced leader by simply having a conversation with them, especially a head coach. If some players want to use the press as a medium for challenging their new coach so he doesn't think he'll just slide into the position vacated by a future HOF coach, so be it.

I think all Polamalu and Faneca are saying here is, show us what you got. If Tomlin is everything they say he is, it won't take but a few days of training camp for the players to realize it. Showing your teeth on the field creates more of an impression than showing them in an office.

Basically we're all sceptical, with good reason, we shouldn't expect the players to pretend they're not. But then scepticism has a way of quickly disappearing when actions match words.great take. pretty much sums up how i feel.

DACEB
02-10-2007, 11:32 AM
well, i think people just dont want to see players like faneca, or troy to be kicked to the curb.

faneca and polamalu are very imprtant and we cant just piss them into the wind. if tomlin is as good as advertised, go and win them over and motivate them to be what we have already seen them prove they are. winners and champions. tomlin has got work to do too and has got to earn his keep.

When I read the article I did'nt get the impression anyone was getting kicked to the curb.

I think when you look at this past season you have to put the majority of the blame on the coaching staff, the entire staff. The O-line played poorly, that was Grimms responsibility. The turnovers can also be attributed to a lack of focus, again on the coaches.
IMO it was time for a change, hence the new regime.

I am glad to see that we both agree coach Tomlin is up to the task. I was starting to worry about you Tony. :wink02:

augustashark
02-10-2007, 11:33 AM

???????????????

Even after you debated with THC and Atl, I don't see any logic in your post. "To Hell with them"? I'm so glad you don't own the company I work for, it would have exactly 1 employee, you.

Black@Gold Forever32
02-10-2007, 12:50 PM
???????????????

Even after you debated with THC and Atl, I don't see any logic in your post. "To Hell with them"? I'm so glad you don't own the company I work for, it would have exactly 1 employee, you.

Who the **** are you? Like I give a shit what you think anyway?lol

augustashark
02-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Who the **** are you? Like I give a shit what you think anyway?lol

You insult me and then put "lol" afterwards?????

I just don't agree with your "To Hell with them" theory that's all. Nice reply though.

Livinginthe past
02-10-2007, 01:24 PM
???????????????

Technically, if B&GF32 owned the company you worked for and he was the only employee of that company..... then you wouldn't be working for that company.

It would be something of a paradox.

NM

augustashark
02-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Technically, if B&GF32 owned the company you worked for and he was the only employee of that company..... then you wouldn't be working for that company.

It would be something of a paradox.

NM

Ture, but you know what I meant. I hope.

Livinginthe past
02-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Ture, but you know what I meant. I hope.

Course I did.

:wink02:

NM

steel#1
02-10-2007, 03:05 PM
All it seems to me that the players are saying is "Yeah, OK, He can talk the talk, now let's see if he can walk the walk." They are reserving judgement, so what, I am too. You have to wonder about things when they get rid of Whipple who had Ben have 2 great first seasons. Yeah last season stunk but that had more to do with circumstance than anything else. Tomlin's special teams coach last coached for the Rams for 3 years and they were like 27th, 28th, etc. in the league, I'm sorry but that raises questions. So like the players, I'll just adopt a wait and see attitude and hope for the best.

polamalufan43
02-10-2007, 03:10 PM
All it seems to me that the players are saying is "Yeah, OK, He can talk the talk, now let's see if he can walk the walk."

I agree. I think that's good that they are of course giving him a chance, but want to see what he will do. I mean, if you have to work with the guy for possibly the rest of your career, you should at least try to get to know him and give him a chance. But then again, you aren't going to treat him like the God Almighty every time you see him. Willie seems to like him, but not in an overly obsessive way.

~Polamalufan43:tt02:

MJ5150
02-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I don't think Tomlin derserves any more from the players than the "lets see" comments we have heard so far for the most part. At this moment, Tomlins HC record in the NFL is the same as mine.

If he gets out there and starts earning the trust and respect of the players, they will all come around. These guys just want to do what they are used to, win.

-Mike

Elvis
02-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Sounds like some of the players like Faneca are holding judgement, guess that is to be expected.
:tt02: :tt02: :tt02:
I agree brother... I cant say that I blame them for holding their thoughts until the guy has actually showed he is that kind of person that he is speaking like.. I hope that he does well and we make another serious run at No.6:helmet: :wave:

MommyDoc
02-10-2007, 11:36 PM

You, sir, know nothing of the man (Russ Grimm) of whom you talk, and I would appreciate it if you would refrain from making these sort of comments in the future as they could be construed as being SLANDER. I, who have known Russ for many years, do not appreciate such comments, and won't tolerate it.

NV STEELERS 723
02-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Did the Pens win?

MommyDoc
02-11-2007, 12:34 AM
Did the Pens win?

YES they did, in OT.....

Godfather
02-12-2007, 09:24 AM
faneca has always been a hard sell.

I'd guess he was probably biased in favor of his position coach too.